• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

1/10/09 - Game Table, Mineola NY

cornxnuts

Smash Apprentice
SUNY Binghamton / Suffolk County, New York
I suppose I can go to this, hopefully by the 10th the prices will have gone down some more. Either that or i scrape together some money. I may even bring a setup. 20 inch CRT ftw. The Stony Brook vs Hofstra thing...I don't go to SBU, but if allowed I'll represent some SUNY brothers. (Word from Binghamton)

Anyway I've never heard anything about SBU smashers, only that my friend who goes there tells me about crappy scrubs who play at the SAC.

Vanill4

Smash Cadet
Anyway I've never heard anything about SBU smashers, only that my friend who goes there tells me about crappy scrubs who play at the SAC.
Yeah, crappy scrubs do play at the SAC. The anime club tourneys usually get a decent turnout in terms of good players from campus, and we play a lot in our dorms.

Anyway for crews, I hope we can do Melee and not just Brawl, and if time/other constraints limit us to one game for a crew battle, it should be Melee IMO.

ch33s3

Smash Lord
The tentative time schedule is that we start at 1, with registration at 12. I can't get in touch with the owner, I've been trying for weeks, so I'm really just waiting on him.

DaiAndOh

Smash Ace
Yeah, crappy scrubs do play at the SAC. The anime club tourneys usually get a decent turnout in terms of good players from campus, and we play a lot in our dorms.

Anyway for crews, I hope we can do Melee and not just Brawl, and if time/other constraints limit us to one game for a crew battle, it should be Melee IMO.
If you want to lose worse, go right ahead ^_^, but then again, our melee people are much more wild cards to show up....

Ryan-K

Smash Master
i would like to play for hofstra before the next school year starts seeing as how i have a huge history with hofstra players :bee:

Ryan-K

Smash Master
Look, let me make this absolutely clear.

I'm not talking about the people who regularly attend tournaments, I'm talking about because of how spread out and generally inaccessible LI is, it's difficult for people to initially get involved in the tournament scene, which means a lot of talented people just play with
other talented people at SBU. It happens, that's life.

getting involved = going to a tournament

No Johns for myself, I'm not a regular because I've got other priorities, and other people already inducted into the tournament scene (aka, the others on the thread) do attend tournaments have their own reasons. Once you're they're, it's not too bad.

?__? still wondering what's so hard, all it is is going to a tournament and playing

It's GETTING INVOLVED, THAT'S the issue, and SBU just happens to be one of the worst areas to get involved in this. Part of it might just be disorganization, but the city is far better. Simple example, before this break, anything smash-related I did either at school, or in the city.

that's kind of your fault considering people live in much worse areas on LI and I live like 15 minutes from stony brook and got involved when i was like 14, it's not hard at all

Yeah, it happens. Granted the people who do attend tournaments already should be attending more tournaments and should be encouraging more people to go, but that doesn't change the fact that there are signifigant barriers for new players. Suburbia sucks.

no there isn't a big barrier at all, look at malcolm, godot, anti, patsie, dabuz, pd, will etc. all they do is show up and they are involved. you don't have to do anything aside from have a name and play. i understand people don't show up to tournies but stop making **** up it's really annoying

Leacero

Smash Lord
i would like to play for hofstra before the next school year starts seeing as how i have a huge history with hofstra players :bee:
Hey! No tagging along with a college that you don't go to! This goes for the Hofstra alumni too!!

You, HBK, and Reno (did they go to Hofstra? I'm not even sure) on the team would destroy us. =P

DaiAndOh

Smash Ace
Hey! No tagging along with a college that you don't go to! This goes for the Hofstra alumni too!!

You, HBK, and Reno (did they go to Hofstra? I'm not even sure) on the team would destroy us. =P
Yeah they did.

And Ryan can join us. If you got players who regularly come to your school to play, they can join your crew.

Heart Break Kid

Smash Lord
Both me and Reno still go to Hofstra. We just dnt visit the gameroom anymore because its mainly brawl. And if we told people where we stayed on campus they'd be knocking at our doors 24/7 for melee training :) Just ask Mike or like Hazz.

So no johns about us playing in the crew battle. We beat farmingdale aka Godot's wack *** school by like 200 stock(and we were short Malcolm and Hazz) and it wnt be any different when we play stony brook.

I cnt speak on behalf of brawl but I'm confident if you gave Malcolm as many stock as the entire Stony Brook crew he'd beat you pretty easily.

Lmao between like me, Reno, Hazz and G$ I'd be willing to MM any school crew in melee in the US

Alejandro also got ***** because he decided to play for farmingdale

Leacero

Smash Lord
Yeah they did.

And Ryan can join us. If you got players who regularly come to your school to play, they can join your crew.
Nah, outsiders don't think Stony Brook is worth coming to play at. But if you feel that you need outside talent to compete, feel free then :).

Both me and Reno still go to Hofstra. We just dnt visit the gameroom anymore because its mainly brawl. And if we told people where we stayed on campus they'd be knocking at our doors 24/7 for melee training :) Just ask Mike or like Hazz.

So no johns about us playing in the crew battle. We beat farmingdale aka Godot's wack *** school by like 200 stock(and we were short Malcolm and Hazz) and it wnt be any different when we play stony brook.

I cnt speak on behalf of brawl but I'm confident if you gave Malcolm as many stock as the entire Stony Brook crew he'd beat you pretty easily.

Lmao between like me, Reno, Hazz and G$ I'd be willing to MM any school crew in melee in the US

AW SNAP! Now I know we're gonna get destroyed. But I'll still play, just for the experience. :D

DaiAndOh

Smash Ace

Remember we beat Farmingdale without you or Reno needing to play.

doowop

Smash Apprentice
Ok I officially need a teammate for this tourn. Don't make me have to team with a lvl 9 cpu Luigi :(

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Oddly enough, looking for a melee teammate myself, but not sure if the spot will get filled or not soon.

Ok, you're still missing the point, but this has moved so far off what I was trying to explain that it's not worth discussing anymore.

I was simply trying to explain that Stony might have more talent then it has shone, and explaining why.

I was not trying to excuse the lack of talent shown (again, no Johns), all that really matters is what we have shown, regardless of the reasons behind said talent not being shown. All that really matters is what was shown.

And regardless of the actual state of the Stony Smash scene, good natured pokes at your rival school are acceptable, no matter whether they are true or false. It's sort of the nature of school spirit interacting with a target.

PS. Hopefully this lack of participation will be corrected, I'm hoping to get weeklies started at the school (which may or may not happen depending on how receptive the administration is to the idea) which will definitely help if they happen. The stony brook community in general is also encouraging more players to get into the competitive end. But for now things are as they are.

We'll win anyway!

Privately: ****, we're gonna get wrecked, oh well, there's always Brawl

G$ spends more time at Hofstra than like 75% of fully registered students. So he counts no johns lol
Really I'd prefer official SBU students vs. official Hofstra students (not a Hofstra student, no Johns), but whatever, if everyone agrees that people from outside can assist, it's cool.

MalcolmM

Smash Lord
godot goes to hofstra. as does hbk reno and i. g$ is registering for a winter class so hes legit as well. hazz attends as well. ryan takes an art class on tuesdays so hes legit as well. get *****.

DaiAndOh

Smash Ace
I'm so confused right now, does Godot go to Hofstra or not? I'm seeing two different responses here. o_O
Don't look for excuses to dig yourself out of the hole you're in.
And don't even think about smash 64, that's probably a worse idea

SpicierMooMoo

Smash Cadet
Iunno wats goin but.. I will def play brawl for sbu because everyone at sbu hates brawl because theyre babies.

and i will also play melee if theres some sbu vs w/e college thing on ..

also leacero and vannil4 both smell like frumunda cheese. that is all

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Oh no you didn't. I will take on both schools by myself in smash 64.
Wait, 64 is involved now?

Gotta get DJ in on this.

You guys want me to bring my N64 and smash 64?

I really don't care if we win or lose anymore, this'll be just awesome

Iunno wats goin but.. I will def play brawl for sbu because everyone at sbu hates brawl because theyre babies.

Not true, plenty of us play brawl. Just not them.

Lol, right now it looks like melee, brawl, and perhaps 64 will be involved.

I approve.

Leacero

Smash Lord
Don't look for excuses to dig yourself out of the hole you're in.
Dude, I don't even know how the post you quoted would even relate to us "trying to dig ourselves out." Make sense more. HBK says Godot goes to Farmingdale, yet MalcolmM says he goes to Hofstra, I think that my question was a legit one.

We're still gonna play, and we never even considered backing out, we just don't expect to win. =P At least, not against the big names. ;)

If frumunda cheese is a synonym for sexy, then yes! :) (Sry I forgot to invite you Brian. <3)

MalcolmM

Smash Lord
cheese what are the rules on character selection at this tournament? are any characters banned (mainly sonic or metaknight) because me and my friends kind of have a soft ban on those 2 so im just wondering.

Fyist

Smash Journeyman
Ahemm... SCCC> Stony Brook and Hofstra goooooo communtiy college!

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
cheese what are the rules on character selection at this tournament? are any characters banned (mainly sonic or metaknight) because me and my friends kind of have a soft ban on those 2 so im just wondering.
Why the heck would SONIC be banned?

I understand MK (still stupid), but banning sonic is just ludicrous.

I'm confused, why would you soft ban Sonic, he's not even good.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Rule 1 of the internet: Sarcasm is basically undetectable because somebody already said the exact same thing and meant it. "[/sarcasm]" tags rule

Ok, it's not rule one, but you get my meaning, right?

I take it this refers to the sonic thing, when you see "Ike banned" tournaments, you tend to get cynical in this regard.

I prefer the term "Malcolm's Sonic deserves banning so he has to play a low tier like Wario".
Nice, maybe he can give my bro some tips.

GuruKid

Smash Ace
Hyped for this. Kinda sad face at the crew battle exclusive to those schools, but it's "K".

The tenth can't come any sooner!

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Hyped for this. Kinda sad face at the crew battle exclusive to those schools, but it's "K".

The tenth can't come any sooner!
wow so only schools can play in the crew battle lol LAME.
Lol, there wouldn't have been crew battles if not for the rivalry, it got set up for us.

So it makes sense we're the only groups doing crew battles.

Top Bottom