• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2.B.A. MASTER: The New PT Video Thread

Rizen

Smash Legend

Timothy2035

Smash Journeyman
Squirtle has a great grab!
I need to play people who are closer to my level; this guy owned me.
RizenPT vs fidel6969(Wario) wifi 5-20-11
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnLuXkWwZkk
I'm feeling more comfortable with all 3 pokemon:).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kMIaP0CfPQ RizenPT vs KooHM(Fox) wifi 5-26-11
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9bXo0sK4Dk

RizenPT vs KooHM(Ike) wifi 5-26-11
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vBdo7iuVSs

RizenPT vs KooHM(C Falcon) wifi 5-26-11
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP2FN8uOG4c

My Squirtle has trouble KOing, most noticeably on the Ike match:c. If you have a minute will you critique that one please?
Hi there! I just wanted to comment on your videos. Well looking at your playstyle, I think you "wait" and see too much. Meaning that you are standing in a spot for a bit of time waiting to see just what happens next. Fast characters like Fox and even quirky characters like Wario can capitalize on this. They have various moves that can take them over your moves depending on the distance. Another thing is to not rely on smashes too much as a defensive weapon. You did that with Charizard a bit and Squirtle. The Ike player you faced didn't do the counter offensive block move that both Ike and Marth players can use as an added defensive bonus. That attack blocks and counter strikes you. In a similar defensive context, Peach has the mushroom counter defense. Those moves you have to watch out for in those three players, but Ikes and Marth players tend to love that. The player you faced however didn't seem to use that. You also played Ike like you didn't respect his authority on the stage. (joke term) Ike is too powerful. He can kill at lower percents with that sword, and has deceptive range with some tilts. The anther or aether or whatever the up b is called can be an offensive weapon also on the stage. You get caught in that, you can't get out of it. You must space Ike and keep that objective in mind. I am just saying as I have played some very aggressive Ikes online. I normally like to let my Ivy deal with Ikes.

On Wario, that is one match-up in my opinion that you must try to defeat that player quickly. A long drawn out match against Wario can result in a loss. Wario's size and some strange to the eye hit boxes can make for some quick damage on your characters. Not to mention a surprising "passed gas" attack can kill you when you didn't see it coming.

With Ivy, don't use the AAAAA jab too often in fighting Fox. That will get you punished unless you catch them up against a wall or something boxed in. You must keep moving when facing characters like Fox, Wolf and Sonic. Use the down A tilt to force Fox away from Ivy and you can mix it up with tackle to get them frustrated to try and mess up so you can make a kill on the stock. Bulletseed sparingly and only if they are falling into it from above. Less of a chance for them to directional influence out of it.

Hope that helps and keep at it! :)

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Soooooooooo I'm gonna ask again:

Is anyone willing to take this thread over? With work now, I definitely won't get around to updating this.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Last time you asked Zigsta I was more than happy to take this over so please man if your still looking for an answer I said yes ages ago LOL

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Last time you asked Zigsta I was more than happy to take this over so please man if your still looking for an answer I said yes ages ago LOL
Alrighty, I'll transfer control of the OP to you sometime this weekend. I'll let you know when it's done.

:phone:

Phiddlesticks

Smash Lord
Videos of my Ivysaur (and only Ivysaur; apparently I have that hack on my wii) from a smashfest last night hehehehe

Phiddlesticks (Ivysaur) vs sauc3 (Snake)
http://www.justin.tv/phiddlesticks/b/289256042
Phiddlesticks (Ivysaur) vs sauc3 (Kirby)
http://www.justin.tv/phiddlesticks/b/289256235
Phiddlesticks (Ivysaur) vs MeekSpeedy (Lucas)
http://www.justin.tv/phiddlesticks/b/289256562
Phiddlesticks (Ivysaur) vs Iliad (Falcon) 1
http://www.justin.tv/phiddlesticks/b/289256684
Phiddlesticks (Ivysaur) vs Iliad (Falcon) 2
http://www.justin.tv/phiddlesticks/b/289256758
Phiddlesticks (Ivysaur) vs Iliad (Falcon) 3
http://www.justin.tv/phiddlesticks/b/289256835
Phiddlesticks (Ivysaur) vs MeekSpeedy (Sonic) 1
http://www.justin.tv/phiddlesticks/b/289257847
Phiddlesticks (Ivysaur) vs MeekSpeedy (Sonic) 2
http://www.justin.tv/phiddlesticks/b/289258008

We were all just goofing around and stuff during the matches so I'm not expecting any HARDCORE INDEPTH CRITIQUES or anything, I just wanted to post them. Also I have no idea how I would get these to youtube but justin.tv seems to work fine

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
That hack is great imo for specifically working on the weakest link in your team. It got my Squirtle up to the level of my Ivy and Charizard.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Thanks for the advice. I'm getting better.
RizenPT vs DaVe(Kirby) wifi 7-3-11
[FONT=&quot]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2Jy9fTUkag[/FONT]
STOP UP-SMASHING WITH SQUIRTLE. You didn't accomplish anything with it, and it's not just you--It's just too slow to be useful with anything but a hard read.

Get used to using jab, F-Tilt, and grab to deal your damage as Squirtle. It's not as much at first, but being quick and safe options, it'll add up quickly, and you won't take an F-Smash to the face every time they miss. Outside of the (very) occasional Ivysaur F-Smash, there's pretty much no reason to use a Smash Attack when your opponent is at KO percents, as there are always better options otherwise.

Shellshift B-Air is safe. Keep it in mind.

Unless you're trying to catch someone off-guard with the multi-hit property of Squirtle D-Air, stick with B-Air and N-Air for aerials when you're about to touch the ground. F-Air has less range than B-Air (making it less safe), and both D-Air and U-Air have a lot of landing lag.

Ivysaur N-Air should be your best friend, both when approaching and out-of-shield to defend yourself. If you're doing it upon landing, try to land behind them so that they can't just shieldgrab you.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Hey guys, HYPE!!!! about all the new vids and my apologies for not getting the OP all updated, but I have a few questions I gotta ask Zig on updating it. Outside of that I should have it updated by tonight.

Oh, yeah. I forgot about that. Charizard U-Smash is great.

In my head, it's more like his "real" Dash Attack. :p Start using Charizard's DACUS!
LOL Luis are you serious with his DACUS I always thought it was terrible, I love U-smash and Im not saying that U-smash is bad just his DACUS.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Hey guys, HYPE!!!! about all the new vids and my apologies for not getting the OP all updated, but I have a few questions I gotta ask Zig on updating it. Outside of that I should have it updated by tonight.

LOL Luis are you serious with his DACUS I always thought it was terrible, I love U-smash and Im not saying that U-smash is bad just his DACUS.
Depends on character and positioning, of course, but, have you ever seen lighter characters fly behind you on the first hit of a running U-Smash? Doing a DACUS fixes that, since you don't slide past them. It's definitely useful on characters like Falco and Meta Knight at higher percents.

Scatz

Smash Champion
His DACUS works just like Yoshis (completely stops them in place). I believe it helps land the 2nd hit when they pop out from a normal running Usmash. Plus, it's a great way to bait grabs and spotdodges.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Yea very true it's a safer way to not throw yourself at the opp to so if you wiff your potentially spaced a bit away too.

Now is it true that Zard's U-smash hitbox hits from the ground up, because I thought I saw this in the frame data thread. I'm at work tho and I can only have so many windows up on my PC or people walking by stare like the whack people they are.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Yea very true it's a safer way to not throw yourself at the opp to so if you wiff your potentially spaced a bit away too.

Now is it true that Zard's U-smash hitbox hits from the ground up, because I thought I saw this in the frame data thread. I'm at work tho and I can only have so many windows up on my PC or people walking by stare like the whack people they are.
Looks like it--

Geenareeno

Smash Lord
Arizen, man. You gotta start playing offline. You seem to have a really decent grasp on the character but I can't even critique this other than to say don't use f-smash that much, and bair more (I only watched Charizard).

T-block

B2B TST
@Aposl: Learn Ivysaur dammit. She's way better than Charizard against Samus =P Biggest thing I have to say is to take advantage of Smashville's platform when recovering. If it happens to be on your side while you're recovering, great - keep it in mind as a recovery path. If you're being pressured while on the ledge, stalling until the platform reaches your side makes getting back on stage much easier. This is especially important for Squirtle and Charizard, who suffer from RCO lag, and RCO lag makes it much easier for Samus to land a kill move, when she generally has a lot of trouble doing so. What's with those Squirtle d-throws at the end? Even with bad DI I doubt Samus would have died at 80%.

@Arizen: Charizard is throwing out too many attacks without thinking. That's why you're hitting so many grenades, and taking more damage than you should from them. Using f-smash like that is not a good idea... it's hope-based desperation, and it's just going to hurt you against decent players. I'm not sure why you chose to start Charizard... Charizard cannot approach Snake at all - he does all right when camping him out, but if you're looking to apply pressure you should probably start Squirtle. When you do approach as Charizard, though, you should be looking for grabs more than anything else. Use that dash speed and grab range to your advantage. Your Squirtle also needs to grab more (but not spamming standing grab like you did at the end of Squirtle's stock lol). When you do land grabs, you pretty much always want to throw Snake up and look to juggle him to tack on damage. Learn your out-of-shield options... there were a few situations where OoS n-air or OoS b-air would have been a good move to use. F-smash and d-smash are not good OoS options =P Stop throwing out smashes haphazardly with Squirtle as well. And with Ivysaur. If you want to hit a higher level of play, you need to move beyond the mentality where you hope your opponent runs into your moves. Good opponents are simply not going to, and they're going to punish you for trying that stuff. Learn what's safe in what situations - that's more what this game is about.

T-block

B2B TST
Nice Ivysaur vs. Kirby... you play the way I would in that matchup. Be a little less Bullet Seed happy... the reward isn't as great against Kirby, and an f-smash can put you in a pretty bad position off stage. D-air is not safe on hit at low percents as you discovered. Be careful about the spacing of b-air, since it can get you grabbed. I think your Charizard could use more Flamethrower :)

Is it the Vanish KO that was weird? Sheik hit you with Vanish, caught you with the windbox when she appeared, and then you were stuck in hitstun... looks normal to me. If you're going to play Charizard against Sheik, you need to stay safer imo... Sheik has an insane punish game.

Should have done a ledgedrop f-air at 1:15 of the Pit vid =) What you did at the end of Squirtle's stock is called a Squirtleslide... by doing an aerial into a slope at a certain trajectory, Squirtle does a slide. It can actually go quite far.. up to half the stage IIRC.

First time I've seen your PT... I like it =)

Scatz

Smash Champion
Thanks. I've been working lately on my Ivy to make her more dependent on a few matchups. I've been experimenting with Bullet Seed since I noticed that B-reversing it causes the opponents attempt to DI out of it early useless.

All that was hitstun?! Jeez...I felt like I was back in melee when that happened :( At least I know what to expect next time. How would you normally play vs Shiek? All the matches I've been doing are just on the fly since I've never been playing PT as seriously as my Yoshi.

Is there a video/thread explaining Squirtleslide? I've like to learn it so I can add it to my techskill list (I'm a tech happy person :)).

I appreciate the praise. He's going to be one of my mains when I get him to a more proper level along with my Yoshi. :)

T-block

B2B TST
Yeah, B-reversal Bullet Seed is something I've been experimenting with as well.

Windboxes do weird stuff in terms of hitstun... not sure if it's your traditional hitstun - it's kind of like how you have so many inactionable frames when you're footstooled. It might even be the same state.

Sheik is tricky. If you're on a large stage (like FD) you probably don't want to use Charizard as much to do stuff (although he does fine if you want to camp) since Sheik can run away from you really well. Sheik also gets in on Ivysaur really easily, which Ivysaur doesn't like. You want to use Squirtle more, and you probably want to stay more grounded, poking with f-tilt and such. Might want to ask Reflex or someone else about this matchup... I don't know it all that well tbh.

Squirtle Slide

Rizen

Smash Legend
^Thanks for the critiques:). I started random to get experience. Char and Squirtle are more grab oriented then I thought. They DO have great grabs. I keep thinking I need to act or the opponent will first and do reckless stuff because I don't know the MUs:urg:.

PT boards always have helpful advice;).

Top Bottom