• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

4/19 Gigabits - The Melee exploded into a Brawl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laijin

Smash Hero
I love mario circuit.
Honestly, since this game is new. There obviously are no official stage bans. So in my personal opinion, this will work out best: the contestants of the tournament should be able to vote for which stages get banned. If 3/4ths of the tournament agrees to ban a stage, then the stage should banned.

Seriously. That will work out so well.

Since appearently no one saw my post and you guys can stop arguing over g-ay s-hit like stages in brawl, im going to make my font bigger and quote my last post.

Zoro

Smash Champion
NO **** you
I dont want to place on final only thats ********

I can deal with only neutrals but ....thats boring

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
Um, Norfair is terrible?

There's 4 times as many hazards on that stage as any other stage ever.
Why would anyone counter pick it except to be a **C** ** **H* ***in *J**er P**AS*** N* who can't fight for themselves?

Also, I agree that we should vote for bans, and I think we should vote when we sign up for the tournament at Gigs.

People shouldn't bother voting in this thread because everything disappears and gets lost, and no one will remember what anyone voted for, plus people might vote and then not show up.

Also MM Manko, since I've never met you.

Raistlin

Smash Lord
We need a counterpick vote thread, with a poll and stuff. We could just have it for Hanenbow and Norfair (and maybe Pirate Ship).

Proteus

Smash Apprentice
I vote CP for Norfair, ban for Hanenbow.

It's a shame, because I really like Hanenbow, but playing on it a lot with my roommates has shown me all the problems it can have with camping and quirky ledges.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Hey, I said I'm doing a vote that's closing on Sunday at midnight...I'm keeping good track of this. I have a wordpad tally and all that....so yeah, don't worry, all

Voting at Gigs is a bad idea, simply because of the time restraints...and we have boards, so what's the problem with talking about it here?

I saw your post earlier, Laijin, it's just not that good of an idea. sorry. You're doing nothing but interfering with an intelligent debate with your nonsense...this isn't an argument...

So keep voting, I'm tallying it. : )

I'm definitely not tallying Rohins votes. : P you live in WA, nub.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Ban hanenbow permanently and counterpick norfair.

As far as pirate ship goes, any tips on killing a swimming game staller? cause that can become awfully annoying.

Proteus

Smash Apprentice
I haven't been been killed by lava in Norfair the past, oh, 20 games or so I've played there. The only bad thing is the lava spray, but even that's not terrible.

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
The Lava's not even all that bad. Most of it doesn't kill, and I've actually used it to help my recovery before. I was DK, so I had very little vertical and I instead headed strait for the lava wall that was coming in on the side which knocked me back up to the stage.

Aside from that, I also love the V shape layout of the platforms which you can do a lot with. Having more ledges to choose from also varies your recovery options. Like Olimar not getting edge hogged as easy since he could go for a different one.

Gindler

Smash Champion
I wish I was but all I can do is yoshi bomb when someone swims for like 30 seconds "/

Guess I'll just keep them out of the water, I don't really want to debate the level cause it isn't that horrible.

Finch

Smash Lord
Yeah I don't really understand your problem with swimming people. Can't you just attack them and build up damage until they get out of the water? Yoshi's aerials are really good, so I don't understand the problem.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Yeah I have no problem racking up damage, but my "scrub" friend will just retreat to the water and the more damage they get the less they want to come out of the water. But I doubt anyone at the tourney will be that much of a jerk so I'm not too worried at all.

Gindler

Smash Champion
An iffy one, sweetspot and what not, not nearly as easy as a Dair spike. But I'm not expecting anyone to counterpick this level while playing me (except for maybe everyone on the smashboards now :p) so i'm not too worried. It's a solid 2 star (on the 4 star scale) so bareable, pretty much any level is good just it's getting complicated with the debating.

Besides, don't most smashers ask if the levels fine with the other player? Everyone I played at HK asked if the level was fine and I did the same, don't know if it was just that tourney or the people I played or what. I never abject cause it'd seem kinda jerky.

Proteus

Smash Apprentice
I always ask as a courtesy, especially if I pick a level like Pokefloats or something, but it doesn't really matter whether they object or not. Although I've never had that happen.

Laijin

Smash Hero
Hey, I said I'm doing a vote that's closing on Sunday at midnight...I'm keeping good track of this. I have a wordpad tally and all that....so yeah, don't worry, all

Voting at Gigs is a bad idea, simply because of the time restraints...and we have boards, so what's the problem with talking about it here?

I saw your post earlier, Laijin, it's just not that good of an idea. sorry. You're doing nothing but interfering with an intelligent debate with your nonsense...this isn't an argument...

So keep voting, I'm tallying it. : )

I'm definitely not tallying Rohins votes. : P you live in WA, nub.
I don't really get why it is a bad idea. Its a great idea. Why?
1. There are no major/official ban stage list out(Like MLG), so unless you go with the set from Final Round(Since thats the biggest brawl tournament that has happened yet) or something, then your forced to create one on your own.
2. Creating one on your own, not every one will completely agree to it. There are some people who don't even visit the boards but still attend tournaments, and since thats the case they obviously won't have any say in the stage ban list and counter pick list unless it is done at the tournament. And well...thats pretty unfair in my opinion. If I never visited these boards and I saw a stage that was on the ban list that I totally thought should be legal and knew that about ten different random dudes on Smash Boards "voted" on this list, i'd be pretty upset.
3. If #2 is not a good enough reason for you, it would clearly make more sense if the people who were participating in the tournament were able to actually vote on what they were playing. 3/4ths of the tournament is obviously majority, and I think that would lead to the most agreeble/most fair way to decide stage bands and counter picks.

If your concerned about time constraints, I really would not have a problem creating a quick program to tally up scores for stage bans in visual studio using C++ and let the computer display the results and let people fill it out as they enter the tournament. It really is not a problem and I really don't see it being unfair in any way.

OTRU...

Smash Champion
nah bro, we're trying to figure this out right now simply cuz we can, thats why we have forums

Most people that go to brawl tourneys and dont go on smashboards are probably new at the tourney scene, thats why it's better if we pick the stages now (since we are more familiarized with the current metagame).

Laijin

Smash Hero
nah bro, we're trying to figure this out right now simply cuz we can, thats why we have forums

Most people that go to brawl tourneys and dont go on smashboards are probably new at the tourney scene, thats why it's better if we pick the stages now (since we are more familiarized with the current metagame).
Yea. I can kinda agree with you there. But I don't agree on some of the choices that have been made as far as what is fair and what is not fair. And I really dislike arguing(or as I believe Fenrir called it "intellectual debating") mostly because im rather bad at getting my point across and what not.

Like for example, you guys pretty much agreed to ban any stage that has the ability to kill you.
You guys banned Mario Circuit and Skyworld, but your allowing distant planet and what? Luigi's Mansion as counter picks? Thats pretty stupid. Seriously.
I bet your main argument about Mario Circuit is that "OMG DDD CAN CHAINGRAB AND KILL ME THAR. OH NOEZ".
Yea. Well, his chain grab is certainly not an infinite guys. Most infinites in this game can only be done with a wall present. DDD's chain grab is pretty escapable.
You ban Skyworld but keep Luigi's mansion? You guys dont like skyworld because of the amount of ceilings and walls huh? Well..in case you did'nt notice, every character in the game has problems. So in the end, the stage becomes completely fair for everyone.

im really bad at arguing, but my point is not everyone will agree to the stage bans. And just because we have experience with Melee does not certainly give us instant all-knowing knowledge about Brawl that someone new to the game will not understand. Its a different game completely. The metagame from melee is decreasing even more since pretty much every move is escapble and mind games are completely different. Of course you guys should know this obviously.

So once again. My point is that not everyone will agree to your stage choices and it will honestly make it very fair to everyone if you gave them all a chance to vote for this stuff at the tournament.
Like honestly, it wont take up much time at all to take a vote. I can make up a program, enter the numbers into the program, and let the computer display what are neutrals, banned and counter picks.(According to 3/4ths majority).

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Call me selfish, but I really don't like the vote idea mainly because it allows first tourney nubs to have a say in a legitimate tournament. On the boards...the people who have actually been discussing this know quite a bit about the game...I mean, I really don't want to vote on whether WarioWare is on or off...we have time before this tournament to make the stage list, so several of us are doing so. We are debating which stages are banned...which are legal...it just makes sense.

I don't want a huge actual argument to break out at the tourney...which you KNOW will happen with a lot of the people who are newer...I'm sorry, but if we make a good list, then nobody will really have THAT much of a chance to complain...which is what I'm going for.

I just would rather have better players vote on this. the people who show up to this and don't have accounts here really don't deserve to vote, imo. We have accounts here because we strie to learn more about the game and actively find tournaments. I just value our opinions better than JoeGamer86

Raistlin

Smash Lord
Yea. I can kinda agree with you there. But I don't agree on some of the choices that have been made as far as what is fair and what is not fair. And I really dislike arguing(or as I believe Fenrir called it "intellectual debating") mostly because im rather bad at getting my point across and what not.

Like for example, you guys pretty much agreed to ban any stage that has the ability to kill you.
You guys banned Mario Circuit and Skyworld, but your allowing distant planet and what? Luigi's Mansion as counter picks? Thats pretty stupid. Seriously.
I bet your main argument about Mario Circuit is that "OMG DDD CAN CHAINGRAB AND KILL ME THAR. OH NOEZ".
Yea. Well, his chain grab is certainly not an infinite guys. Most infinites in this game can only be done with a wall present. DDD's chain grab is pretty escapable.
You ban Skyworld but keep Luigi's mansion? You guys dont like skyworld because of the amount of ceilings and walls huh? Well..in case you did'nt notice, every character in the game has problems. So in the end, the stage becomes completely fair for everyone.

im really bad at arguing, but my point is not everyone will agree to the stage bans. And just because we have experience with Melee does not certainly give us instant all-knowing knowledge about Brawl that someone new to the game will not understand. Its a different game completely. The metagame from melee is decreasing even more since pretty much every move is escapble and mind games are completely different. Of course you guys should know this obviously.

So once again. My point is that not everyone will agree to your stage choices and it will honestly make it very fair to everyone if you gave them all a chance to vote for this stuff at the tournament.
Like honestly, it wont take up much time at all to take a vote. I can make up a program, enter the numbers into the program, and let the computer display what are neutrals, banned and counter picks.(According to 3/4ths majority).
Mario Circuit has permanent walk-off edges. Stages with walk-off edges have always been banned, and for good reason. Luigi's Mansion is different form Skyworld because in Skyworld you can destroy the main platform, which can result in instant death if you so much as look at the control stick the wrong way. Luigi's Mansion has a permanent floor. And yes, Distant Planet can kill you, but only if actively try to make it happen yourself.

And I gotta agree with Fenrir in that Smashboards people are going to be more knowledgeable and somewhat more professional in what stages to pick. Random newbs could pick all sorts of random, gay stages because they are most likely going to be the majority.

lime_backwards

Smash Lord
Yeah, well Distant Planet also has a walk off edge. By the "Walk off edges" logic, it should also be banned.

Just thought I would add my two cents.

Mr H is MARIO

Smash Journeyman
Fine then lets just have a fight (with guns) to determine what stages. Everyone will represent a stage and the last 10 standing will be the stages you can choose from in the tourney.

I know im a genius.

Mwarhead

Smash Journeyman
These are the stages that I have picked for the tournament.

STAGES:

Neutrals:

Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise
Smashville

Counterpicks:

Port Town
Pokemon Stadium
Pokemon Stadium 2
Luigi's Mansion
Delfino Plaza
Castle Siege
Pirate Ship
Frigate Orpheon
Halberd
Green Hill Zone
Coneria
Jungle Japes
Green Greens
Bridge of Eldin
Rainbow Cruise
Shadow Moses Island

Banned:

Big Blue
Skyworld
Mushroomy Kingdom
Rumble Falls
New Pork City
Summit
75M
Mario Bros. Old
Flat Zone 2
Hanenbow
Hyrule Temple
WarioWare
Spear Pillar
Pictochat
Onett
Brinstar
Yoshi's Island Melee
Mario Circuit
Norfair
Distant Planet

Reminder guys we are going to need a lot of setups for this tournament. Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom