• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

4/19 Gigabits - The Melee exploded into a Brawl

Status
Not open for further replies.

purekorea

Smash Journeyman
The one with the leaves that change color and tilt up and down when you hit it. With the fake water at the bottom.

h1roshi

Smash Hero
Kissimmee, Florida playing melee! (f*** brawl, th
to fen fen, the kirby thing goes like this. if you walk all the way to the right ledge, as soon as you start to do your "wobbling over the ledge" animation as kirby , stop. press down+b and her rock will glitch and stay there for as long as it normally would but it will shake the whole screen and it will be an infinite hitbox. you cant get her out of it no matter what. rinse and repeat, and you have a pretty gay strategy.

I JUST FOUND THE VID ON YOUTUBE:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0Kdmnz1Lmcw

-hiro

LaughterIsDeadly

Smash Apprentice
Nuetrals only is a horrible idea imo, you'd be eliminating key elements of strategy
i agree but right now i don't know about the rest of you but, i'm having troubling figuring out which stages can be justified as counter picks and which should just be banned. I think starting out with neutrals only is fine till we figure out which of the hazard stages are acceptable.

purekorea

Smash Journeyman
to fen fen, the kirby thing goes like this. if you walk all the way to the right ledge, as soon as you start to do your "wobbling over the ledge" animation as kirby , stop. press down+b and her rock will glitch and stay there for as long as it normally would but it will shake the whole screen and it will be an infinite hitbox. you cant get her out of it no matter what. rinse and repeat, and you have a pretty gay strategy.

I JUST FOUND THE VID ON YOUTUBE:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0Kdmnz1Lmcw

-hiro
kirby for top tier xD.

Although that looks like something that we could just ban like the freeze glitch from ssbm.
Even though its doesn't under the same description. Not too sure.

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
to add onto the PS2 discussion, I heard G&W can kill people at any percent using the push on his u-air when the stage is on the Fly section.

Also, here's a great edge guard HTH told me about: u-air is broken

Raistlin

Smash Lord
Neutrals:

Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise
Smashville

Counterpicks:

Pokemon Stadium 1
Luigi's Mansion
Delfino Plaza
Castle Siege
Pirate Ship
Frigate Orpheon
Halberd
Corneria
Green Greens
Rainbow Cruise
Brinstar
Onett
Pipes (Yoshi's Island - Melee)
Pictochat
Distant Planet

Banned:

Green Hill Zone
Norfair
Jungle Japes
Pokemon Stadium 2
Bridge of Eldin
Big Blue
Mario Circuit
Shadow Moses Island
Port Town
Skyworld
Mushroomy Kingdom
Rumble Falls
New Pork City
Summit
75M
Mario Bros. Old
Flat Zone 2
Hanenbow
Hyrule Temple
WarioWare
Spear Pillar

Up for discussion now...

Distant planet?
Pictochat?
Pirate Ship?

I'm looking for knowledgeable and reasonable posts here....explain what you're thinking.
Just cuttin' this down to the list. The Neutrals look good, we even have Lylat Cruise to substitute for Melee's Battlefield as the "gay edges" stage. Although, I feel like PS1 should be a neutral, because nothing really happened to it in the switch that I think justifies a downgrade.

Counterpicks. Why is pipes legal? It has a walk-off edge, meaning instant KOs for DeDeDe. It should be banned along with the other walk-off stages. Onett really should be legal, partly for the same reason, and also because it's the mecca of camping. No need to promote that anymore than it already is in this game. I feel like Pictochat should be banned because 1) gay, 2)random transformations that suck, 3)can kill you unavoidably if you're big enough (e.g., Charizard. Those arrows on the ground appeared once as I was falling, meaning no jumps, and I DI'ed to get between two of them, and the hitboxes are large enough to nail you anyway, and thus instant death), and 3) it's a stupid, stupid stage. But I may be biased. I really don't like Distant Planet because of the walk-off ledge on the ledge, but otherwise it's all right. Pirate Ship is dumb. The cannon balls are not always avoidable. When you're both on one side (say, one edge-guarding and one being edge-guarded), you don't get to see the cannon balls until they land. Meaning if you happen to be edge guarding and not have the benefit of invincibility frames like your foe on the edge, you die and they don't. that is stupid.

For people who are arguing for Hanenbow: no. ****ty stage. Kills recoveries with hitboxes. I've knocked the leaves out of grabbing range with Squirtle's up-B with no alternative way too many times. Leave it banned. Also, I don't see too many problems with Norfair. It reminds a lot of Brinstar, just more lava antics. But I can live with it being banned, because it can get rather gay.

/walloftext

_Riot_

Smash Journeyman
I really dont see what the arguement is about on Great Sea, its not even worth debating. You can complain about the bombs,spring, tornado lift, and rock crash all you want, the problem here is: are you dumb enough not to see them coming from a mile away? Water also doesnt secure you a free come back, infact its easier edge guarding someone who fell in the water, than someone coming back normally. If you are the person who lands the first spike while in your water fight, you should end up winning. If you land the first spike and they dont die, you can time it where when their dumb *** floats back up, another spike is waiting for them. Water also makes characters with tether recoverys not gimped so easily, making this a great counterpick for them, i hear pikmin drown in water though (lolz pikmin suck). Also, water isnt constantly present, when your lifted up by tornado you can die all the same like on a normal stage.

Although i defend alot of stages people are considering to ban, some i just cant stomach. Hanenbow and bridgee of eld-crap are two i see people actually defending.

I'd also like to point out dedede is killing alot of stages in a way fox did in melee. The walk off stages in this game arnt half bad, but i dont believe any of them should be legal now considering, unless its like delfino plaza or castle siege in which only a part of the stage is walk off.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Please no hanabow or however you say it, the leaves are stupid, i don't think there are any edges, and the matches last a good 5 minutes when someone runs to one side and camps obnoxiuosly

Zoro

Smash Champion
Hey hey
dont be hatin mooney
this kid has a sacred no hate barrier

if u hatin...

something bad happens...

like he calls u cheap for using any other character than dedede
in a way that makes no sense whatsoever cuz he just started playing last week
but nobody can say anything back cuz he actually owns all of us

you dont want that to happen to u
you just...dont

C@sH Mooney

Smash Master
Hey hey
dont be hatin mooney

if u hatin...

something bad happens...

you just...dont
well I can't tell if hes being the least bit saracstic

but lol at this post, indeed :bee:

CaptainCrunch

Smash Ace
Neutrals:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise
Smashville

Counterpicks:

Pokemon Stadium 1
Luigi's Mansion
Delfino Plaza
Pirate Ship
Frigate Orpheon
Halberd
Corneria
Rainbow Cruise
Brinstar

Banned: Everything Else

From Fenrirs list I took off the walk off stages and walled stages because of chain grabs.

Stages That I think are up for discussion:
PictoChat (random attack to big chars. Just gay overall, I could do without it.)
Distant Planet(I don't like the walk off edge and chomper on the right.)
Castle Siege ( It's decent but has walk off edges in the second level. I don't rly like it.)

Pirate ship is pretty fair, I don't see a reason to ban it.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Put castle seige on the list and it's perfect pretty much. If I do good at Smash Bash 2 I will be coming to this! Btw, you guys should go there too, pot is over 700 dollars! That means first gets...423 as of right now!

C@sH Mooney

Smash Master
cash mooney, are you **** in brawl?

-hiro
I think the question is who isn't?

It's too simple to be decent at this game. >_>

yeah dude see what i do is i use Ike and i just do fully charged Forward B's across Final D.

Seriously
Won't work lol.

Well, I'm trying to ban permanent walk offs....partially for Will's reasoning behind it. no edgeguarding + DDD awkwardness...it's just not a fun idea. and really, the walk off levels aren't that good anyway.

I'm just not sure about banning stages with permanent walls...that's my concern about it. I'm not sure which stages this entails...but I know certain stages do have transformation walls and such...I don't think those really come into play here.

Explain this kirby rock thing on pictochat. I really like the level, but I'm seriously 50-50 on whether to ban it. I don't really think the hazards are too bad, but the wind one and the big brick pyramid thing that you can't drop through, but you can stay inside...those are kinda gay

Hanenbow is one of the worst level spacings I've ever seen...add that to the fact that when it changes, it can actually stop people from recovering. There's no reason that it should be allowed.

Norfair...I really don't like. I think it promotes camping...kills any sort of edge guarding and adds randomness to the game with particularly the lava spouts from the back. the side lava and ground lava really don't bother me, but the wave and the spouts...yeah, I'm banning that on my list.

Pirate Ship isn't unfair...get over it. It's slightly random, but everything is really avoidable...the flicker can be DIed...there's nothing too wrong with that stage as counterpick.

Also...Green Hill Zone got past me...blah... here's my new list.

Neutrals:

Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise
Smashville

Counterpicks:

Pokemon Stadium 1
Luigi's Mansion
Delfino Plaza
Castle Siege
Pirate Ship
Frigate Orpheon
Halberd
Corneria
Green Greens
Rainbow Cruise
Brinstar
Onett
Pipes (Yoshi's Island - Melee)
Pictochat
Distant Planet

Banned:

Green Hill Zone
Norfair
Jungle Japes
Pokemon Stadium 2
Bridge of Eldin
Big Blue
Mario Circuit
Shadow Moses Island
Port Town
Skyworld
Mushroomy Kingdom
Rumble Falls
New Pork City
Summit
75M
Mario Bros. Old
Flat Zone 2
Hanenbow
Hyrule Temple
WarioWare
Spear Pillar

Up for discussion now...

Distant planet?
Pictochat?
Pirate Ship?

I'm looking for knowledgeable and reasonable posts here....explain what you're thinking.
Darrel, that list is the most solid I've seen in awhile. Just get rid of Pirate ship and I'll be 100% fine with it.

GodMeowMix

Smash Ace
I think the question is who isn't?

It's too simple to be decent at this game. >_>
Being **** and decent is too different things though. I would say decent as not being laughed at when your playing a match, and **** as people saying, "OHHHH!" whenever you just owned your opponent. Or I dunno maybe just getting the other player to bend over during the match.

Mr H is MARIO

Smash Journeyman
Hey hey
dont be hatin mooney

if u hatin...

something bad happens...

you just...dont
Now see, i WOULD take offense to this, however, seeing as you've yet to place anything besides BAD at a tournament, your opinion means nothing.

P.S. I've never called johns on any other character.

EDIT: Sorry bro sometimes i just cant contain the fro, just comes out at random times like that.

Laijin

Smash Hero
Laijin, explain Big Blue being total banned. It wasn't overly random...it followed a pattern. Everybody just realized "hey, this is just a gay stage"
Big Blue was not random. And in a sense, it was an extremly gay stage. I guessed a missed a section that I thought I added. Which will explain stages like depths and big blue:

Complete unfairness to all characters. Meaning you could literally just fall off the stage and o the road and its instant death. Brinstar Depths had no ledges, and made it unfair to every character except Jigglypuff.

Laijin

Smash Hero
If you really want to see my opinio about which stages should be banned and why.. I will post. Otherwise, if no one cares. Then I wont. since it will be a waste of time
Who actually cares about my opinion?

Raistlin

Smash Lord
Now see, i WOULD take offense to this, however, seeing as you've yet to place anything besides BAD at a tournament, your opinion means nothing.

P.S. I've never called johns on any other character.

EDIT: Sorry bro sometimes i just cant contain the fro, just comes out at random times like that.
What the hell? Don't hate on Zoro, he's awesome. You don't get the right to talk trash to long-time Smashers just because you got second at a BRAWL tournament. You're pretty cool, dude, but just no. No hate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom