• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2012 Summer Olympics (In London)

ViperGold42

Smash Lord
Well I'm going to be the first to say. I'M FREAKING EXCITED FOR THE OLYMPICS! Is anyone else? Who do you think is going to take all the gold? Me? Well its obvious... USA USA USA! but good luck to ALL the countries!

Sizzle

I paint controllers
My family was remodeling and moving into a new house during the 1996 Summer Olympics which were held in Atlanta. We had all of our furniture in storage and our temporary living arrangements, so the only thing we had was a small black and white TV that we could watch the Olympics with. I remember my parents buying cheap tacos from Del Taco and we watched the US Women's Team win the team gold medal in gymnastics, and of course the Men's Basketball team destroy everyone. That is one of the fondest memories of my childhood, so maybe because of that I am always eager to watch the Olympic Games.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
So much hype.

For 2008, I woke up every morning early enough to catch the US women's soccer team play........and those games were 5am EST for the most part!
I'm gonna be cheering them on again. US women's team is amazing, and they're so much fun to watch!

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I'm not excited, all the tourists... ¬__¬

Not to mention London is hosting, yes my hometown. No I didn't buy tickets, the whole thing will be a disaster.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Yikes
Sounds like you should either enjoy the crowds or find a nice vacation outside London xD

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Nah it's okay I think the Olympic Village is in East London (ew), and I live in the North West.

My area is pretty suburban so uhh... yeah not gonna have too many issues, the main problem will be public transport and stuff I guess.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
That's good at least : o

You gonna mess with crazy tourists at all? That could be a sport in itself xD

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Nah, I have much better things to do.

I kinda wish I got a ticket for the diving though. Delicious Tom Daley in the house.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I'm excited about the Olympics I have fond memories about the 2008 one. I remember being at Costa Rica at the time and they were having a promotion over there where if you took them like 4 coke bottle caps they'd give you a free promotional Olympics cup sponsored by coke. Needless to say, I got all 4 cups they had. Sadly, one of my cups broke on the move back here from Costa Rica a month later, and then another one broke a couple of days ago when I was moving from house to house and it just broke in the box, leaving me with 2 left now :c

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
I'm excited for the summer Olympics. The track events are too exciting to watch. I wonder if Usain Bolt will wind up taking 1st when it is all said and done to once again be the World's Fastest Man. Bolt took 2nd at the trials in the 100 Meter and 200 Meter races. That has got to add fuel to the motivational fire for him.

There are a lot of events I don't know too much about, and would like to see. I think one of the things I want the most is for an uncommon sport to catch my eye as interesting and then start doing it on my own with friends or myself.

theeboredone

Smash Legend

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Man how did I miss this thread?

What was everyones opinion on the opening ceremony? Not you Teran I'm only interested in the foreigners.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Man how did I miss this thread?

What was everyones opinion on the opening ceremony? Not you Teran I'm only interested in the foreigners.
Lol but the foreigners would have been clueless for most of it.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Men's swimming relay
Oh man
Wasn't even a contest

Theyre monsters xD

And yaaaay c: US women's soccer got 1st in their pool
And hope solo did the worm.
Wooooo xD

:phone:

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
i'm not sure what to think of the opening ceremony. the fireworks were nice though. i live next to the olympic stadium but i still didn't get tickets. i'm fine with just people watching and using the new shiny amenities built for the tourists.

one of my friends is taking part in the equestrian sports. i'm meeting up with her in a couple of days so i guess that counts?

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
It's a shame the opening ceremony didn't show us subjugating everyone throughout history.

Guess we like to forget that.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Ugh, Josh got 16th and Glenn got 22nd. I wonder what happened? All the scores were a bit low.

But hey, at least Hakan rocked out in the final and climbed to 2nd. Even though he's swedish, I'm glad someone I know won.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Good, they deserved the DQ. Same as any match-fixing/in-tourney-sandbagging in smash.
Match fixing is a gambling endeavour, they manipulated the bracket (without necessarily breaking any rules) to ensure greater glory for their country with more medals.

I dunno, I think the DQ was unjustified, I think it's just very humorous that the Chinese are so good that they'd even attempt audacious stunts like this.

Chroma

Smash Apprentice
I wasn't sure why they were doing anything wrong, actually.

If anything, I treated it as a justification for the smash community's pools then randomized brackets, slightly adjusted for region stuffs model of running tournaments.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well you can go both ways on whether or not they deserve to be DQ'ed. On one hand, anyone attending these matches or watching them on the internet would be sorely disappointed to see players just "giving up."

But on the other, you are manipulating the bracket, given it is a Round Robin style to ensure you are in the best position to win.

Sizzle

I paint controllers
For the fans it sucks. There is no other way to say it. It is embarrassing for the sport. But, for the players though, I like their play to win attitude. They were playing within the confine of the rules as far as I'm aware. To the casters comparing it to using steroids...come on give me a break.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
More fixing and questionable things happening. The blatant boxing incident and the fencing incident make me cringe. At least the boxing one was corrected.

:phone:

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
My TV just happened to be on when the boxing incident happened. I didn't pay attention, but I heard an earful from the commentators. It sounds like what happened was a load of BS anyways. Glad it was corrected.

Top Bottom