• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

1/10/09 - Game Table, Mineola NY

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
i think suffolk tends to differ. but there really is no talent on LI.
Gah, not true at all. We just tend to cluster in groups and work to break the game in said groups. Attending tournaments tends to be difficult due to either:

1. Lack of public transportation (hence most tournaments are in the city)
2. Lack of time (most good smashers that I know of are in college)
3. Both

So it's more that LI is a difficult place to show it off then any actual lack of talent.

edit:
we are trying to get alot of the people that play to go gametable on the tenth. thats gonna be funny

our main players are me, DaiAndOh, Malcolm, My friend Nick, and DK as we call him.
Sweet, I'm trying to get as many Stony People to come out as possible so, rivalry resumed?

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I'll be going for Melee if Jesse can get me a ride. =P
This should happen. We should also do teams since some jerk I know is in India.
*poke* Can I get in on this ride? It'd be much easier then a 25 minute walk from mineola.

Regardless, who've we got going besides you guys?

I could use a melee teammate if we have somebody available as well, my bro doesn't have enough melee experience to even remotely qualify, though he's gonna be my Brawl teammate.

Maybe we can get enough people together for a crew battle? Hofstra vs. SBU crew battle would be awesome.

Oh, and Leacero... spam the brawl group with messages about this tournament, please. I'd prefer to not be the only Stony person playing Brawl there (even though it is a worse competitive game).

And yes, he is a jerk for being in India.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
nah dude im sorry hofstra is beast, noone from stony brook stands out lol or has won or done anything consistent except for will

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
nah dude im sorry hofstra is beast, noone from stony brook stands out lol or has won or done anything consistent except for will
Then bring it.

Seriously though, I think a major part of it is Stony's location, it tends to be a lot more isolated from, well EVERYTHING then just about any school around just because it's so far into the Island. Every intercollegiate organization I'm part of has noted this.

So it's quite possible it's more a case of "we keep to ourselves" then "we're not as good". But we'll see.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
i dont go to either school in fact i plan on going to sb LOL

stony brook isn't too far from castle golf though, and will and pd come from the middle of bum**** nowhere to go to tournies and even if ur that far in there is still battlegrounds so no johns

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
No "I can't get rides" johns. I'm 16 and live in the most remote area possible and I still get to tournaments, I've even been to NJ LOL and plan on going to PA and MD/VA in the coming months.

Also you're definitely gonna have to back it up if you're saying you're better than Malcolm and Godot and even Will.

Anyyyyways...yeah I'll try and get the money for this, although I still don't think the prices should be that high. And @ the kid calling me a scrub, mm?

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
stony brook isn't too far from castle golf though, and will and pd come from the middle of bum**** nowhere to go to tournies and even if ur that far in there is still battlegrounds so no johns
God, everything is a John, I'm trying to explain why we mainly keep to ourselves.

Sure there are exceptions, but how many people regularly come from the middle of nowhere to go to tournaments?

No "I can't get rides" johns. I'm 16 and live in the most remote area possible and I still get to tournaments, I've even been to NJ LOL and plan on going to PA and MD/VA in the coming months.
Not even rides, I'm just too busy to go to this stuff, I can get just about anywhere via public transportion. I just takes a lot of time, and not everyone can invest in that. Having a vibrant local scene generally is what encourages you to invest that time.

I could get over to 90% of this stuff if I, missed a lot of school, took off from work a lot, missed several semi-formals, missed a couple of performances, etc.

Really though, I'm not particularly good anyway.

Also you're definitely gonna have to back it up if you're saying you're better than Malcolm and Godot and even Will.
Lol, that was just trash talk, me personally? No way I'm better then them, unless I significantly overestimated them.

But because we're rival schools at everything, I can't actually admit that they're better then us at anything. It's a school pride thing.

My response to this section of your quote didn't happen btw.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
God, everything is a John, I'm trying to explain why we mainly keep to ourselves.

Sure there are exceptions, but how many people regularly come from the middle of nowhere to go to tournaments?
um alot of people do lol

ppl came from THE BRONX last time

will and pd

i live like right near stony brook

eli and doowop live pretty far out

snakee came from staten island all the way out to wherever the hell battlegrounds is

ch33s3

Smash Lord
I fully support and will try to ensure a Hofstra v Stony Brook crew battle. I'm from Stony, so if we want to put together rosters, we can do that.

Vanill4

Smash Cadet
*poke* Can I get in on this ride? It'd be much easier then a 25 minute walk from mineola.
Not sure, heading west then east then west again is a pain. :-/

Regardless, who've we got going besides you guys?
No idea, I'll ask around I guess. Actually, I just spoke to Mike and he's going.

I could use a melee teammate if we have somebody available as well, my bro doesn't have enough melee experience to even remotely qualify, though he's gonna be my Brawl teammate.
I asked Robbin about teaming, so I don't want to break a promise to him. Besides, no one cares about teams except me. :(

Maybe we can get enough people together for a crew battle? Hofstra vs. SBU crew battle would be awesome.
We could try.

Hah, I don't think we'd win a crew battle, but it would be fun to try. Sheesh, I play the game for fun, even if it's at a "competitive" level. The game just happens to be most fun at a high level of play.

i dont go to either school in fact i plan on going to sb LOL

Well, if you come to Stony, you're gonna have to play with us and make us better. :-p And doesn't Castle Golf just do Brawl now? :-/

Ryan-K

Smash Master
cg does both and has always done so

also the only reason im being all grr is because you cant trash talk then say you cant go to tournies lol :bee:

DaiAndOh

Smash Ace
If everyone from Hofstra who is supposed to go goes, then yeah coolies. No many how many go, I'd definitly want to crew battle though.

How could you forget Khanti or Knightmare though Godot? Or of course, NOLAN!

I should warn you, Hofstra is undefeated in crew battles. All one of them :laugh:.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
um alot of people do lol

ppl came from THE BRONX last time

will and pd

i live like right near stony brook

eli and doowop live pretty far out

snakee came from staten island all the way out to wherever the hell battlegrounds is
You're not quite getting what I'm saying.

I'm not talking about this tournament, I'm talking about tournaments in general. LI's tournament scene isn't very vibrant, and a lot of it has to do with *gasp* transportation.

Even Staten Island is more convenient for tournament play then Stony Brook.

I know several times more people then the number you just named that could play in tournaments, but don't because it's too inconvienent, and since the local smash scene isn't vibrant enough to encourage it, they never get the push to get outside the community.

It's just the truth, the more difficult it is to play in tournaments, the fewer people who will do it.

Not sure, heading west then east then west again is a pain. :-/
I was actually thinking that I take the train to mineola station, and get a pick-up from there. It's right nearbye.

I asked Robbin about teaming, so I don't want to break a promise to him. Besides, no one cares about teams except me. :(
More a general question, didn't mean you. I'll ask Mike if he's up for it.

also the only reason im being all grr is because you cant trash talk then say you cant go to tournies lol :bee:
But I'm not saying that I can't go to tournaments, I'm gonna be at this one. It's just rare that I can.

Again, that's WHY I'm trash talking and only in this thread. Cause we're gonna be at this tournament and we're gonna play them (hopefully), how's that wrong?

Oh yeah, how long till you get into stony? More competative smashers is always a plus.

Vanill4

Smash Cadet
cg does both and has always done so

I try to not trash talk, and knowing adumbrodeus, he probably isn't either. Just friendly general "omg its hofstra and stony" crap. And my bad on CG, I guess I missed that or something.

I fully support and will try to ensure a Hofstra v Stony Brook crew battle. I'm from Stony, so if we want to put together rosters, we can do that.
Jeez, and here I was assuming I knew everyone who ever played Smash at Stony. But based on the IC icon, you're either Albert or Sorto? I think? I'm Jesse, and you'd remember me from one of two things (depending on if you're Albert or Sorto). Anyway, hopefully we're talking about a crew battle in Melee because I think we'd have more players for that.

EDIT:
I was actually thinking that I take the train to mineola station, and get a pick-up from there. It's right nearbye.
Yeah, that could work, pending the times and stuff.

ch33s3

Smash Lord
Yea, I'm Albert, and maybe we can do both Melee and Brawl? I don't really play Melee, but I'll play Brawl. Feel free to AIM me, and yes, I know who you are :).

Ryan-K

Smash Master
You're not quite getting what I'm saying.

I'm not talking about this tournament, I'm talking about tournaments in general. LI's tournament scene isn't very vibrant, and a lot of it has to do with *gasp* transportation.

theres one like every week >_>

Even Staten Island is more convenient for tournament play then Stony Brook.

no its not, staten island has like no tournaments, and what i meant was he came FROM staten island to like almost the very eastern reaches of LI, like he went so far in it takes 40 minutes to go from where I am (which is still close to stony brook) to where that place is

I know several times more people then the number you just named that could play in tournaments, but don't because it's too inconvienent, and since the local smash scene isn't vibrant enough to encourage it, they never get the push to get outside the community.

then explain how except for battlegrounds 30 - 40 people show up O_o

ch33s3

Smash Lord
When I speak to the owner of the venue, I'll see if we can get a true crew event to happen!

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
theres one like every week >_>
A tournament every week of 30-40 people is like nothing compared to other areas.

no its not, staten island has like no tournaments, and what i meant was he came FROM staten island to like almost the very eastern reaches of LI, like he went so far in it takes 40 minutes to go from where I am (which is still close to stony brook) to where that place is
I KNOW that Staten Island has no tournaments, HOWEVER, it's got a lot more access to the rest of the city then most of Long Island proper.

That alone gives it more tournament accessibility.

then explain how except for battlegrounds 30 - 40 people show up O_o
Ummm, because many more people would show up if getting to tournaments was easier... I think it's pretty obvious that was what I was getting at.

ANTi_

Smash Hero
This is a fact

when the fees to enter are like 20 bucks and such it makes you want to train hard so you can win money

thats why people have smashfests and training grounds for events like these

Ryan-K

Smash Master
A tournament every week of 30-40 people is like nothing compared to other areas.

md/va and cali are like the only places who get more milage out of weekly tournaments

I KNOW that Staten Island has no tournaments, HOWEVER, it's got a lot more access to the rest of the city then most of Long Island proper.

That alone gives it more tournament accessibility.

yeah but he went from SI to LI, thats way more than stony brook to w/e on LI no johns

Ummm, because many more people would show up if getting to tournaments was easier... I think it's pretty obvious that was what I was getting at.

it's not the tournament organizers fault that people don't plan ahead or are too lazy to put in any effort lol. alot of people have way harder times getting rides and such and live way further out and still come through. 30-40 is really good, you're just spoiled off looking at california brawl or something lol

Leacero

Smash Lord
>_> You two are the only ones who have been debating the Stony Brook transportation issues/tournament participation. I know that Jesse/Anand/Mike/Mark/Rob have been to a couple on their own, and I've been to... two, so it's not like we CAN'T make it. On my part, my lack of participation is mostly the money I have to shell out to enter. I'm a bum, I can't afford this stuff on a weekly basis. No excuses though :p.

In our defense, we went to the GameTable event hosted by KnightMare a while back... just not for Brawl.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
yeah its fine that u dont go to tournies or w/e but exageratting how hard it is to get to places is just dumb considering you guys aren't "that far in" plus castle golf is right near you, i would know i only live like 10 minutes from stony brook

Leacero

Smash Lord
stop whining about transportation and take the lirr to mineola. lord knows how many times ive had to ****ing take the walk from the station to that god forsaken school
*wonders if anyone actually reads what I write*

Not once did any of us complain about transportation. My first post was simply a statement of what conditions I would go under, not that the venue was too far or anything. If anything, it's people whining about the "whining" that has taken this discussion off the deep end. More useless posts have been made about this entire topic when it wasn't even an issue in the first place, so everyone should just get back on topic and talk about the tournament. :)

Actually Jesse, if this is the same place as before, I can probably get there myself if it's a hassle for you. It's like 10 minutes away from me by car. I'll let you know though.

yeah its fine that u dont go to tournies or w/e but exageratting how hard it is to get to places is just dumb considering you guys aren't "that far in" plus castle golf is right near you, i would know i only live like 10 minutes from stony brook
No one is really exaggerating, just Adumbrodeus. (Sorry Matt, but transportation really isn't too big of an issue unless the tournament is, say in PA or something. At that point it's just general group disorganization and laziness and lack of Zach wanting to drive us <3)

DKwill

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3497-1934-6087
Hey so this is the first I have heard of a Stony vs Hofstra crew battle, sounds pretty intriguing. I go to SBU and I'm def gonna be there for this ;p For those of you who haven't seen me post yet on this thread- this is Will, aka Donkey Kong player. lol

EWING

Smash Apprentice
School: Nashville, TN Home: Long Island, NY
yea count me in. except ill be in nashville so hook it up on wifi so i can get off more falcon kicks than jason elam (oh god that was brilliant someone better get it)

except we should hold this is staten island, naturally. since the long island tournament scene cant host multiple tournaments a weekend (= definition of vibrant) then we clearly need to pack up and head to the hotbed of tournament activity in the united states: staten island

Gumshoe

Smash Rookie
Another SBU person here, i'll definitely be able to go to this. the stony vs. hofstra match does sound good, but i'm not sure how far my consistent use of Bowser in Melee is gonna get me lol

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Look, let me make this absolutely clear.

I'm not talking about the people who regularly attend tournaments, I'm talking about because of how spread out and generally inaccessible LI is, it's difficult for people to initially get involved in the tournament scene, which means a lot of talented people just play with other talented people at SBU. It happens, that's life.

No Johns for myself, I'm not a regular because I've got other priorities, and other people already inducted into the tournament scene (aka, the others on the thread) do attend tournaments have their own reasons. Once you're they're, it's not too bad.

It's GETTING INVOLVED, THAT'S the issue, and SBU just happens to be one of the worst areas to get involved in this. Part of it might just be disorganization, but the city is far better. Simple example, before this break, anything smash-related I did either at school, or in the city.

Yeah, it happens. Granted the people who do attend tournaments already should be attending more tournaments and should be encouraging more people to go, but that doesn't change the fact that there are signifigant barriers for new players. Suburbia sucks.

Top Bottom