• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v1.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
For Corrin, other than actually show up to majors and place well I think Ryuga himself said that players need to level up their movement, incorporate foxtrot cancels or w/e we call this game's dash dancing alternative. I'm inclined to agree, and every character could afford to have better movement. Anything beyond that assumes I know better and/or actively pay close attention to top Corrin players, both of which are mostly false.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
I think Lucina's need to perhaps use her specific tools more often, and play even more patiently...
I don't know, have you ever seen a Lucina playing?... I know I haven't much.

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
For Rosalina, I can't really say. Dabuz IS Rosalina; he develops the Rosalina metagame. It's like teaching a granny how to suck eggs, so goes the old saying.

For Marth, I would like to see his players utilise his walk more. False uses Marth's walk pretty effectively. It's kind of hard to say what I want to see from Marth, because his neutral is still underdeveloped. If anything, I would like too see his players all maximise his neutral, because, while it's in general lackluster, it's manageable, and he has a fair few easy buttons at his disposal.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
For Rosalina, I can't really say. Dabuz IS Rosalina; he develops the Rosalina metagame. It's like teaching a granny how to suck eggs, so goes the old saying.

For Marth, I would like to see his players utilise his walk more. False uses Marth's walk pretty effectively. It's kind of hard to say what I want to see from Marth, because his neutral is still underdeveloped. If anything, I would like too see his players all maximise his neutral, because, while it's in general lackluster, it's manageable, and he has a fair few easy buttons at his disposal.
I have a personal preference for desyncing Luma more often. If someone's drifting too far to the side to catch with a juggle, Luma Shot > uair is stylish if it hits. I also noticed that using Luma in this way is more of a crowd pleaser than her usual fare.

That said, I'm nowhere near Dabuz's skill and perfectly willing to accept that this may not be optimal at the level he plays at.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136

Everything you said about marth confused me.

Underdeveloped neutral?

Underwhelming neutral?

Ay yo wtf is going on right now? Did I miss a memo?

Last edited:

hypersonicJD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
I don't have
3DS FC
2122-7467-7267
Speaking of metas. You know a meta game that is going to die slowly? Toon Link Meta game.

I'm really sad about what happened with Hyuga. And i'm even more sad with the fact that nobody is going to give him the chance to change his drinking problems or forgive him for his terrrible action. But anyway.

Something that impressed is how Kame used his Megaman's Metal Blade so efficiently. It was so amazing to see and it makes me wonder if Megaman really is top 15 material. That kind of kill confirms are really strong on a projectile character where he racks up damage with safety. And he maked his terrible MU look advantageous. But I think what can ilimit Megaman is a bit of a slow frame data. He doesn't have the fastest moves in the game. But it's not that bad either. Bair is a really good move with speed and killing power. Fair is a nice spacing tool in mid-range. And nair is obviously one of his best moves.

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo

Underdeveloped neutral?

Underwhelming neutral?

This pretty much. The whole reason to use marth is that he is a monster in neutral states lol.

Also people dont use Marths walk much because its not a very good walk and Marth generally has better movement options (extended dash dance, perfect pivotting, killing yourself off the side)

Piipp

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZebraJammiez
3DS FC
2681-1864-8125
rewatching VoiD vs Kame and man.....
VoiD completely THREW that set.....

another important thing to note:
People are putting too much into these results "because they're EVO."
I think we should keep WTFox and CEO in our heads longer than this one.
As much as I love Kame and his Megaman, I can't help but agree with you.

Game 1 was his no doubt about it. It was unfortunate that he SD'd, even though he ended up bringing it down to last hit. Kame was really wanting a Bthrow and ended up getting it.

Game 2 VoiD just did absolute work to him. Starting off super strong and 2 stock getting a super clean 30 - Death.

And Game 3 it was even pretty much the whole time until Kame got a very good conversion off of his MB.

But yes, I do agree with you when you say that was VoiD's set to win. And yeah, for the most part, EVO was a complete joke. Just because it's the biggest fighting game event of the year, people see these results as the most important ones. But really all these results do is hurt some people. Not taking away from some of the people that actually felt like they played very well, I'm just saying that because of things like awful time slots, some people were hindered in a very costly way.

Last edited:

Funen1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Funen1
I just had a very interesting thought.
What do you guys think the top level reps of your character should implement more/less in order to reach higher levels of success?
Something I feel even top-level Ness players haven't really done yet is optimize his throw combos. Considering grabs come much more at a premium now, getting the most damage and/or best stage positioning out of them is crucial. And yes, Ness does have more guaranteed stuff out of throws than just F-air strings. It's a bit telling when even FOW couldn't get throw combos going at low percent during his only match on stream at EVO (never mind that he still won handily).

That's kinda the position I've had about Ness as a whole for a while. Both Ness players and opponents figured out his general gameplan early on, and most of the improvements he can make at this point come down more to optimization of what he has. Though I almost wonder if Ness needs someone at a similar caliber to Ranai with his Villager to really reach that level.

Shady Shaymin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-3217-2048
Speaking of metas. You know a meta game that is going to die slowly? Toon Link Meta game.

I'm really sad about what happened with Hyuga. And i'm even more sad with the fact that nobody is going to give him the chance to change his drinking problems or forgive him for his terrrible action.
Oh yeah, after a girl is violated and probably traumatized, the first and most important thing we need to do is lament a fictional character's performance in a videogame, and immediately forgive this man because of this bull**** "troubled alcoholic" narrative people are using to rationalize his actions. Talk about priorities.

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
Oh yeah, after a girl is violated and probably traumatized, the first and most important thing we need to do is lament a fictional character's performance in a videogame, and immediately forgive this man because of this bull**** "troubled alcoholic" narrative people are using to rationalize his actions. Talk about priorities.
He's talking about TL's meta because this is the competitive impressions thread. This isn't Reddit, we actually have a specific range of topics to talk about.

Jexulus

Omnivore of the Year
NNID
Jexulus
3DS FC
3883-5870-2795
He's talking about TL's meta because this is the competitive impressions thread. This isn't Reddit, we actually have a specific range of topics to talk about.
It's more that it's in poor taste to bring it up at all right now.

In terms of competitive viability, Hyuga has done enough with Toon Link to show that someone can take up the mantle and do well with TL in his stead. Toon Link will be fine, and that's all I'm going to say about it.

Shady Shaymin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-3217-2048
No. He mentioned toon link in the context of defending Hyuga and imploring us to forgive him. I find that very, very inappropriate and distasteful.

Never mind the fact that it is absolutely not our position as players or fans of Hyuga to forgive him. None of us were the victims. It's also just not even relevant to CCI and I don't know why he felt the need to say that. I wouldn't even be bringing this up here if he hadn't first.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
The one thing people might say about him is his edgeguarding. I know that was a conversation a while back when he played M2K with Cloud.

hypersonicJD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
I don't have
3DS FC
2122-7467-7267
I'm not really imploring to everyone in here to forgive him. I just mean everybody in general. Top players. Other spectators and such. And he was developing the Toon Link meta game. If someone else comes in and is as good or even better that Hyuga then I wouldn't see a problem. But what I don't support is the fact that people want him dead or worse. He didn't **** someone. He was touching her in places she didn't feel comfortable. Which is still horrifying and should have never happened. And I do feel sorry for Jack's girlfriend. I have been more worried about Hyuga quite honestly. He deleted his facebook and twitter account. So I fear the worst.

I mean, I really would like people to give him another chance. Maybe not forgive what he did. But at least make him be able to redeem his huge mistake. To show us he can be better and trust him again.

If any mod wants to give me a notification or something. I will accept it. Because I really needed to take this out of my system. And I do apologize for bringing up this subject when it doesn't belong here.

Illuminose

Smash Ace
No one is talking about immediate forgiveness.

But MAYBE people think permanently removing him from every Smash tournament in the US forever is not the correct course of action, both given the circumstances and moreover that he's already facing major consequences and is not making excuses at all, focused on working toward reformation. I didn't want to say anything in this thread about Hyuga at all, but it really grinds my gears when people are too dense to see that this perspective exists. The alcohol is a reason, not an excuse. You can simultaneously take the situation seriously (look at the community backlash, also implement something like a 1 yr tourney ban) and not be impossibly aggressive to even reason with. I feel like people are too determined to take a strong, impulsive stance than to actually think about any solution that isn't the fullest extreme possible. Failing to realize that alcohol is a legitimate explanation is the difference between Hyuga being automatically labeled as an evil predator and a very large idiot with alcohol issues whose inhibitions/state of mind were severely altered by being black-out drunk, leading to the events. Both are serious issues and the actions should be treated seriously, but the context and intent matter just as much when determining a logical reaction and consequences.

CalamitySB

Smash Cadet
This is the Competitive Impressions thread. Take this conversation on Hyuga somewhere else please, preferably one of the plenty of places right now who will fit this topic just fine. People are passionate about this topic with incredibly strong opinions, a meaningful discussion will be difficult if not impossible until people can boil down, and even then it'll be challenging. Let the people involved decide what to do next and leave your opinions in a place where they'll be more satisfying to you and to everyone else whose observed this situation in the last 24 hours.

Anyways, to give this post some relevance. Toon Link's metagame will be fine if players are willing to use him. If Hyuga was the only person willing to push his metagame, then unless someone else takes his position, his metagame will stagnate just like most mid-low tiers. This is the case whenever a mid-low tier main with some relavance either switches or stops playing for a long period of time. The gravity of the situation will not change the issues and solutions to the problem. I just hope from a spectator's perspective that those who use Toon Link take this as a reason to advance as players quicker than others.

Last edited:

Jexulus

Omnivore of the Year
NNID
Jexulus
3DS FC
3883-5870-2795
This is the Competitive Impressions thread. Take this conversation on Hyuga somewhere else please, preferably one of the plenty of places right now who will fit this topic just fine.
/snip
Toon Link's metagame will be fine if players are willing to use him. /snip
I think there's an echo in here.

TheGoodGuava

Smash Ace

In my experiences extended dash dancing is a much better alternative to walking with Marth, the more I play him the more I realize how much his walk accel ruins his walk and its effectiveness

After all the buffs, his consistent strong results, and amazing performance at Evo, its inevitable that Marth is going to go up on the tier list and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he makes it as a top 20 character. His neutral is amazing and his edgeguarding ability is easily one of the best in the game.

CalamitySB

Smash Cadet
I think there's an echo in here.
Yeah, but sometimes it takes an echo to subside a thunderstorm. Especially when those with the ability to subside this aren't here right now, as this could have gotten so far out of hand. I apologize for the echo, as I know how much it would annoy me, but in a case with such passion thrown before, I hope you can understand it was with good intentions.

On a more competitive topic, I've been wondering about the relation between a player's character and their overall skill. Sure the best players are going to want to pick the best characters for the job, but how much of a victory is distributed between the character and the player? Is Mario top tier because he has won two majors, or are Anti and Ally just such fantastic players that they can take a good character and be great. Is Cloud high tier because of his lackluster results at EVO, or is there an issue with Cloud's player base that's causing them to be weaker players overall? Those are just general questions, but I hope what I'm asking is coming through.

Last edited:

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
I just had a very interesting thought.
What do you guys think the top level reps of your character should implement more/less in order to reach higher levels of success?
Top level Corrin's need to Side B more.

I mean it. Guys like Earth and Cosmos get it, but YOC is still holding back with the move. Against characters who can't punish you, there's really no reason not to abuse it.

Aside for that, I want to see more aggressive anti-ledge play. I cringe super hard when Corrin's go for the hail mary 2-frame with Fsmash. Corrin has so many better anti-ledge options than that.

Last edited:

FeelMeUp

Smash Lord
NNID
BathMonster
Yeah, but sometimes it takes an echo to subside a thunderstorm. Especially when those with the ability to subside this aren't here right now, as this could have gotten so far out of hand. I apologize for the echo, as I know how much it would annoy me, but in a case with such passion thrown before, I hope you can understand it was with good intentions.

On a more competitive topic, I've been wondering about the relation between a player's character and their overall skill. Sure the best players are going to want to pick the best characters for the job, but how much of a victory is distributed between the character and the player? Is Mario top tier because he has won two majors, or are Anti and Ally just such fantastic players that they can take a good character and be great. Is Cloud high tier because of his lackluster results at EVO, or is there an issue with Cloud's player base that's causing them to be weaker players overall? Those are just general questions, but I hope what I'm asking is coming through.
What you're essentially asking is if a player's better than their character, correct?
If so, I think there's multiple examples of that.
Dabuz is too good for Rosalina.
Ally/Anti are too good for Mario.
Larry and Fox are just right.
ESAM's not good enough for Pikachu anymore.
etc.

Bowserboy3

NNID
Bowserboy3

Underdeveloped neutral?

Underwhelming neutral?

Perhaps underdeveloped was the wrong word to choose. Maybe... under-optimised? I don't know. I do know, that each Marth player appears to play differently. For example, Mr.E plays with his headstrong approach, Pugwest edges towards the more defensive play, False utilises the walk far more than the others for example, that sort of thing. With most characters, there's a set thing every player does. With Marth, I see his players doing many different things. I suppose that is what I was getting at... I suck at explanations.

Maybe I am totally missing something, but can you explain to me how Marth's neutral is not underwhelming? How would you best describe it? I'd merely say passable at best (but like I said, I am most likely missing something very vital. Please explain!).

Last edited:

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Marth being under-optimised is an iffy statement there. Marth has a play style that enforces the player to play smoothly and aggressively at the same time. Marth's tipper is where the smoothness is, and the approach a player makes is the aggressiveness. With every Fire Emblem character, you have to play in a strategic and calculating manner. For Marth, an optimal playstyle's yet to be truly determined. Both offensive and defensive styles seem to work well for their own merit, though I do wonder if playing in both ways can make Marth a great character. Play with his combo moves defensively and kill moves heavily offensively.

Also, when will players use Pivot F-Smash for Marth? If Marth wants to have his playstyles optimised, then certainly using a Pivot F-Smash would work for defensive play.

Bowserboy3

NNID
Bowserboy3
Also, when will players use Pivot F-Smash for Marth? If Marth wants to have his playstyles optimised, then certainly using a Pivot F-Smash would work for defensive play.
Marth players don't use Pivot Fsmash because Fsmash is far too laggy to use in most situations, let alone to throw out as a defensive option. Why would Marth players use Pivot Fsmash, when they can use Pivot Ftilt? The move is not only easier to perform, but is better in this situation, because it comes out quicker, has more vertical and horizontal reach, and also ends quicker.

Marth's Ftilt in general is arguably one of the best in the game right now, and one of his best moves in general.

Last edited:

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
I think Lucina's need to perhaps use her specific tools more often, and play even more patiently...
I don't know, have you ever seen a Lucina playing?... I know I haven't much.
Going in throwing laggy Fairs with no spacing? Yeah, I stopped doing that months ago.

Something I feel even top-level Ness players haven't really done yet is optimize his throw combos. Considering grabs come much more at a premium now, getting the most damage and/or best stage positioning out of them is crucial. And yes, Ness does have more guaranteed stuff out of throws than just F-air strings. It's a bit telling when even FOW couldn't get throw combos going at low percent during his only match on stream at EVO (never mind that he still won handily).

That's kinda the position I've had about Ness as a whole for a while. Both Ness players and opponents figured out his general gameplan early on, and most of the improvements he can make at this point come down more to optimization of what he has. Though I almost wonder if Ness needs someone at a similar caliber to Ranai with his Villager to really reach that level.
D-Throw has 2 ways to DI it, foward or back. If it is foward, the opponent eats a Fair chain, or a Fair->Uair->mixup. If it is back, then it's Bair with no combo but possible followups. Ness D-Throw is not as brainless as Mario's and it needs some guessing where the opponent will DI, and you have to guess fast. Or go autopilot and Fair chain. Another thing that disturbs me about Ness players is using B-Throw when they know it won't kill. Just why?! Anyone with decent DI skills will survive it, why not using Up Throw? It does 10% and puts the opponent high in the air, so it is vulnerable to PKTs and to get landings catched with Uair/Bair.

EDIT: Forgot DI up, which prevents Fair chains but nets Uairs instead.

Last edited:

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
Right now, Evo is important, but since there were a lot of dumb things that could've adjusted the final outcome of the event (such as better scheduling and Void and Mr R vs Kamemushi), we shouldn't take them to seriously. WTFox 2 is a better way of determining where everyone's at, as well as CEO. As Trela said in his reddit post, it was more a battle of who could stay awake, not who was the better player.

I personally feel Lucina's are playing like Marths when they shouldn't be. Marth can space and zone due to him being rewarded for good spacing by his tippers. Lucina doesn't have that. So while spacing and zoning should be an important part of Lucina, so should be using her advantage of having a base damage throughout her sword to combo and rack up damage. This is just me theory crafting ideas, whether they work or not is questionable.

Please Lucinas ask me why I feel this way. We can start a conversation where I can out theories and stuff.

YerTheBestAROUND

Smash Journeyman
Playing Zelda: Breath of the Wild for eternity.
Marths don't use Pivot Fsmash because it's better to use out of a set up such as jab. You'd be better of with Pivot tilts or jab, where you likely won't get punished and can just jab or tilt again right afterwards than going for such a laggy smash attack.

I personally feel Lucina's are playing like Marths when they shouldn't be. Marth can space and zone due to him being rewarded for good spacing by his tippers. Lucina doesn't have that. So while spacing and zoning should be an important part of Lucina, so should be using her advantage of having a base damage throughout her sword to combo and rack up damage. This is just me theory crafting ideas, whether they work or not is questionable.

Please Lucinas ask me why I feel this way. We can start a conversation where I can out theories and stuff.
This needs to die out. Lucina HAS to space with the tip just as much as Marth does. Just because she has consistent damage values throughout her entire sword doesn't mean she's any safer when she misspaces an attack. The only thing that changes much in her game plan when compared to Marth is that she can combo the same way no matter where she hits with her sword. Marth varies depending on whether or not he got a tipper hit or a sour hit. Sometimes the sour hit is preferred, such as sour bair > fair and if you land a sour fair you can then land a tipper fair after that. Having sour spots can actually have it's advantages.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Right now, Evo is important, but since there were a lot of dumb things that could've adjusted the final outcome of the event (such as better scheduling and Void and Mr R vs Kamemushi), we shouldn't take them to seriously. WTFox 2 is a better way of determining where everyone's at, as well as CEO. As Trela said in his reddit post, it was more a battle of who could stay awake, not who was the better player.

Her ability to combo is gonna be the same no matter WHERE she hits on the sword.

So doesnt it make sense for her to space better so she is safer just in case she gets blocked?

Imma say this one more time. Marth and Lucina have the same metagame.

Yes she slides on her PP tilts which is solid option coverage in some scenarios. No it doesnt make her a whole new character.

She is beginner Marth for the most part. The future for her imo is mastering those nair confirms.

Last edited:

Funen1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Funen1
D-Throw has 2 ways to DI it, foward or back. If it is foward, the opponent eats a Fair chain, or a Fair->Uair->mixup. If it is back, then it's Bair with no combo but possible followups. Ness D-Throw is not as brainless as Mario's and it needs some guessing where the opponent will DI, and you have to guess fast.
For the record, you can also jump straight up (perhaps holding back slightly) and F-air to catch opponents DI'ing in. Granted, it still does require a read at really low percents unless you have crazy reflexes (it becomes a bit more lenient once you get to low-mid percents since D-throw deals more hitstun), but the idea is that Ness can still salvage a combo in this situation. DI'ing in mainly messes up players who autopilot jumping forward while F-airing.

Shady Shaymin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-3217-2048
Surprised at no mention of Yoshi after Kamemushi whipped him out game 1. Wonder what's up with that? Maybe he thinks Yoshi has a better matchup against Mario than his megaman or cloud, and that wouldn't surprise me. I don't think he was playing the matchup right, though. He was way too defensive, and relied too much on eggs and walling out against one of the best rushdown characters in the game.

Now that I think of it, Yoshi seems like a half decent secondary for Megaman. Megaman has bad CQC and is combo food, but Yoshi can easily break free from pressure situations between that double jump and his nair. Megaman loses to Sheik, Mario, and probably Fox, but Yoshi has been said to do fine against them, particularly Fox. Likewise, Yoshi loses to Diddy and Cloud, who lose to megaman.

I'd love for Kamemushi to pick up Yoshi as a serious counterpick; I love me some good top level Yoshi play.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Marth players don't use Pivot Fsmash because Fsmash is far too laggy to use in most situations, let alone to throw out as a defensive option. Why would Marth players use Pivot Fsmash, when they can use Pivot Ftilt? The move is not only easier to perform, but is better in this situation, because it comes out quicker, has more vertical and horizontal reach, and also ends quicker.

Marth's Ftilt in general is arguably one of the best in the game right now, and one of his best moves in general.
Well, F-Tilt may have a lot of benefits, but I think you could agree that if an opponent jumps past Marth, a Pivot F-Smash is significantly better after Marth is behind the opponent after running. It doesn't come out all the time, and Pivot F-Smash is only situational for retreats or go-throughs, but it's still a good thing to space and kill opponents. But I won't argue that his F-Tilt is pretty great if tippered, though otherwise, it's kind of bad, especially on shield.

Marths don't use Pivot Fsmash because it's better to use out of a set up such as jab. You'd be better of with Pivot tilts or jab, where you likely won't get punished and can just jab or tilt again right afterwards than going for such a laggy smash attack.
At this point, I don't think we're talking about the same thing. Are we talking about Perfect Pivot here? Because I'm talking about a dash turn pivot.

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
Personally, I wish 8BitMan would charge gyro more. He tends to just throw out an endless stream of hitboxes to zone the opponent, but I think charging gyro is valuable because it increases the effective unreactable range (by increasing the projectile speed), while also creating a threat and forcing options in neutral while keeping ROB's options fairly open. I'd also like to see him utilize more tech like grounded reverse gyro, which I think is very practical. He has at least started to utilize z-drop aerials, which I am very happy about.

Also, all the top ROB players have different styles and I'm not sure what style is the most optimal; different styles are probably optimal for different MUs. I think his ledge trapping is still under-developed, but that is likely because his simple BNB traps still work far too consistently even in high level gameplay; it pains me every time ROB rolls to the ledge to predictably set up the reverse gyro, and then the opponent just does regular get-up into it and gets hit by usmash.

---

I'm also curious about Ness. To me, he was a character with mediocre theory, but his top level results were too solid to ignore so it was difficult to argue that he wasn't right below the top tiers. However, Ness' recent results have been mediocre at best, and it seems that the original theory was correct and Ness' fundamental problems are finally showing through. I'm curious what his MU spread with the top tiers looks like, and if he has any redeeming MUs with them or if he can be safely considered worse than a character like Toon Link.

Bowserboy3

NNID
Bowserboy3
Well, F-Tilt may have a lot of benefits, but I think you could agree that if an opponent jumps past Marth, a Pivot F-Smash is significantly better after Marth is behind the opponent after running. It doesn't come out all the time, and Pivot F-Smash is only situational for retreats or go-throughs, but it's still a good thing to space and kill opponents. But I won't argue that his F-Tilt is pretty great if tippered, though otherwise, it's kind of bad, especially on shield.
Marth's Fsmash, and "good thing to space" within the same sentence... Ok...?

Let me just cut to the chase. Marth players don't use Pivot Fsmash on the defense, because it is not a defensive option, and it is certainly not a spacing move. It's like saying that Link should use his Fsmash to space opponents, as opposed to his projectiles or his own Pivot Ftilt. It just isn't for that. There are far better options at Marth's disposal for both defence and spacing. I could somewhat understand if the move was as long ranged or as easy to tipper as in Melee, but in terms of Marth's whole moveset, it has below average range, and as such, is tough to tipper.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
This is so delusional. He isn't Rosalina. There are plenty of Rosa players out there that make great strides in the meta. Many people (including many popular, otherwise informed casters) assume Dabuz invented everything under the sun because other Rosa players simply don't place as well. Dabuz doesn't win because he's the lone pioneer of the Rosa meta. He wins because he's an incredibly intelligent, adaptable player, and people don't give him enough credit for how damn smart some of his decisions in game are.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Something I wanted to mention is how powerful Mario is looking right now. At all levels of play, and obviously with the latest top level tournaments included, Mario is being used and he's winning and it's kinda bonkers. I used to group him with Fox, Sonic and friends but the more I see the more I'm convinced this character is top 3. He's the simple formula that just... Works. I think risk vs reward is and always has been relevant in this game and Mario embodies a skewed risk vs reward ratio. Not abusively so perhaps, but in my eyes he at least has that power, has that capability.

Ness is looking weak right now. Mostly the same culprits beating him, but seeming to get to our players more than before. He does beat TL (NAKAT vs Hyuga was, no offence to NAKAT, played very poorly on his side) and he has good / decent MUs with characters like Mewtwo and Fox. I still put him higher than Pikachu but lower than Villager. Would say he's sitting in the mid/lower area of top 20 right now. His buttons are still too good for him to be lower.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Marth's Fsmash, and "good thing to space" within the same sentence... Ok...?

Let me just cut to the chase. Marth players don't use Pivot Fsmash on the defense, because it is not a defensive option, and it is certainly not a spacing move. It's like saying that Link should use his Fsmash to space opponents, as opposed to his projectiles or his own Pivot Ftilt. It just isn't for that. There are far better options at Marth's disposal for both defence and spacing. I could somewhat understand if the move was as long ranged or as easy to tipper as in Melee, but in terms of Marth's whole moveset, it has below average range, and as such, is tough to tipper.

I understand there are other options that are better than simply F-Smash alone, but again I call it a situational move/kill option if you Pivot the F-Smash. But considering some of Marth's speed, initial dash range and traction, it could be easier to tipper than assumed. Assume you're dashing away from the opponent, who's in the air. What do you want to hit them with after turning, tipper guaranteed? F-Tilt or F-Smash? And it's range isn't below-average IMO, I actually find it to reach ridiculously far compared to its appearance from what I've done.

I know I can use other attacks for Marth more efficiently, but again, situational kill option for Pivot F-Smash, so if I can take the opportunity, I'll do it and get the opponent.

Bowserboy3

NNID
Bowserboy3
This is so delusional. He isn't Rosalina. There are plenty of Rosa players out there that make great strides in the meta. Many people (including many popular, otherwise informed casters) assume Dabuz invented everything under the sun because other Rosa players simply don't place as well. Dabuz doesn't win because he's the lone pioneer of the Rosa meta. He wins because he's an incredibly intelligent, adaptable player, and people don't give him enough credit for how damn smart some of his decisions in game are.
Of course it's delusional, Dabuz is my favourite Smasher. It's meant to be incredibly biased because I love him.

Of course Dabuz doesn't singlehandedly develop the Rosalina metagame, but he sure as day shows us how it's played better than any other Rosalina.

On that note, I'm not sure how many times I see Rosalina players other than Dabuz use Rosalina and Luma's Dash Attack Cancelled Grab. You know, where you input Dash Attack, and instantly grab a few frames after? Rosalina does her dash grab, but Luma does his Dash Attack. Dabuz uses this quite a lot, and it helps get that extra 3% for landing a grab, as well as make it (very slightly) safer if whiffed, as Luma may actually hit an opponent coming for a punish.

Lunar Landing is a given, Rosalina players have no excuse for not implementing this, which is something I forget about to be honest. I need to use it more often.

True, but Lucina can play both safe and combo when the opportunity presents itself, meanwhile Marth fully spaces himself.
See, the thing is, for Lucina to be safe, she must also space her moves at the tip of her sword, like Marth, because anywhere else leaves her open for punishment. Marth just has the added benefit of extra damage/shieldstun for this optimal playstyle.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom