• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

1 new character per week equals....

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Probably 30-35 characters. 40 I would say is the absolute maximum, but getting into the farfetched zone. Remember, there are new elements to the game. Footstool jumping, final smashing, more in depth specials, possible new techniques such as crawling and quick back dashes. That means alot of animation and equations for each character. And if Sakurai is going for no clones, which seems to be the common thought then the roster will not be padded.

I think the cuts were made so more focus could go into the new characters, thus ensuring quality over quantity.

M.K

Level 55
Ok, think about it, 30 characters is 5 MORE than Melee. There is no way, NO WAY, Sakurai spent almost three years developing 9 characters. That's just plain stupid. I don't care how "Zomg Non-Clones" the roster is, the game is about franchises beating the **** out of each other, not "Main Character A" vs. "Main Character B". I expect 40-45 characters, rock on everyone who thinks so too!

Plus, some of the best characters are clones, ex. Marth + Fox (well, they HAVE clones at least.)

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
unless you can tell me why there will be less than 43-45 characters.
then we might have sumthing worth talking about
The fact that Brawl isn't being rushed the way Melee was does prove that Sakurai had the chance to devote a lot more time to develop new characters, however, the new Story Mode and new features (final smashes, footstool jump, etc) also shows that Sakurai decided to use a large portion of his time in places other than characters.

When you consider that there were only 14 characters added to Melee from 64, including clones, it seems foolish to me to expect 45+ characters—that's about a 20 character increase right there. The problem only gets worse if you think about the clones getting axed, or at least new movesets (since that would essentially be like adding a new character). That would bump the newcomer number up to about 26.

Now, of course it's possible that they did do that, but it's also very possible that they added 10-12 newcomers and called it a day. We've got 17 perfectly fine characters confirmed as it is, and not all of the original 12 have even been confirmed yet. And personally, I'd rather keep my hopes low and get blown away than have my hopes high and get very disappointed.

Though I do hope you're right, because I would like an even larger roster to pick from. I'm just only expecting about 35.

BUM163

Smash Lord
theres 26 in melee.people 4get although shiek n zelda r the same person.they r different characters.

M.K

Level 55
theres 26 in melee.people 4get although shiek n zelda r the same person.they r different characters.
Uhm...what? Grammer?

Dear Vegetable,

Now I know why braindead people are named after you and not rocks. At least rocks don't taste like DESPAIR! You know why broccoli is shaped like a cartoon fart? Because it looks likt something coming out of Andy Capp's ***! Look at an onion, it makes you CRY! **** YOU!

Bob.

Anyway, yes of course, I
m expecting 40-45 characters.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I'll have to say about 38-45 but being Sakurai's last smash it would be even better if he were to include close to 50, but like NothingRHyms/Circus said, that number would be ridiculous if all characters were to be unique, and if indeed it turned out to be like that (without clones whatsoever) then it would definetly be a perfect smash

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
NeoSoul
taht brings it to 33, which is consciderably more than melee
That's only 7 more characters than Melee had, that would suck.

goodkid

Smash Lord
I see between 40-50 characters. I read somewhere about Sakurai and his team that they weren't taking anymore character ideas in June 2006. That gives them tons of time to create new characters and unique movesets. And with Sakurai's team being larger, that gives a possibility of 40 - 50.

Chrisiscool

Smash Apprentice
read carefully

The fact that Brawl isn't being rushed the way Melee was does prove that Sakurai had the chance to devote a lot more time to develop new characters, however, the new Story Mode and new features (final smashes, footstool jump, etc) also shows that Sakurai decided to use a large portion of his time in places other than characters.

When you consider that there were only 14 characters added to Melee from 64, including clones, it seems foolish to me to expect 45+ characters—that's about a 20 character increase right there. The problem only gets worse if you think about the clones getting axed, or at least new movesets (since that would essentially be like adding a new character). That would bump the newcomer number up to about 26.

Now, of course it's possible that they did do that, but it's also very possible that they added 10-12 newcomers and called it a day. We've got 17 perfectly fine characters confirmed as it is, and not all of the original 12 have even been confirmed yet. And personally, I'd rather keep my hopes low and get blown away than have my hopes high and get very disappointed.

Though I do hope you're right, because I would like an even larger roster to pick from. I'm just only expecting about 35.

I have 2 questions:

1.how many of the 25 characters from melee do you believe wont be returning?

2. how many starters do u believe will be in brawl?.

if you look porportionally to the increase in characters from 64 to melee. you can the nfind a series of patterns that will give u a pretty accurate estmate.

64 had 8 starters 4 unlockables. equals 12
melee had 14 starters 11 unlockables.= 25

melee started out with more than brawl ended with....
within 2 years.

melee to brawl=

melee = 14 + 11 = 25
brawl= so far 17. but the question is how many starters? when that is answered then you can think of the number of unlockables. there will be more starters than there will be unlockables.
there should be more starters then the total of melee but sakurai stated their wouldnt be such an increase like their was from brawl to melee. so then i figure it will be say 3 or 4 less then the total of melee.
lets even say 5
that would be 20 characters starting...
but then pit and wario
22 characters starting
then you figuer the unlockables.

-64 had half of the number of starters added as unlockables. (8 to 4)
-melee had more than a third of the number of starters added as unlockables. (14 to 11)
-brawl should have about a third of the number of starters added as unlockables if you take in sakurais word. (approx. 22 to 17)

so that would be 39 characters total

the third party characters i believe should be added seperately. since this is a nintendo franchize and these characters are guests. lets give it the benefit of the doubt and say 2 more third parties seperate from snake.
39+3
=42

so i believe a range of 42-45.

the reason bieng why i put 42 the lowest is because if you look at 64 to melee they were 2 years from eachother. yet brawl is 6 from melee.
so.. looking at a more mathematical approach would give us 42 , i believe with 6 years of a wait even if it was just 4, sakurais team could figure out how to make characters unique and elements like final smashes and footstooling really help with balancing.
and there is always the mystery character.

THIS IS ONLY MY OPINION

thanks circus for debating and not flaming. i just want to hear your resposne to the 2 questions so i can get more insight to other peoples views.

Chrisiscool

Smash Apprentice
i meant from 64 to melee when i was referring to sakurai
feel free to correct my errors.
sorry bout double posting =]

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
Sort of. I expect about 15, which would mean there would be 9 or 10 more new characters to be revealed on the site. Which would be more then the amount they added to melee or the original for that matter. I also expect Sakurai to axe the clones. So 25-6+15 = 34, but i'll gladly take 40 with or without clones. I think anything more then that is being unreasonable though.

I don't agree with WWLink, Geno, and Dedede, but that's just my opinion.
That makes:

29 characters. Now add the ones that we're pretty sure will be playable:

King Dedede
Geno
Ridley
Captain Olimar
Krystal
WW Link
Lucas
(These were some of the top voted for characters on Sakurai's poll)
And what the hell is the TP franchise?
*Cough*

Twilight Princess

*Cough*

blayde_axel

Smash Master
I'm still going with the doubling theory... Although 50 seems like a lot, it seems like something that'd happen on Brawl... the unexpected.

Then balancing becomes an issue...

I.T.P

Smash Ace
does no one care enough to comment about my list on page 4 ;-(????

and also, does no one else agree that snake should be the only 3rd party character? and that putting in anyone else other than maybe someone related to snake would be disastrous to the game and destroy the original point of it?

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
does no one care enough to comment about my list on page 4 ;-(????

and also, does no one else agree that snake should be the only 3rd party character? and that putting in anyone else other than maybe someone related to snake would be disastrous to the game and destroy the original point of it?

Having Snake be the ONLY 3rd party character would make him seem completely out of place an unnecessary. I don't like the idea of letting ANY 3rd parties in, but if they're going to, they need to have a decent amound (about 5) so that they don't seem out of place as much, but also don't dominate the actual Nintendo characters.

Besides, you can't have Snake but not Sonic.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
Also, anyone who thinks that the Ice Climbers, Game & Watch, and/or Mewtwo should be cut needs to have their head checked. They all absolutely deserve to return. They are all unique characters. IC have a very unique dynamic that sets them apart from anyone else. Mewtwo adds another villain to a hero-heavy roster, and the way he wields items is way too cool for him to be cut. And Game & Watch... Game & Watch is just hilarious.

blayde_axel

Smash Master
Speaking of Game and Watch, anyone noticed how Wario moves? It's hilarious. lol.

I'm honestly against Mewtwo... then again, since my memory card lost my SSBM data, I can't form a second opinion right now. I've grown to enjoy Ness, Ice Climbers, and Peach, which were people I didn't like before... so if I get a chance, I'll try Mewtwo out again...

But I doubt I'll like him. lol.

I.T.P

Smash Ace
i really think snake should stay a gimmick one character only, please god NO SONIC! having sonic would completely ruin the game in my opinion.

if anyone from melee needs to be cut, it's pichu, followed by dr mario, roy(i mean, he was there as a preview, marth is the true FE hero) and then game and watch,ICs and mewtwo.

ICs were a one time thing, i doubt they'll return, too buggy. and mewtwo was just meh.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
This is a bad assumption, topic creator. Sakurai does just about anything he wants to do and he's hard to predict. Anyways, if some of the bad characters from Melee do return, their statistics need to be buffed up, especially if Roy's coming back. He's such a horrible character. I heard that he can be a beast in Fire Emblem 6, though. For example, I've read in the Roy forums months ago that in FE6, when Roy counters, 75% of the attack damage from an enemy heals Roy. I'm just throwing suggestions down

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
Also, anyone who thinks that the Ice Climbers, Game & Watch, and/or Mewtwo should be cut needs to have their head checked. They all absolutely deserve to return. They are all unique characters. IC have a very unique dynamic that sets them apart from anyone else. Mewtwo adds another villain to a hero-heavy roster, and the way he wields items is way too cool for him to be cut. And Game & Watch... Game & Watch is just hilarious.
Amen.

I'm so tired of people calling for characters to be cut just because they're annoyed by them. I see absolutely no reason to axe a completely original and unique fighter.

I'm annoyed by Marth, so maybe that means Sakurai will cut him. Except no one would accept that because everyone loves the glitch known as Marth. But it's also not a logical choice. Axing Marth would be like axing Pikachu; they represent the first games of their franchises.

I'm just plain sick of people who think Sakurai is going to cater to their every want and desire when it comes to the roster. You, sir, get five gold stars for actually having some logic towards the matter. It's good to meet a brother here.

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
i would be perfectly satisfied with 30-35 characters, that's enough in my opinion. and pleas god, no more non-nintendo characters! snake is enough!

this is my wish list:
1.pit
2.wario
3.ZSS
4.Ike
5.PT
6.Diddy
7.Pikachu
8.Link
9.Mario
10.Kirby
11.Samus
12.Fox
13.Bowser
14.Peach
15.Yoshi
16.Zelda
17.Donkey Kong
18*.Meta Knight
19*.Solid Snake
thats the confirmed ones, i'm hoping for
20.krystal
21.Wolf O'Donnel
22.Falco
23.MP Hunters Character\Marine Soldier(their design is too cool!)
24.Tom Nook(thats 99% likely in my opinion)
25.Ness
26.any Mother 2\Mother 3 Character
27.Marth
28.Black Bull\shadow\whatever he's called(from F-Zero)
29.Gannondorf(he can't be out)
30.Luigi(same as above)
31.New Pokemon Character(Please have someone normal)
32.Mr. Game and Watch(he deserves to return)
33.Ephraim\Lyn\Hector(though i know the chances are slim)
34.the new F-zero Hero character from the anime\falcon densetsu.
35.Jigglypuff

this'll be more than enough IMO. dr. mario,ICs,Y.link,Pichu,Mewtwo and roy need to be out.
Please tell me I read over no King Dedede on your list. I will tell you right now Metaknight would of never been added to SSBB if King Dedede wasn't in. King Dedede is the most frequent and recurring boss in the Kirby series. He had the top votes on the the poll. King Dedede overall is more important than Metaknight. I'm just waiting for King Dedede's update page because I want to see what moves he'll have.

Now on to the other part of your list. Is the MP Hunter really even that viable? I think Ridley would have a better chance. Sonic also should be on your list. You can hate 3rd party characters all you want but you cannot deny Sonic's popularity. The only thing stopping Sonic from getting in is Sega being dumb. Other than that it seems to be okay, I don't know about adding that many starfox characters but w/e.

Even though it's a wishlist you really do have to incoporate characters that are pretty much as shoe in( like King Dedede and Sonic).

specialsauce

Smash Journeyman
whats people hatin on third party characters!? its not like theres gonna be a ton 3 at most. wow like thats really gonna hurt the game 3 out of at least 40 characters which will be all nintendo! theres only so many nintendo characters that can fight and i think having sonic, snake or othe 3rd party people adds some variety and sumthing new, also if u do think there gonna hurt the game could u pleasee explain y u think that?

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
They just seem incredibly out of place. It would be like if the creators of The Simpsons Movie had slipped Bugs Bunny and Fred Flintstone in there somewhere.

specialsauce

Smash Journeyman
They just seem incredibly out of place. It would be like if the creators of The Simpsons Movie had slipped Bugs Bunny and Fred Flintstone in there somewhere.
i see i think snake might be alittle out of place but Ithink megaman and sonic would fit in just fine, also since this isnt a movie and its a game anythings possible sonic could be woven in to the game seemlessly

I.T.P

Smash Ace
i never said 3rd party characters can't fit in. i just don't want them to ;-), i like smash as a nintendo all star game and i don't want that to change just so some fanboy can yell "W00t! Sonic!".

i can take snake cause it's a half joke and it's only one character(they did that with the boktai-Battle network connection, so i can see how they persuaded sakurai) but sonic would be a spit in every fans face. sonic does not belong in SSB, not as a joke, not as a gimmick, not as anything.

as for kirby knight's comments, i'm not so sure that DeDeDe will be in, though i wouldn't mind it. he can be a cool SSBB character and he fits the game very well. ridley should be there as a boss or an AT, not as a character, he's too big physically to be a playable character IMO.

and yeah, most of my list is a wish list, cause i believe they'll have around 35 characters, and i want the ones i wrote in the game. the franchises that got neglected in SSB and SSBM(Neglected = only one character) deserve some additions. 1 or 2 more SF characters is good, another earthbound character, another FE character(3 FE characters is not an unrealistic request) another metroid character(though the selection is poor), a better pokemon than the ones we got so far, another earthbound character, another F-Zero character. heck, even add cranky kong for all i mind. just no 3rd party's

specialsauce

Smash Journeyman
you'd rather have some random f-zero or extra meaninless nintendo character than someone who can fight like sonic or megaman i mean come on I know this game is for nintendo all stars but i think theres room for another 3rd party character not to mention that we're pretty much guaranteed another one any ways

blayde_axel

Smash Master
I'm personally against 3rd party characters... not for the fact that they are 3rd party... it's the fact that everyone's saying all of these stupid ideas for 3rd party chars. I like the idea of Sonic and Megaman. But would you really want Cloud, or Sora, or Gex, or Croc, or any of those odd choices? No, I'm hoping.

(BTW, I love Sora. I think he'd make a good choice in the TYPE of game Brawl is... just not Brawl itself.)

I.T.P

Smash Ace
thats another thing i wanted to comment on, who said we're guaranteed another 3rd party character? i think snake should stay unique. it's cute that he's in, but i'd prefer godforsaken old and out dated nintendo characters over sonic and megaman any day. as much as i like sonic games and Megaman games(and i've played both franchises for hundreds of hours) i don't want them in SSBB.

if there's any 3rd party character i'd accept, its liquid snake or solidus snake.

EdwardGordon

Smash Journeyman
Reply to Post:

I detest all this talk of 1 character a week for the next 15 weeks. That's not going to happen because Sakurai will want to save a lot of characters (the unlockables) to remain hidden until the game is released.

Assume that there will probably be 20-21 starting for Brawl. If each character revealed on Dojo is starting that means we have 4 more characters to look forward to until Brawl is released. (I didn't count the transformations)

Sakurai didn't reveal all the characters for Melee until it was released. So in the 14 weeks till Brawl we have can expect a new character update every 3-4 weeks. My guess is MetaKnight, two new characters, and one returning (Captain Falcon).

In 14 weeks that's about 70 updates. With four more characters, and all the remaining Special Moves and Final Smashes (27), about five more stages, ten more items, ten more assists, five more musics, five more how-tos and four more videos.

Chrisiscool

Smash Apprentice
I have 2 questions:

1.how many of the 25 characters from melee do you believe wont be returning?

2. how many starters do u believe will be in brawl?.

if you look porportionally to the increase in characters from 64 to melee. you can then find a series of patterns that will give u a pretty accurate estmate.

64 had 8 starters 4 unlockables. equals 12
melee had 14 starters 11 unlockables.= 25

melee started out with more than brawl ended with....
2 years later 99-01

melee to brawl=

melee = 14 + 11 = 25
brawl= so far 17. but the question is how many starters? when that is answered then you can think of the number of unlockables. there will be more starters than there will be unlockables.
there should be more starters then the total of melee but sakurai stated their wouldnt be such an increase like their was from 64 to melee. so then i figure it will be say 3 or 4 less then the total of melee.
lets even say 5
that would be 20 characters starting...
but then pit and wario (doesnt say character approaching)
22 characters starting
then you figuer the unlockables.

-64 had half of the number of starters added as unlockables. (8 to 4)
-melee had more than a third of the number of starters added as unlockables. (14 to 11)
-brawl should have about a third of the number of starters added as unlockables if you take in sakurais word. (approx. 22 to 17)

so that would be 39 characters total

the third party characters i believe should be added seperately. since this is a nintendo franchise and these characters are guests. lets give it the benefit of the doubt and say 2 more third parties seperate from snake ( 1).
39+3
=42

so i believe a range of 42-45.

the reason bieng why i put 42 the lowest in range is because if you look at 64 to melee they were 2 years from eachother. yet brawl is 6 from melee.
so.. looking at a more mathematical approach would give us 42 , i believe with 6 years of a wait even if it was only 4, sakurai's team could figure out how to make characters unique and elements like final smashes and footstooling really help with balancing.
and there is always the mystery character.

THIS IS ONLY MY OPINION

I.T.P

Smash Ace
isn't that a duplicate from a post you made in another page?
btw, if you count zelda and shiek as separate characters, than you should count squirtle,Ivysaur and Charizard as separate characters as well. meaning brawl allready has 20 confirmed characters.

GDhunter95

Smash Apprentice
GDHunter95 said:
And what the hell is the TP franchise?
*Cough*

Twilight Princess

*Cough*

Oookay, yeah, I thought that was probably what you meant, but I didn't really want to believe someone actually thinks the name of one game in the series ought to be the name of the franchise.

Also, it's my opinion. I don't like WW Link, Geno, and Dedede. I'd rather have put Demile, Issac, and Sukapon. I know that list is your opinion because you didn't just grab the top choices otherwise you would have put Takamaru rather then Lucas.

At ITP

Nice list...sorry I didn't see it before. Too much Starfox tho.

At Chrisiscool.

Nice re-post. Didn't even bother to fix the typo.

Everything looks nice and neat when you write it out on paper. Real life rarely works that way. You can have more time, more money, more napower, and still end up doing less. There's a lot of work to be done and not all of it is related to making new characters. They also need to make new items, stages, and bonus features. They need to get all the old characters updated for the new game. and most importantly they need to balance and bug test each and every thing in relation to each and every other thing. This is probably the most complicated part because adding even one thing radically multiplies the number of things that needs to be looked at.

I.T.P

Smash Ace
how come 4 starfox characters is "too much starfox" while 4 zelda characters, over 4 mario characters and 4 pokemon characters are ok?

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
Because a) Star Fox isn't as well established as the Mario or Zelda franchises and b) all of the characters would basically be the same. With Pokémon, you have to keep in mind that they're picking 4 characters out of about 46,000, so it's not as bad.

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master

Oookay, yeah, I thought that was probably what you meant, but I didn't really want to believe someone actually thinks the name of one game in the series ought to be the name of the franchise.

Also, it's my opinion. I don't like WW Link, Geno, and Dedede. I'd rather have put Demile, Issac, and Sukapon. I know that list is your opinion because you didn't just grab the top choices otherwise you would have put Takamaru rather then Lucas.
I missed Takamaru cause I didn't know who he was, so you can add him if you like, that just makes another character to the roster.

I don't even know who Geno is.

And I heard that PT came 12th in the poll, so anyone above him is in.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
And I heard that PT came 12th in the poll, so anyone above him is in.
That's not true.

If I remember seeing Melee's poll right, there where some characters down the line that made it in, but not everybody above them made it in.

The whole "1 character per week" might just be disproved tonight. It all depends on whether we get a character or not.

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
Because a) Star Fox isn't as well established as the Mario or Zelda franchises and b) all of the characters would basically be the same. With Pokémon, you have to keep in mind that they're picking 4 characters out of about 46,000, so it's not as bad.
For Pokemon they'll have atleast 5, 6 is what I think.

But yeah, atleast 5, seeing as though it's a multi-billion dollar franchise.

Top Bottom