• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

10/25 Houston, TX SSBM Tourney "How Many Neanderthals Can Fit on a Sinking Ship?" 2!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeBoBli

Smash Cadet
How Many Neanderthals Can Fit on a Sinking Ship? The 2nd Sampling!!
The name has been changed to counteract gender insensitivities. The fact that 96% of the smash community is made up of males is duly noted.

Previous tournament results:
"How Many Cavemen Can Fit on a Sinking Ship?"

Ronnie, considered the best Houston player is leaving for the Air Force near the end of the month and wants to go out with a bang! This will be his last tournament before he leaves. Everyone should take this opportunity to get some practice in if not only to make a good impression, but to help your rank after his leave.

A great chance of coming to this event:

SideEffect
King Mosquito
bluezaft
OhMyGodItzMouf
Sybawave
baka4moé
Cesar(WTF!)
MassofthePhoenix
pootTheBox
Sugoi boy
forkgirl
Fliphopper
bacon
Timerbomb
BeBoBli
Xyro77
Gigi
Dawn

Are hopefully making it to this:

Guts-Rage
Jeremy Feifer
Sethl0n
Columbian Falcon
leapinghare

Please bring setups this time!!
Last time only 1 person brought a full setup and it made the tournament longer than it should have been. A setup includes everything needed to play the game (television, gamecube/wii, game, cables). Post in here if you are bringing one.

Events & Pricing:
Singles: $10

Doubles: $10 (per team)
or...
Low-Tier: $5

If there are enough people showing interest then we will have teams, but last time there was too much disinterest and too little time. So in the case of that I will immediately introduce the idea of a low-tier tournament.

Date & Time:
October 25th
Early arrival: 10:00 AM
Singles begins: 2:00 PM
Low-tier begins: Whenever singles ends (~6:00PM)

Address:
1000 Cypress Station #1713
Houston, TX 77090

If there is a guard tell them you are here to see Aaron at #1713. Keep my number handy if the gates are closed and you need the number to get in. Please park in a spot without roofing or you will be towed. Phone: (832) 813-9210

Poor ASCII map because it's hard to explain where it's located in the complex:

Code:
T = place of smashin'
 _______
|_______|

T______
|_______|                                                    Don't go this way dummy
 \
  \       < < < < < < < < <   4-way
   \     V                  <
   <-Park here!->            |\
                              |\
       ____                    |\              ____
      |    |                    ^             |    |
      |    |                    ^             |    |
      |____|                    ^             |____|
                                ^
       ____                     ^
      |    |  Office            ^
      |____|  
                             Gates
Rules:

General Rules:
- 4 stock
- 7 minute time limit
- All Items off
- No handicaps
- 2/3 sets
- 3/5 sets for finals

Special Rules:
- Bring your own controller
- In the case of a tie or controller disputes the winner will be decided by a single round of jump-rope.
- Controller Mods and glitches (IC Freeze Glitch, Mewtwo Soul Stunner, etc.) are banned.
- Stall tactics such as Peach's Wall-bomb can be used for recovery purposes only.
- Wobbling is allowed until 200%, in which case it is considered stalling the match.

Team Rules:

- Team Attack will be ON
- Life stealing allowed

Stage Rules:
- First stage agreed upon or random
- Dave’s Stupid Rule (DSR): No stage may be used twice in a single set if the counter-picking player has already won on that stage.
- Stage Banning: Each person may choose one stage to be disabled for the entire set, it must be chosen at the beginning of the set, after initial characters are chosen. It can be a neutral or non-neutral stage.
- Stage Striking: Each player may choose a neutral stage which cannot be chosen during the first match. This is done after the stage ban.
- Advanced Slob Picks: Loser may choose the next stage or select to go random. The winner may then change their character, followed by the loser.

Random Stage List:
Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams
Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
Past Stages: Dream Land
Special Stages: Battlefield
Special Stages: Final Destination
Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter Stage List:
Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
Dream Land: Green Greens
DK Island: Jungle Japes
F-Zero Grand Prix: Mute City
Kanto Skies: Poke Floats
Lylat System: Corneria
Planet Zebes: Brinstar
Past Stages: Kongo Jungle

Banned Stage List:
Mushroom Kingdom: Princess Peach's Castle
DK Island: Kongo Jungle
Eagleland: Onett
Eagleland: Fourside
F-Zero Grand Prix: Big Blue
Hyrule Temple
Infinite Glacier: Icicle Mountain
Lylat System: Venom
Mushroom Kingdom I
Mushroom Kingdom II
Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Island
Past Stages: Yoshi's Island
Superflat World: Flat Zone
Termina: Great Bay

Teams Legal Stage Differences:
- Add Special Stages: Battlefield to Random Stage List
- Add Termina: Great Bay to the Counter Stage List
- Add F-Zero Grand Prix: Mute City to the Banned Stage List
- Add Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams to the Banned Stage List

Civility:
- Please don't bring any drugs including alcohol, tobacco products or anything illegal. Prescription and food products are fine.
- On the subject of food or anything else that makes a mess please don't leave garbage lying around or hiding. There is a garbage can at most 10 feet from you. Don't be a lazy slob.
- No fighting!
- No stealing!

Disobeying any of these may lead to you not only being omitted from the tournament, but the venue altogether.

If you have any questions, suggestions or need me to put you in one of the lists feel free to post about it!

SideEffect

Smash Journeyman
I hope you do come KM. Same goes for Dallas and Austin, I wonder if someone will knock me off the top before I go =P

bluezaft

The True Zaft
I'll try to rustle up some excitement over in Dallas about this. But do teams instead of low tier if out of towners come. I have never even heard of anyone actually enjoying a low tier tournament.

SideEffect

Smash Journeyman
Lmao. Agreed Blue. If there is enough people this time around we will do teams, but only you OOC people can make that happen!

I know DoH was scared to come to the last tourney because he knew I was going to be there but tell him I will only 2 stock him so he doesn't get too embarrassed. I'm a nice guy. BLAHHH!!!! *releases fllies*

BeBoBli

Smash Cadet
I'll try to rustle up some excitement over in Dallas about this. But do teams instead of low tier if out of towners come. I have never even heard of anyone actually enjoying a low tier tournament.
I am one. I consider low-tier very exciting and interesting. Every low-tier event I attended I had a lot of fun. I might be biased considering my main is Kirby though.

I changed it to a conditional Teams first then Low-tier if there aren't enough teams.

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
We should just have a random tournament. I had one after Final Smash 2 and it was amazing.

Both characters are random, random stage all the way (ALL STAGES ARE ON), then round 2 you have to switch to your opponents character, then if there is a round 3 then new characters are picked.

bluezaft

The True Zaft
Mehhhh. It's only fun if weird stages are just a novelty to you (of course, in San Antonio every stage but FD is a novelty), but Dallas plays super awesome matches with pokeballs on every level all the time. If we actually travel to Houston for a tournament we'd sort of expect the standard singles and teams. But if there's time afterward, heck yeah! Although I doubt any of us would even stay for a low tier tournament.

Kirby is an unfortunate main.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
so this is how you get people back into melee? ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

baka4moé

Smash Champion
does anyone here live near the sugarland area? i reeeeaaaalllyy want to go but i need a ride to the place... like maybe bacn, stark, or vic (or others)?

oh and mouf i might take you up on that mm offer (hopefully you remember me?), though i prefer multiple small stakes matches instead of one big stake match.

OhMyGodItzMouf

Smash Journeyman
does anyone here live near the sugarland area? i reeeeaaaalllyy want to go but i need a ride to the place... like maybe bacn, stark, or vic (or others)?

oh and mouf i might take you up on that mm offer (hopefully you remember me?), though i prefer multiple small stakes matches instead of one big stake match.
ya i remember ya, you wanna do 5$ fox vs peach 3/5?

MassofthePhoenix

Smash Cadet
Alright I am for sure coming to this one, last one seemed pretty fun ( I doubt anyone remembers me, I didn't play that much, which might be good, I have a pretty mediocre Shiek, but I suppose it's not too bad for playing for four weeks ).

baka4moé

Smash Champion
ya i remember ya, you wanna do 5$ fox vs peach 3/5?
hmm...maybe, cuz i was hoping i could do a DK vs peach 3/5; it's not everyday i get to play an amazing DK you know? :) but sure, perhaps we could do more than one mm if you're up to it (assuming i'll be able to go, of course).

Sugoi_boy

Smash Cadet
so who wants to mm me at this one?
Hey Mouf,

That was certainly a great match we had in the friendlies- I was the Ylink that took three stocks off your Falco. I havent had a match that exhilirating in some time. Great match sir. btw that DK you played was unreal.

Also Baka, great peach bro, sickest I have ever seen.

Hope me and Massofthephoenix can make it to the next Htown tourney.

OhMyGodItzMouf

Smash Journeyman
hmm...maybe, cuz i was hoping i could do a DK vs peach 3/5; it's not everyday i get to play an amazing DK you know? :) but sure, perhaps we could do more than one mm if you're up to it (assuming i'll be able to go, of course).
i would do that except peach is one of dk's worst matchups...i tell ya what, if i do win the fox vs peach one, we can do a dk vs peach one after that. is that cool with you?

and ya sugoi boy i remember you, good y link man

baka4moé

Smash Champion
i would do that except peach is one of dk's worst matchups...i tell ya what, if i do win the fox vs peach one, we can do a dk vs peach one after that. is that cool with you?

if i'm feeling confident at the time, and if i can go, then yes. haha jk i'll probably do it, though lets make the dk match $7 instead.

MassofthePhoenix

Smash Cadet
hey were you there at the last tourney?

are you possibly coming to the next one?

@Baka

Dude sugoi boy and I were thinking if you cant get a ride we would be more than willing to pick you up

baka4moé

Smash Champion
hey were you there at the last tourney?

are you possibly coming to the next one?

@Baka

Dude sugoi boy and I were thinking if you cant get a ride we would be more than willing to pick you up
wow thanks a bunch guys i really appreciate it. don't worry I'll help pay for gas if need be. I'll continue to ask around if anyone who lives closer is willing to get me a ride there, as i wouldn't want you to have to drive over to sugarland if you don't have to. but yea, thanks again, i'll take you up on that offer :)

The_Smash_Champ

Banned via Warnings

Lol maybe i should use IC's more, lol that little quick match i had with you Mouf you were like wtf. XD

BeBoBli

Smash Cadet
so do we know if we are having any people who are coming that didn't go to the last one?
It's guaranteed a higher turn-out.

We will probably have a number of out-of-towners this time whereas it was pretty much only Houstonians last time. I will try to interest a few people that quit smash altogether due to Brawl. There were also some schedule conflicts for some people like homecoming and work. Not to mention it was all pretty short notice with me not having the internet so easily accessible to update the thread when needed.

By the way I updated the thread with the rules. Did I miss anything? Any questions about the event overall?

Sybawave

Smash Ace
Jungle Japes is on the counter pick twice and isn't it supposed to be 8 mins instead of 7? That seems kind of short and may affect cloud control on Yoshi's Story

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
It's guaranteed a higher turn-out.

We will probably have a number of out-of-towners this time whereas it was pretty much only Houstonians last time. I will try to interest a few people that quit smash altogether due to Brawl. There were also some schedule conflicts for some people like homecoming and work. Not to mention it was all pretty short notice with me not having the internet so easily accessible to update the thread when needed.

By the way I updated the thread with the rules. Did I miss anything? Any questions about the event overall?
You should have that list of people attending like last time. It helps build hype.

Guts-Rage

Smash Cadet
I'll try to come to this one, But there is a slight chance. I'm not old enough to drive a car so my bro is gonna come with me. I think it's not a long drive from my house, because I live in Cypress also close to FM 529, Fry road also..... Are you going to be able to do Friendlies before Singles and Doubles? I think the best part of tournament are the rounds before them hahaha, Well I'm gonna try my best to not miss this one, and I'll see if I can post up a vid of me playing soon......

Sybawave

Smash Ace
Does everyone have to live in the north side of Houston <_<

And when is your thing going to be Clueless? You said it was this weekend right? Is anyone else going to that one?

forkgirl

Smash Lord
(of course, in San Antonio every stage but FD is a novelty)
only if you're SOS.

Kyle, how are you getting to this tourney???

Jungle Japes is on the counter pick twice and isn't it supposed to be 8 mins instead of 7? That seems kind of short and may affect cloud control on Yoshi's Story
Because Jungle Japes is twice as cool as other counterpicks!

and Yoshi's story? seriously? Matches don't take very long on Yoshi's Story. You should be more worried about peach dittos on dreamland :ohwell:

You should have that list of people attending like last time. It helps build hype.
i agree! build hype!! :D also teams>>>>>anything else

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
Kyle, how are you getting to this tourney???
My girlfriend's grandma happens to live in Houston. She has been wanting to visit her, and I had plans to go to the last one, but Ike ruined that. She still wants to go, and doesn't mind me going to a tournament, since I'm still going to be spending time with her regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom