• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2.B.A. MASTER: The New PT Video Thread

CoonTail

Smash Lord
^ Truth fair enough Zig, well looks like DK and Bowser have something in common.....*trollface.jpeg*

LOL jk Zigsta but thanks for all the help and now that we are chatting, I need help with the etags in this thread I haven't been able to update it!!

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Well I'm not sure how to add new players or how to add their videos. I thought I knew enough but once I hit the edit button I opened up coding hell LOL.

Geenareeno

Smash Lord
I'm probably not helping much but; imo start Ivy because: from what I know/remember Ivy is really good at the matchup as well. Between Razor Leaf and easy Bullet Seeds you shouldn't have a hard time knocking him around. Plus then you can have Charizard out second, this sounds not as good but the reason it's better is actually pretty basic. If you start with char then you switch to squirtle, and unless you get and easy switch you have to use him. But if you start Ivy you can have your two best Pokemon out for the entirely/majority of the match. Just my thoughts, I suck.

Ingoro

Smash Ace
NNID
Ingoro
I think you should try to keep DK at distance with ivy using razor leafs and bair more because when he dares to come close, punish him with either neutral A or a bullet seed. You saw it yourself that your charizard obviously had an advantage that last game.

I agree with all the parts said on squirtle, he might be good to rack some damage on low percentage but he gets outranged and can die really early.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Well I'm not sure how to add new players or how to add their videos. I thought I knew enough but once I hit the edit button I opened up coding hell LOL.
If you want to use the current layout, you can just replace the url of the players currently listed with another URL containing the new player's videos.

As it is right now, each player has their own post where they update with all their videos. This is great in an ideal world since it shares the workload, but what I find that usually happens is people get lazy and stop updating their post.

Most video threads are either broken down by character played against or by player. Dates are typically listed by the side of the video URL so that people know how old or current the game is. The fanciest video threads encode the URL into text: Say Reflex and I play a game, and it's uploaded to Youtube. You wanna make it look fancy and don't simply copy and paste the link and plop it on the OP. So you encode the URL within text by using this code:

[ur l=whatevertheURLis]Reflex :pt: vs. Zigsta :bowser2:[/u rl]

Note that for the URL code to work, you'll have to take the spaces out in "url." I just did that so you can see the code without quoting me.

If you wanna do character icon coding, it's pretty simple. Just use this:

:character:

And replace "character" with the Brawl character you wanna use, in ALL lowercase. If you caps the first letter, the coding won't work. If the icon looks funky, just throw a "2" at the end of it. For example:

:bowser:
:bowser2:

:link:
:link2:

:mario:
:mario2:

:pikachu:
:pikachu2:

:dk:
:dk2:

:ness:
:ness2:

I've typed character codes enough to generally remember which ones need a 2, but if you forget, you can always edit your post at any time to change the code to include a "2."

If your character code doesn't show up for some reason, it's because you either spelled the name wrong, capitalized a letter/letters, or you aren't using the right word. ZSS, for example, needs her WHOLE name spelled out, D3's is dedede, and ICs is popo.

You can always just ask me if you run into any specific issues.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
I don't think it's by much then T just because getting in on him is not very difficult at which point the juggles don't stop. He has advantage due to weight and range which is rough for squirtle, but overall this matchup seems about 55:45 at worst.

And Darn T can you at least critique the vid?? Please<3

Tesh

Smash Hero
Uh, did no one mention that grab releasing DK is bad because of the animation? His jab isn't that fast, nor are his tilts at super close range. His grab release animation is 9-11 frames shorter than the normal 30 for most of the cast. If you ground release him, he has GUARANTEED ground moves on you, like jab, grab, dtilt, ftilt, reverse uptilt, dsmash (might be slightly too slow for squirtle tho). You should never ground release him. Just throw him up, he is so free in a juggle, especially for zard and squirtle.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
I hear ya Tesh but Frame 1 jab has beaten him everytime and being that close to DK is not a bad thing since he's sooooo free to grab.

Either way point taken!

T-block

B2B TST
um...yeah you don't have a frame advantage when you ground release DK lol. if you're at high percents, you're just gonna get jab > d-smash'd

i'll watch the vid later x.x

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Lol that's Marth vs. PT tho which is a 7:3 and will tend to show itself unless your T block and you break out that diddy kong ftw against zex <3 Tblock

:phone:

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Ugh yea your throw choice was really bad at the end D-throw or I'm pretty sure even U-throw could have finished that.

On a side note did you duck a standing laser with Zard??? If so can we do this with Zard's D-tilt because if so then we have some new threats.

T-block

B2B TST
D-throw wouldn't have killed. It probably would have let me switch though lol;;

Charizard can't duck lasers unless Falco fires it high like that...

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Yeah, Arty's height for the laser was off. Charizard can't duck under a true silent/near silent laser

MaTA

Smash Ace
NNID
MatisElite
T-block what i find easiest about charizard vs falco is that they are all predictable and try to cancel the laser. You can usually run under the first one and he's so quick at shielding you can keep a constant approach at him. Most of the time you can grab them after they land if you're quick enough. They get scared when you get too close and illusion away.

T-block

B2B TST
Yeah shielddash tends to be my overall strategy against a character like Falco, but I don't think you can say you're going to be landing grabs "most of the time" against good Falco's. Arty was really smart about not spamming lasers where it could get him punished x.x

Forgot to say thanks for recording, btw, Limit. Really appreciate it <3

Myollnir

Smash Ace
Nice match, good PT.

Imo, you should've switch though (even if you eat an FSmash with Squirtle at low %), Charizard at low % is really bad against Falco.

T-block

B2B TST
flamethrower is a much safer choice than rock smash to cover your landing or your return from the ledge. keep ledgehop flamethrower and ledgehop out triple jump back in flamethrower in mind as options for returning from the ledge. not sure if i like b-throw f-air... or f-air in general in this matchup. it’s a move with very limited range against peach because unless you hit with the strong part, she’s probably going to be able to punish you for it. i don’t think you landed a single f-smash... maybe consider choosing a safer option?

not sure if there’s a reason why you use the shift version of hydroplane u-smash rather than the instant one? you make it work, but you’re giving your opponent that much more time to react, and letting them know that you’re able to cover that much ground so quickly with the instant one makes squirtle that much more of a threat at longer distances. you are really aggro and in my experience that really doesn’t work well against peach. the damage you take starting from 31:35 shows it pretty well - i think it’s a real testament to your skill as a player that strings like that from peach don’t happen more often, but maybe you know something about playing aggro with squirtle that i don’t =P i do think the reason leon started doing better against you towards the end was because he started punishing squirtle’s approaches much more consistently... rewatch it and let me know if you feel the same.

remember you have a useful tool in grounded up-b for ivysaur against peach as well... it does it’s job well of threatening the zone that peach likes to be in. at 26:55, for example, up-b would probably be a more effective (and safer) option instead of u-smash. 39:56 is more what i like to see ;D you land those u-smashes like a boss though <3

Myollnir

Smash Ace
Thanks a lot! I really appreciate your help, it'll help me to improve my PT :)

Ok, so a few notes for myself, based on your post and personal thoughts :
Squirtle : - Improve my "Hydrostuff" game (I use the shift version for mindgames ; my main objective is to be unpredictable to contrast with my predictable approaches)
- Try to combo better (I often miss 1/2 moves after a U-tilt)
- Play safer when necessary (yeah he starter punishing my approaches)

Ivysaur :
- Learn to play :( I use too much smashes (bad habit, I trolled with him in FFA in this tournament and I couldn't stop smashing :/ )
- Improve my spacing. Yeah Up-B is a good anti-air approach, I should use it more:) )

Charizard :
- Space better
- Improve my game when I'm recovering (i.e when landing/on the edge)
- Make my game less predictable

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QExeZK8ca4c

Otherwise, if you have any advices for the ZSS MU ^^

T-block

B2B TST
Yeah, try incorporating forward hydroplane into your game more. The shift does have its place, but often the forward version will connect in when the shift will give them too much time to react. Your combo game is actually ridiculously on point - if you think you can improve in that aspect, that's awesome, but I definitely don't think it's a weak point in your game.

Something I noticed in the ZSS game - as Squirtle, covering your landing (after a b-air in particular) with an f-tilt or a jab/pivot jab might be safer than u-tilt, even if the reward for landing u-tilt is greater. I do feel that you overused Rock Smash here though. Other than that, I'm not all that good at the ZSS matchup lol - I got wrecked by Riddle and Dakpo at Genesis. Pray they don't start camping out Squirtle hard though xP

I'm mostly just giving you things to think about... you gotta experiment and see for yourself what works. You're kinda past the level where I can give you straight up tips haha.

Dakpo

Smash Lord
Heh sorry about that, I realized after talking to chuck nasty about the match up (still the best PT I have played) that zss destroys ivy and charizard, and then we can out plank/run squirtle until he is tired :) m2k tactics

Top Bottom