• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v1.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Is Bayo the best character yet?

Really though, I'm not really feeling the S-tier ranking at this point. She's got a ton of rep and still hasn't got a really notable tournament win. Lots of close calls and near wins, but, well...

Feels more like people are carrying Bayo then the other way around. The anti-Bayo meta is advancing as fast as the Bayo meta is, perhaps just because of the volume of players playing her. Reminds me of Shulk's decent results from good players up until everybody realized he sucked, though I'm sure Bayo's nowhere near that bad.

Edit: Or bad at all. I'm sure somebody would of took that the wrong way without that edit.

Last edited:

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Is Bayo the best character yet?

Really though, I'm not really feeling the S-tier ranking at this point. She's got a ton of rep and still hasn't got a really notable tournament win. Lots of close calls and near wins, but, well...

Feels more like people are carrying Bayo then the other way around. The anti-Bayo meta is advancing as fast as the Bayo meta is, perhaps just because of the volume of players playing her. Reminds me of Shulk's decent results from good players up until everybody realized he sucked, though I'm sure Bayo's nowhere near that bad.

Edit: Or bad at all. I'm sure somebody would of took that the wrong way without that edit.
Bayo's pretty dominating at mid-level which is where the highest number of adamantly pro-ban players are. That's not to say that a lot of high-level players don't think she's stupid too. I don't really keep up with that sort of thing but I know Ally, at least, thinks she's a little too strong. And results don't lie; she's got a very high number of results with such a short time span. But to my knowledge very few of those results are big tournament wins. Counterplay clearly exists to her. It'll take time to see if her optimization will be stronger than smarter, more adaptive players though.

Personally, my main beef with her is how some of her moves blatantly disregard Smash conventions (Witch Twist and Afterburner Kick ignoring weight probably being the biggest one).

sedrf

Smash Journeyman
pls buff peach.
Anyway fow seems to know the peach mu very well.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Bayo's pretty dominating at mid-level which is where the highest number of adamantly pro-ban players are. That's not to say that a lot of high-level players don't think she's stupid too. I don't really keep up with that sort of thing but I know Ally, at least, thinks she's a little too strong. And results don't lie; she's got a very high number of results with such a short time span. But to my knowledge very few of those results are big tournament wins. Counterplay clearly exists to her. It'll take time to see if her optimization will be stronger than smarter, more adaptive players though.

Personally, my main beef with her is how some of her moves blatantly disregard Smash conventions (Witch Twist and Afterburner Kick ignoring weight probably being the biggest one).
I can see why they made her moves ignore usual Smash conventions. When a character is explicitly designed around air combos in a game where some characters are nigh-impossible to combo due to their physics, something has to give.

The tradeoff, of course, is that now we have a character that defies the usual Smash conventions.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
VoiD > Xzax 3-1
FOW > SlayerZ 3-0

Winner's Final is Trela vs. Tyrant.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Wow, I haven't seen Trela play in a long time, but he's way better than I remember. He's really showing that Ryu theory coming into practice. (he just came back from a break, right?)

Meanwhile on the New Fish stream, good matches going on there. Watching Pugwest's Marth is so fun.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Trela completed destroys Tyrant 3-0.

Not even close. One of the biggest high-level blowouts I've ever seen.

Ninety

Smash Journeyman
Goddamn, Trela's Ryu looking like what we all thought Ryu was gonna be when he came out. He's been getting some practice. Six stock on Tyrant.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
I can see why they made her moves ignore usual Smash conventions. When a character is explicitly designed around air combos in a game where some characters are nigh-impossible to combo due to their physics, something has to give.

The tradeoff, of course, is that now we have a character that defies the usual Smash conventions.
I understand the logic but at the same time it makes Bayonetta's combos very easy against players with bad DI and makes them far more consistent than they probably should be. She already has more (?) aerial followup and mixup option than any other character between multiple uses of Witch Twist and Afterburner Kick, FAir (which has several parts), the ability to extend the duration of aerials, and Witch Time to deter counterattacks (not to mention Bat Within). Every other character has to adjust their combos to suit the target's fall speed, weight, gravity, and frame size; why not her?

I'm not against special mechanics; I think they're interesting if implemented in a good way. Ryu having command inputs and weak/strong tilts is interesting and spices up his gameplay without making him unnecessarily obnoxious. On the other hand, I would love for Samus to have some sort of implementation of the Morph Ball akin to a crawl, but I can't help but think that it would be a little too strong (not to mention Speed Booster/Shinespark or Space Jump).

I don't really think Witch Twist and ABK working like they do is broken, but I do think it's bad for Bayonetta as a character.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Metaknight no longer has the tools to fight Ryu. Risk vs reward pretty much always favors Ryu except when MK has Ryu off stage. Besides that its pretty much 60/40 Ryu at all times.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
FOW up 2-0 on VoiD

As far as I remember VoiD beat FOW pretty definitively at G3, but that's before the nerfs.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
WHAT EVEN VOID?

VoiD popped off vs FOW and then thought he got the kill, taunted only for FOW to recover and grab him as he finished his taunt and Bthrow.

Can someone oddshot that?

VoiD is doing better now.

Nice reverse 3-0 by VoiD. Hahaha.

Last edited:

KamikazePotato

Smash Journeyman
VoiD popped off vs FOW and then thought he got the kill, taunted only for FOW to recover and grab him as he finished his taunt and Bthrow.
Ah, the classic Taunt into Get Bodied combo. Glad to see it's still being used at a pro level.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Emblem Lord Emblem Lord
Does Trela have Ryu's ground game down? Or does he mix things up for dealing with Metaknight?
I'm not watching the stream. I'm gonna wait till vods so I can break down piece by piece. But if he trashing players as hard as I am hearing, then it sounds like he is getting there.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
2-2 FOW VoiD

This is intense, VoiD is playing out of his mind

my_T

Smash Journeyman
Watching FOW try to punish and keep up with sheik in neutral is truly salt inducing. This match-up is so ass

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
WHAT EVEN VOID?

Can someone oddshot that?

Slowed down frame by frame.

What the **** are magnet hands

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
It's actually a real shame because that's two people I've seen play VoiD who's defensive habits have basically cost them the game. A really similar thing happened to Xzax, his Fox was doing so well when he was on the offensive and once VoiD slowed the game down and got his punishes in Xzax just kinda collapsed. I think if FOW's AD habits hadn't been so questionable he would have won that.

EDIT: Thanks IsmaR you're a god. :D

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Ryu vs Sheik is now either even or only VERY slightly favoring Ryu imo.

But it doesnt matter. The stronger player will prevail.

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Tyrant pulls out Lime Sheik and bodies VoiD. 2-2 Tyrant VoiD in Loser's Finals.

Edit: VoiD beats Tyrant in Game 5. Both players are 5-5 vs. each other today.

Grand Finals is Trela vs. VoiD!

Last edited:

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382

Slowed down frame by frame.

What the **** are magnet hands
What I am more surprised by is how fow did not get hit by needles at all despite them clearly touching ness.
EDIT: NVM just realized it was perfect shielded.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
EL... I think your plan... isn't working...

This is kind of ridiculous, actually.
I mean...I thought I had more time. I didnt think Trela would tap into it so fast.

****....gotta get ready for these nerfs.

D

Deleted member

2GGT: Pink Fresh Saga Top 32 (345 entrants)

1st
Trela :4ryu:

2nd
VoiD :4sheik:

3rd
Tyrant :4metaknight:

4th
FOW :4ness:

5th
SlayerZ :4peach:
Xzax :4fox::4mario:

7th
K9 :4sheik:
Rich Brown :4mewtwo:

9th
TLTC :4palutena:
Mr. ConCon :4luigi:
Vash :4littlemac:
Aphro :4bayonetta::rosalina:

13th
Charliedaking :4fox:
Teb :4mario:
Elegant :4luigi:
Zenyou :4mario:

17th
Ryo :4myfriends::4feroy::4corrinf:
ImHip :4olimar::4duckhunt:
JK :4bayonetta:
Pink Fresh :4bayonetta2:
Saiki :4sheik:
Zan :4tlink:
Legit :4diddy:
Z :4pikachu:

25th
Jonny Westside :4samus:
Aarvark :4villager:
Tearbear :4falcon:
Stroderp :4greninja::4cloud:
Dynamo :4sheik:
IANB Xero :rosalina:
Stark :4myfriends::4cloud:
Scizor :4link:

Yo Das Koopa Das Koopa if I have any wrong characters listed, can you help point them out?

Very exciting tournament today anyhow, some things I want to note:
  • Elephant in the room: No :4bayonetta:s in top 8.
  • Two :4luigi:s in top 16. Would've loved to see an upset by ConCon beating VoiD but y'know... matchup things happen.
  • First time I've seen Ryo pull out his :4feroy: at a tournament this large. I don't think he has before, somebody can point that out for me if he has. Even if he didn't do very well against Trela this makes me wonder if Ryo will go to continue with pushing the character further.
  • :4peach: getting top 8 is pretty dope. SlayerZ's movement was just outright insane.
  • :4ryu: winning a major. Oh my God. gonna signal a rise for this character for sure. Fantastic play from Trela throughout, truly showed how real of a threat this character is. Hope to see more Ryu this year.
I also want to take the tiime to look at the top 32 in terms of character diversity from what I gathered:

:4sheik: x4
:4mario: x3
:4bayonetta: x3
:4luigi: x2
:4fox: x2
:4cloud: x2
:4myfriends: x2
:rosalina: x2
:4duckhunt: x1
:4greninja: x1
:4olimar: x1
:4link: x1
:4falcon: x1
:4metaknight: x1
:4diddy: x1
:4pikachu: x1
:4littlemac: x1
:4palutena: x1
:4mewtwo: x1
:4ness: x1
:4ryu: x1
:4peach: x1
:4villager: x1
:4tlink: x1
:4samus: x1
:4feroy: x1
:4corrinf: x1

28 characters under one roof, and that's only just the top 32.

Last edited by a moderator:

MistressRemilia

Smash Journeyman
2GGT: Fresh Saga Top 16:

1st: Trela (:4ryu:) Undefeated
2nd: VoiD (:4sheik:) Lost to Tyrant & Trela
3rd: Tyrant (:4metaknight::4sheik:) Lost to Trela & VoiD
4th: FOW (:4ness:) Lost to Trela & VoiD
5th: SlayerZ (:4peach:) Lost to Vash & Fow
5th: Xzax (:4fox::4mario:) Lost to MrConcon & VoiD
7th: Rich Brown (:4mewtwo:) DQ'd to losers, lost to SlayerZ
7th: K9sbruce (:4sheik:) Lost to Charliedaking & Xzax
9th: MrConcon (:4luigi:) Lost to VoiD & Rich Brown
9th: TLTC (:4palutena:) Lost to Tyrant & SlayerZ
9th: Vash (:4littlemac:) Lost to Fow & K9sbruce
9th: Aphro (:4bayonetta2::rosalina:) Lost to Trela & Xzax
13th: Zenyou (:4mario:) Lost to SlayerZ & Xzax
13th: Elegant (:4luigi:) Lost to FOW & SlayerZ
13th: Charliedaking (:4fox:) Lost to Aphro & Rich Brown
13th: Teb (:4mario:) Lost to TLTC & K9sbruce

Trela's return is looking pretty good with solid wins.
We may see more Ryu play in the future, if he keeps this up, Ryu may rise back a bit in people's mind.
I'm not going to trash on Trela's victory, if anything that's pretty amazing, but i'd like to remind that throughout the Top 32, Trela didn't have to go through any of the harder Ryu matchups: a surprising lack of Diddy, zoners didn't fight him & fell early on, most being already in losers, good for him though.

Edit: Damn i got Greninja'd.
Ignore this, pretty much.

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Aphro used Rosalina as a secondary and Aarvark used Villager and not Olimar, you seem spot on otherwise @Feelicks.

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Also can we talk about how :4palutena: just missed out on a top 8 finish?

With so many strong players in attendance I think that's really, really respectable.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
So guys....who has the best punish game now?

Imma just sit here and let yall think it over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom