• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v1.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
As usual I have no idea who you're trying to take a swipe at here, but I do agree with gist of it. Most Sheik players treat that grenade exclusively as a missed input. Though on the other hand (and this is admittedly lazy thinking), I don't really see VoiD use the grenade, and if he's not using it, then it might not be worth using, haha.
Honestly, I've seen grenade ledge traps being phased out of Sheik gameplay. Around this time last year, I recall seeing Sheiks such as Mr. R, False, and Vinnie routinely employ Grenade ledge traps to mediocre success. These players now generally opt for different options to ledge trap. Grenade's telegraphed nature and long FAF may just be inferior to her low lag aerials, short FAF normals, and long duration needles when it comes to ledge trapping. Not saying Grenade has no potential, but it seems to be a niche option that is very difficult to use properly, and is being overlooked in favour of more robust options.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Honestly sometimes I feel Sakurai designed Robin by taking a Completely Average Character template, gave him some great specials and aerials, and then panicked and just started throwing weaknesses at random into him until he was "balanced"-

Nah.

Think of it from a tactician perspective. A tactician is supposed to have everything planned out in advance, and has all the tools at his disposal to make it happen, and is at his most vulnerable when the plans go awry.

Robin's aerials are huge and autocancel out of a short hop. Robin can even triple Fair out of a full hop. If someone busts through his aerial zone and make him back off? Now his fastest aerial is frame 8 and only does so much knockback.

Robin's tilts and jab are quick and have just enough range to establish space. Robin's Ftilt outranges Sheik's Fair. Someone closes the gap? Either he's got a lot of endlag to worry about, or not enough safety after block.

His specials convert into his grab for meaty damage. Break through or read through the zone? Specials are frame 11 at best, and the grab takes as long as a FE maniac mode chapter to complete.

Robin's a moving fortress, but a fortress is only good until someone gets past the gate.

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Also I only counted Smash n' Splash and KTAR. The only other thing that broke 96 entrants afaik is Super Smashmania but I can't find Vods and I don't feel like I can reliably piece together what the top 16 likely is. I may add it at a later date, but E3 today and all.

FeelMeUp

Smash Lord
NNID
BathMonster
Wario is far far FAR worse in 3 stock than 2.
Usually as you kill the opponent they're respawning ready to die at 20 from a ragewaft.
The same can go for Lucario and Mac. You might be thinking they can get their win condition more often. It's an understandable point of view in theory but in practice it makes things harder for them because they have to successfully connect that win condition one more time while hoping they have the longevity to actually get it again.

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
Its funny cause people will be like "*insert hated character of the week* is broken and stupid! NERF please" but the tournament wins arent really there or overwhelming, and they have actual flaws that people like to downplay. mean while lets say *insert random generally perceived low/mid tier* starts winning things or showing decent results and everyone is just like "HOLD ON, lets not get ahead of ourselves, blahblahblah"

I mean keep going if everyone wants, but its pretty humorous

Tbh I HOPE we get a new patch so they can nerf the hell out of cloud so people will shut up about him. But that wont do any good cause then people will find someone new to complain about and hate on.

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Cloud still has the third worst standing grab range in the game, and a dash grab that's deceptively short for how fast he runs. The only reason he gets so many grabs is because of how often he forces you to shield, but it's not really a great option for him. Cloud can start a tech chase/juggle/edgeguard situation with most of his moveset.
Right. I'd be willing to call Cloud's grab game bad in a vacuum, or on any other character. But my point is it works effectively for him considering the rest of his kit. He makes you scared, he gets an opportunity to charge limit. Or he gets you scared, he already has limit, he throws you offstage and suddenly you're trapped on the ledge with the threat of LCS.

Comparatively, say I bthrow someone offstage as Kirby - sure, I have positional advantage, but I'm still nowhere near as scary as Cloud is.

In limit, Cloud has a move that forces people to approach him. From his throws, he has a way to get time to charge that move. So you rush back in and he forces you to play his game the entire time. It just works for him, IMO.

A poor grab game on Cloud (from my perspective) would mean he has high endlag, or people are thrown at angles that make getting them offstage difficult.

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
One person says Limit Cross Slash has really low endlag and I say Shoryuken is probably the best move in the game, even busted, all of a sudden we are supposedly having dangerously toxic levels of, "patch mentality," and, "pls nerf," and we should discuss how scrubby we think everyone else here is for several pages.

but the tournament wins arent really there or overwhelming
Just an aside--
The only characters brought up that people were potentially saying needed nerfs were Cloud, Ryu, and Diddy. Are you talking about them when you say this?

But can we just move on? This thread has way more complaining about people complaining for nerfs than people actually complaining for nerfs.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
One person says Limit Cross Slash has really low endlag and I say Shoryuken is probably the best move in the game, even busted, all of a sudden we are supposedly having dangerously toxic levels of, "patch mentality," and, "pls nerf," and we should discuss how scrubby we think everyone else here is for several pages.

Just an aside--
The only characters brought up that people were potentially saying needed nerfs were Cloud, Ryu, and Diddy. Are you talking about them when you say this?

But can we just move on? This thread has way more complaining about people complaining for nerfs than people actually complaining for nerfs.
Welcome to the CCI, where Circular Debating is our everyday order.
May I take your hat sir?

But seriously, the game's balance seems to be in a pretty good position right now, very healthy at least.
I would only make few tweaks (just remove obvious fatal flaws) on Low Tiers, fix some stage's weird properties, and it would be great, not necessarily perfect, but nice enough.

btw, I am kinda upset that a majority of people seem to agree that we need to wait for Cloud to win something before calling him broken, when Bayonetta didn't get that benefit of the doubt. Ohwell.
:196:

Last edited:

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Honestly, I've seen grenade ledge traps being phased out of Sheik gameplay. Around this time last year, I recall seeing Sheiks such as Mr. R, False, and Vinnie routinely employ Grenade ledge traps to mediocre success. These players now generally opt for different options to ledge trap. Grenade's telegraphed nature and long FAF may just be inferior to her low lag aerials, short FAF normals, and long duration needles when it comes to ledge trapping. Not saying Grenade has no potential, but it seems to be a niche option that is very difficult to use properly, and is being overlooked in favour of more robust options.
As sad as it is, the best ledge pressure is generally to stand in shield or still at a range where you can threaten multiple options on reaction with low commitment normals. Tricky setups are mediocre (though ROB has a few, he and Lucario have some simple but effective ones that of course have counterplay). Who has the best ledge pressure? Fox (stand with your back to ledge, you can shield and threaten with up tilt to back air.), Diddy (banana and dtilt), Sheik (definition of low commitment, needles, meaty nair, etc.).

paperchao

Smash Apprentice
NNID
paperchao
Its funny cause people will be like "*insert hated character of the week* is broken and stupid! NERF please" but the tournament wins arent really there or overwhelming, and they have actual flaws that people like to downplay. mean while lets say *insert random generally perceived low/mid tier* starts winning things or showing decent results and everyone is just like "HOLD ON, lets not get ahead of ourselves, blahblahblah"

I mean keep going if everyone wants, but its pretty humorous

Tbh I HOPE we get a new patch so they can nerf the hell out of cloud so people will shut up about him. But that wont do any good cause then people will find someone new to complain about and hate on.
You forgot the part where everyone cries about cloud being over nerfed despite the development team giving them exactly what they wanted.

Moving away from complaining about cloud, can we talk about rosalina? She's often touted as a top 3 character, despite having results that aren't up to par for such a placing. I feel we really need to flesh out why people think rosa is on the same level as diddy or cloud.

Routa

Smash Lord
Who has the best ledge pressure?
I would say Wario has one of the best ledge pressure thanks to Bike and Chomp.

Anyways I will say my opinion on the Cloud discussion. He isn't a problem on high and mid lvl of play, but he is dangerous or out right bonkers at low lvl of play. Like it or not most of the competitive players are low lvl players. Hitting a wall of hitbox isn't a easy thing to work around. I know 2 guys who straight gave up on Sm4sh due to not being able to work aroud Cloud. You can alway tell people to get better, but some people just cannot take loosing lightly. Yes Cloud has his recovery weakness, but do you really think that low lvl players are willing to challenge his recovery?

I know we talk here about characters usability in top lvl of play, but sometimes it is good to look at the character on lower lvls of play. Not everyone is part of the 1%, eh?

Also sorry for my horrible english again.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Aura Sphere Charge.

Not Lucario. Just Aura Sphere Charge. I don't think its potency can be understated, really.

Imagine the holy hell that would ensue if Mewtwo's Shadow Ball Charge also had a hitbox like in Melee.

Last edited:

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
As sad as it is, the best ledge pressure is generally to stand in shield or still at a range where you can threaten multiple options on reaction with low commitment normals. Tricky setups are mediocre (though ROB has a few, he and Lucario have some simple but effective ones that of course have counterplay). Who has the best ledge pressure? Fox (stand with your back to ledge, you can shield and threaten with up tilt to back air.), Diddy (banana and dtilt), Sheik (definition of low commitment, needles, meaty nair, etc.).
Corrin's is up there. Tons of options to cover rolls, get ups and jumps at the same time.

Trump reverse dragon lunge is dirty.

Shady Shaymin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-3217-2048
I don't know why you can't criticize something on this thread without everyone getting paranoid that nerf-mageddon is upon us and that soon smash 4 will become super lower tier bros.

Cloud isn't unbeatable. He is overtuned in many areas, but he fundamentally plays by the same rules as everyone else in the game and has just enough holes in his gameplan (recovery issues, less than stellar frame data objectively, weakness against perfect shielding) to leave him susceptible to losing at top level play.

My question is: does a character have to be unbeatable to be broken? If a character isn't downright busted like "insert top tier from any other smash title", does that mean that they cannot be a negative force on the metagame?

We have an incredibly fun and balanced meta, and understandably, many of you are content with this and don't want to change anything else out of concern for a potentially diminutive power level or "patch culture" as some put it. Some of us still see room for improvement.

We have a character with bonkers killing ability in a near unpunishable death move, top tier mobility and range, who really does invalidate an appalling amount of mid tier characters. Most of you are very talented, and adapting to his oppressive tools is peanuts compared to getting past full screen needles, SDIing out of ladder nonsense, etc. I just think this meta would be even MORE fun, MORE diverse, and MORE skill based if Cloud was actually balanced in relevant ways, rather than through generally meaningless handicaps. Give LCS just a bit more endlag, and he will actually have consequences for whiffing it.

Again, Cloud could stay the way he is and I wouldn't cry. He's beatable and we'd all adapt. I just think the meta would be better if he was balanced more realistically. That's all, please don't impale me with your disjoints, Cloud warriors.

Shady Shaymin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-3217-2048
Can you explain what's this supposed to mean?
Do you not think the meta would require more skill on the part of Cloud players if they couldn't just throw out side b fearlessly?

When any other oppressive tool in this game was nerfed, the frauds abandoned ship while the top players adapted. That's what I mean.

SubconsciousRose

Smash Cadet
Best definitely depends on the context of how good a character's options are for getting off the ledge as well since some characters are clearly way better than others at escaping the situation but I would say :rosalina: is among the best at ledge pressure/trapping.

Rosalina can stand at roll distance and space out Luma's jab so that Rosa covers roll while Luma can cover empty get up and jump with jab in some instances. I think LordMix vs Vinnie where Vinnie just held rapid jab at ledge until LordMix had to get hit definitely shows the strength of her jab as a pressure option especially against bigger characters like Bowser.

The person on ledge has to be careful using jump to get over jab as well because if Rosalina isn't holding rapid jab, then you definitely don't want be above a character with her up air and up smash. Add a spaced Luma in front of her to cover even more space above her and that's a recipe for disaster. And you don't particularly wanna drop down and regrab ledge to stall either because downward angled Luma Fsmash will punish that brutally.

Last edited:

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Do you not think the meta would require more skill on the part of Cloud players if they couldn't just throw out side b fearlessly?

When any other oppressive tool in this game was nerfed, the frauds abandoned ship while the top players adapted. That's what I mean.
I mean, when you're fighting someone whose character is on par with yours, they know and play the MU with expertise, or they know your number, there ain't much that your character can do on their own without someone ridiculously good that can combat this. Easiest example is brawl when Mikeneko was giving MKs the business at apex 2013.

When two broken characters fight, their character power doesn't really matter.

Last edited:

JustSomeScrub

Smash Journeyman
Regarding Limit Cross Slash being the best move in the game I'd have to disagree.

Ryu's true SRK is better.

1. It kills about just as early (and isn't as dependent on where they are on stage as it KOs vertically)
2. Has virtually no ending lag upon landing and works in the same situations LCS would (since it's a b move you can do it out of a run, pivot etc.).
3. It doesn't require a charge and can be used freely whenever the Ryu wishes unlike Cloud.
4. On top of all of this Ryu has true combos into it unlike Cloud.

Ryu in general is probably the most slept on character. I can see him being easily top 2 in the game later down the road.

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
Regarding Limit Cross Slash being the best move in the game I'd have to disagree.

1. It kills about just as early (and isn't as dependent on where they are on stage as it KOs vertically)
2. Has virtually no ending lag upon landing and works in the same situations LCS would (since it's a b move you can do it out of a run, pivot etc.).
3. It doesn't require a charge and can be used freely whenever the Ryu wishes unlike Cloud.

Ryu in general is probably the most slept on character. I can see him being easily top 2 in the game later down the road.
You ignored the fact that it sends him into free fall. Also, everyone was talking about the best vanilla kill move. Without his confirms Ryu's True Shoryuken is a high risk and high reward kill move.

Last edited:

JustSomeScrub

Smash Journeyman
You ignored the fact that it sends him into free fall.
Yes meaning it's punishable while he's falling. And most characters don't have aerials that kill at decent percent when near center stage in this game.

My point being that a BIG punish like a Smash attack is a lot harder to do versus true SRK because of so little cooldown. And if there are platforms in the way (as there often are in tourny legal stages), forget about it.

All you get is a small aerial punish which is hardly a deterrent for Ryu to just throw it out.

And let's not forget Ryu has true combos in to the move. This plus it being an excellent punish tool in varying situations means Ryu doesn't even have to just throw it out for it connect. He can confirm into it so it putting him in free fall after is often irrelevant.

Last edited:

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
Yes meaning it's punishable while he's falling. And most characters don't have aerials that kill at decent percent when near center stage in this game.

My point being that a BIG punish like a Smash attack is a lot harder to do versus true SRK because of so little cooldown. And if there are platforms in the way (as there often are in tourny legal stages), forget about it.

All you get is a small aerial punish which is hardly a deterrent for Ryu to just throw it out.
Or you could just run under him with a charged up smash like I do with Link against stupid Ryus.

williamsga555

Smash Journeyman
Ledge pressure is one of the few things Dedede's genuinely pretty great at. Gordo setups force the opponent into a 50/50 of sorts (they either choose to attack Gordo or avoid it, both are limited and punishable) and anything he hits you with is at least another 10%+continued stage control.

Getting the opponent to the ledge in the first place is another story, but once they're there, he puts in some excellent work.

JustSomeScrub

Smash Journeyman
Or you could just run under him with a charged up smash like I do with Link against stupid Ryus.
That won't kill early exactly (relative to how early SRK kills) and if there are platforms in the way it probably won't work.

I think it's a very poorly designed move overall and not even true to Street Fighter.

In Street Fighter Ryu has 3 SRKS, light, medium and heavy. Heavy Shoryuken (aka true Shoryuken) deals the most damage but also has significant landing lag. Light SRK is the one with significantly less landing lag. But not in this game.

Last edited:

Jehtt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TurboJett
The fact that Ryu has to fall down all the way from the peak and cannot fast fall during the ending frames leaves SRK plenty of time to be punished. Ryu can't just throw out Shoryus in neutral.
Most good characters have a killing aerial or a smash that can reach through the platforms to punish him for trying to abuse it on BF. Even if it doesn't kill, they can probably at least get him off stage. Ryu doesn't want to be off-stage.

JustSomeScrub

Smash Journeyman
The fact that Ryu has to fall down all the way from the peak and cannot fast fall during the ending frames leaves SRK plenty of time to be punished. Ryu can't just throw out Shoryus in neutral.
Most good characters have a killing aerial or a smash that can reach through the platforms to punish him for trying to abuse it on BF. Even if it doesn't kill, they can probably at least get him off stage. Ryu doesn't want to be off-stage.
I've seen top Ryu players throw out SRK in neutral and didn't get punished or only ate a small punish. So I beg to differ. For example Zero vs Venom GOML 2016:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIhSsV02nis

Zero wins the set but not because he punished the move particularly well. Mostly just singular aerials which led to nothing.

Ryu's recovery has plenty of options. No character wants to be offstage but he's not more vulnerable than most when he's there.

Lastly plenty of great characters don't have much kill power in aerials (at least at decent percents, obviously just about every character can kill with aerials at 180+). Diddy, Sheik and Mario for instance.

Last edited:

Yikarur

Smash Master
Why are people overrating True Shoryuken so much? If it's shielded you get hard punished by a smash attack. It's not safe at all. And if you don't hold the button it's weaker then holded normal shoryuken and holding the button for strongest true shoryuken = greater punish window.

JustSomeScrub

Smash Journeyman
Why are people overrating True Shoryuken so much? If it's shielded you get hard punished by a smash attack. It's not safe at all. And if you don't hold the button it's weaker then holded normal shoryuken and holding the button for strongest true shoryuken = greater punish window.
Read above. Platforms means no Smash attack punish. And platforms exist on nearly every tournament legal stage. And doing a Smash attack punish on true SRK isn't nearly as easy as people think given how the move doesn't have landing lag. It's not a traditional up B or Megaman's SRK.

It's a move that on most stages, against most characters is extremely low risk and very high reward.

And that's before getting into the fact that Ryu can use it in any punish situation AND can hit confirm into it.

That's why I think it's the best move in the game. The only moves that come close require charging.

Last edited:

Charoite

Smash Journeyman

But only the players who sticked with cloud would require more to use more skill, nobody has to stick with cloud if they dont want, players would jump to the next easy and rewarding character because they have or they could have the best chance to win games with them, this is very important to all players, nobody like to lose even more if time and money is spend, you could say nerfing cloud is justified because he wins against low tiers, but this is true for all the high tiers and top tiers, thi is another issue that the smash community in general have, and is that this community overreact to everything, the if the smash community would have a motto would be: Shoot first ask later, (example: ever single mid tier character making upsets, ruleset stages, everything DLC, top tiers using his best moves, etc.) sorry if i complain too much but is frustrating seeing worthless balance discussion, when this isn't the threat for that, and i think people exaggerate with the overturned moves in smash 4, IMO there isn't a single free win move in this game.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Ryu doesn't need to be offstage but it doesn't mean that he's not helpless out there. Far from it.

FADC gives Ryu the means to reset his horizontal momentum, with armor to make sure he gets by. A lot of Ryus immediately try to Tatsu back to the stage, when what they should be doing is DI up, move toward the stage, Focus Attack DC if he needs to block/avoid one attack, or airdodge if he needs to block a multihit aerial instead, and come back to the ledge with a Shoryuken, a Shoryuken, mind you, that hits all the way towards the middle of the closest Battlefield platform from the ledge.

Only the most precise of spikes is punishing that Shoryuken reliably.

Last edited:

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
I understand that Limit Cross Slash is difficult to react to and punish, but first of all the latter is very possible. Number one priority in that matchup should be learning how to time your shield interactions in order to deal with Cross Slash. My issue is this notion that it can be thrown out without caution or fear. That's wrong, really.

Consider this; you're in a tournament match. Game 3, last stock for both players, your opponent has a percent lead, but you are Cloud and you have Limit. Do you think that you could just throw it out there? Wouldn't you be scared of wasting it? Don't tell me you can just get another one if you miss. You may not have time, and it allows your opponent many more opportunities to take your stock. Your opponent is not going to commit to something that would get them Cross Slashed. They are respecting the move, and they have the lead. Even if they don't, you can't just fearlessly use it.

JustSomeScrub

Smash Journeyman
Also even if true SRK was more punishable it'd STILL be one of the best moves in the game.

It works in almost any punish situation (unsafe move blocked, roll read, spot dodge read, anti-air, stuff an approach etc.) and Ryu has multiple ways to combo into it.

What other character has a move like this which kills at 70 and doesn't require some sort of charge? Nothing else even comes close.

Last edited:

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
This talk of "broken" moves bores me immensely. Can we talk about a character? Zero Suit Samus is kind of an enigma; I've heard claims that she isn't that good (meaning she's "only" in high tier I would guess), but her players still come out and kick ass. Loser's bracket Nairo is broken, and Marss is pretty darn consistent. Her Diddy matchup and Sheik matchup are not great, but she puts down Rosalina and Sonic. I am interested in playing her myself, and I know there are strong ZSS players in this thread who may be tired of the talk about her, but I'm just not sure what to think about the character.

I know she's good as hell, though. Idk we don't have to talk about her. I'm just sick of reading about Shoryuken and Cross Slash.

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
I don't have anything to add.
On the subject of TSRK being the best move in the game....I'll just quote EL on this.

lolno

Yeah yeah i main ryu w/e.

The move has a clear cut purpose and weaknesses. It is not spammable. It is not safe on block. It kills people. That's its only real function besides being his vertical recovery tool.

Is it the best kill move? Yes. Best tool overall? You are smoking crack.

Pyr

Smash Lord
Also even if true SRK was more punishable it'd STILL be one of the best moves in the game.

It works in almost any punish situation (unsafe move blocked, roll read, spot dodge read, anti-air, stuff an approach etc.) and Ryu has multiple ways to combo into it.

What other character has a move like this which kills at 70 and doesn't require some sort of charge? Nothing else even comes close.
Well, if you let me perfect shield as an anti-air/stuff an approach, the other uppercut in the game does it at 50-70 and is frame 8. Close enough I suppose.

:luigi2:

Last edited:

JustSomeScrub

Smash Journeyman
Well, if you let me perfect shield as an anti-air/stuff an approach, the other uppercut in the game does it at 50-70 and is frame 8. Close enough I suppose.

:luigi2:
Can yours be comboed into? And while I'm not sure, I believe SRK has a much better (wider) hitbox where the sweetspot is. Plus it's invincible on startup iirc.

On the subject of TSRK being the best move in the game....I'll just quote EL on this.
By that logic no move is the best in the game as they all serve specific purposes. Also that guy said LCS is the best move despite that move also only being for killing.

But really you could argue both are great for damage racking as well. It's not like SRK does low damage.

At any rate the guy does agree it's at least the best kill option in the game.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Something something politics.
Agendas when there is nothing real at stake. People need to grow up.

Let me just repeat, almost verbatim, some community-putting-down comments and farm likes, oh let me do it too, oh and me, and me, and me, 2 pages later, oh and me too. Why not just have 90% of the posts in this thread be like this?

A lot of descriptive terms unfortunately have implicit (but there really aren't alternatives unless you wish to waste several sentences idiot-proofing everything you write) 'bad for the game' 'needs to be nerfed' sentiments to them.
If you said Snake's up tilt was broken in Brawl, it was just one of many ways to describe an extremely good move that in contrast to others stood out in multiple facets, no one would be triggered. Saying MK was broken would only 'trigger' the most extreme people on either side of the argument, and yet there are no signs yet of the-end-of-the-world in Smash4 that deserve similar extreme responses.

Now if there were to be future patches (hint: let's just assume there's not until otherwise), overtuned things being touched would be great. That's it. Not much more needs to be said. If people are paranoid and believe it's essential to have a super loud voice out there to express, it isn't meant to be coming from here. It goes the other way too, no Snake main in Brawl would deny his up tilt was broken (they may have chosen to remind people of the fact it wasn't safe on block, which everyone knew, but still wouldn't deny the adjective) and yet these days it seems like people would betray their mothers before betraying their main admitting something they have is overtuned - which is a shame and an agenda in itself (that they probably don't want to see as an agenda).

Cloud is the greatest threat in my eyes right now. Enough for me to think "no.1" in a list that is otherwise extremely muddied by a year of balance patches and DLC. A more difficult / yet to be seen / yet to be discovered alternative character may actually be "better" in some sort of theoretical sense (which may eventually be observed), but Cloud would still likely remain the biggest, or near biggest, threat for a long time to come.
Is it possible to discuss that notion without an entitlement-spree about no one deserving such a position (although someone has to)? Or if someone brings up an alternative (in a fair manner), not purposely try to distract away from the idea for one's own perceived benefit?

I'm not the only one who has moderator powers in this thread (someone brought this up a few days ago). I'm just generally the only one who has actively tried to halt or reverse degeneration, but when it becomes super obvious others step in in but the damage still always remains, and it's more than exhausting being in that dynamic to try to avoid it as a mod. But the answer isn't "get more mods", because it's something no one really wants to mod and goes beyond what moderation is meant to be about. It isn't at the stage where 100% of things are ****, which would justify its permanent closure. We've tried to push the responsibility of keeping the thread good to more than just exhausted people (incl. the consistently good posters) but to all those who visit here. Some, I'm sure, love to see things burn and actively post borderline crap over and over and love it because it satisfies their ego - but it's the many who continue to support it (acknowledging it in any form). and allow it to flourish - it slowly becomes the norm.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136

Virtually every other post in this thread, Anther's ladder, the smash 4 thread on shoryuken.com and GameFAQs threads all talk about how crazy Ryu is.

This is not month one of his release.

Everyone knows he is a monster at this point.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN

Cloud with limit can Finishing Touch or Cross-Slash.
Diddy can down tilt to up smash.
Rosalina and Luma have Up air and Up Smash, both of which are fast and kill under or around 100.
Mario has up smash.
Sheik has Up air, Bouncing Fish, or Vanish.
Fox has Up air or Up smash.

Need I continue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom