• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v2.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hippieslayer

Smash Ace
Totally agree with this. I think Ally, Nairo and Ranai clearly stand out when it comes to player vs player
Do you mean to say that they have in common the ability which I described as being Ally's greatest asset? The crazy perception thats lets Ally spot openings and foresee sequences of events which his opponents completely miss? Or that they are just all really good players, thus having that in common?

Last edited:

NegaNixx

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 116802

Here is yet another top player match-up chart. This time Sol's Mac
I'm definitely gonna have to disagree with Mac being even with MK.

MK should have no problem getting Mac offstage. It's one of the matchups where the meme holds true for Mac, purely because MKs offstage game is so potent (as well as his juggle game which his whole kit sets up for.) The MU is hella volatile though so I wouldn't argue more than +1 for MK's favour. I don't feel like Mac has anything that MK has to fear extensively, the biggest detriment would be MK getting up from the ledge, especially on FD.

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
I'm definitely gonna have to disagree with Mac being even with MK.

MK should have no problem getting Mac offstage. It's one of the matchups where the meme holds true for Mac, purely because MKs offstage game is so potent (as well as his juggle game which his whole kit sets up for.) The MU is hella volatile though so I wouldn't argue more than +1 for MK's favour. I don't feel like Mac has anything that MK has to fear extensively, the biggest detriment would be MK getting up from the ledge, especially on FD.
Yeah this, Mac has to fear being sent halfway offstage at all points of the game if the mk even thinks about grabbing him. I cant imagine this mu is any fun at all for a mac player

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Xaltis' reasoning for beating Falcon that hard seems a bit odd when she has Cloud as a -2 who's recovery is even worse without Limit. Rosalina's recovery isn't really that fantastic itself either considering it lacks a hitbox and is easy to intercept, especially as Falcon. That doesn't make it +2 in Falcon's favor.
Cloud's recovery is worse in the sense of how a single edgeguard can leave him dead, but falcon's is worse in the sense he's overall easier to cover. Can't put out any decent disjoints, can't recover high with dair, and is overall easier for rosa to cover all his recovery options.

He's more likely to make it back than cloud, but he's taking hits.

It's muuuch easier to keep falcon in a bad spot than it is to keep cloud disadvantaged.

Last edited:

Ninj4pikachu

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 116802

Also it's worth noting that this is one of the MUs where dark pit has an advantage over pit in that the horizontal knock back of dark pits side special makes gimping Mac considerably more manageable. I noticed that dark pit isn't listed and therefore assumed to be lumped with Pit. It's also kinda nice to have more knock back and damage on dark pits arrows since you don't need to shoot very low or high against Mac since his recovery is pretty linear. Agin it's enough to merit picking dark pit over pit.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
The 4BR had the best OP for the greatest YLYL thread in the history of ever and y'all ruined it by taking it seriously smh.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
View attachment 116802

Charizard losing to Little Mac is something I find very odd even if it's barely.

I will admit though. It's a very volatile matchup. The match is decided in one or two movements. Just depends on who gets that movement.

chaos11011

Smash Lord
NNID
IDSeason
Not as bad as Xaltis puts it for DH with his independence of projectiles, fact that Rosa can't GP gunshots, and her being light enough for pup to kill easier meaning he doesn't just get shut our. Rayquaza actually puts it at a slight disadvantage instead of a huge one.
I replied to Xaltis about this too. It's still a disadvantage but it's not that bad. We just change the way we set up shop. Gunmen and FAir spacing is key, and it helps a lot that if you hit a FAir on Rosa, you can UTilt into NAir Luma away.

Honestly, the biggest fault of the MU is the fact that we can't land. Can and NAir lose to Rosa's disjointed UAir.

TheGoodGuava

Smash Ace
Also it's worth noting that this is one of the MUs where dark pit has an advantage over pit in that the horizontal knock back of dark pits side special makes gimping Mac considerably more manageable. I noticed that dark pit isn't listed and therefore assumed to be lumped with Pit. It's also kinda nice to have more knock back and damage on dark pits arrows since you don't need to shoot very low or high against Mac since his recovery is pretty linear. Agin it's enough to merit picking dark pit over pit.
His recovery isn't really linear, its just short. He has a lot of mixups for it and even more if hes close to the ledge so I assume regular Pit arrows would be better in this matchup

Examples of Linear recoveries: Ganondorf, Falcon, Marth, DK

G. Stache

Smash Journeyman
Now I'm not going to go into the can of worms and delve into why I think Luigi actually beats Mac because I know that MU has a lot of mixed opinions going around...but what I will bring up that Mario is -3 for Mac and Doc is +3 for Mac. Something doesn't add up and I refuse to think that Doc and Mario are polar opposites when it comes to this MU. Can any Doc user give me the rundown on how they think this MU goes?

Ulevo

Smash Master
Little Mac has the best grounded neutral in the entire game, and the tools that Meta Knight normally relies on on the ground are directly countered by said neutral. It can actually be quite challenging to get a smart Little Mac into the air because dash grabs lose to his entire kit, and dash attack is a huge risk because the move will either clank with or get trampled by his normals, or get absorbed by super amor. Shielding is also minimal resource in this match up because you cannot take too much shield damage without risking a shield break from a downward angled forward smash. A lot of the time, even if you shield the normals, they have too much shield push back and the best punish you can get is a down smash or forward tilt. Not to mention that Little Mac kills Meta Knight at 0% with Down Tilt X2, K.O. Punch.

6:4 is possible, but the 5:5 Sol mentioned is reasonable as well. I think it is likely somewhere in the middle given that Sol has likely not played very good Meta Knights and he is typically going to be the better player. Still, this match up is very difficult to play properly, and I would argue it is more frustrating for the Meta Knight than the Little Mac.

BTVolta

Smash Apprentice
Mac beating Sheik? Can one of the Mac Mains here enlighten me on why that may be?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG5WH8qM4uY

This is what Sol posted in response to this question. He also stated he rarely drops a set to sheiks and he's 5-3 with Karna.

what I will bring up that Mario is -3 for Mac and Doc is +3 for Mac.
Sol admits he lacks some MU knowledge of some of the characters on the chart and Doc is one of them, so he slapped him in that section.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
User was warned for this post
How the **** Ryu **** slap Mac 65/35?

Hogwash imo

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Man Sol plays with Ryo regularly.

I'd think he'd believe Ike is closer to even because he's used to the MU, not one of LM's worst MUs. O_o

Also weird to see Pac-Man crushing somebody like that, though I can kinda see it? Trampoline probably ruins LM's game pretty hard.

Yikarur

Smash Master
I could imagine a lot of match-ups being worse for Little Mac if the opponent knows the match-up as much as Ryo seems to know the Little Mac MU.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ

I'd think he'd believe Ike is closer to even because he's used to the MU, not one of LM's worst MUs. O_o

Also weird to see Pac-Man crushing somebody like that, though I can kinda see it? Trampoline probably ruins LM's game pretty hard.
That's pretty much the name of the game. Putting a hydrant down is a liability, but trampoline stage control is gross against Mac. Otherwise, pacman can't really hope to fight little Mac in cqc. Not with that grab and semi safe aerials.

He can try to go in if he has a fruit in hand...has to be a high damaging one if he wants to defeat shield however.

Last edited:

EternalFlare

Smash Journeyman
How the **** Ryu **** slap Mac 65/35?

Hogwash imo
This.

Little Mac wants to be close to his opponent as does Ryu. And up close Little Mac is probably the best character and Ryu is forced to play his game. Ryu isn't great at edge guarding either so he can't exploit Mac's bad recovery more than average.

So I don't see what Ryu has that could possibly make him one of Mac's worst matchups.

Edit:

On the same note how does Little Mac beat Megaman 60:40? Megaman doesn't have to play near Litttle Mac's danger zones and has some pretty good edge guarding capabilities.

If anything I would assume Megaman wins solidly, he can't be an easy character for Mac to get in on, especially with him having the worst aerials in the game combined with Megaman's super safe nair.

Last edited:

YerTheBestAROUND

Smash Journeyman
Playing Zelda: Breath of the Wild for eternity.
His recovery isn't really linear, its just short. He has a lot of mixups for it and even more if hes close to the ledge so I assume regular Pit arrows would be better in this matchup

Examples of Linear recoveries: Ganondorf, Falcon, Marth, DK
Falcon's not as linear as the others, he can weave a fair amount, for exmple, go high, weave back and snap ledge. Still fairly easy to cover though.
Mac beating Sheik? Can one of the Mac Mains here enlighten me on why that may be?
Id say it's more even. Sheik's edge guarding tends to be rather linear, and Mac doesn't have as many problems with linear edge guarding like Sheik's. Their both neutral monster's but a good amount of Sheik's approaches are from the air which (pp) utilt cn cover nicely, not to mention super armor.

Mac cannot recover against Ike. Eruption, fair, and dtilt destroy any attempt at recovery. It really is one of our worst MUs.

Things I disagree with on Sol's list:
Cloud: Not quite that bad, kinda like Sheik it's two neutral monsters fighting and Cloud's neutral is very aerial based. It's not in our favor but I wouldn't say it's as bad as pac man or ike.
Ryu: If anything Mac beats ryu but only slightly, not anything worse than 55-45. I'm more inclined to call it even. There isn't anything Ryu does that really makes Mac struggle and vice versa. Good means for dealing with FA (reminder, FA is not the entire MU)
Mario: I'd put Mario down in the Sonic and Marth area. Disdvantage for sure, but the only thing that really is problematic is FLUDD, which can be avoided fairly well, just make sure you're not trying to use a recovery move while getting hit by it.
Ike as I mentioned is bad and I'd actually bump him up to where Pacman's at.
King Dedede: I think we beat Dedede. Gordos are dealt with fairly easily, good smash attacks for ensuring Dedede doesn't live too long, easier to combo with our normals. Worth noting that Dedede dies probably the latest out of all charactes when hit by KO Punch. Most characters die around 18% to a stray punch, little earlier if you're light like fox (around 16% in his case), a little later if you're heavier. Dedede dies around 23%. 'course you can combo into it with dtilt and stuff to get to the right percent too provided you don't end up losing it.

sorry if formatting or something's a little bad these hospital drugs makin me a bit loopy

ElectricBlade

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Haruhisuzumia
3DS FC
1203-9228-7596
I have sort of an odd question and I am not sure exactly where to ask. If the opponent is playing a bait and punish style game against you what sort of playstyle should you use to combat it? I was think go into bait and punish yourself (trying to bait them into attacking you since they`re waiting). What are your ways of combating that?

(To give an example, lets say you are playing against a Captain Falcon that use a lot of empty hops and dash dances)

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Just throwing this out there but there is not a single button Mac has that Ryu cannot punish on block besides dtilt which Ryu outranges with his normal poking tools. Everything else is a free d-smash on block even if Mac spaces perfectly. So in terms of raw footsies, it is literally a giant game of chicken but Ryu punishes better and more consistently.

I think it's even btw.

Other fun buttons Ryu can punish on block with d-smash

Fox u-tilt (!!)
Sheik f-tilt (!!!!)
Bayonetta d-tilt (!)
Pit f-tilt and d-tilt
Corrin d-tilt
Ike d-tilt

There are others of course.

lol yall don't know **** about this character.

Last edited:

EternalFlare

Smash Journeyman
Just throwing this out there but there is not a single button Mac has that Ryu cannot punish on block besides dtilt which Ryu outranges with his normal poking tools. Everything else is a free d-smash on block even if Mac spaces perfectly. So in terms of raw footsies, it is literally a giant game of chicken but Ryu punishes better and more consistently.
You keep saying this but it's incorrect.

A perfectly spaced Smash attack from Little Mac CANNOT be punished on block with a Ryu DownSmash especially with a bit of charge on it. You'll be pushed too far back for this to be possible (downSmash OOS will whiff). The exception is if you got a power shield.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Pretty huge risk to throw out such an attack in neutral.

I mean...if Little Mac misjudges he will probably die or take some real damage plus be put in a bad position.

So yeah....your point is invalid. I like you though.

Try again.

And anyway dsmash may not hit there but that is still -9 on block so dash grab is a viable punish.

Your move.

Last edited:

EternalFlare

Smash Journeyman
Pretty huge risk to throw out such an attack in neutral.

I mean...if Little Mac misjudges he will probably die or take some real damage plus be put in a bad position.

So yeah....your point is invalid. I like you though.

Try again.

And anyway dsmash may not hit there but that is still -9 on block so dash grab is a viable punish.

Your move.
How is my point invalid? You claimed every move could be punished with downSmash on block except for Dtilt. This is clearly not the case and Little Mac's Smash attacks are a lot safer than normal Smash attacks, throwing them out occasionally in neutral isn't a terrible idea.

Edit:

Okay so Ryu's dash grab is 8-9 frames but that's assuming he's within range of the initial dash. He might not be after factoring in the push back.

Last edited:

jet56

Smash Journeyman
Mac main here gonna try to give my input on some of this.

Ryu: It literally is like playing street fighter. Both characters are playing footsies and jocking for position in neutral all game. I'd say 55-45 ryu favor, due to s stronger punish game, and him winning neutral is better for him than mac. I will say that ryu does have a hard time getting in on a competent mac though. I have also played solid ryus like b3toh, apachai, and big D from Canada.
Metaknight: Tbh, I think its 55-45 mac. We shut metaknight down HARD in neutral. Holding jab is enough to take away all his approach options, and dtilt makes it difficult for him to punish from shield. His weight and fall speed also make him combo food, so our punish game on him becomes scary (dtilt to jc upsmash is true and kills at 80). Also, for as amazing as his air game is, his moved don't have a lot of knockback, so getting back to stage isn't difficult till almost 110%, and even then, he has a hard time besting an aerial side b due to his short range.

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
How is my point invalid? You claimed every move could be punished with downSmash on block except for Dtilt. This is clearly not the case and Little Mac's Smash attacks are a lot safer than normal Smash attacks, throwing them out occasionally in neutral isn't a terrible idea.

Ryu's initial dash is about 11 frames before can do anything else. So again, they aren't feasible punishes versus his spaced Smash attacks. Even if were possible, the risk/reward would still be in Mac's favour usually as Ryu doesn't get much off grabs.
When you have a recovery, recovery options, and landing options like Little Mac then getting grabbed is always something to fear. I think you need to remember who we're talking about here.

Mac ain't no air fighter.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Hmm, I was under the impression that you could enter certain commands during an initial dash and didn't have to go through all of the opening frames before that action came out?

If not then you are correct.

Also just scoped some data. Ryu CAN punish mac dtilt on block, but...gotta be frame perfect. Not worth imo.

EternalFlare

Smash Journeyman
Hmm, I was under the impression that you could enter certain commands during an initial dash and didn't have to go through all of the opening frames before that action came out?

If not then you are correct.

Also just scoped some data. Ryu CAN punish mac dtilt on block, but...gotta be frame perfect. Not worth imo.
Yeah that was my mistake. Ryu's dash grab is 8-9 frames according to Kurogane Hammer. I'm assuming that means the command is entered and registered while the dash is still occurring as you said. So a dash grab punish should be possible.

But again that's assuming they are within range of the very initial dash. Pushback on his Smash attacks are quite significant so I'm not sure if it'd work (if an even slightly longer dash is required it definitely won't). I've personally never gotten dash grab punishes to work on Little Mac with any character versus spaced Fsmashes but it's hard to tell if I'm simply mistiming it.

Edit:

I really wish Smash had a record feature in training mode. It would help so much in testing certain scenarios.

You could for instance, in this case set Little Mac to Fsmash then spot dodge on loop. Then it'd be easy to check which characters could dash grab punish after blocking at max range.

Frame data is nice but due to shield pushback and later active frames (a move might be active on a certain frame but might not reach the opponent until much later) it's not enough to tell the whole story.

Hold on I remembered something, you might be on to something here.

Smash 4 has buffering and I believe this is also true OOS (you should be able to buffer options while in shield stun). If this is the case, a frame perfect punish might not be too hard as you get a few extra frames of leniency.

If that's the case, at close range if Mac touches Ryu's shield with anything he should be able to buffer OOS DownSmash and punish it.

When you have a recovery, recovery options, and landing options like Little Mac then getting grabbed is always something to fear. I think you need to remember who we're talking about here.

Mac ain't no air fighter.
That's true but Ryu isn't the best at juggling so he can't exploit Mac's bad landing options moreso than normal. Similarly DownSmash is great for edgeguarding Mac but nearly every character has options that hit below the ledge so that doesn't make him stand out.

I agree Ryu still has a better punish game in the matchup and a much better disadvantage state making the matchup close to even.

Last edited by a moderator:

verbatim

Smash Ace

I'm like 90% sure @BSP is the reason Sol put Pacman in that category. He can explain better.

But yes, you will be using trampoline more times than you don't if you're playing the matchup optimally.

Jehtt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TurboJett
On the same note how does Little Mac beat Megaman 60:40? Megaman doesn't have to play near Litttle Mac's danger zones and has some pretty good edge guarding capabilities.

If anything I would assume Megaman wins solidly, he can't be an easy character for Mac to get in on, especially with him having the worst aerials in the game combined with Megaman's super safe nair.
It's surprisingly difficult to zone Mac. You must be careful about where you jump, or you could be eating an f-smash. His Dash Attack can also power through lemons with its good burst speed. Combined with good ground speed and long reaching Cannot Rebound f-tilt, Mac can force his way to where he wants to be. Mega Man is best in this MU if he tries to hold an Metal Blade as much as possible, since it can punish most of Mac's moves on shield. It can also be used to condition him not to Dash Attack, since shielding is a more readily available option when holding the MB as opposed to firing pellets.
I wouldn't say the MU is 6:4 in favor of Mac, especially with Mega Man's edge guarding being able to cover a lot of options at once, but I wouldn't call you crazy if you said Mac had a slight advantage. Personally, I lean more towards 50/50.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend

wrath made a sonic mu chart
I agree with the Link vs Sonic MU. Sonic's weird, on BF/Lylat the MU feels reasonable but on big stages like FD or DH it's just hell. Do other characters have a big difference in the Sonic MU based on the stage? ( @ thread)

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
what I will bring up that Mario is -3 for Mac and Doc is +3 for Mac. Something doesn't add up and I refuse to think that Doc and Mario are polar opposites when it comes to this MU. Can any Doc user give me the rundown on how they think this MU goes?
Even or small advantage for Doc.

LM has strong burst punishes, KO options, and spacing tools, but Doc can get huge damage off of throws, and can kill Mac early with D-Throw to Fair or a stray hit.

Tweets from Alphicans (Top 5 LM) and 2MC suggest the same thing.

2MC
https://twitter.com/TEG_2ManyCooks/status/771213473309007872
https://twitter.com/TEG_2ManyCooks/status/771215682960699392
https://twitter.com/TEG_2ManyCooks/status/771216073626521600

Alphicans
https://twitter.com/TEG_Alphicans/status/771203341841936384
https://twitter.com/TEG_Alphicans/status/771213874502656000
https://twitter.com/TEG_Alphicans/status/771214738411749376
https://twitter.com/TEG_Alphicans/status/771214822541185024
https://twitter.com/TEG_Alphicans/status/771215361505054720
https://twitter.com/TEG_Alphicans/status/771215513330397184

YerTheBestAROUND

Smash Journeyman
Playing Zelda: Breath of the Wild for eternity.

You know how Palutenas don't use her tilts? That's what you do with Mac aerials for the most part. Mac's aerials have absolutely nothing to do with his neutral or disadvantage aside from the occaisional nair combo breaker. You're only gonna use Mac's aerials in advantage to add on a bit of extra damage, say, utilt > u/bair, dtilt > fair > follow up, dair resets. Even then you're not gonna do it a lot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom