• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2.B.A. MASTER: The New PT Video Thread

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Game 1
- the misclick in the opening seconds of the match almost cost you a stock....take it easy with the short hop water gun charging for that reason. There was no need to hop just charge if he tosses a nade shield or crouch.

- For the entire 1st minute of the match you had very poor move choices and got punished for everyone. Examples were using b-air on snakes shield while he was in front of you.....using d-air on snake's recovery....chasing snake wrecklessly causing you to get u-tilted, also attacking snake everytime he plucked a grenade.

- You seemed to attempt some watergun camping but you used it against snake's n-air which was a poor decision figuring if you had let him wiff it you could have punished. You need to use watergun to maintain stage control also to handle grenades if they start to overwhelm you. Lastly you can use it to push him away from his c4 in case he tries to use it to recover offstage. Also you seemed to be overly anxious in using watergun time it better and the results will be better.

-You also really need to notice snakes significant range advanatge over squirtle...you really did not seem to know the u-tilt jab or f-tilt range which will make the match up much harder for you.

-The entire ivy stock redemonstrated all the issues I listed from squirtle.....lack of range knowledge, you seem to ignore grenades pelting you instead of dodging or clinking with them. You also really seemed to just be throwing attacks out when you need to be reading and responding to the player. You threw a n-air out while snake was still sitting on the ledge instead of responding to him ledgehopping, ledge rolling, or jumping over the ledge. You also caught him in bullet seed and ended it realllll early....you have to force him to eat every last % of that bullet seed since snake's struggle to DI out without taking good chunks of damage.

-Same story with the zard stock...you seemed to be throwing out moves instead of safe options. You didnt seem to pay attention to the grandes and attacked them a few times....not to mention you didnt use flamethrower once which will act as a shield against grenades by deflecting them along with tacking damage on.....just be careful if the snake ever DI's in towards you.

Please dont take this critique as any kind of offensive or arrogant critque against you I just saw a lot of flaws in your matchup knowledge of snake I wanted to point out. I play snake's alot and when you make bad decisions against him it really makes the matchup much harder than it really is.

Game 2
- Squirtle missed EVERY big oppourtunity he had.....you started an up-air chain and after you connected on the first up-air at low damage you went to n-air.....you could have connected at least 2 more u-airs and continued the combo...Snake's second stock you caught him in an early u-tilt lock and after the second u-tilt you short hopped...another big combo oppourtunity missed.

-Ivy and zard stocks were incredibly similar to game 1. Lots of attacks thrown out... little reading of your opponents and just overall very risky decisions with little reward were made.

Overall it was a bit of a better match but you need more matchup knowledge of range along with proper follows to your combos. You gotta use safer options though the attacks you were using were not helping you at all in handling snake.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Thats pretty much why I feel Squirtle isn't that good. Seriously, who loses that bad to marth? Ness? Lucas? Squirtle is like mid tier.

Geenareeno

Smash Lord
One matchup makes Squirtle mid tier? I guess the mk matchup is bad too but squirtle goes fine agaist Snake, Diddy, and idk about Wario. Probably good. I think Falco is bad though.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I can see Diddy, but Snake and Wario just have a massive weight advantage and won't be gimped by a fatigued Squirtle.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
well, are you talking about squirtle as a character in an abstract world where he is actually a character or squirtle as part of pokemon trainer? as a character he does pretty well against most of top/high tier. it's hard to justify squirtle being any better than -2 against marth, grab to death at like 40% is just stupid. but falco gets hard countered by pikachu, and he's still a top character.

i think squirtle would be bottom of high tier.

squirtle as a part of pokemon trainer is just ridiculously gimped by stamina against some of these characters though. running away would work really well. but KOing some characters at 150%+ and dying before 100% just doesn't bode well for you, especially when squirtle has a hard time getting in sometimes.

T-block

B2B TST
Hmm I could use some critique on my PT.

Marth
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dulGsa8mJpk
Kirby
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tnElzezovs
Pikachu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mcV79d4q4U

It be cool for a detailed thing.

There more vids i uploaded onto my channel if you wish to see more

Thanks
Marth - Tell your friend to learn to DI d-throw lol... both of you need to DI a lot better in general actually. I saw some good stuff with Squirtle, although it feels like you're not thinking much when you play Squirtle. That Marth had a TON of bad habits you could have taken advantage of. Using empty shorthops and feinted approaches will probably bait a lot of stuff out of him. Try it out next time you play. Don't throw out smashes so haphazardly as Ivysaur, as tempting as it is. You should probably be using aerials a bit more to try to control the space around Marth. I like the use of Vine Whip, but get more comfortable with when you can use it and when it's not as effective. Those b-airs at the ledge were more like how I fight Marth, but don't get predictable with it, because Marth can punish full hop double b-air easily if he knows that's what you're going to do. After the first b-air, remember you can use pretty much any other aerial, or even double jump. I dunno though... Ivy vs. Marth is tough.

Kirby - Ugh DI. This Kirby seemed to fish pretty hard for the grab at the beginning of your stocks - you probably could have punished that a lot harder. Stop falling for his rolls. Watch the vid again and see if you can predict when he's going to roll... he's being predictable with those. Kirby has pretty poor approach options in general, so take advantage of that. If he has to roll behind you to get in, punish him for it. When I play against Kirby, I play to stuff the approach. So with Ivysaur, stop using Razor Leaf so much, especially at mid-close range, and starting walling with b-air and tilts, mixing it up of course with f-air. Same with Charizard - short bursts of Flamethrowers, f-tilt, b-air, n-air can make it difficult for Kirby to approach. I think in general both of you need to start seriously thinking about what move you are using, and what move the other might use. If you can both do that, you will both help each other get better. Your use of Rock Smash was really predictable. He needs to start noticing these things and punishing you for it, and you need to start noticing the things he does. For the last KO, Rock Smash should not have been your move of choice, for example.

I'll get to the rest later ^^

StarGalaxy777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StarGalaxy
Wow I'm astounded at what you found from those vids, and tvh thats pretty darn good info Ill take it to heart....thanks

T-block

B2B TST
Tesh vs. Aposl - Only watching the first three for now.

I am really bad at Squirtle dittos, so I can't help much there. F-tilt seems like it should be used more though. I think the jab combo shouldn't be used as much since it's so easy for the other Squirtle to just jab out of it himself. I tend to favour cancelling the first jab into something else in Squirtle dittos, but what do I know =x Tesh did exactly what he needed to do against Ivysaur - get in and don't let up until Ivysaur is dead. On the other hand, Aposl needs to play a lot more carefully if he's going to leave a fresh Ivysaur in against Squirtle. Charizard can Rock Smash out of Squirtle's u-tilt chain (I think Squirtle can get two safely), so both of you should be aware of that.

Aposl needs to get a better feel for when to use Squirtle's d-throw =P If you're feeling trapped on the ledge as Charizard, jumping back on with Flamethrower is something to keep in mind.

I noticed you both shieldgrab with Ivysaur in weird places. Get comfortable with which moves are punishable on shield with shieldgrab as Ivysaur (it's not a lot), and keep in mind that Ivysaur's standing grab is really slow. Tesh I loved your up-b at 0:40... I totally would have done that myself. Aposl, I think you let Tesh get too comfortable with Ivysaur at the end of this match. You got him off stage a lot, but didn't really apply as much pressure as I would have liked to see.

Hopefully I'll get to watching the rest later.

Aposl

Smash Ace
lol those are friendlies, i didn't take them that seriously but if I knew they where going up here I would have, Tesh's pt was good though.

T-block

B2B TST
Ah okay. Still though... playing as Squirtle with an Ivysaur off-stage is the most enjoyable thing in the world. I don't know why you wouldn't be ruthless even in friendlies =P

Geenareeno

Smash Lord
Just a few quick things I found. Short hop leaves, that way you can move during the animation. Short hop bairs too. When he used Falcon Kick you could have nair'd instead of jumping away, should have done that since it probably would have led into an uptilt or many other options. You know this but don't taunt and then switch. For Squirtle, less smashes and more jabs and grabs. When an opponent is behind you and hits your shield, it's usually better to punish with a bair then to roll behind them. Use Chari's bair for spacing CF. You really need to play offline because smashes and using razor leaf that close will get you punished in a tournament. Pretty good though.

Ingoro

Smash Ace
NNID
Ingoro
This might sounds really rude, but we gave you advice earlier and you didn't implent those words into your gameplay yet,
so perhaps you should make a small text/word document where you write everything down and can check it regularly.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I hadn't played brawl for a while then focused on learning another character then dropped him and picked up wolf as well as keeping PT, Zelda and Link so my PT hasn't developed hardly at all. I'm trying to control the characters better but do tend to revert back to old bad habits :( . I know my mistakes are essentially the same but I'm slowly developing my game.

Ingoro

Smash Ace
NNID
Ingoro
also I recommend that you get a replay hack to improve your games over 3 minutes, in that way we won't see half-serious matches where there's noteably something wrong, like a sd or a super early gimp. It also helps to play "sets" with people, involving a few battles so we can see how you play over a period of time and if you or your opponent adapt to the battles. In this way we can give you more accurate advise instead of saying the same we've been telling you for three battles :)

Tesh

Smash Hero
Do you mean a bad matchup FOR Ness and Lucas? Or the other way around?

I didn't know he had super **** on Lucas, but on Ness for sure he has a grab release chaingrab VERY similar to Marth's. He moves very slightly forward and when you get to the ledge he can just ftilt you into an easy gimping situation where water gun destroys their recovery easily. Fatigue might help you escape the chaingrab though (pummels would have less hitstun?) by air releasing.

Killanator90

Smash Journeyman
Thats what i figured i thought it was a good matchup for him. I must of read something wrong

T-block

B2B TST
Ness is not that easy to gimp, especially from an f-tilt at the ledge. Charizard is more likely to gimp Ness at the ledge via grab release > Flamethrower.

Squirtle and Charizard and both regrab Ness without dashing, but both have to dash in order to regrab Lucas.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
You won't ever get to the ledge, because the movement forward is pretty much unnoticeable, unlike Marth.

You just pummel him to death. If he manages to air break, F-Air him

Tesh

Smash Hero
But don't pummels have less hitstun when you fatigue? Meaning he has more room to air break? He is really only stuck until you fatigue right?

Ingoro

Smash Ace
NNID
Ingoro
It's better to play people who are better then you, if you're playing people around your level it's harder to improve. Now if you play better people, you're forced to try new things/adapt and pay more attention while playing. ps, squirtle didn't go so bad did he?

Geenareeno

Smash Lord
0:06

That's why wifi is bad. Not beaking you, wifi has created a lot of great players and is a legit training tool but just look at that. And yeah Ingoro unfortunately for me the people I play against regularly are worse than me. Sort of.

Top Bottom