• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

1/30 Syracuse Smash Round 2 !!! Snakee & RaynEX!!!

cornxnuts

Smash Apprentice
SUNY Binghamton / Suffolk County, New York
@Mikeomak - As dudu said, i have a full car, but if you do manage to get a ride, I know another person that may be interested in going up, so let me know! Also, I know like 10 ppl that play brawl on campus, give me a msg on AIM or something. (Although I may not be on for a couple of days due to technical issues from my computer)

Kantō

Smash Champion
hahaha

well, just so u guys know a possible last minute venue change may happen, but dont panic!

due to the number o people expecting to show, the current venue may be too small.
sooooooooo, we might get the old venue again, i have to cal and confirm on tuesday.

THINGS THAT SHOULD BE KNOW IF THIS HAPPPENS-

-venue fee will be back up to $10, sry guys but thats how its gunna have to be for this place.
-you wont have to find the new venue! simply go to the same one that Syracuse Smash 1 was!

so yea, thats whats goin on as on now....

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
That's if we get these numbers, I don't remember getting around 60 or more people at the biggest rochester tournaments I've went to. I don't know if we will actually pull all these people, but if we do it'd be sick.

And the original venue is sweet as hell there was a lot of room and tons of table space

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
Well if we do get the numbers we estimate and the venue is changed and the fee is 10$... that's a lot of venue fee. The overflow goes into the pot right? I don't see how a $5 venue fee won't suffice. Was it $10 last time? WE're going to have like three times as many people.

Mikeomak

Smash Cadet
So do people have to tell you they are coming ahead of time, cuz i wont know till the last few days along with a few others i will possibly bring. Is just showing up and registering at the door fine?

Kantō

Smash Champion
if the venue is changed, the fee will be 10$.

sry guys, its an expensive place to rent out for just 1 day. i didnt make any money last time and im not going to this time. there are other things that i get for the tourney with that money, like the rafle prizes, food and drinks, equiptment and simply time.

putting together a tourney isnt a ton of "work" but it does take a lot of things in consideration to actually pull off. 10$ isnt a lot of money, and i dont think its asking too much from you guys.

on a side note, i will have reduced fees for FULL SET UP bringers, this includes all of : a TV, a Wii or Gamecube, 1 copy of eather game. if you guys bring a full set up ill cut your fee to back to $5. also you will recieve 3 raffle tickets for our raffle prizes (3 Gamestop giftcards at different values) along with your free ticket when you pay venue upon arrival.

i think everything i just posted is entirly fair and hope you guys all agree, keep in mind that i do this for all of us, for the community, not just for my fun or for money purposes. i wouldnt be able to run these tourneys without you guys.

Kantō

Smash Champion
So do people have to tell you they are coming ahead of time, cuz i wont know till the last few days along with a few others i will possibly bring. Is just showing up and registering at the door fine?
yes,
you can just show up informally, this is completly fine.

see ya there!:chuckle:

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
10 bucks is not too much to spend for the 1st venue.

10 bucks is too much to spend for the first venue when theres only a dozen people entering each tournament.

see the difference?

stop complaining. theres going to be enough people for 10 dollar venue to be worth it, and to all people that might have problems with bry making a profit off of this tournament.

shut the hell up and sit down.

if the venue is really that big a deal, just do what ima do and money match him at the tourney. =P thatll get your money back witht he quickness. well, for me anyway...

Acton

Smash Journeyman
Simple: Bring a setup if you can.

I'm bringing one Bry, so put me down on the list

Looking forward to seeing you at the smashfest tomorrow. =P

altairian

Smash Lord
The availability of food and drink for a reasonable price at the venue made the extra venue fee more than worth it to me at SS1. That rochester venue was nice but "lolnofoodordrinkexceptouroverpriced****" was pretty lame. Tourneys take a long time. We gotta nourish ourselves :p

ps bry that pizza was awesome last time, if you do get that venue get that pizza again ;)

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
I am nowhere near financially stable and literally five more dollars can decide a trip for me. Luckily I plan on winning at least one event so I don't care this time but this sort of **** should not continue. Venue fee's are not a way for a TO to earn income. This happens all too much in this community. I am not accusing you bry I am just saying with all this attention from out of state players and if all the registrants come through (this is unlikely but it is a possibility) we could be pulling around 70 players. There's no way for a single day the venue costs $700 dollars. The cost of gift cards and pizza probably wouldn't make up the difference either.

I'm just saying I don't want 70 of our players to be played for fools considering a lot of them know they aren't going to win ****.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
ANY overflow should

1. go to increasing the pot
2. increasing the places payed out, up to fifth

People have always gotten food outside the venue at tons of tournaments, it's almost tradition and a huge part of the community. Taking those trips to whatever destination and hanging out. Although it is cool that you are supplying it at the venue it's not something that traditionally warrants the venue fee cost being used. Same with a raffle.

Again bry I don't want you to take any of this the wrong way I greatly appreciate that you're running these tournaments and have been nice with the melee community but we've had tournaments a lot longer and there are some things that really irk me.

Kantō

Smash Champion
mana, if u really cant afford the extra 5 bux, bring a setup.

and just a point,

im not even sure if we are doing this at the old venue yet, so all of this isnt confirmed. everyone stop freaking out, its an xtra 5 bux.

really.....? if ya cant afford it, bring a setup, Bam! venue fee is back to what it was, Ta-Da....

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
That's not the issue at all. That's a minor inconvenience of myself. The rest of it, which you sidestepped, is the issue.

The point of a tournament is the tournament. Not to reimburse for time put into it by the TO or staff, not for raffles, not for gift cards, not for foodstuff. It should cover the cost of the venue itself and any rentals that relate to the tournament experience, chairs, tables, TV's, power strips, whatever. There's a lot of potential money involved at this tournament and the amount going into the venue fee and other unnecessary expenses (that fit better at some social event as opposed to a tournament) is going to be extremely high. Instead that money should be given to give a better payout spread and better payout. True incentive for TOURNAMENTS. That's how it's always been done.

And I was assuming it was a good possibility that the venue was changing. I'm totally fine with it not changing. I just thought the steps were already in place to secure the old venue. And if they are this talk is relevant and it still is to any venue.

Kantō

Smash Champion
listen i dont want any hard fellings about this, IM NOT TRYING TO MAKE NONEY OF OF YOU GUYS. the simple fact is that the better the venue, the more it is gunna cost. i dont wanna be mean about this, or come off as being a ****, but this is just how it is gunna have to be for this venue if we get it. end of story.

on another note, see yall at the fest to who ever is comming, ill be there later tonight!

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
I'm sorry of accusing that but you understand where I'm coming from with having it improve the actual tournament right? Expenditures should be tournament related.

I used to be compassionate with money and all it did was get me ****ed. Even from people I've considered family and best friends. And now I'm more broke than I've ever been in all my life and I see none of it come back my way.

cornxnuts

Smash Apprentice
SUNY Binghamton / Suffolk County, New York
I really don't think an extra $5.00 is a big deal. Sure, 10 just sounds like a much bigger number, but you would be registering for at least one event. Typically most people sign up for about 2 events, (For example, I will do brawl singles+doubles, I know others that will do brawl and melee, etc etc) so thats a change from 15 -> 20. Factor in getting some food at the tournament, thats like 22 -> 27. Maybe throw in some gas money. 25 -> 30. The extra 5 dollars becomes less significant. Also im winning brawl singles+doubles, so I am encouraging venue fee overflow into the pot.

Also, you can't expect everyone that is signed up to come, but I'm sure theres plenty of people who didn't sign up but are still going because they don't feel like posting, or because theres still a couple of weeks before the tournament and they haven't seen this thread yet, etc etc. Better to be safe than sorry, I'd rather pay the extra 5 dollars and avoid an unsuitable venue. I remember playing in one of Bum's biweeklies at some really cramped internet cafe basement...someone nearly lost a match because they couldn't hear the announcer call out their name over the crowd. They barely managed to walk from one end of the room to the other in time.

Acton

Smash Journeyman
I can see where mana is coming from, and if I didn't know Bry personally I'd probably be in the same position as Mana is.

But I mean with all the extra things Bry is doing like doing a raffle, perhaps looking into a bigger venue (I looked up the current venue on google earth it looks smallish from space meh) bringing food etc, I think 10 is worth it. I'm sure if there is an overflow in venue Bry will put a lot of it towards the pot or perhaps the raffle. The raffle is cool because most of the ppl attending are not going to win ****.

And if Bry does make a little money off this so what? With this many people coming its going to be hard being a TO.

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord
Also im winning brawl singles+doubles, so I am encouraging venue fee overflow into the pot.
I lol'd hard.

If I have money left, MM?

**** the small venue. Id rather shell out an extra 5 bucks so I don't have to be in a cramped space with 50+ people, god knows how sweaty and warm it'll be. SS1 venue was legit. Pot overflow>pot=good

BTW Im currently on my last 20-30 bucks, 5 of which i believe I owe Alt. Would anyone be interested in purchasing my christmas giftcards off me? I got 25 bucks for applebees and 25 bucks for chilis/maggianos little italy/on the border/macaroni grill. Get at them giftcards.

altairian

Smash Lord
From what I remember from the last syracuse tourney, even with 70 people paying 10 dollar venue, more than half of that would in fact go straight to the cost of just renting the venue. It's not a cheap place, and without a guaranteed turnout, bry really should play it safe on the venue fee and make sure that he's able to cover his costs. Because at the last one, I'm not 100% sure he did.

There's plenty of options for what he can do with excess money from venue fees, most of which have already been listed at least a couple times. I'm sure bry isn't out to make a buck on this, but he shouldn't have to risk spending more than his share of the venue fee. Hell, he could just give everyone a couple bucks back if it turns out he's got way more in the venue fee envelope than he needed :p

One thing I do want to disagree with, is saying tournaments aren't a "social event". 80% of us going purely for the social aspect of the event. I'm not stupid, I know I'm not gonna be making any money at this tournament, I go because it's fun and I'm making a lot of friends in this community where I don't get to see them much, if at all, outside of tournaments. Things like the raffle are interesting for those of us who aren't competing for money. It's not like he's throwing 200 bucks worth of venue fee at the raffle, I think the gift cards at the last tourney totaled like 30 or 40 bucks.

Oh yeah, and food at the venue is SO awesome. Yeah going out for food and chilling with people is great, BUT you really don't have a chance to do that mid tourney, especially if you're competing in all of the events. This is melee and brawl in a single day, the last one went until 11:30 at night with like 15-20 entrants in each event. Going out for food isn't an option unless it's during an event you aren't competing in.

While I'm making a massive post, I might as well make the point now that people better ****ing show up on time, or be **** sure that the tourney is starting without them, no matter who they are. Even if only half the people signed up actually show to this thing, it's gonna be hard as **** to finish 4 events in one day without going stupid late. Don't be that guy.

Top Bottom