• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v1.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I hate getting into discussions like this because I find them mostly fruitless, but I'll indulge.

..People still think Samus is a bottom 10 character? Really? Her results and toolkit are far too good to be "bottom 10" material. When she's one of the few characters to almost take a set off ZeRo and have other notable upsets before her big set of buffs, I've felt like people haven't given this character the real light of day. I have similar feelings about Palutena, I'm fairly adamant she isn't in that spot either when she's actually doing quite okay.
That's what my post was. It was just a big sarcarsm.

Every Who is Bottom 10 disscution is pointless since we're going in circle since there isn't any BAD CHARACTER a la kirby/bowser/pichu/Roy from Melee.

And yeah. Palutena seem to do good. I don't know about Samus at all. Can you give me some set link if it don't bother you?

KamikazePotato

Smash Journeyman
There is no such thing as a 'Bottom 10' in this game - not in the sense that people are throwing around. People just need to be able to get past that. Discussions like this are pointless because half the cast is in this general mid-tier-viable level and people just wind up picking some of them at random and calling them the Bottom 10.

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
Whenever people talk about the best aerial in the game in a vacuum, I think of Samus' zair on Fox or Falcon, or pretty much any aerial Ganondorf or Robin has on any mobile character. Then I stop thinking of aerials in a vacuum.

EnhaloTricks

Smash Apprentice
Whenever people talk about the best aerial in the game in a vacuum, I think of Samus' zair on Fox or Falcon, or pretty much any aerial Ganondorf or Robin has on any mobile character. Then I stop thinking of aerials in a vacuum.
Fox with Samus' zair would be absolutely bonkers. It would be beautiful.

Isn't the thread for that discussion the "Best aerial of X type" one, anyways?

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
Sure.
I don't know about Samus at all. Can you give me some set link if it don't bother you?
Well...no set link, but Jonny Westside (I don't really know who the best Samus main so I'm just going by the Wiki page) got 49th at Paragon LA, 7th at 2GGT ESAM Saga, and 9th at 2GGT FOW Saga. He has wins over Mr. Concon, Zenyou, and Scizor.
Isn't the thread for that discussion the "Best aerial of X type" one, anyways?
There's a best moves thread, but it kinda died.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Imagine all superheavies with a frame 3 or 2 jump squat and 3 frames worth of landing lag

That'd be crazzzy...........fun
I don't want to imagine that. That would mean Bowser's Showtime would be true on every character for a percent range 80% wide.

Yikes.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622

Every Who is Bottom 10 disscution is pointless since we're going in circle since there isn't any BAD CHARACTER a la kirby/bowser/pichu/Roy from Melee.

And yeah. Palutena seem to do good. I don't know about Samus at all. Can you give me some set link if it don't bother you?
I dunno Jiggs is really butt

Huge handicap with her weight, without a contrasting strength

Hero_2_All

Smash Apprentice
Corrin IMO can't possibly be lower than high-mid tier. When you have crazy disjoints that stay out for a long time, a useful projectile, insane killing power (tipper F-Smash, Dragon Lunge), a difficult to gimp recovery (albeit lacking in range), good frame data in terms of attack speed, one of the strongest counters in the game, AND kill throws, you are pretty much the complete package. All of these make up for lack of mobility in spades, though I'd like if people more familiar with Corrin could chime in on how Corrin does against other swordsmen.

Speaking of swords, Abadango mentioned in his AMA that he considers Roy EDIT: his least favorite character to play (whoops read that wrong before).

Fox Is Openly Deceptive Fox Is Openly Deceptive I noticed in your Link down throw ratings that quite a few high tier characters are in there. Do you think that Link is better than a lot of people perceive, or is he so lacking in other areas (like getting the grab) that even the reward he gets from down throw isn't enough to make up for it?
Corrin goes pretty evenly vs the other swordsmen. The match ups are either slightly for or against Corrin. Her ground range is the best in the game, and as such she can out range and out frame data pretty much any swordsman on the ground ( In grounded CQB some swordsmen beat her though). Cloud on the ground though can beat her due to his mobility, limit, and better CQB. In the air though other swordsmen can beat out Corrin is some ways. A good chunk of the swordsmen slightly out range her excluding her B-air. Yet, her frame data in the air is generally the best out of the swordsmen. So she can preemptively throw a N-air and get in their space to win aerial challenges, or you can out range them with b-air. Also her combo / juggle game is also probably one of if not the best among the swordsmen ( Cloud juggles better, but Corrin combos better). Side note her option coverage from on the stage is pretty god like as well. From what Ive seen on the Corrin boards she rated to be low top 15, or top 20 character. So a high high tier, or low top tier (around 11- 12th some say, we don't thinks shes top 10 material). Though I've praised her allot, she does still have some problems. Chiefly her low mobility, lack of a combo throw, and her slightly bellow average recovery. All those do hinder her, and do open her to counter play, but her pros greatly out weight her cons.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182

MR R made a sheik match up chart
This is extremely optimistic.

As someone said, this is an ESAM chart. Almost the entire chart should be bumped down by 1 group.

I also find it hilarious that ESAM listed Pika/Sheik as Pika's favour while Mr R listed it as Sheik's favour. Top players are skilled and experienced, but bias + the fact they can never agree with each other makes their MU spreads really unreliable.

Dabuz is the only top player to have posted a sensible and realistic MU spread IMO.

Last edited:

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
I can definitely see the matchup in Sheik's favor since Pika can't really edgeguard Sheik, Sheik still has kill confirms, nair means Pikachu can't use Quick Attack as freely, and etc.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
There is no such thing as a 'Bottom 10' in this game - not in the sense that people are throwing around. People just need to be able to get past that. Discussions like this are pointless because half the cast is in this general mid-tier-viable level and people just wind up picking some of them at random and calling them the Bottom 10.
There's definitely a bottom 10-15 or so who have fewer tools relative to the rest of the cast, but they're generally not garbage. If I had to make a general outline of low tier, I'd probably list in no particular order :4jigglypuff::4dedede::4ganondorf::4shulk::4feroy::4zelda::4bowserjr::4charizard::4palutena::4duckhunt::4falco::4kirby::4littlemac: as generally lowish characters who struggle against a good chunk of the relevant cast instead of just a few MUs.

Jalil

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JeMaraj
Shulk definitely loses to sonic, fox, sheik, diddy, robin, mario and bayo for sure but all of those mu's bar fox are doable. He doesn't struggle with the majority of the cast, he struggles with the majority of top tiers. Most people assume they murk shulk for the sole reason of "frame data sucks".

Last edited:

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
Shulk definitely loses to sonic, fox, sheik, diddy, robin, mario and bayo for sure but all of those mu's bar fox are doable. He doesn't struggle with the majority of the cast, he struggles with the majority of top tiers. Most people assume they murk shulk for the sole reason of "frame data sucks".
What about Greninja? And how does Robin beat Shulk?

jespoke

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jespoke
There's definitely a bottom 10-15 or so who have fewer tools relative to the rest of the cast, but they're generally not garbage. If I had to make a general outline of low tier, I'd probably list in no particular order :4jigglypuff::4dedede::4ganondorf::4shulk::4feroy::4zelda::4bowserjr::4charizard::4palutena::4duckhunt::4falco::4kirby::4littlemac: as generally lowish characters who struggle against a good chunk of the relevant cast instead of just a few MUs.
I think Kirby murders the rest of your selection in results, but otherwise these seem to be rounding out the cast. At some point Samus might rejoin if the buffs were not enough, as may something we are overrating here that we can't predict.

I think Sol's Mac is so frequently mentioned as being scary that i would place him high even on a fairly wide bottom X list (based on the theory and results displayed by his best player i guess)

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
Bowser Jr really needs to be on that bottom 10 list, possibly Dr Mario as well. Lucina might also be a contender, now that Marth's aerials actually kill outside of offstage within decent percents (120-150%) whereas Lucina is still well outside anything reasonable, their difference might just be that big (and it's not like Marth is that high up either).

E: apparently I can't see properly

Last edited:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
I think Kirby murders the rest of your selection in results, but otherwise these seem to be rounding out the cast. At some point Samus might rejoin if the buffs were not enough, as may something we are overrating here that we can't predict.

I think Sol's Mac is so frequently mentioned as being scary that i would place him high even on a fairly wide bottom X list (based on the theory and results displayed by his best player i guess)
Kirby and Mac are kind of borderline here, and are probably interchangeable with Doc or whoever is just above them. The exact rank of some of these characters are pretty fuzzy. Kirby strikes me as kind of bad but has some unique properties that make him effective as situational anti-meta character who's easy to pick up and play, and so is effective when used selectively as a counterpick character. He's pretty lackluster overall though.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
Bowser Jr really needs to be on that bottom 10 list, possibly Dr Mario as well. Lucina might also be a contender, now that Marth's aerials actually kill outside of offstage within decent percents (120-150%) whereas Lucina is still well outside anything reasonable, their difference might just be that big (and it's not like Marth is that high up either).

E: apparently I can't see properly
I don't know, theory wise I'd be inclined to agree with you about Bowser Jr. being bottom 10, but Tweek's results with this character were too good even BEFORE all his worst matchups were nerfed. Look at this result list and realize that Tweek was going solo-Bowser Jr. for the majority of it. KTAR XVII is when he made the complete switch-over. He knew something the rest of us did not.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
Bottom 15 is just as urky as the high/mid tier is for me. I think that :4charizard::4samus::4feroy: are actually decent. But I can't argue that they're objectively not bottom 15. It's just how the numbers end up working out, and it's kind of frustrating.

I feel like sure, there bottom 15 technically but their not bottom tier to me. Does that make any sense?

:150:

Shady Shaymin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-3217-2048
I'm getting really sick of all this "there is no bottom 10" circlejerking nonsense. At top level play there are very clearly terrible characters in smash 4. Jigglypuff Dedede, despite whatever "pros" they have that may be overlooked, are not going to be winning majors any time soon because almost anything good they do is completely **** on by their plethora of bad traits. There are gartbage tier characters in this game. There are completely unviable characters in this game. To the extent of previous smash games? Probably not. But I'm starting to get the impression that all this is just an attempt to further develop the narrative that smash 4 has superior character balance to melee and that for that reason, our game can hold a candle to it, and as someone who is completely indifferent to melee I will not comment. Smash 4 has a nice big pool of viable characters, but we don't need to gas it and act like the balance is perfect or that there are no garbage tier characters.

ARISTOS

Smash Ace
@ Mr. R's Sheik MU list- lmao

@ :4luigi:- Loses to some common characters in :4sheik::rosalina: but having good MUs against :4mario::4diddy: is pretty neat. I feel not losing to Diddy will be very important in the coming months. I see him as a bit anti-meta.

Also, he's a fine character. It's hard to see the character as bad when Luigi does well in one of the toughest regions in the world.

@ :4falcon:- Has really benefited from Sheik nerfs and the general disappearance of Pika.

@:4corrin:- IMO, top 10. I think the radius in which this character gets to dominate is massive, kinda shuts down tons of characters for free. Too many Corrin mains press too many buttons.

@Bottom 10- Not too important given the relative strength of characters, the cards just end up falling as they may. :4jigglypuff: is the only REALLY bad character, and she isn't irredeemable (don't want to see a good Puff though)

Last edited:

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
And how does Robin beat Shulk?
Here's a writeup.
Note that this is from December 2014, meaning it's before a bunch of Robin's buffs (Wind Jab, Thunder variants, Dthrow, etc).
Basically, Robin forces him to approach and combos on him really well. His aerials are faster and autocancel, and he has a F4 jab on the ground. Post-patch, Dthrow and wind jab get added into the mix.
Dath vs TremendoDude at Glitch.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
I'm getting really sick of all this "there is no bottom 10" circlejerking nonsense. At top level play there are very clearly terrible characters in smash 4. Jigglypuff Dedede, despite whatever "pros" they have that may be overlooked, are not going to be winning majors any time soon because almost anything good they do is completely **** on by their plethora of bad traits. There are gartbage tier characters in this game. There are completely unviable characters in this game. To the extent of previous smash games? Probably not. But I'm starting to get the impression that all this is just an attempt to further develop the narrative that smash 4 has superior character balance to melee and that for that reason, our game can hold a candle to it, and as someone who is completely indifferent to melee I will not comment. Smash 4 has a nice big pool of viable characters, but we don't need to gas it and act like the balance is perfect or that there are no garbage tier characters.
Eh, I don't think it's out of a desire to compare Smash 4 to Melee directly. Either way, I think the point is that most characters have some sort of use. Low tier Kirby goes even with or beats top tier Fox. Shulk does decently against Cloud. So on and so forth. Doesn't mean every character is viable - doubly so if we mean "solo-viable." But it's nice to know that there exists no character that is so terrible that they can literally do nothing. There are poor matchups, there is a bottom 10, etc. But for a game with nearly 60 characters? The balance is pretty good.

On a related note, patches make it so hard to drop a character. I know for a fact I could do better with Lucario than I can do with Kirby, but the chance that Kirby can get a meaningful buff throws me off. *shrug*

AxelVDP

Smash Apprentice
Bottom 15 is just as urky as the high/mid tier is for me. I think that :4charizard::4samus::4feroy: are actually decent. But I can't argue that they're objectively not bottom 15. It's just how the numbers end up working out, and it's kind of frustrating.

I feel like sure, there bottom 15 technically but their not bottom tier to me. Does that make any sense?

:150:
that's because ranking by numbers is next to useless in this game
imo it hurts more than what it's worth, you gain no useful information by looking at a "bottom X" or "top X" because the game's balance is actually pretty solid overall, if anything, by assigning a number to a character you create the foundations for unreasonable bias, especially among lesser informed individuals ("hey, this character X is in the bottom half! it means that it is completely unviable at high level!!") (just look at what's happening with samus for example)

I think that dividing characters by (unordered) viability groups could be more useful than what we have right now

I don't know, discussing the exact numerical placement of a character in a list sounds really pointless to me, it's far more useful and interesting to discuss a character's tools and the way they interact with others

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
I think that dividing characters by (unordered) viability groups could be more useful than what we have right now
Except that's what we've been doing, and look where that's gotten us.
People's Top X or Bottom X lists usually aren't ordered, so they essentially serve as ranking viability.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Well yeah. There are definitely characters in this game with too many realistically unwinnable top level MUs. It's not unreasonable to think a Ness main could get a nice bracket draw and avoid top Rosas on their way to winning a national, but it is unreasonable to think a top Ganon could wind up avoiding top Bayos, Sheiks, Clouds, Rosas, Sonics, Villagers, Greninjas, Pikas, etc. and win a national. Being better than Melee/Brawl bottom tiers is great. Being viable at a local and regional level is great. But there are still some significantly underpowered characters in this game, some of which may be improved in the future, but some will likely not, and we need to come to terms with that.

Megamang

Smash Lord
People ask 'what has that gotten us' or 'where are we getting'...

Nothing and nowhere!

But, fortunately, the world isn't expecting an end product from this thread. We're just nerds, talking about a game. This thread in particular is supposed to be a meta overview of the current state of the game, and we can talk about whatever in particular that happens to be.

I also find bottom X top X fruitless to talk about, but if we really want to do that, that is fine.

Otherwise, I'd like to talk about something else. Greninja is making more waves, which is interesting.

I've also talked about characters doing better due to their bracket logic being much easier post patch, but I'm wondering who is on the other end of that spectrum. There must be someone, there is no way that everyone's tournament life got easier. I guess all the difficulty can be unloaded on the Shieks and other nerfed top smashers, but I don't buy that.

Maybe Kirby? He was antimeta, and really liked a bracket full of Shiek or ZSS, and detested Sonic, who went unnerfed and is in a better position, though I don't see nearly as many as before. Hes an odd character, requires some sort of character loyalist to really shine but has all these crazy good properties on the surface. There is a propensity to ignore that and just stay spindashing, but I think a grounded Sonic with a focus on strong ground game/movement would rek up the meta right now, with everyone and their sister worrying about divekicks.

Also, Zard just seems too good to be in bottom X lists. But I guess that is the gut feeling everyone is experiencing when they see their favorite underdog down there and think their dog must not be that under, just under enough to be an underdog in most situations.

Now that im sure im rambling, im going to end this. But hey, who got worse off in the meta? Probably everyone that hates Cloud.

Oh, a quick few thoughts on that. Lucario's see a character that can zone them out completely, is very mobile, and can reasonably expect to end the stock before 100% rather consistently... But maybe Komo sees a projectile based character who only gets better at camping in the clutch moments of the game, who can convert easy chip hits of ASC into aerials that get you into offstage positions where the same projectile has amazing coverage and can end your stock pre 100%, if he happens to be near 100%. Cloud does struggle when he misses a LCS, and if he misses it to a Lucario charging an AS he definitely will get punished. Dunno, but it is interesting seeing it as not a blow out, and I don't think the different stage lists are affecting this MU as much as, say, Sonic.

Last edited:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Also, Zard just seems too good to be in bottom X lists. But I guess that is the gut feeling everyone is experiencing when they see their favorite underdog down there and think their dog must not be that under, just under enough to be an underdog in most situations.
Kind of. Zard is definitely not trash and is noticeably better than the bottom 5 or so. But he's still bottom 15 because there still aren't all that many characters he's better than.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Replace Shulk with Link and I'd pretty much agree. I feel like there's no getting around that Link's low tier. He may be one of those "scary in the right hands" characters like Bowser Jr. and Little Mac but his shortcomings are still pretty big. .

Last edited:

Megamang

Smash Lord
Oh, here is something I find interesting and has pretty big importance in the meta right now.

Someone earlier mentioned that their MU vs Diddy, once Diddy got in they had to guess to get out of disadvantage, and even then the Diddy held the cards and could keep it going. Diddy with banana-in-hand is pretty dominant on the ground, and mobile enough that he can turn an attempted aerial approach into just 'landing near diddy' which sucks...

Who can escape once he gets advantage? ZSS, sometimes Rosa if Luma gets spawned right/jumps in correctly.... Shiek offstage? Anyone else?

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Fox Is Openly Deceptive Fox Is Openly Deceptive I noticed in your Link down throw ratings that quite a few high tier characters are in there. Do you think that Link is better than a lot of people perceive, or is he so lacking in other areas (like getting the grab) that even the reward he gets from down throw isn't enough to make up for it?
Having a lower weight, faster fall speed, and/or slower aerial-acceleration will all contribute towards Link's grab game being a serious threat, and it just so happens to be that many higher tiers conveniently fit this formula. It absolutely makes those MU's more manageable/favourable. When you're already susceptible to dying pretty early, the damage coming out of such a high priority move kinda sucks.

Getting the grab isn't as difficult as you might think either, not when you have the tools to make your opponent's movement more predictable and make them feel the need to shield outside of their preferred range. In MU's where the reward for getting the grab is especially high, there will also be less of an instinctive hesitation to go for the grab whenever you 'know' you've got it. Note that the grab cannot be strictly avoided on reaction regardless of what some people claim (reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nT2VOLwrqk), so when people avoid it it's either because they predicted/baited it, or they just so happened to be doing something that naturally avoided it. Its range (which got buffed mind you) is good enough to beat out pretty much everything else.

There are plenty of people that like to talk about Link's tier placement in this thread (for better or worse, arguably worse), so I'll try to keep it short.

I think Link may suffer a bit from the stigma of being a member of Brawl's triforce tier, which is simply to say that when looking for his placement in a tier list, people's natural instinct is to start by looking somewhere down the bottom, and then through certain concessions and admissions, they'll push him up a few notches. ("Oh, I didn't realise his tournament placings have been so consistently solid around the world since the game came out; maybe he's not complete garbage.") I was no different until around 2 months ago mind you, so don't feel too bad. I currently have him as no. 36 for what it's worth.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Replace Shulk with Link and I'd pretty much agree. I feel like there's no getting around that Link's low tier. He may be one of those "scary in the right hands" characters like Bowser Jr. and Little Mac but his shortcomings are still pretty big. .
The fact that Link has had multiple people getting results with him lately has me thinking he might be around the top of low tier at least.

He's had more people get results with him than Little Mac or Bowser Jr., and its recently.

I'd put Link, Kirby, Bowser Jr., G&W and probably Lucina at the top area of low tier. Marth I think juuuuuuust squeezes into the last spot of Mid Tier. WFT is Mid Tier somewhere, Mewtwo highest spot of Mid Tier.

Lucas... I'm not entirely sold on for either Low Tier or Mid Tier. Want to see if its more than a flash in the pan after his buffs.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
No. Link is pretty solid overall. He's got too many tools, way more than Shulk does. Link hits harder while also having better frame data, especially in terms of endlag. He does get bodied too hard up close to be in the upper half of the cast, but at least he has a semi-fast Nair that can help him get out of trouble. Shulk has nothing except Vision, which has crazy lag if it fails. Link is on the lower end of mid tier, which is more than I can convince myself of regarding Shulk.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
I don't care too much about "bottom 5/10/15" arguments mostly because I don't presume its that easy to a) naturally fit the lower tiers into such neat brackets or b) to figure out the proper ranking within low tier. To the extent anyone should be discussing low tiers at this point it should only be about figuring out who actually is low tier to begin with.

:4bowserjr::4dedede::4drmario::4duckhunt::4falco::4ganondorf::4jigglypuff::4kirby::4littlemac::4link::4palutena::4feroy::4samus::4zelda::4shulk::4charizard::4lucina:seem to be the characters considered most often as the "low tiers" of this game and that's already 17 characters! It just comes off as pointless semantics.

sedrf

Smash Journeyman
Going away from low tiers for a moment how do you feel about :4bayonetta:'s mu vs the various high/top tiers.
I know she struggles vs:4diddy: and loses somewhat vs :4greninja:. And she beats:4cloud2:,and:4myfriends:. Do any of you guys have any other suggestions or mu analysis vs top and high tiers

Megamang

Smash Lord
I'd argue zoning/range characters are designed to get bodied when someone gets in.

The question is, how hard can they make it to get in?

Jalil

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JeMaraj
What about Greninja? And how does Robin beat Shulk?
In neutral I feel like Greninja vs Shulk is pretty even.
Shulk hates people who can consistently and safely attack him during the brief moments of lag between his disjointed attacks. As long as shulks spacing is on point, Greninja can't reliably approach with nair and fair which he gets most of his damage from. Although Shulk still has to fear grens burst moves like dash attack and dash grab which have pretty high reward. Shulks grounded pokes outrange all of grens and the frame data on them specifically isn't much worse. Grens out of sheild game being kinda non-existent (he usually likes to drop sheild jab, dtilt or reset to neutral but shulk shouldn't be in that range anyway) let's shulk get away with more than he usually would against other high tiers.
Speed and jump art allows shulk to punish whiffed water shurikens from mid range so he can't reliably camp shulk either. If shulk wanted to he could play the whole match in jump and speed.
Advantage is in greninja's favor. The most shulk can do in this mu while getting juggled is jump out, airdodge or counter. Greninja's standard combo's like nair-->fair, up throw-->up air, etc have tight enough windows so that when they don't true combo, shulks basically forced to airdodge which creates constant 50:50 situations at high percents. Shulk can somewhat negate this by going into shield art but then greninja can just camp him with water shuriken til it runs out. At least shulk doesn't get killed but he doesn't gain much either.
Smash art can be used to lighten himself up and avoid combo's, tho I'd say it's more useful at lower percents. At higher ones the percent threshold for kill combo's shifts dramatically or disappears outright but stray hits can kill you a lot easier. The same could be said for smash art vs any character but there's specific things he can use it to avoid. Take pre-patch sheiks down throw for example; at the percents it would be a 50:50, shulk in smash is sent far enough for him to always be able to jump out.
Gren can hydropump shulks recovery free, he doesnt even have to go offstage. Shulk has to either go high or constantly mix up his recovery time(which isn't a problem in jump) to not get gimped. Up air can go through the flat bottom of smashville and still hit an opponent to cover himself and keep in mind shulk can sweetspot the ledge in the first few frames of air slash the same way cloud can so he's not completely helpless while recovering low.
Shulk has no problem going off stage with jump to contest grens recovery. He can outrange shadow sneak to the ledge with fsmash/bair and easily 2 frame hydropump without committing much with ledge drop-->rising nair which covers behind and below. Rising nair at the ledge can't be punished if you miss the 2 frame and is especially dangerous in smash art at 90+percents since it can kill. At lower percents you can rising nair with jump on so that if greninja goes high and shoots past the ledge you can still punish him.
Overall no one stomps the other too much in each state. I can see it being even with greninja having the easier side. Shulk has to really know greninja to do well.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
On the topic of Link, who is carrying him? On the competitive channels I follow, the only notable Link I know about is Hyrule Hero and he's usually bopped before the top 16. As Fox is Openly Deceptive kind of alluded to, I never hear about Link players or them making waves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom