• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2007 MLG Cities and Dates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
which means that those arent necessarely the same days for smash?

Vist

Smash Champion
i was hoping for a Philly or DC event, but there's 3 east coast regular events so i can't really complain. looking foward to seeing what mlg has planned for smash

Uno

Smash Journeyman
Anyone actually read the post?

"MLG has big plans for Smash in 2007. Over the last three years, Major League Gaming has helped the Smash community develop high standards of quality for major tournaments and pushed the game to new levels of competitive play. MLG will continue that tradition in 2007 with a new approach to competitive Smash that will take place outside of the Pro Circuit. Stay tuned in the coming weeks for details."

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
I'm sure it's going to be good, why would they drop smash, when smash has been getting bigger at each tournament, that makes no sense.

HugS

Smash Champion
Southern California (818) San fernando valley
I'm sure it's going to be good, why would they drop smash, when smash has been getting bigger at each tournament, that makes no sense.
Well, is it possible that they drop smash due to reasons outside of attendance problems (which smash events dont really have)? I think so.

And omg @ vist's sig. I've been staring at it for minutes. Those black people move incredibly fast, and dance exceptionally well.

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
It would be reeeeeally nice to hear from someone at MLG concerning this.

ASAP please.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Well, is it possible that they drop smash due to reasons outside of attendance problems (which smash events dont really have)? I think so.

And omg @ vist's sig. I've been staring at it for minutes. Those black people move incredibly fast, and dance exceptionally well.

Oh come on lets be honest here...

MLG probably wants to kick it off cause of the supposed microsoft lawsuit (the one that wants ssbm out of the line up cause they do not want to be affliated with them) and the same reason ssbm wasnt included in USA network is at work here. Do not sugarcoat that MLG wants $ and is willing to kick off the SSBM commmunity for games like H2 and Gears of War.

Sorry just my 2 cents.

KoreanDJ111

Smash Lord
I think the whole smash season should be several MLG Boston's each month. Then it'll be straight.

M3D

In the Game of Thrones, You Morph or You Die
BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
Oh come on lets be honest here...

MLG probably wants to kick it off cause of the supposed microsoft lawsuit (the one that wants ssbm out of the line up cause they do not want to be affliated with them) and the same reason ssbm wasnt included in USA network is at work here. Do not sugarcoat that MLG wants $ and is willing to kick off the SSBM commmunity for games like H2 and Gears of War.

Sorry just my 2 cents.

You are an idiot. There is no lawsuit from Microsoft. No one is trying to get Smash kicked off the tour. However you are right that MLG is a business and to continue to be in business we have to consider money issues (among other things) when planning our tour.

For those of you that could respond intelligently, here is what I can tell you so far. Smash is not currently scheduled to appear on the regular Pro Circuit this season. Do not buy plane tickets or book hotels. This is not because MLG is somehow dissatisfied with Smash or the community, but merely a business decision that considered a LOT of variables that I am not at liberty to discuss.

MLG actually still genuinely likes Smash and considers it one of the best grassroots gaming communities in the world. I never hear a negative word uttered from staffer or executive alike about SSBM or the players. Clap loves the Kishes. Anakin thinks PC Chris is sick. Sundance thinks KoreanDJ is amazing. This has nothing to do with you guys or the game. It is merely a business decision. Unfortuantely I can't argue with anyone here about it or give any reasons. I can only say that the decision was made and we all have to get past it and move on.

HOWEVER... Major League Gaming has no intentions of forgetting about SSBM or Smashers. We have talked about this decision a lot and we've come up with some methods of continuing to support SSBM and the vibrant community of Smashers that play the game. More details are coming, and unfortunately, again, I am not at liberty to give them to you now. All I can say is be patient and keep watching the MLG website for more info when its ready. While its not as big as the pro circuit, I think you guys will be pretty pleased with what we've been working on.

On a personal note, M3D has NOT forgotten about this community or the game that launched my career. I'm not involved in the league ops stuff anymore but I have continued to be an active advocate for the game and the community. I expect the Smash series to continue to have a strong grassroots tournament presence and hopefully someday it will take its place as one of the most loved professional gaming titles in the country. For the time being, I'm doing what I can and I would encourage you guys to be patient with the changes and continue to support smash on every and any level.

Watty

Smash Lord
rofl at M3D calling some1 an idiot man i miss ur posts.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
As long as Jason is still working at MLG, we know smash gets at least a mention, so it isn't like we're just being written off.

But I don't think Smash is completely gone yet.

"MLG has big plans for Smash in 2007. Over the last three years, Major League Gaming has helped the Smash community develop high standards of quality for major tournaments and pushed the game to new levels of competitive play. MLG will continue that tradition in 2007 with a new approach to competitive Smash that will take place outside of the Pro Circuit. Stay tuned in the coming weeks for details. "

Maybe it'll be a half-hearted attempt to keep us around until next year for Brawl, maybe it'll be a unique and amazing alternate tournament series hosted by trusted members of the smash community, maybe it'll just be one giant FC-esque event hosted by MLG, maybe it'll just be the best of the best... Who knows?

Well. If MLG isn't going to be doing something acceptable with Smash, who's with me for organizing a nation-wide tournament series for Smash with me?

SuperRad

Smash Master
So long MLG -_-

I'm just sad that I only will have gone to one. I can't say I'm all that suprised, basically we were just taking up valuable halo-space.

EDIT: That came off as more bitter and less sarcastic then I intended. I was just stating that MLG will either replace smash with a new game (GoW? R6?) or the space we occupied will become more Halo stations.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
You are an idiot. There is no lawsuit from Microsoft. No one is trying to get Smash kicked off the tour. However you are right that MLG is a business and to continue to be in business we have to consider money issues (among other things) when planning our tour.

For those of you that could respond intelligently, here is what I can tell you so far. Smash is not currently scheduled to appear on the regular Pro Circuit this season. Do not buy plane tickets or book hotels. This is not because MLG is somehow dissatisfied with Smash or the community, but merely a business decision that considered a LOT of variables that I am not at liberty to discuss.

MLG actually still genuinely likes Smash and considers it one of the best grassroots gaming communities in the world. I never hear a negative word uttered from staffer or executive alike about SSBM or the players. Clap loves the Kishes. Anakin thinks PC Chris is sick. Sundance thinks KoreanDJ is amazing. This has nothing to do with you guys or the game. It is merely a business decision. Unfortuantely I can't argue with anyone here about it or give any reasons. I can only say that the decision was made and we all have to get past it and move on.

HOWEVER... Major League Gaming has no intentions of forgetting about SSBM or Smashers. We have talked about this decision a lot and we've come up with some methods of continuing to support SSBM and the vibrant community of Smashers that play the game. More details are coming, and unfortunately, again, I am not at liberty to give them to you now. All I can say is be patient and keep watching the MLG website for more info when its ready. While its not as big as the pro circuit, I think you guys will be pretty pleased with what we've been working on.

On a personal note, M3D has NOT forgotten about this community or the game that launched my career. I'm not involved in the league ops stuff anymore but I have continued to be an active advocate for the game and the community. I expect the Smash series to continue to have a strong grassroots tournament presence and hopefully someday it will take its place as one of the most loved professional gaming titles in the country. For the time being, I'm doing what I can and I would encourage you guys to be patient with the changes and continue to support smash on every and any level.

excuse me? I have been nice but if we want to be serious ok.

First off I heard the lawsuit from several MLG pros like Silverson and others within the Halo community. Also, this comes from straight hard facts about the USA network deal and other similar coincidences. M3d If you want to talk to me about this I have aim. I apologize for my brashness but it bothers me that a league would treat smash badly with the Vods and other issues and not give it some respect ( at least in my eyes. I know others will disagree)

Anyways, this game SSBM and SSBB will always have a home in some leagues. Everyone should now support EGL since it has SSBM in its line-up. MLG put the game on the big circuit but now it should be noted that mainstream media will not be included in the benifits recieved from this league ( and by mainstream media I, of course mean televised and promotional sectors). It now seems to be a section where they will focus on MICROSOFT-based games. While this is sad it is, by no means, surpising.

Either way I agree with some that they may be waiting for brawl but I am really pessimistic about the situation.

M3D

BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
One more time, you are an idiot. Smash has never been treated badly by MLG. In case you don't know who I am, I started the SSBM portion of the MLG circuit. I ran the the tournaments for more than 2 years. I convinced them to give Smash some VoD love. I started SSBM commentary for broadcasted matches and that commentary won over thousands of Halo fans that used to complain about Smash even getting a little bit of time on VoD. Better than anyone else, I know exactly how Smashers have been treated all along because I've been here from the beginning and I've seen every major development. So trust me when I say, you are clueless.

FACT: 99% of Video on Demand subscribers are there for Halo.
FACT: Smash got more then 1% of air time during VoD broadcasts.

Therefore, Smash fans got MORE than they deserved out of VoD. We also managed to get a VoD intern whose only job was Smash. There were only 2 Halo VoD interns. That means that a game with a 1% viewership probably got 10% airtime and 33% of staff allocation. Smash was NEVER treated unfairly or badly for VoD. We got more than we should have ever hoped for.

First prize for most Halo 1v1/FFA competitions was $2000. That was the same prize for the 1v1 Smash competitions. Halo had over 1000 FFA entrants and the winner got $2000. Smash had less than 200 and the winner got $2000. So when Karma won a singles event he basically got $2 for each competitor that was vying for his throne. When Ken won, he got more than $10 per entering Smasher. Once again, Smash got MORE than it deserved if compared against Halo. So in prize money, Smash was never treated unfairly or not given respect.

Look at writing staff. There are 3 writers that attended all the events. AlphaZealot wrote entirely about Smash. Trunkers and I both wrote mostly for Halo but we also had quite a few articles between us that covered Smash. So for a company that probably has a 90%/10% Halo-to-Smash ratio... at the WORST, you can say our coverage was 33% Smash for a 10% audience. At best, with the articles that Trunkers and I wrote for Smash, it probably came close to like 40% coverage for a 10% audience. How is that Smash being treated without respect?

The fact of the matter is that Smashers are awesome and because they are awesome they always got more than they really deserved. If MLG was only about the $$$ then we wouldn't have allocated all those resources to such a tiny part of our audience. Instead, MLG invested extra resources and energy into providing something worthwhile for Smashers to enjoy at our events and through our website. MLG made a huge effort to bring Smash kids to the website and the events and unfortunately a lot of Smashers weren't going to be happy until they got equal treatment with Halo. I hope I don't have to explain to you why that is a ridiculous demand. Smash didn't have the numbers in terms of event attendees or website traffic to ever get close to deserving the same things that Halo got.

There was nothing unfair about the way Smash or the smash community was treated by MLG. An idiot is person who speaks and makes assumptions without knowledge and that is exactly what you are doing. Not only do you have no comprehension of what its like to run these events and promote the growth of professional gaming to mainstream audiences, but you make generalizations about respect when you clearly have no idea how awesome the deal that Smashers got with MLG really was. That makes you an idiot.

As for the lawsuit, once again, you speak without knowledge. Rumors do not count as information, especially when they are wrong. There is no lawsuit and there never was one.

Also, just because Smash won't be the on the pro tour doesn't mean that MLG will be forgetting about Smash or the community. MLG is more than the pro tour and over time you will see how we're going to continue to support not just SSBM and SSBB, but other gaming communities as well. Take a look at our free, web-base online tournament site, GameBattles.com for a preview of the sort of things we're already doing for grassroots gaming. So get off your high horse and stop pretending just because MLG has to make some tough business decisions that ALL we care about money. You are just too ignorant and uninformed to understand all the things MLG has been working on to promote all kinds of competitive gaming.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
M3D is right. We are getting a lot from MLG that we don't really deserve, and we're a very small portion of the professional gaming community. Smash may have a big tournament base, but we aren't supporting MLG in return for all they've given us.

Admittedly, there are a few problems: this is already the established website for talking about Smash, and MLG's doesn't really fit the specs necessary. We have different sections for videos, for character matchups, for general discussion, and on MLG there is but a single forum for Smash to be discussed.

If we want to have more coverage, we need to have more people and more support for MLG. That's really hard for a game as old as Smash, especially since we have such a developed meta-game. It's really hard for anybody who isn't a prodigous talent (KDJ, we're looking at you) to have any kind of success at all, and that's what a tournament is all about. It's pitting yourself against the best in hopes of proving yourself, and a lot of Smashers just aren't at that point. It also requires an incredible expenditure of resources and opportunity cost just to keep up with a community that keeps on improving. If you want to surpass the current best, you need a lot of skill and effort.

Halo has a much better method of dispersing skill throughout its community through online play. I see this one guy do something in one match, I bring it to a forum, I learn about advanced play. In Smash, it took a long time for the community as a whole to expand. There are still hordes of fragmented, tight-knit groups that play Smash but don't know about advanced play because when you can't play online (but you have your own little community), travel isn't a necessity.

I'm not really taking one side or another here (if there are even sides to take) but I'm trying to look at the situation as it stands right now. Maybe we'll just have to accept that Smash will only be on equal footing with Halo when Brawl comes out. More internet based information on the game is leading more people here, and the more people that know about advanced Melee, the more will be interested in learning about advanced Brawl. If more people are in on it from the beginning, then maybe the community will rapidly expand and we'll have a lot of MLG attendance come 2008.

Ehhhh I'm rambling now. My only real hope is that MLG has substantial opportunities for tournament play, because I don't want Melee's official tournaments to end with a whimper; I want them to end with a bang.

KishPrime

BRoomer
Even though Melee is off the pro circuit, I have a feeling that a game like Brawl would receive another go around. I don't know if there just isn't enough information about Brawl, or if Melee isn't mainstream enough, or if the community just wasn't hardcore enough.

It hurts...but it's still just a game. Sigh.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
@wobbles - well said cause that is my sentiments exactly...just wish I worded it as nice...

My whole issue is why change it now?...I honestly believe that this was done due to tv deals and such and maybe its being saved for Brawl. That in mind its probably best to just leave it be and wait.

Part of my exp comes from seeing how Tekken was treated....I saw how bad that was and really worried this announcement was just gonna be the same...mlg though has been a bit more nicer towards smash but I still feel things could of been done differently. I wanna see gaming treated the way E-Sportsea.com and CGI treat their circuits and leagues and less focused on how MLG was presented...again thats my opinion.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
@wobbles - well said cause that is my sentiments exactly...just wish I worded it as nice...

My whole issue is why change it now?...I honestly believe that this was done due to tv deals and such and maybe its being saved for Brawl. That in mind its probably best to just leave it be and wait.

Part of my exp comes from seeing how Tekken was treated....I saw how bad that was and really worried this announcement was just gonna be the same...mlg though has been a bit more nicer towards smash but I still feel things could of been done differently. I wanna see gaming treated the way E-Sportsea.com and CGI treat their circuits and leagues and less focused on how MLG was presented...again thats my opinion.
......how bad Tekken was treated?

A couple guys got late checks for winning tournamnets with insanely small turnouts, and another guy didn't get his check for a long time because he didn't have the right address. Tekken complained nonstop and some of their pro players said "don't go to their tournaments, MLG will give you the shaft" because they didn't leave with prize money in their hand.

Young Danny

Smash Journeyman
This is worth repeating

"So get off your high horse and stop pretending just because MLG has to make some tough business decisions that ALL we care about money. You are just too ignorant and uninformed to understand all the things MLG has been working on to promote all kinds of competitive gaming."

After poor attendance numbers in 2005, MLG stuck with smash. More than that, they hired a smash exclusive writer and smash vod exclusive intern, and allowed a very disproportionate time to smash on vod (in relation to vod members and tournament attendees) That's dedication.

I used to be heavily involved in the fighting games community; I went to MLG Houston (2005) and EVO (2005) for tekken. Even after the 3s, tekken, and other 2d communities lampooned MLG for perceived ill-treatment, MLG still allowed them to use their tvs and floor space. When an announcement was made about the MLG Vegas winners; the whole fighting games was booing during the entire announcement. No wonder MLG decided to not use the 2d/3d fighting games community. Do you blame them?

Whatever Clap, Jason, Chris, Omni, and Jv have in plan, I know it'll be great. Having gone to MLG smash tournaments for 2 years and having worked for them as a Halo 2 judge this past season, MLG always fights for what is best for the community's future. MLG shows loyalty to communities that are loyal to them, and I cannot wait to see what they have in store for smash in 2007.

M3D

BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
M3D! Still a douche! That guy may have been wrong, but he was harmless. I love how you rep MLG haha.

Seriously, who are you?

As for Tekken, and this is my last post on the matter, Tekken got way more than a fair deal at MLG and they screwed things up for themselves. Only a handful of players were attending events. In fact, so few people came to the events for Tekken that some smash kids that were bad and only there to hang out with friends entered Tekken instead and won a couple hundred dollars mashing buttons. Tekken was a waste of resources from the very first event we had it on the circuit.

Then, when a handful of their players couldn't understand that MLG wasn't going to give them cash at the end of the tournament and that they were going to have to wait for prize checks just like Halo and Smash players, they went to their community and said "Let's boycott MLG until they give us the prize checks at the tournaments" and even LESS people came. With no one coming to the tournaments MLG decided to cancel Tekken so we didn't waste anymore resources. And then, after the game was cancelled, their players came back to our website and demanded that MLG have the championship tournament and that we pay out the season points leader prize...

So how was Tekken treated unfairly? They were getting an even BETTER deal than Smash was on the tour and then they complained and boycotted until we were forced to cancel the game. And then once the game was canceled their community demanded more money out of us. That's ridiculous. Tekken wasn't treated poorly and anyone who thinks so is delusional. They screwed up their chances of winning some money and getting some love on their own by acting like idiots.

So once again, you have NO idea what you are talking about. Tekken was not treated poorly. Smash got all the respect in the world. No one is getting shafted. And Smash getting dropped has to do with a variety of issues, none of which have to do with MLG only caring about money or television contracts. If that was all we cared about, we wouldn't be making plans to continue to invest resources in the Smash community this year even though the game is off the circuit.

My suggestion: instead of being reactionary and coming up with new and more absurd reasons to hate on MLG, be patient and wait for the rest of the information that MLG has in store for you. It's not pro circuit big, but what we're working on is a big deal. Don't turn into Tekken kids and burn bridges before you know what's coming over them.

KishPrime

BRoomer
I don't think there's any reason to judge the smash community based on a few reactions. No one is burning bridges. Patience, patience.

AS Money

Smash Lord
i love over hyped games like halo snuffing out good ones like smash but MLG is a buissness and is really looking for a profit and a few angry smashers on the boards wont change much. all i have to say is respect their disision and smash existed before MLG took it on and will exist after just as strong. and its like M3D said they aren't throwing it away
Patience, patience.
is the best way i can look at it

lol MLG should put diddy kong raceing DS on the pro circut i may stand a chance after a while

The_Doug

Smash Ace
Keep fighting the good fight for smash Jason. Most of us really do appreciate your staff's efforts. Obviously there is just some discontent and fear for the smash community because of the lack of information currently presented to us.

I don't think Brawl being online will be the key, although it will play a part in finding new talents. I do think if in the near future MLG can project Brawl and Melee on a national network like USA, even on a small scale, and have commentary much like Halo 2 does with examples of tactics and basic/advanced techniques, then potentially thousands more players can be introduced to the game, and community, and thus create much more business for the company.

Helios

BRoomer
BRoomer
From what I understand, Smash was getting a bit of love from MLG, sure.
But I recall seeing bigger and bigger turnouts for smash at MLG during 06, which IMO is an amazing feat seeing as how the game is over 5 yers old now, and I believe numbers would have kept on increasing throughout 07.

It's a shame they're doing this, really.

Trunkers

Smash Rookie
It'll be sad to see smash go. Although I'm primarily known as a Halo writer, it was Smash that first brought be to an MLG event. In fact, I volunteered to judge my first event for the sole purpose of being able to participate in Smash free play.

I simply want to convey that many of the staff members were great fans of Smash as a competitive title. Even those with minimal knowledge of the game could not help but get caught up in the excitement of Championship matches on the main stage. Smash players were always great supporters of their game, and truly brought a level of excitement into the venue. Watching the east/west coast rivalries unfold throughout the season was truly a spectacle. I even had the pleasure of jumping into the commentary booth on a couple occassions.

M3D: You better still bring a cube (or Wii) for free play in 2007. My Doc is rusty.

RastaImposta

Smash Lord
I want to take Jasons word for it, that better things are coming, but seeing only halo and the show and now completely dropping from the pro circuit... Well Jason, you gotta see it through our eyes. Smash is a great game, and seeing it dropped for GoW, its just probably one of the worst things that can happen for the smash community.

Ill take your word for it Jason, even though Im being very pessimistic right now.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
It'll be sad to see smash go. Although I'm primarily known as a Halo writer, it was Smash that first brought be to an MLG event. In fact, I volunteered to judge my first event for the sole purpose of being able to participate in Smash free play.

I simply want to convey that many of the staff members were great fans of Smash as a competitive title. Even those with minimal knowledge of the game could not help but get caught up in the excitement of Championship matches on the main stage. Smash players were always great supporters of their game, and truly brought a level of excitement into the venue. Watching the east/west coast rivalries unfold throughout the season was truly a spectacle. I even had the pleasure of jumping into the commentary booth on a couple occassions.

M3D: You better still bring a cube (or Wii) for free play in 2007. My Doc is rusty.
For those of you who do not know who this man is, just know that he is great.

Drephen

Smash Master
i love MLG and i totally respect every decision they make

i just wanna know, why is smash that bad for business?
I mean we only take up like 8-12 tv's outta the 200 they had, usually jammed in the corner, and dont really bother halo

i mean i think smash will bring in much more money than another 8-12 tv's of halo. I just dont understand how smash is such a harm to business?

I mean we dont need extra staff members, ridiculous prize money, hell we could bring our own setups easily.

VOD is a luxury, we dont really need it, we could really do without it.

i just want someone to explain to me why smash is so bad for business?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom