• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

1 new character per week equals....

Empy

Smash Ace
Zoetermeer, The Netherlands (it ain't much, if it
1. Not everyone will return.
2. We might not know all the characters before the release.
3. Why would anyone wanne have 50 chars, it was hard to balance melee with 25 (/26 with sheik), I'm more happy with 30 perfectly balanced chars which can all compete at tourneys, that sounds way more impressive then just bashing 50 chars in.
4. We might get more of these boss updates instead of playable chars.

Novaya_Russia

Smash Cadet
I'm imagining the Dojo won't put up unlockables until after the Japanese release. The reason the starter characters are coming in so fast is because there's likely to be a playable demo somewhere soon and Sakurai would logically want to reveal them while it's still his scoop.

Novaya_Russia

Smash Cadet
Oh really now?

I don't mean a playable demo available to the public. I mean, at some point in the near future, the press will be allowed a hands-on experience. Considering also that it was said Brawl would be at an event before its release, it's almost a lock.

If, somehow, you still don't think anyone will get a hands on impression of Brawl, type in "hands on impression Melee" into Google and see what you get. This IGN article comes to mind.

Mandalore

Smash Apprentice
I don't know why people care about s lot of characters, it's not like you'll be maining them all. I'd rather have less characters with VERY detailed movesets like in Tekken, then 50 characters with movesets like Melee.
I don't think that's possible. Maybe if Y and X became moves instead of jumps, then it probably might make it more realistic to have as many attacks as Tekken. I highly doubt they would have combos like Tekken.

I think the imbalance of characters is what makes the game so fun- overcoming others using characters everyone thinks is horrible. It's fun beating my brother's Sheik with Mewtwo.

Empy

Smash Ace
Zoetermeer, The Netherlands (it ain't much, if it
Oh really now?

I don't mean a playable demo available to the public. I mean, at some point in the near future, the press will be allowed a hands-on experience. Considering also that it was said Brawl would be at an event before its release, it's almost a lock.

If, somehow, you still don't think anyone will get a hands on impression of Brawl, type in "hands on impression Melee" into Google and see what you get. This IGN article comes to mind.
I never said anything about a hands on and it is something completely different then a playable demo. Also, the hands on have nothing to do with the speed of characters announced on the Dojo like you suggested, or if Sakurai willl reveal all hidden characters before the games release.

Nybb

Smash Journeyman
50+ characters is ridiculous in my opinion. Balance couldn't touch a 50-character Smash with a ten-foot pole. As others have said, less characters (mid thirties) + balance > 50+ characters just cause it will be cool for a few minutes.

25 melee characters - 6 clones = 19 original characters (minus a couple others that might get the axe). Going up to 40 originals is already a high expectation as that would result in more than doubling the roster. While 40 seems like a good number to me, it seems a bit odd to expect so many more when Brawl has been in production for less time than Melee.

I.T.P

Smash Ace
i would be perfectly satisfied with 30-35 characters, that's enough in my opinion. and pleas god, no more non-nintendo characters! snake is enough!

this is my wish list:
1.pit
2.wario
3.ZSS
4.Ike
5.PT
6.Diddy
7.Pikachu
8.Link
9.Mario
10.Kirby
11.Samus
12.Fox
13.Bowser
14.Peach
15.Yoshi
16.Zelda
17.Donkey Kong
18*.Meta Knight
19*.Solid Snake
thats the confirmed ones, i'm hoping for
20.krystal
21.Wolf O'Donnel
22.Falco
23.MP Hunters Character\Marine Soldier(their design is too cool!)
24.Tom Nook(thats 99% likely in my opinion)
25.Ness
26.any Mother 2\Mother 3 Character
27.Marth
28.Black Bull\shadow\whatever he's called(from F-Zero)
29.Gannondorf(he can't be out)
30.Luigi(same as above)
31.New Pokemon Character(Please have someone normal)
32.Mr. Game and Watch(he deserves to return)
33.Ephraim\Lyn\Hector(though i know the chances are slim)
34.the new F-zero Hero character from the anime\falcon densetsu.
35.Jigglypuff

this'll be more than enough IMO. dr. mario,ICs,Y.link,Pichu,Mewtwo and roy need to be out.

Florida

イーグランツ
25 characters were in Melee (excluding Sheik). Sakurai confirmed that not every character will be making the cut this time, so I'm going to make a guess and say that most of the clones will be cut out (dr. mario, young link, pichu, roy, falco). That brings us down to 20 characters that will return from Melee. So far, we have 6 confirmed newcomers for Brawl (excluding metaknight and snake), that gives us 26. 15 more weeks of updates before the release date, which most likely means 15 more characters, 31 in total (assuming Sakurai gives us at least one character each week as he has been doing).

Sakurai stated that he would not confirm any unlockable characters on the DOJO until after the game has been released. There were 11 unlockable characters in Melee, so I think it's safe to say that's the minimum amount of unlockable characters that we will receive in Brawl, and there could be more. So, that gives us a thought-out guess of 42 characters appearing in Brawl total, which seems about right.

Chrisiscool

Smash Apprentice
25 characters were in Melee (excluding Sheik). Sakurai confirmed that not every character will be making the cut this time, so I'm going to make a guess and say that most of the clones will be cut out (dr. mario, young link, pichu, roy, falco). That brings us down to 20 characters that will return from Melee. So far, we have 6 confirmed newcomers for Brawl (excluding metaknight and snake), that gives us 26. 15 more weeks of updates before the release date, which most likely means 15 more characters, 31 in total (assuming Sakurai gives us at least one character each week as he has been doing).

Sakurai stated that he would not confirm any unlockable characters on the DOJO until after the game has been released. There were 11 unlockable characters in Melee, so I think it's safe to say that's the minimum amount of unlockable characters that we will receive in Brawl, and there could be more. So, that gives us a thought-out guess of 42 characters appearing in Brawl total, which seems about right.
finally sum1 smart. thank you for making perfect sense. i still belive 42 minus third parties. 3 third parties. = 45 playable characters. so the character select screen will have 5 rows of 9. =] i believe they can balance 45 characters movesets. this is a sequel to one of the greatest games of all time. they will not let this game be a let down.

Keku

Smash Apprentice
He did not. He just said that he'd rather reveal all the characters himself, rather than let random fanboys shout "***** CONFIRMEDZ FOR BRAWL". However, he did not make it clear when he will reveal them.

Sculelos

Smash Journeyman
50+ characters is ridiculous in my opinion. Balance couldn't touch a 50-character Smash with a ten-foot pole. As others have said, less characters (mid thirties) + balance > 50+ characters just cause it will be cool for a few minutes.

25 melee characters - 6 clones = 19 original characters (minus a couple others that might get the axe). Going up to 40 originals is already a high expectation as that would result in more than doubling the roster. While 40 seems like a good number to me, it seems a bit odd to expect so many more when Brawl has been in production for less time than Melee.
Eh, Brawl has a much larger team then Melee's, I think they worked on melee for 19 months, brawl has already been in the works since October 2005 so they have been working on it for 22 months already and still have 3 more to go.

But even with the added time I still only expect 35-40 chars to make it into Brawl, which will still be a big improvement over Melee.

cccck

Smash Journeyman
And think of it this way...
we had got two updates on one day, (music and Yoshi's FS)

TheSpindoctor

Smash Journeyman
We got 2 character confirmations last week: Pokémon Trainer and Peach. Oh, and Sakurai said that he wouldn't post unlockable characters before the game comes out (he did the same thing for Melee).
Yeah but does peach even count as a confirmation, its really just filler because we all knew she was gonna be in the game (at least I did).

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Yeah but does peach even count as a confirmation, its really just filler because we all knew she was gonna be in the game (at least I did).
Well, if you don't count Peach, then you must not count Zelda, Bowser, DK, . . . basically there would be several weeks that technically don't have characters that "count" as confirmations at all.

Veteran or not, a character update is a character update.

M.K

Level 55
Great logic everyone, but who says that all the characters will be revealed on the website with 15 weeks left?

I'm hoping high 30's, low 40's....I mean, they've had like 4 years on this game already...

BTW: Completely off topic, but can someone point me to place with the tier list in SSBM. Thanks!

SpitFire15

Smash Ace
34-36 characters would suck.

That would be a complete waste of two (and a half?) years of making this game. They can do far better than that.

Sakurai will make sure there are more than that, he wants his fans to be happy.
To be honest, I'd be satisfied with just 36.

I don't care about the size of the roster as long as there's a good balance; something Melee lacked.

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
Copies from other topic:

I disagree. We know of 19 characters just now. Say they add everyone from Melee except for 5 of the clones (Ganon is included, as he's bound to return with a different moveset).

That makes:

29 characters. Now add the ones that we're pretty sure will be playable:

King Dedede
Geno
Ridley
Captain Olimar
Krystal
WW Link
Lucas
(These were some of the top voted for characters on Sakurai's poll)

That makes:

36 characters. Now add the currently unknown AC character and two third party characters:

That makes, 39 characters. Now add another one from the Pokemon, FE, F-Zero and TP franchise, and that makes 43 characters.

43 Characters

And that was me keeping the list down to a minimum. There are MANY more that I missed out, AND I didn't even note the fact that there is going to be atleast 18 different franchises.. Or the fact that this is possibly his last game ever.

Do you really think there are only going to be 9 new characters??

Chrisiscool

Smash Apprentice
excactly Pluvia, these dumb conservative smashers are so rediculous. there so scared to see more characters. 12 new characters would be perfect for them. idk wat the hell is going on in their head but this is a new generation. there will be around 45 characters. and they will all be balanced. these stupid conservative gamefreaks underestemate sakurai and his team. they will be amazed when the game comes out and blows there tiny expectations away

tstumo

Smash Journeyman
omg some people in here are so dumb. seriously.I been reading and had to reply to the riduculousness. a game having less than 45 characters doesnt take away anything from the game. what takes away from a game is gameplay that sucks,horrible graphics and lack of content. Brawl seems to have all of those things checked out fine. your so obsessed over having a ton of characters just because......... it's the new generation ? .... ok. anybody with a brain knows it wil be between 34-37 characters. with you or anyone else that thinks there will be a gazillion characters is wishful thinking on your part.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
excactly Pluvia, these dumb conservative smashers are so rediculous. there so scared to see more characters. 12 new characters would be perfect for them. idk wat the hell is going on in their head but this is a new generation. there will be around 45 characters. and they will all be balanced. these stupid conservative gamefreaks underestemate sakurai and his team. they will be amazed when the game comes out and blows there tiny expectations away
You seem to be under the delusion that some people WANT less characters. If this is the case, then I'm afraid you'd be the one who's being ridiculous my friend.

The fact of the matter is, you're being greedy. Would 45+ characters be nice? Of course. But do you not realize how many characters that really is?

I mean, sure, if you look at Pluvia's post, it seems small because you see that small number of newcomers. But you don't seem to be giving all the returning characters enough credit. 40 characters to choose from gives you a HUGE variety. And it's okay to stick to a veteran if you don't like any of the newcomers much.

Stop limiting yourself to looking at the number of newcomers and look at the BIG PICTURE. There are only 17 characters on the Dojo right now, and there are already several promising faces in the list. Even getting only 20 more characters than that would be giving us an extremely varied roster. The more characters, the merrier, but if you start inflating the numbers too much, then you're just asking for ****ty characters.

Don't start insulting people who are looking at the roster a little more realistically than you are. There's no reason to call people stupid or ridiculous just because they're not being as greedy as yourself.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
I'll just say, that its safe to say that we'll have more than 33 if we continue to get 1 per week. I'm sure they won't let them all go out.

-Onyx

Smash Ace
exactly wat i joined smashboards for. to tell people that there will be 17 new unlockables.
and 27 returning. all i have to say is that this isnt disappointing at all. we want more. and thats wat we'll get. 100%.
ive been write so far about petey pirhanna and diddy kong bieng in brawl, and an animal crossing charcter too. (yes there will be one because if you look at the animal crossing music update you can see the hint implied with the quote.... "heroes arrive late" wtf character = mr ressetti. so u should believe this list.
1.ridley
2.baby mario riding yoshi.
3.bowser jr.
4. king k rool
5. diddy kong
6. King dedede
7. Birdo
8. toad/ petey
9. captain olimar
10. krystal
11. mr ressetti
12. lyn
13. wolf
14. megaman
15. sonic
16. tingle
17. ??? unexpected... perhaps 2D mario, or PT2

argue this list....
That list sucks, with the grand exception of Krystal, Lyn and Wolf.
I guess Ridley is okay too, and those who are already confirmed.

33 charcters are going to be revealed before the game comes out, and the other 5-10 or so will be revealed after.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
15 more characters in the total roster..... disappointing?

in addition to the already confirmed 18 chars taht brings it to 33, which is consciderably more than melee

thoughts?
Don't be so pessimistic bro. Don't jinx it! I really want the character roster to be epic, something around 40 to 50 characters.

And besides, maybe they're might be a week where Sakurai ups the anty and adds 3 or 4 characters a week. Anything could happen.

Croco

Smash Lord
Maybe the the characters he is revealing every week are starters?
Soooo maybe there are 14+ characters that are starters we haven't seen yet.

Characters like Luigi, Mewtwo, Meta Knight, Snake, and Jigglypuff might turn out to be unloackables.. so that might be why we have not seen them yet.

lumpey

Smash Rookie
the characters that are on most peoples wishlists, and unfortunately wont be playable, will prolly come out as assist figure, i think...yea, dont forget assist figures lol...

as for playable chars, i'd say from 34 to 40...above 40 is a bit too much...

Chrisiscool

Smash Apprentice
circus.... take a seconfd to re-read what you said

You seem to be under the delusion that some people WANT less characters. If this is the case, then I'm afraid you'd be the one who's being ridiculous my friend.

The fact of the matter is, you're being greedy. Would 45+ characters be nice? Of course. But do you not realize how many characters that really is?

I mean, sure, if you look at Pluvia's post, it seems small because you see that small number of newcomers. But you don't seem to be giving all the returning characters enough credit. 40 characters to choose from gives you a HUGE variety. And it's okay to stick to a veteran if you don't like any of the newcomers much.

Stop limiting yourself to looking at the number of newcomers and look at the BIG PICTURE. There are only 17 characters on the Dojo right now, and there are already several promising faces in the list. Even getting only 20 more characters than that would be giving us an extremely varied roster. The more characters, the merrier, but if you start inflating the numbers too much, then you're just asking for ****ty characters.

Don't start insulting people who are looking at the roster a little more realistically than you are. There's no reason to call people stupid or ridiculous just because they're not being as greedy as yourself.
i really was giving thought to what you were talking about..... but then you wrote= "even getting 20 more charcters would be giving us an exremely valid roster." i relized with this that you dont really pay attention to what your writing about because lets just say so far theres a garunteed 26 charcters with a few taken off from melee and a few added on. then you add 20 like you previously stated....... 46...... and isnt that what i was talking about.... so....im not greedy... we said the same stuff, the only difference is you tried to make me look like a fool when you pretty much yourself said that 20 more characters to what is already confirmed would give us a valid roster... and isnt that what i was saying??? so u kinda just proved my point more. there will be 20 more characters.
now i would like to debate this with sum1 who doesnt make himself look bad by trying to flame other people and failing brutally..
any1 else ??

GDhunter95

Smash Apprentice
King Dedede
Geno
Ridley
Captain Olimar
Krystal
WW Link
Lucas
(These were some of the top voted for characters on Sakurai's poll)

Now add the currently unknown AC character and two third party characters:

Now add another one from the Pokemon, FE, F-Zero and TP franchise,

Do you really think there are only going to be 9 new characters??
Sort of. I expect about 15, which would mean there would be 9 or 10 more new characters to be revealed on the site. Which would be more then the amount they added to melee or the original for that matter. I also expect Sakurai to axe the clones. So 25-6+15 = 34, but i'll gladly take 40 with or without clones. I think anything more then that is being unreasonable though.

I don't agree with WWLink, Geno, and Dedede, but that's just my opinion.

and what the hell is TP Franchise?

lets just say so far theres a garunteed 26 charcters with a few taken off from melee and a few added on. then you add 20 like you previously stated......46
I think you need a second to re-read it.

Nothing Rhymes with Circus said:
There are only 17 characters on the Dojo right now, and there are already several promising faces in the list. Even getting only 20 more characters than that would be giving us an extremely varied roster.

He wins you fail.

nuro

Smash Lord
stupid....

ssb64 had 12 characters ssbm doubled that by making 24 why do so many think there will be so few for brawl? The least they would do is add 12 more making it around like 37 but they could always add a few more since there seems to be more focus on characters this time. not only do they need to add more nintendo allstars to the fray but there are still the 3rd parties. they said at least 1-2 more thirdparties. look at the franchises in melee that were begging for more characters in melee. metroid, eb, starfox, fzero etc

it all depends on how their plans fall into place in the end tho. but some key notes is that they have had more time to work on this than melee. although im not sure how much time they waste by making the SE or other random things.

btw this si not including transformation characters ie sheik

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
I'm personally going for 40 characters total. 45 could definitely work, but 50 is probably going overboard, and anything beyond that is ridiculous.

It'll probably get tedious having to beat the game with every character on every mode. We now there's an Adventure Mode, Classic Mode is likely coming back, and we'll probably get All-Star as well, along with a new fourth mode, maybe. And that's not counting the Mini-Games, which I'm pretty sure we'll be getting. This is an issue only if you're a completist, something I'm positive 98% of the people in this board are.

Speaking of Mini-Games, I hope we get at least one confirmation soon. I really, REALLY hope Break The Targets doesn't get shafted.

any1 else ??
No.

Chrisiscool

Smash Apprentice
Circus is arguing with a 6 year old.
drake only quotes people and doesnt say anything else because theres nothing to say. dumb noob
this thread is a debate over the number of characters. go qoute idiots sumwere else.

unless you can tell me why there will be less than 43-45 characters.
then we might have sumthing worth talking about

Top Bottom