• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v2.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Such is the fate of a Ryu player that has crazy thoughts.

Thoughts like hey, my character can actually dictate neutral.

Silly trela

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Mr. R dropped 2 more sets to Leo at Ignition 60. Record this year is now 7-2 Leo's favor.

ARISTOS

Smash Ace
Panda Global (PG) | Trela

Category 4: 139.6
CEO 2016: 385th
EVO 2016: 9th
Super Smash Con 2016: 25th

Category 3: +25%
N/A

Category 2: 25.5
2GGT: Fresh Saga: 1st
Endgame: 33rd

Category 1: 3
Impact: 1st
RIP City 10: TGC Edition: 1st
Austin is Really Feeling It 12: 1st
TCG 8: 1st
Shockwave Plano 99: 1st
Impact 2: 5th
Come and Take it 3: 1st

AVERAGE PLACEMENT: 70
It shouldn't count overall, but could you do an avg placement for people like Trela without some of the massive outliers? Would be interesting to see.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
It shouldn't count overall, but could you do an avg placement for people like Trela without some of the massive outliers? Would be interesting to see.
It's 18.8 if I exclude CEO's result. The 25% penalty for not attending a category is going to be increasingly harsh the higher your number is, but without it, Trela's still at 53 with the CEO result, still the worst average.

It's really the only huge outlier on the list I've found so far that skews things badly since the number is so big, but that's a big reason why I'm not using this as the exclusive method since outliers do happen.

FeelMeUp

Smash Lord
NNID
BathMonster
Thanks. Ok so what's everyone's opinion on spikes I really want to know. Terrible or great?!
Take some time to lurk and study the thread before participating. Very surface level, non-constructive, or "obvious" comments slow down discussion and make it increasingly difficult to talk about higher level topics.
The same goes for you.... N Nathan Richardson ? I believe that's who it was.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If there's something that offs me in character discussion it's something like "If character didn't have X tool, they'd be low/bottom tier" or something along those lines. (ex. :4link: without bombs, :4rob: without Gyro, :4corrinf: without Lunge,:4shulk: without Arts)

If an important part of a character's toolkit were to be removed completely or toned down significantly, of course they'd be worse. For example, Bowser's buff to his uthrow helped tie a lot of his moveset together a lot better.

YerTheBestAROUND

Smash Journeyman
Playing Zelda: Breath of the Wild for eternity.
If there's something that offs me in character discussion it's something like "If character didn't have X tool, they'd be low/bottom tier" or something along those lines. (ex. :4link: without bombs, :4rob: without Gyro, :4corrinf: without Lunge,:4shulk: without Arts)

If an important part of a character's toolkit were to be removed completely or toned down significantly, of course they'd be worse. For example, Bowser's buff to his uthrow helped tie a lot of his moveset together a lot better.
And at the same time, there are characters who don't have something so important to their move set like a Marth jab, or a Bowser uthrow, or in certain cases they do have something resembling it but their move set just doesn't fit well with it, like Zelda's d/utilt for example where the rest of her aerials outside of nair are just so slow or precise for moves to flow together well (Seriously Sakurai, get rid of those horrible moves, just replace them with something that does consistent damage). Falco has plenty of great tools, but no good way of ensuring that the opponent is close enough to him to allow him to utilize them because his lasers are garbage.

The characters that are good don't have to have X broken move, but they need something that allows them to use effectively use their tools. The more of those you have, the better off you'll be.

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
Take some time to lurk and study the thread before participating. Very surface level, non-constructive, or "obvious" comments slow down discussion and make it increasingly difficult to talk about higher level topics.
The same goes for you.... N Nathan Richardson ? I believe that's who it was.
Honestly I haven't commented in awhile and simply been lurking because the topic has been switching so often that it gets hard to keep track of what we're discussing. One page we're talking about character setups, the next we're talking about 'x players matchup with y using z character at x tournament'. I've been trying to keep my comments quote on quote 'constructive' and trying not to comment until then but tbh it's hard and in some cases I don't realize what i've said is non-constructive or 'obvious' until someone else points it out to me.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
I mean, a hoo ha/ding dong/beep boop will "tie" anyone's kit together.
I was going to disagree, but after thinking about it, there are pretty much no exceptions to this. I was thinking Rosa, but her dash attack/grab desync thing would be obscene, and actually tie her kit together :/

D

Deleted member

And at the same time, there are characters who don't have something so important to their move set like a Marth jab, or a Bowser uthrow, or in certain cases they do have something resembling it but their move set just doesn't fit well with it, like Zelda's d/utilt for example where the rest of her aerials outside of nair are just so slow or precise for moves to flow together well (Seriously Sakurai, get rid of those horrible moves, just replace them with something that does consistent damage). Falco has plenty of great tools, but no good way of ensuring that the opponent is close enough to him to allow him to utilize them because his lasers are garbage.

The characters that are good don't have to have X broken move, but they need something that allows them to use effectively use their tools. The more of those you have, the better off you'll be.
Pretty much.

Falco also suffers from garbage mobility, meaning that he can't approach his opponents well himself.

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
So essentially what seperates a lot of top-tiers from the mid to low tiers is how they can utilize their moves and how their moves flow together well? Are there any exceptions to this rule?

blackghost

Smash Champion
i was hoping someone could actually drop video proof of a bayonetta reacting sdi. ive heard from multiple people (never a bayo player) say that she can always adjust her combos on reaction. is that actually true or not? because if thats true esam wouldnt have been as sucessful as he was ij those sets. he made certain combos and link look like they should never work

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
What do you want the video to show? The players' hands or something? How do you show Bayo nailing a combo where the response won't just be "they should have SDI'd even better"?

|RK|

Smash Marketer
What do you want the video to show? The players' hands or something? How do you show Bayo nailing a combo where the response won't just be "they should have SDI'd even better"?
By showing a video where someone does SDI perfectly and doesn't escape? If it can happen we'll be able to see it in a video.

Last edited:

FeelMeUp

Smash Lord
NNID
BathMonster
I have never seen a bayo reacting to SDI and making the combo extend further or as normal. All that has ever happened with ESAM level SDI is the combo being cut short with a nair or uair.
There were multiple instances where ESAM would flat out DOMINATE the neutral game and make Bayo's disadvantage look mediocre to bad by doing what I've been saying for ages; abusing the fact that Bats Within is a "just get hit more" option against horizontal combos.
Then when the Bayo actually got in they'd only do a measly 19-25% off a WT conversion. That is beyond terrible for the neutral she has. Diddy with banana>pummel>uthrow>aerial does that. Sheik Fthrow BF does that.

ArnoldPalmer

Smash Apprentice
I should really find a way to record, then I can show off diddys dumb low % conversions

Nairstool is a thing with more than just Greninja

Last edited:

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Seeing a lot of talk about ESAM. Gonna argue the other side and ask someone to post videos of SDIing out of Bayo's stuff with Rosa, Falcon, Mario, etc.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Bayo reacting to SDI is not just about extending combos. It also the possibility of creating frame traps and resets to start new setups if a Bayo can predict and react if, when and where the opponent is going to SDI out.

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
i play the character i know the launch angles as they normally work. with esam he was sdi straight down during a witch twist. there is nothing she can do in that position. if you sdi well on abk or wt bayo has to guess where you will be.
there is a huge difference between guessing (percentage chance to continue) and REACTING. we all kmow bayo can guess which direction you will sdi and continue but there have been players inisisting she can always react i want to see evidence for that claim. because watching esam gave a set full of evidence supporting that she cant.
@zidnye21 how is bayo going to frame trap you in mid air? if you escape her combo how is she going to reset you unless you airdodge into the ground? she cannot immediatly start another combo when she lands because of her lag from using specials so im just confused about what you are saying.

Last edited:

FeelMeUp

Smash Lord
NNID
BathMonster
I should really find a way to record, then I can show off diddys dumb low % conversions

Nairstool is a thing with more than just Greninja
i think people already know about the nair/dthrow footstool interactions at low %
what i'm talking about are consistent all % conversions, which is why i said grab throw aerial and not something like double bair or dair locks.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Again - what I've seen from Salem is incredible recognition. That is to say, he notices how people escape from his combos the first time he does it, and uses that information to catch them the second time. Of course, this isn't unique to Bayo, but it's there. Reacting is a whole 'nother story.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Where is this idea coming from that you can 'react' to SDI? How does that even make sense? Exactly what do you want to react to? By the time you see where your opponent chose to SDI towards ... it's already too late to react. At best you can try to predict where the opponent is going to be after his SDI inputs but reacting to it is not a thing.

:059:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
If Witch Twist was a single hit move then yes, "reacting" to the SDI would be a fruitless endeavor. But since Witch Twist is multi-hit, you're actively seeing which direction the opponent is actively SDIing, since the WT hitboxes don't do enough damage to give significant knockback so they're still caught in the move, and through the combination of WT's many hits and hitlag, you have a larger amount of time to respond appropriately.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I mean, a hoo ha/ding dong/beep boop will "tie" anyone's kit together.
It's a way to threaten you if you shield too much.

A lot of Melee characters that are top tier have this and in this game it's still very similar.

Exceptions being like Fox and Cloud. Who can stay being good despite this.

blackghost

Smash Champion
If Witch Twist was a single hit move then yes, "reacting" to the SDI would be a fruitless endeavor. But since Witch Twist is multi-hit, you're actively seeing which direction the opponent is actively SDIing, since the WT hitboxes don't do enough damage to give significant knockback so they're still caught in the move, and through the combination of WT's many hits and hitlag, you have a larger amount of time to respond appropriately.
then how do you explain what happened with esam? becuase the bayo player never once reacted to where esam was going to sdi. i saw bayo make some guesses but no reaction.

blackghost

Smash Champion
then how do you explain what happened with esam? becuase the bayo player never once reacted to where esam was going to sdi. i saw bayo make some guesses but no reaction.

Dagon97

Smash Journeyman
Where is this idea coming from that you can 'react' to SDI? How does that even make sense? Exactly what do you want to react to? By the time you see where your opponent chose to SDI towards ... it's already too late to react. At best you can try to predict where the opponent is going to be after his SDI inputs but reacting to it is not a thing.

:059:
you can generally see which direction your opponent is di'ing as you are performing the move, you have to commit to a direction because the sdi modifier in this game is rather low

a good example would be witch twist

NegaNixx

Smash Journeyman
So essentially what seperates a lot of top-tiers from the mid to low tiers is how they can utilize their moves and how their moves flow together well? Are there any exceptions to this rule?
There are other things that separate the top and low tiers, but those characters like :4peach::4pit::4robinm::4palutena::4shulk::4yoshi::4lucario: that are simply mediocre, they're the ones that miss that glue, be it a movement statistic, or a move to hold there moves together.

That or a free disadvantage state. That definitely helps.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
SHHHHH..

Nixx we don't talk about free disadvantage in here.

We have alot of folks in here that aren't woke yet and really think Sheik is playing the same game as other people when she is in a trap situation. We won't even get into how some of these moves have invincibility.

Nothing wrong with ZSS Flip Kick m i rite gaiz? Totally legit.

****ing kill me.

D

Deleted member

There are other things that separate the top and low tiers, but those characters like :4peach::4pit::4robinm::4palutena::4shulk::4yoshi::4lucario: that are simply mediocre, they're the ones that miss that glue, be it a movement statistic, or a move to hold there moves together.

That or a free disadvantage state. That definitely helps.
I don't know, I think Robin, Pit and Lucario have proved themselves to be above "mediocre" in this current meta. I'd even say Peach as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

HoSmash4

Smash Ace
With Leo and Mr.E both showing the ability to get top 8 at Category 1 majors as well as Marth being a solid placing character in general, I think its time we start considering Marth as a serious contender for top 10.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Geez someone pulls off perfect SDI vs Bayo at one tournament and how there is nothing but knee-jerk reactions on how SDI now kills Bayo and that she is now "exposed" and she fallING off

As I mentioned before, we will have to wait and see future results and matches with Bayo to see if it is true or not

Bayo is a character where it is almost impossible to predict where she will be in the meta. Comsidering how adaptable Bayo mains have been in the past and how much tech is being found for and against her on a regular basis

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
The big question that presents is who would he knock out of the top 10?

:4bayonetta::4diddy::4sheik::4cloud2::4sonic::rosalina::4zss::4mewtwo::4fox::4mario:

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
With Leo and Mr.E both showing the ability to get top 8 at Category 1 majors as well as Marth being a solid placing character in general, I think its time we start considering Marth as a serious contender for top 10.
No room for him there. Current top 10 is pretty solidified. He'd need to start winning nationals to bump somebody out of there at this point. He'll have to settle for 11th/12th with Meta Knight.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom