• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v1.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Dragon Fang doesn't combo into itself except at specific percents on specific characters but thanks for continuing to spread misinformation.

I totally agree that Shurikens are massive but I would make an argument for Bombs being just that little bit more threatening. Both set-up for a whole bunch of stuff (Shuriken has more combo use when it's fully charged so that its slower and the final hit pops people up for Fair), the reason I think bombs win out is because once you commit to Shurikens, you commit, and the variance of when you shoot it is nice but the opponent can just straight up hold shield the entire time if they want to or jump away. Which of course is fantastic in its own right but I think bombs being more versatile and can just be kept until needed pretty much makes them just that little bit better.

I'd say Shuriken is probably top 5 though. All of the big chargeable projectiles are also amazing but don't quite carry the same threat imo or don't kill early enough.
Bombs might be better, they just weren't mentioned. I wasn't really covering every projectile. You do commit a lot to the bomb pluck though.

ARISTOS

Smash Ace
I'd agree that Shurikens are a top 5 projectile in the game, just given the level of control that they grant and Greninja's mobility allowing him to constantly set the pace of the match.

Shadow Ball/Sun Salutation are both better than Charge Shot given they can freely charge it in the air, which allows for more mixups. Does anyone have data as to the speed of the moves?

Aura Sphere is alright but the real deal of the move comes from Aura Sphere Charge.

I would also put up Arcthunder for being one of the best projectiles. Charge time is slow and takes a while to get moving but the threat it poses once it's online is absolutely terrifying, especially once you've hit ~70%, in which Arcthunder-->D-throw--->Uair will start taking stocks

Rizen

Smash Legend
i think we have to examine :4bayonetta2: suspect mus. she has them and she might lose some of them. lets take a look:
:4sonic:-among the best in the game at laming her out, has decent reward off of a grab, has the ability to punish things other characters aren't able to, spindash is actually one of the few non-command grab moves that isn't significantly punished by witch time, spring is one of the few recoveries not blown up by her edgeguarding

:4greninja:- is very capable of camping her out with shurikens, can escape combos, again one of the few recoveries not absolutely blown up by her edgeguarding

these are the obvious "not clearly :4bayonetta2: favor" mus and i definitely think that some others might go even(:4cloud2::4mewtwo::4diddy::4sheik:). does anyone else have any mus that might give :4bayonetta: trouble?
I saw a match where Viceroy's Rosa beat Pink Fresh's Bayo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAjI_HuSCUg
:rosalina: seems to have good tools to beat bayo with reach, burst movement grabs and luma.
Bombs might be better, they just weren't mentioned. I wasn't really covering every projectile. You do commit a lot to the bomb pluck though.
:4link: has pretty fast projectiles including bomb pulls with a FAF of 40 frames (+8 to throw and 220 until they explode). Compare them to Pit's arrows with a FAF of 59 or Mario's fireballs with a FAF of 53, etc and they're not bad.

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
What really separates shurikens from a lot of the pack IMO is their travel speed. They actually move nearly as fast as needles which is invaluable against reactionary powershields. Link's arrows are good (significantly better than Toon Link's) for this reason too. Shadow Ball having fair startup at any charge before it's thrown and moving relatively slowly are the only things keeping it in check.

I think Dragon Fang is too slow to be among the best; the forced bite creates bad endlag and it moves pretty slow at any charge. It's generally not that rewarding on hit either after the nerfs (with the obvious exception of up close Bite or Fsmash combo, but both require you to use the move at a fairly unsafe range). Charge Shot is good but also quite laggy overall, you can't charge it in the air and I'm sometimes a little underwhelmed with its kill power.

And yeah I was considering the projectiles in relation to their characters because things get very fuzzy otherwise. Like I think some characters would rather have Diddy's banana than needles, but for others it'd be of comparatively little use.
Fair point, but perfect shielding projectiles isnt too hard if you get the hang of it, the only reason shiek's are so hard to react to is that they are barely visible and come out faster than water shurikens. And speed isn't everything, a slow projectile can control more space in a given time (again greninja's projectile is pretty versatile in that it can do that with the full charge). The size of a projectile is also very helpful, :4lucario: aura sphere wouldn't be half as broken if it wasn't a freaking spirit bomb, it even occasionally catches evasive maneuvers, It covers almost all ledge getup options (except letting go and jumping away but you lose ledge vulnerability) AND can hit people hanging on the ledge (2 framing isn't hard either with it's size and speed). Combine the two, and the only option most opponents has when hanging on the ledge is to get hit. And that's only half of what it can do, it's pretty godly in neutral for shield pressure, momentum shifts, conditioning, kill confirms, killing really damn early.....

:4corrin:Dragon fang shot moves pretty quick when fully charged, but that's not the main reason it's good for, It's a brilliant tool in alot of other ways, as My Smash Corner pointed out it covers a ton of getup options if :4corrin:'s fsmash wasn't already good enough so it could be worth mixing up between the two. The big thing about his projectile though is the bite itself (no pun intended), unless the amount of lag on his projectile alone would have been less by a considerable amount than the endlag of the bite, the bite is a major plus. It's got a massive hitbox and so even though the projectile has really low priority the bite doesn't. Also you can definitely charge it in the air, shot, bite, everything. Who told you, you can't?, speaking of which using it in the air is pretty amazing too, the bite beats out ALOT of moves and has a large enough hitbox to catch people trying to airdodge the projectile. It works much better as a mixup tool than a pure camping tool like :4greninja:s. There are a bunch of other things I could talk about this move too such as it working really well with a b-reverse and being able to charge the bite and shot separately. The bite also does a ton of shield damage, combined with a projectile it will break shield and if not, they have low enough shield health for the next tipper side b to break shield. And if we are talking about a projectile in relation to their characters I'd say corrin's definitely rewards him more than other characters, He is one of only two sword character with a usable projectile that itself should say something but it really helps corrin because well....his mobility is lacking outside of side b and a being able to force some characters to approach him is really helpful. Did I mention that not only can the move lead into combos but some of corrin's move can combo into it too? Specifically fair, uair and nair can true combo into the uncharged shot and since the uncharged shot can true combo into a full charged bite it's a seriously devastating option I don't see used enough. Especially near the ledge this will kill ridiculously early, I'm talking sub 60%. In no way is the move underwhelming in kill power or reward.

Also in no way am I trying to take any credit away from :4greninja:'s projectile, his is definitely up there too, just sayin that there are alot more things to consider~
Especially in the different ways projectiles across characters are used and the reward for using them that way.

Haha yeah I was thinking the same thing, like I think :4ganondorf: would rather have a strong zoning tool like :4sheik: needles to force people to approach him rather than a strong kill projectile like :4samus:

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
You can't charge Charge Shot in the air, not Dragon Fang.

I agree with you about the others you mentioned, I just don't think those two are particularly good. Dragon Fang is solid but I do think the nerf to it + Corrin's movement speed had an effect.

And yeah I was thinking exactly the same thing. Ganon would much rather have something like needles than a banana or kill projectile, but characters with good mobility who get ridiculous kill confirms out of a banana (imagine Roy's banana to Fsmash) would prefer that.

---

The bomb pull gives bombs a forced 40 frame startup which is nothing short of terrible when you can't mix up any level of charge. Bombs have a lot of strengths but their startup isn't one of them. And you have to add on the ending lag from a bomb toss which I know is around 13, so it gives bomb pull to instant throw a FAF of just over 60 frames.

Bombs are good because they're not a traditional projectile though. They have a lot of other unique strengths.

Last edited:

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Dragon Fang doesn't combo into itself except at specific percents on specific characters but thanks for continuing to spread misinformation.
Bro, if you use the projectile really up close and hold down B on the physical hit, you will hit characters. I've tested it before on almost every character with Corrin, and it works up close. You likely won't hit far, but up close it does work on the characters, even at 0% damage, where there shouldn't be much stun.

Last edited:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Concerning Bayo's ban, I think a better way to look at is from a pure objective and literal standpoint.

Sakurai and co. stated that Bayonetta's a combo monster, but has slow startup on her moves to compensate for it, as a reflection of how she plays in her games.

Witch Twist is a Frame 4 move that converts into a killing string at 20% that can be performed from the ground. ABK and Fair 1 are Frame 7 moves that convert into a killing string at 10%.

Denotatively, Bayonetta is a "broken" character, in the sense that an aspect of her movekit run in direct contradiction to the guidelines that were laid out in her Direct video, and should be viewed as such due to it.

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Bro, if you use the projectile really up close and hold down B on the physical hit, you will hit characters. I've tested it before on almost every character with Corrin, and it works up close. You likely won't hit far, but up close it does work on the characters, even at 0% damage, where there shouldn't be much stun.
Oh, you mean shot to bite? Your wording was ambiguous. I thought you meant the repeated shot combo on fast fallers.

But yeah, I and everyone else already know that fully charged bite combos from any shot charge. It's a great combo that I even mentioned in my post.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Oh, you mean shot to bite? Your wording was ambiguous. I thought you meant the repeated shot combo on fast fallers.

But yeah, I and everyone else already know that fully charged bite combos from any shot charge. It's a great combo that I even mentioned in my post.
Oh, well, I should have not been ambiguous, I guess.

Anyways, it really is such a great kill setup since it's pretty efficient if your opponent tries to guess what you're going for. Sadly, the only things that beat it are reflecting, shielding and countering, but the move really makes up for it overall and it's dexterity and usability are what makes it such a dangerous move, especially when Corrin can just edge-guard you with it (that is a thing, too).

Tizio Random

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TizioRandom
Switch FC
SW 1700 2165 1827
Concerning Bayo's nerf, I think a better way to look at is from a pure objective and literal standpoint.

Sakurai and co. stated that Bayonetta's a combo monster, but has slow startup on her moves to compensate for it, as a reflection of how she plays in her games.

Witch Twist is a Frame 4 move that converts into a killing string at 20% that can be performed from the ground. ABK and Fair 1 are Frame 7 moves that convert into a killing string at 10%.

Denotatively, Bayonetta is a "broken" character, in the sense that an aspect of her movekit run in direct contradiction to the guidelines that were laid out in her Direct video, and should be viewed as such due to it.
This is exactly what I have been saying for a long time now. Bayonetta should be so slow on start-up that all of her moves become reactable. They should be difficult to land, they would need a read or catch an opponent off-guard, but when they land they bring great damage or even death at not ridicolous percentage. If Witch Twist had 12 frame start-up, for example, it would be completely fine.

Rizen

Smash Legend
The bomb pull gives bombs a forced 40 frame startup which is nothing short of terrible when you can't mix up any level of charge. Bombs have a lot of strengths but their startup isn't one of them. And you have to add on the ending lag from a bomb toss which I know is around 13, so it gives bomb pull to instant throw a FAF of just over 60 frames.

Bombs are good because they're not a traditional projectile though. They have a lot of other unique strengths.
I think we're on the same page. I didn't mean to throw a bomb right after pulling but rather 40 frames to pull one isn't much commitment if Link's not stupid about it. Anytime after the pull a frame 8 projectile with little end lag is fantastic.

Last edited:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
If Witch Twist was frame 12 it would significantly damage her recovery flow and she'd be super prone to interception.

It can be fast. It just needs to not combo into stuff from the ground from the first hitbox. Sonic's Spring is an example of the quirks of the move changing depending on whether it was used in the air or on the ground, so it's not impossible to change grounded Witch Twist to where the first hitboxes do purely horizontal knockback while the aerial Witch Twist carries opponents up. Just give her more jumpsquat frames so that Combo!Witch Twist is still reasonably slow when performed out of a short hop.

ABK and Fair changes would be as simple as increasing the FAF frame count on the latter unless they go directly into Fair 2, like how Jab combos and Meta Knight's Ftilt works, and giving the former the same startup as the grounded variant.

Last edited:

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Ummm I'm confused what do you mean?

excuse the quality I made this in like 10 seconds,
He made an error there, apparently. He probably meant that Samus can't charge her Charge Shot in the air, but Corrin can, or something along the lines and meaning of that.

If Witch Twist was frame 12 it would significantly damage her recovery flow and she'd be super prone to interception.

It can be fast. It just needs to not combo into stuff from the ground. Sonic's Spring is an example of the quirks of the move changing depending on whether it was used in the air or on the ground, so it's not impossible to change grounded Witch Twist to where it does purely horizontal knockback while the aerial Witch Twist carries opponents up. Just give her more jumpsquat frames so that Combo!Witch Twist is still reasonably slow when performed out of a short hop.

ABK and Fair changes would be as simple as increasing the FAF frame count on the latter unless they go directly into Fair 2, like how Jab combos and Meta Knight's Ftilt works, and giving the former the same startup as the grounded variant.
They could just shorten her projectile range, give her more landing lag on aerials, no AC, more ending lag on some attacks, much more startup on combo attacks and make her Up B much shorter in vertical range.

It's just a joke, don't kill meh.

Last edited:

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
You can't charge Charge Shot in the air, not Dragon Fang.
Oooh lol I thought you meant you can't charge the dragon fang shot in the air.
But still there I guess there has got to be some drawback otherwise her shot would just be a faster, stronger, larger shadow ball.... even so, not being able to charge in the air is a pretty minor drawback for how good the move is.

He made an error there, apparently. He probably meant that Samus can't charge her Charge Shot in the air, but Corrin can, or something along the lines and meaning of that.
Thanks Larry!

Last edited:

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
Calm down. You're actually spreading misinformation yourself since Dragon Fang Shot isn't character specific. (Paralysis time is universal) and Larry is right in this case; Dragon Fang Shot absolutely combos into itself at point blank range.

I agree with you on one point though. DFS isn't that great of a projectile, especially when it's charged due to its high commitment.

Last edited:

Yikarur

Smash Master
Are you even reading? He already stated that he thought Larry meant something different.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558

They could just shorten her projectile range, give her more landing lag on aerials, no AC, more ending lag on some attacks, much more startup on combo attacks and make her Up B much shorter in vertical range.

It's just a joke, don't kill meh.

Actually most of these are reasonable nerf ideas, it's just the whole package would probably kill her lol. You're doing good Larry, you're doing good. :)

On a different subject, what are the next set of big tournaments coming around? As a bit of self-region-promotion (teehee), the Aussie major BAM 8 is coming up in mid May. Do we have anything big before then?

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Calm down. You're actually spreading misinformation yourself since Dragon Fang Shot isn't character specific. (Paralysis time is universal). Larry is right in this case; Dragon Fang Shot combos into itself at point blank range.

I agree with you on one point though. DFS isn't that great of a projectile, especially when it's charged due to its high commitment.
Go back and actually read my reply.

You can combo shot into bite, you can't combo shot into shot (except at specific percents, shown on My Smash Corner) as I thought he was saying since his wording was ambiguous. Or maybe I just misunderstood but either way I thought he meant something different.

EDIT: PK Gaming PK Gaming No worries (and I know we all miss stuff) just wanted to clarify. Shot to bite is definitely a great strength of the move.

Last edited:

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
Go back and actually read my reply.

You can combo shot into bite, you can't combo shot into shot (except at specific percents, shown on My Smash Corner) as I thought he was saying since his wording was ambiguous. Or maybe I just misunderstood but either way I thought he meant something different.
Oh. Sorry about that, I didn't see your response.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Probably because she is soft-banned most places.
Pretty much this. Thanks to Metaknight's nerfs, Bayo is now the only character in the game who can fairly easily 0 to death most of the cast with the right combos and it's definitely the elephant in the room. Notice how a lot of the top level players haven't really jumped on the Bayo bandwagon yet. Most of the switches have been from mid level players who formally mained mid or even low tier characters. Saj, Ninjalink, Pink Fresh, Aerolink, etc all fit this description and their rankings have absolutely exploded. It doesn't take a genius to understand what would happen if Nairo, Dabuz, Ally, Zero, etc suddenly dropped their characters and switched to Bayo. Mid level players with Bayo is already rough but top level players with Bayo would be incredibly polarizing and this is so evident that, out of a sense unspoken respect, you don't have these players switching to her. If nerfs come in the future (and it's almost inevitable at this point) you may see some switches but right now it's too obvious that Bayo would ruin top level play.

EnhaloTricks

Smash Apprentice
Actually most of these are reasonable nerf ideas, it's just the whole package would probably kill her lol. You're doing good Larry, you're doing good. :)

On a different subject, what are the next set of big tournaments coming around? As a bit of self-region-promotion (teehee), the Aussie major BAM 8 is coming up in mid May. Do we have anything big before then?
TGC7 is this weekend on the 9th. There will be a stream as well this time! ESAM, MVD, pugwest, S2H, maybe other socal? Couple other big names.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
It doesn't take a genius to understand what would happen if Nairo, Dabuz, Ally, Zero, etc suddenly dropped their characters and switched to Bayo.
Not that talk about banning Bayonetta should be happening in here in the first place but this argument is awful and you should feel bad for bringing it up.

:059:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Not that talk about banning Bayonetta should be happening in here in the first place but this argument is awful and you should feel bad for bringing it up.

How so? I followed competitive Brawl in its entirety when everyone and their mail carrier had a pocket Metaknight and, in the later years of Brawl, it was largely the same situation. I'm not even arguing for a ban because, as I pointed out, the community's perspective is that she could easily polarize the game if the best players are using her. The best players tend to use the best characters, that's no surprise, so if they're not using them, there's likely something in their head that's talking them out of that switch. In a way, the community is currently regulating itself so that nothing official is put into place or it starts something that would be difficult to reverse.

Add in: As I said, mid level players are suddenly having results they could have only dreamed about a year ago and the same could be said about a lot of new Cloud players too. The difference between Cloud and Bayo though is that Bayo can 0-death the cast or simply kill off the top at head slappingly low percentages and is largely untouchable offstage in the right hands. Compare this to Sheik before the last patch. Sheiks weren't 0-deathing people. She was good but Bayo's advantage state is a whole different monster and we all know this. Cloud's a beast but only because he's overtuned for a number of his moves while Bayo does stuff the rest of the cast literally can't. Bayo's probably going to get what's coming to her and, this too, is something you don't exactly need a crystal ball to see. As Muster said, top level players have more to lose if she gets nerfed after switching to her while mid level players are living pretty high on the horse right now because they're going toe to toe with some of the best players in the world thanks to a simple character switch. Easy come, easy go.

Last edited:

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
I remember Nairo tried playing Bayonetta in one tourney. He lost the ditto against Salem (and then eliminated at 17th by Dabuz).
Dabuz was also playing Bayonetta and was later eliminated by a DK. An interesting tournament for sure.

Thank you for this.

Bayonetta is a character who's play style is largely disconnected from the rest of the cast, The top characters would have to learn a completely new playstyle to effectively use bayonetta, and for some of them doing that 1.5 years into the scene just isn't worth the effort, especially if Bayonetta just gets hit with the nerf hammer like Diddy and sheik before her.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326

The only real changes that would be reasonable would be at least 1 to 2 frames (depending on attacks) on tilts and aerials for startup, 4 to 5 frames more on Smash attacks, a frame 9 Witch Twist with higher KBG, 80% range of what was Bullet Climax and to compensate, give her additional power to her attacks and yet still let her combo into certain combos. That's all I can think of that won't really kill her. Endlag and landing lag can be the same, but startup could change to give her balance at least.

And as for tournaments, we do have one tournament here in Louisiana that's a major worth seeing later on this month...in ten days. SLAM 2016, the South Louisiana Major. I'm hoping to see some good faces there that will shine. I do hope to see a diverse cast of characters, too!

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I'm going to be honest here and say that every time I see FFAs brought up in relation to balancing characters and especially heavies...I couldn't care less.

You know why FFAs don't matter when it comes to balancing? Because they're political.

You know why FFAs only matter in terms of character design if you want moves to affect more than one character at a time? Because you can't balance for them.

You know why I don't give a good god damn about FFAs when it comes to this topic?

FFAs are not competitive, and they cannot, will not, ever be.
It doesn't matter what "logical" reason you can cook up for why they shouldn't be balancing for FFAs, they're going to do it anyway.

:4link: has pretty fast projectiles including bomb pulls with a FAF of 40 frames (+8 to throw and 220 until they explode). Compare them to Pit's arrows with a FAF of 59 or Mario's fireballs with a FAF of 53, etc and they're not bad.
Pit's arrows have a FAF of 59 on the ground, but he shouldn't really be using them on the ground. They have a FAF of 43 in the air, and as long as you don't interrupt it before landing you'll land with zero landing lag.

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
While I wouldn't say it ruins the neutral of certain characters, the reward CAN be disproportionate. To me, jabs and most tilts shouldn't be punished with a big combo. I think the time alloted should be scaled down further to where attacks 11%+ really get hurt by it, but jabs essentially just get dodged.
That sounds like bad game design.

Browny

Smash Hater

Literally the worst counter-argument typical of this forum, that should be worthy of infractions.

If all the top players dropped their mains and switched to Bayo, it WOULD be a precedent for a ban when all major top 8's are bayo dittos. Watch viewership plummet to the floor, sponsors leave and the game dies.

Of course its a rather outrageous hypothetical scenario that isn't even worth the time to discuss, but it IS plausible and you can't discredit it with no reasoning whatsoever. Ignore it if you must.

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
It's the design the rest of the counters are based around, so...
Sheik only has two attacks that do at least 11%, those attacks are tippered up smash and the first hitbox on Vanish.

Ganondorf has a lot of attacks that do at least 11%. The second hit of down smash, down tilt, forward tilt, forward aerial, back aerial, up aerial, down aerial, Warlock Punch, down special, neutral aerial, up smash, and up tilt.

Now do you understand? Witch Time would murder some characters while barely doing much to other characters.

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
I think we're on the same page. I didn't mean to throw a bomb right after pulling but rather 40 frames to pull one isn't much commitment if Link's not stupid about it. Anytime after the pull a frame 8 projectile with little end lag is fantastic.
We are - I think bombs are amazing. Again, probably a top 5 projectile. The bomb pull is still a consideration but obviously that's what's keeping the move balanced.

Shortlist for top tier projectiles IMO:
  • Needles
  • Shadow Ball
  • Bombs (both Links)
  • Diddy's banana
  • Shurikens
  • Aura Sphere
  • Gyro
Shoutouts to Dragon Fang (not all that IMO but I appreciate the arguments for it), Arcthunder, Sun Salutation and potentially Link's Arrows. I may be missing some but these are the ones that spring to mind. Funnily enough I'm not sure any of the dedicated zoners (Mega Man, Pac-Man, Samus etc) have top tier projectiles. Fruit and metal blade are likely high tier though, fruit in particular is really good just has a lot of counterplay.

I also think that in some MUs, namely with big characters or characters who rely on short hops, Bullet Climax is the best projectile in the game. In other MUs, namely with short characters with a good ground game and a good recovery, it's next to useless. If it fired horizontally it'd be the best projectile in the game easily (and Bayo would win every MU by quite some margin).

Jexulus

Omnivore of the Year
NNID
Jexulus
3DS FC
3883-5870-2795
Sheik only has two attacks that do at least 11%, those attacks are tippered up smash and the first hitbox on Vanish.

Ganondorf has a lot of attacks that do at least 11%. The second hit of down smash, down tilt, forward tilt, forward aerial, back aerial, up aerial, down aerial, Warlock Punch, down special, neutral aerial, up smash, and up tilt.

Now do you understand? Witch Time would murder some characters while barely doing much to other characters.
It sounds like a possible fix would be to have the duration be based on knockback dealt instead of damage dealt, since that scales a lot better across the cast. It would serve to balance it in a way the rest of the counters in the game are; no one dies when they jab Corrin's counter because damage and knockback dealt by the counter are directly dependent on the attack being countered and scale accordingly. Witch Time doesn't work by those rules at this time, or if it does, not adequately enough.

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
We are - I think bombs are amazing. Again, probably a top 5 projectile. The bomb pull is still a consideration but obviously that's what's keeping the move balanced.

• Needles
  • Shadow Ball
  • Bombs (both Links)
  • Diddy's banana
  • Shurikens
  • Aura Sphere
  • Gyro
Shoutouts to Dragon Fang (not all that IMO but I appreciate the arguments for it), Arcthunder, Sun Salutation and potentially Link's Arrows. I may be missing some but these are the ones that spring to mind. Funnily enough I'm not sure any of the dedicated zoners (Mega Man, Pac-Man, Samus etc) have top tier projectiles. Fruit and metal blade are likely high tier though, fruit in particular is really good just has a lot of counterplay.

I also think that in some MUs, namely with big characters or characters who rely on short hops, Bullet Climax is the best projectile in the game. In other MUs, namely with short characters with a good ground game and a good recovery, it's next to useless. If it fired horizontally it'd be the best projectile in the game easily (and Bayo would win every MU by quite some margin).
To be honest, I'm feeling like Tink's Bomb could be the best projectile in the game (sharing that spot with Banana and maybe Needlestorm). It's safe to pull out if used right, you can pretty much take advantage of all specials while using it, you can Z-drop it, it combos into almost all of Tink's aerials, multiple can be onstage at once, it stuffs many approaches, it has good priority, etc. To be honest, it's potentially the most versatile of all projectiles and it's so freaking dangerous. Any good Tink that can take even decent advantage of bombs is quite scary, considering that if you get hit by even one, that could be the stock at sub-100%.

sedrf

Smash Journeyman
So I was looking at good bayo videos and I found a small texan tourney featuring top brass of the region. One shows how trela and ryu do against grimturtle's bayo.

PK Gaming

Smash Lord

• Needles
  • Shadow Ball
  • Bombs (both Links)
  • Diddy's banana
  • Shurikens
  • Aura Sphere
  • Gyro

Robin's Thunder should be on that list. Elthunder is a great pressure tool, and it does a ton of damage on hit. Thunder and Thoron are niche, but they have their uses, and i'm just going to quote Raziek on why Arcthunder is amazing.

Arcthunder is Robin's best projectile bar none
It is the "My turn" move
The second Arcthunder becomes active, your opponent loses their 'turn' to take the offense
they must evade it, and if they block or are hit by it, Robin gets AT LEAST to take space, and often gets a very lucrative grab punish
The move is so powerful because it fulfills this role on both offense AND defense
Using Thunder also gives Robin access to another high damage damage projectile that can kill and do a ton of shield stun. Plus it's chargeable in the air as well.

Last edited:

Jehtt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TurboJett
I'm surprised that Mega Man hasn't been mentioned yet for "best projectile". Lemons have a lot going for them.
  • Maneuverability: Mega Man has full control over walking and jumping while firing lemons, as well as during their "end lag."
  • Safety: The maneuverability of the move makes if very difficult to directly punish if Mega Man is doing it correctly.
  • Mixup: Mega Man has the choice to fire 1, 2, or 3 shots to mess with the opponent's momentum. Because Mega Man is jumping around while doing it, he can also mix in empty hops.
  • Multiple uses: Lemons aren't just a great tool in neutral. Their long range and minimal knockback is great for activating things like RCO lag or the 50 frame period where you can't grab the ledge after getting hit. The sweet spot of nair sends the opponent at a great angle for edge guarding. It's also one of the best jab locking moves in the game due to its range.
  • Counter Camping: Lemons clank with a ton of projectiles including, but not limited to:
    • Mario, Luigi, Doc fireballs
    • Diddy Kong's banana
    • Link/TLink's Boomerang and Arrows
    • Pit's Arrows
    • Pikachu's thunder jolt
    • Uncharged Aura Sphere, Shadow Ball, Sun Salutation, and Shurikens. It also stops uncharged gyro.
    • Villager's slingshots and Lloid.
    • EDIT: Corrin's Dragon Fang Shot, regardless of charge. I forgot that one but it's important.
And yeah I was considering the projectiles in relation to their characters because things get very fuzzy otherwise.
If we're considering projectiles strictly in the context of a character's toolkit, then Mega Man probably would be the best. He wouldn't function without lemons.

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master

I mean, you could say this about literally every other counterattack move in the game. With one or two exceptions, they all work by multiplying the incoming damage by some number, then dealing that damage back. (With a minimum damage so that even countering something pathetic like Luigi's sourspot up special does something. The pseudocode would be something like "IF damage * multiplier > threshold THEN return damage * multiplier ELSE return min_damage".) Countering anything of Sheik's will do less than countering anything of Ganondorf's, therefore Ganondorf is more susceptible to counterattack moves in general. Changing Witch Time to scale the slow duration based on incoming damage won't deviate from this.

Last edited:

Jalil

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JeMaraj
Metal blade's a top tier projectile but the reason it generally isn't thought of in coversations bout good projectiles is cuz megamans kit overall doesn't do it as much justice as it deserves. It's good for starting off combos and confirming into kills. Of course it has its use in neutral too.
If greninja had metal blade, he would be able to throw it diagonally and combo into uptilt--->up air spike or dtilt to whatever. If he has mb in hand then throws it right before he lands it he would be able to combo into up smash at kill percents, fair, etc.
Ryu would be able to combo a diagonal metal blade throw into up tilt, dtilt and shoryuken.
Megaman himself can infinite of off shorthop-->downward mb throw if he's holding it. Mb also enhances his spacing since it can be z dropped and caught immediately after the lag of an aerial is over. Fast fall z drop metal blade combo's into literally all of megamans moves (smash attacks included.) When thrown in different directions it can threaten that space without commiting much or leaving the ground.
Metal blade's a really versatile projectile thats kept in check by your opponent being able to grab it as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom