• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2007 MLG Cities and Dates

Status
Not open for further replies.

g-regulate

Smash Hero
everyone just come to md/va tournies, theres literally one almost every week, with 30-50 people on average!! place top 3 at a couple of those for 1-2 months, and youve got an MLG paycheck. theres also more TV's and a less serious atmosphere.

aho43

Smash Lord
I was really looking forward to the new MLG season, and being a pro, etc. Oh well. I'm dissapointed to say the least.

Butters 000

Smash Journeyman
Can someone go get BACH and make him upload Vegas? I'm not entirely sure who to blame, but I think that waiting months for the finals is a little unfair.

Yokoson

Smash Journeyman
It sounds to me that MLG will be setting a sort of "Minor League". A kind of nurturing ground for tourney game communities that are not quite large enough to make the appropriate amount of money. If(when) these Minor League games become big enough MLG simply upgrades the game to "Pro" status.

In the mean time they'll be cycling game through the Pro Circiut to accompay Halo. If it sticks, it sticks. If it doesn't yield certian results they'll cycle back to the "Minor League". Smash had its cycle and MLG found that Smash (despite its growing numbers) didn't have a great enough yield.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Some of the reasons will become obvious within the next few months, MLG is not releasing all the information at a single time.

Can someone go get BACH and make him upload Vegas? I'm not entirely sure who to blame, but I think that waiting months for the finals is a little unfair.
Bach had control of everything, I believe a week or two ago though he was asked to send the content that he had back to MLG offices so they could work on it themselves. Not sure if Bach has sent anything back yet though...

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I think everyone just needs to realize we don't NEED MLG like Halo does. We're a fairly independent group. MLG is just a really cool addition to what has been a really cool gaming group for years.

Even though MLG is giving us information about as clear as "The secret is on the eastmost penninsula", we can't do much except be patient.

I can already tell you it won't be what we want, just because we all want it to be on the pro circuit, but it will be better than nothing. From what I know about MLG, it'll be way better than nothing, and way better than most of us would even attempt.

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
i just want someone to explain to me why smash is so bad for business?
I'ma tell you right now entry fees don't make up for prizes. If Halo attracts all the attention on its own, why pay out for Smash?

We'll see what's coming.

The Blackstar

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if there just isn't enough information about Brawl, or if Melee isn't mainstream enough, or if the community just wasn't hardcore enough.

It hurts...but it's still just a game. Sigh.
I don't think it was nearly as mainstream as Halo. For a long time the Gamecube suffered from everyone thinking it's "just a kiddie" system because it didn't have a lot of M rated games out.

Gamecube's popularity, on average, couldn't really rival PS2 or Xbox, especially not with the extensive Xbox Live service meaning you can basically get on your sticks at any time, day or night, and have competition that you can learn from.

Drephen, I don't think it's that Smash wasn't profitable, it just may not have been AS profitable as some of the other options.

Hopefully this will all change with Brawl online and everybody in America wanting a Wii. Hopefully.

Overswarm, Smash doesn't NEED MLG, but you're out of your mind if you think it doesn't benefit incredibly from being on the circuit. No smash tourney ever run, not even FC (sorry Kish) can rival the sheer amount of resources that MLG has. They're on tv now for god sakes. Not to mention you can't underestimate the drawing power of seeing guaranteed prize money when they advertise the tourney.

RastaImposta

Smash Lord
For real, it was ridiculous how small the smash group was. At MLG Dallas last year there was like 20 TVs, 4 were for pro practice, the rest were for pools. All this is literally at the END of the room, we couldnt practice, and to be honest it didnt seem like the people running the smash tourny knew what they were doing. Every 30 minutes the would say "30 minutes till singles", then 4 hours later we finally got to play. I wish I woulda known that MLG was ran that way, I wouldve taken a nap on the wall like the countless others there.
I also thought it was funny how the cameras seemed to just avoid the smash areas, let alone the smashers all together.

Im not saying I wasnt grateful to be there, I was, I met tons of pro smashers and found out Isai is the nicest smasher, and he basically rules at life. Isai > Everybody, even in the singles braket at OC2.

I just hate the fact that smash is being dropped for Gears Of War...Seriously, come on. Its not like we were Tekken or SC2.

We need to start our own tournys that have more than mediocre prize money that most do. Hopefully OHSNAP3 will have alteast a $1500 1st place prize.

MLG, you give very little hope for us smashers, hopefully you dont disappoint us more than you already have.

Im an ***-hole, I know.

The Blackstar

Smash Journeyman
We need to start our own tournys that have more than mediocre prize money that most do. Hopefully OHSNAP3 will have alteast a $1500 1st place prize.
What? This is WAY easier said than done. It's exactly what I was talking about in my of my last post. Who has the capital to front and guarantee thousands in prize money at regular tournaments? Not to mention secure all of these places months and months in advance.

Tourneys now don't have that because it's hard to say "Come to this rinky dink joint, bring your own tv and cube, and pay 50 bucks a bracket so we can have a 2 grand 1st prize."

kidprecision

Smash Apprentice
Gears of War is already more popular than smash. Why not give those players a chance at something smash has already had? Im really hyped up for what MLG has in store. I wish i wouldve went to one....

chillindude829

Smash Master
Seriously, who are you?
You know M3D, I think at this point Fonz may be more well-known in the smash community than you are. You did a lot for the community but you need to stop coming on here with an elitist attitude talking to respected smashers. Talking to noobs that way is fine, but Fonz is a prominent MD/VA smasher and you're basically a Halo guy at this point. Quit being a douche.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
X_x

Ouch man, this thread's gonna get nasty...

I'll miss MLG Pro Circuit Smash (spectating in Vegas was the best and trowing Ken in the air in Anaheim is pretty cool too), but everyone's telling me something really exciting is gonna happen for Smash anyway, just because it isn't in the Pro Circuit lineup doesn't mean it's going to be a bad year for smash.

MLG should like... fund Smash in Australia... :)

Drephen

Smash Master
if its lower prize money im all for lowering it

$500 for 1st place dont think is a horrible prize

may not attract as many smashers for across the country, but i still think its still worth having MLG's

TheCatPhysician

Smash Ace
Meh, maybe whatever they're doing will actually be better for Melee for now. I wouldn't know because I haven't been to an MLG tourney yet, but people say Smash is kind of tucked away in the corner because of Halo taking up most of the tournament space/attention. If they're going to do Melee tournaments separately, or along with less popular games where Melee will be like the Halo of the tournaments, then it will be a lot more convenient and fun for Smashers.

Probably not going to be the same prize money though. I dunno. I just personally hate seeing Melee moved to make room for Gears of War. That's just disgusting. I hope I don't get called an idiot for saying that.

jv3x3

Smash Champion
Obviously (and I mean this almost goes without saying) MLG impacts the smash scene. The community has embraced MLG and MLG has done a lot for smash. While not perfect, it has been win win. Its been cool to see people coming up to pros at events for autographs, to have travel stipends for the top 8 and have a sick 8 man bracket like we did in Vegas (some of the best smash ive ever seen), and a lot of other great things that have came with MLG. MLG isnt done with smash, there are still things in works. But at the sametime its not going to be like last year.

That said can we close this thread (or at least chill everyone). Nothing is coming of it. And when there is just rumors, speculation, and incomplete information nothing is going to come of it. Im working on a post that will try to explain things a little more and ill post it within a day or so. Also, mlgpro.com will have more details as they become available (some things are still being worked out). So for now just sit tight everyone.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
I would seriously like to encourage everybody to be a little more civil. No more calling each other douches if we can help it?

And I'd also like to echo Kish's urge of "patience, patience." We don't know what's coming. Let's not go criticizing MLG for changing things when we don't know whether or not it will be for the better.

AlphaZealot is urging us to wait for more news, because he says it's going to be good for Smash. M3D says we're going to be getting good news. MLG has treated us very well thus far. We aren't getting the same airtime or coverage as Halo, but they have something like 10x the turnout and popularity of us. The numbers are disproportionate in _OUR_ favor. Let's not get mad because things are changing; hold out hope that the change will improve our tournament scene.

What if MLG is announcing smaller, more frequent events in more diverse locations across the country? What if it's going to be promising bigger brackets based on a national point system that gives more hope to unknowns at making it into big tourneys even without earth-shattering performances?

Give MLG some time to clarify before you rip on them. They do a lot for us, so give them the benefit of the doubt.

JesusFreak

Smash Hero
Wobbles, Kish, and JV have my love. <3 Chillin, you're being just as much of a douche as M3D is, but I think M3D at least has a right to say the things he's saying (even if they are a bit harsh at times) because he actually works for MLG, and he's one of the main reasons Smash even became a part of MLG at all.

With that said, I just want to echo the sentiments put forward by JV, KishPrime, and Wobbles. These people should be listened to.

chillindude829

Smash Master
Uh, no?

If you had any idea why Fonz originally insulted M3D, maybe you'd be at liberty to discuss the way I'm acting. However, I'm betting you don't. As such, keep your mouth shut.

Nurok

Smash Lord
I agree with Gregulate. and Chillindude(even though i don't know why, MD/VA pride!)
everyone should just come to MD/VA tournies. our smashfests have a number of over 40 people everytime. Its crazy.Our last tourney had 92 people! too nice(MD/VA)
But then again, MLG could actually help these tournies out. Like by giving thes places the money to give to the winner of these tournies.
no one will ever know till they release the information

xTOXNx

Smash Apprentice
Ive been following MLG since they first started and I have faith in them, for what they'll further do to grow the smash community.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Chillin, I was defending M3D's perspective, not his name calling. That's why I asked that "everybody" be more civil. That applies to him as well and not calling people idiots, and to Fonz not calling him a douche (the most recent example of namecalling which is why I brought it up), and to you not being rude to people trying to keep this thread civil.

RastaImposta

Smash Lord
What? This is WAY easier said than done. It's exactly what I was talking about in my of my last post. Who has the capital to front and guarantee thousands in prize money at regular tournaments? Not to mention secure all of these places months and months in advance.

Tourneys now don't have that because it's hard to say "Come to this rinky dink joint, bring your own tv and cube, and pay 50 bucks a bracket so we can have a 2 grand 1st prize."
The odds are actually surprisingly well. So far is basically set at $1500, I just havent made a thread about it because we dont have everything figured out yet. Best Buy has already offered us a deal on 20 TVs, they may be sponsering them, we have to see how things turn out. We also wanted to rent out the ball room in the Marriot here in Oklahoma.

Right now our biggest problem is food and places for smashers to stay that dont want to stay in a hotel. We want food at the tourny, but we dont want to make it $3 for some pop, and I dont think there are too many fast food resteraunts around the Marriot. Some of the parents here arent too trusting, so finding a place for them to stay might be hard.

Im hoping I can have a thread up with specific details around the end of Febuary.

MrMLGAdam

MLG EVP

On a personal note, M3D has NOT forgotten about this community or the game that launched my career. I'm not involved in the league ops stuff anymore but I have continued to be an active advocate for the game and the community. I expect the Smash series to continue to have a strong grassroots tournament presence and hopefully someday it will take its place as one of the most loved professional gaming titles in the country. For the time being, I'm doing what I can and I would encourage you guys to be patient with the changes and continue to support smash on every and any level.

MLG League Ops does not shun SSBM. All of MLG is very supportive of Smash. No one employee is fighting for SSBM against naysayers within the company. As it was a tough decision when we dropped Halo1, a 4 year old game at the time, so is it with SSBM. ALL of MLG wants to make sure that SSBM is treated fairly regardless of what direction our relationship heads.

chillindude829

Smash Master
Acting like what? I like M3D, but I don't like the way he's treating people. I really have no reason to be respectful to JesusFreak, who posted without any clue what he's talking about.

Seriously M3D I have no problem with you, just the way you act sometimes. If someone acts like an idiot, they don't deserve respect (ie noobs), but there's no need to be overly disrespectful to someone who hasn't done anything wrong.

MrMLGAdam

MLG EVP
Acting like what? I like M3D, but I don't like the way he's treating people. I really have no reason to be respectful to JesusFreak, who posted without any clue what he's talking about.

Seriously M3D I have no problem with you, just the way you act sometimes. If someone acts like an idiot, they don't deserve respect (ie noobs), but there's no need to be overly disrespectful to someone who hasn't done anything wrong.
I agree with you to an extent. However, Jason's passion for this is coming across as 'agressive'. He is not name calling. What would you do if someone randomly called you a 'douche', or any other derogative term. Add in the fact that said poster had not posted anything relative to the conversation at hand, had not even participated in the conversation up until that point, and was relatively unknown to the person he was denouncing. Tell me Chillen, what would you do? I believe Jason acted very civilly for someone that just insulted him, unprovoked, on a public forum. Maybe you should use your energy to teach your local 'friend' some manners instead of tearing into Jason for no reason.

D

Deleted member

I was thinking Pokemon Red/Blue, but you're clearly onto something there.

Wife

Smash Lord
You know, whoever said the thing about us being lucky that we're so independent is right. I mean, I loved the pro circuit. I mean really, really, loved my pro circuit. I loved my fancy hotels, I loved my big checks, and I loved my only having to play on day 2 -- any member of TA can tell you how much Team Ben enjoys being elitist (wink wink TA).

However, it's not like smash is dead -- there's smash to be had everywhere. I've gone to a tourny 3 weekends in a row in md/va -- and the third had 92 entrants and paid to 5 -- not bad at all. Everyone just needs to step it up and throw tournies like crazy. Caty 2 is gonna break 130 people and pound 2 is gonna break at least 150. And I don't recall any MLGs having team teams . . .

Aero

Smash Journeyman
I was thinking Pokemon Red/Blue, but you're clearly onto something there.
wow, that would be awesome.

i really wish there were more pokemon events; it sucks if you ever want to play competitively you have to do it online

chillindude829

Smash Master
Clap I see what you're saying, but the only reason Fonz said that is because of the way M3D has treated him in the past. At the MLG season opener in 2006, M3D essentially insulted Fonz for no reason. That's why Fonz said what he said, not randomly. Although Fonz's post wasn't the mature way out either, I think it was justified because of what M3D did at the opener.

Regardless, I apologize M3D for making childish insults. However I think you owe Fonz an apology too.

JesusFreak, you get no apology. **** you. :)

edit:
I loved my big checks
Yeah you got so many of those didn't you? Wait...

Tope

BRoomer
BRoomer
I enjoyed traveling for MLG and smash.

I also enjoyed taking a trip to the south and west coast for MLG and getting to meet so many exciting people.

Sucks that I'm so terrible I could never make it out of pools, but I still had the time of my life.

Sucks that smash got dropped from the pro circuit, but I'm excited about whatever it is you guys are planning.

Chillin, I can see where you're coming from, but posting like that doesn't really benefit anyone.

Wife

Smash Lord
Haha, teams teams was my idea!!!! I was the first one who thought of that so i dont wanna hear it!!!!
Umm in actuality Joe I was that person. Go look in the pound 2 OR caty 3 threads. They both say "team teams -- thanks for the idea Wife" or w/e.

**** joe does that mean we wont see you anymore if we arent on the pro circuit together???

jv3x3

Smash Champion
Umm in actuality Joe I was that person. Go look in the pound 2 OR caty 3 threads. They both say "team teams -- thanks for the idea Wife" or w/e.

**** joe does that mean we wont see you anymore if we arent on the pro circuit together???
But if you look in the backroom like a year and half ago i posted about it being a good idea for tournament. Something that hadnt been done, and would have a ton of strategy behind it. ;)

Anyway, I will still be around. No matter what, I would be. But as it stands i will i will still be involved with smash on MLGs behalf. Pound 2, I should be there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom