• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

0 Days US Brawl is Here!!! Free Brawl Desktop Countdown! Updated 2x Daily.

Bakuryu

Smash Ace
I still want one for Vista side bar but this class one might do the trick not sure what I want on it actually if someone can make a glass skin black glass (or its called granent or something) with the black smash brawl logo that would be perfect

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
I still want one for Vista side bar but this class one might do the trick not sure what I want on it actually if someone can make a glass skin black glass (or its called granent or something) with the black smash brawl logo that would be perfect
So you just want a glass theme with a black background? Trying to figure out what to make for you =P.

tennisthehilife

Smash Lord
It's for the middle layer in a program like Photoshop. When you open a back.jpg you paste your background over the current background. Seeing as you will only be able to see a small portion of you background image through the square move the image so that the part you see is the same as where you will be placing the skin. Take the glass model and place it as the middle file.

With the glass model in the center layer like that it will give the illusion that it's a glass theme. On the example I showed you guys all the top layer was is a pic. of sonic and the brawl/wii text with no background. I would make some skins for you guys with it, but I cant not knowing your backgrounds/where you would want them placed. The middle step is really the most I can offer sadly.
Sorry I don't get it. Could you reexplain please? When I figure it out I will put instructions on front.

Are you familiar with Paint.net? Well thats the program I'm using http://www.getpaint.net/
-Would it work?
-Its free but it does still have some PS functionality so maybe it can? It has layers + clone stamp and other stuff.

Does the glass model work by itself? I saved it as JPEG and tried to just use that( w/ no pics on it) but it wasn't tranparent.

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
Ok, so I am going to try and make a better guide to what I did. Seeing as I can't explain anything to save my life I am going to go through every step to make sure I don't fail lol.

Step 1:

Right click on Glass_Model.png and open it with the program Paint.net (any program will work if it has layers and transparancy features I believe but for this example I will be using this program seeing as its free ^^).

Step 2:
Go to edit in the top right and select [Select All]. Now go to edit and sellect [Copy]. In your layers window located in the lower right hand side of your workstation click on [Add New Layer] (hover over icons for functions). Once the new layer is created rename this layer "Glass Model". With layer Glass Model selected go to edit and select [Paste]. This is going to be your middle layer and its the layer that provides your image with a glass look.

Step 3:

Go back to the [Add New Layer] option in your lower right hand layer window. Make 2 new layers renaming layer 3 "Wallpaper" and layer 4 "Skin". Click on the layer titled "Background" and click on [Delete Layer] which is located directly next to the [Add New Layer] option. Click back on layer "Glass Model" and then click on the option [Move Layer Up] making it the center layer.

Step 4:
Now if you have a copy of your desktop wallpaper image this step will go faster, if not your going to need to find one or hide all icons in your desktop and take a screen shot. If you do take a screen shot jump to the next paragraph. Right click on the image and open it with the program Paint.net. Like before go to edit and select [Select All] followed by [Copy]. Now that you have the image copied go to file and select [Close]. Choose don't save when it asks you what to do. Now your back at your first project.

Click on the "Wallpaper" layer followed by going to edit and selecting [Paste]. When it asks you what to do click on "Keep Canvas size". Now this is the part I think I had trouble explaining before. As you can see your wallpaper image is much larger then the Phantim3 skin canvas size. This does not make your skin transparent...it only gives it the illusion that it is. Because of that your going to need the background to be where you intend to place the image. To do so click on the canvas and drag the image around until you see the part of your wallpaper where this skin is going to end up.

Step 5:

Now for the fun part ^^. Click on the Skin layer and begin to make your skin. Do not go out of the borders of the glass model or it wont look like a glass theme anymore. Now I really cant help you make the skin because I don't know what you want for it, but do w/e you want and have fun with it. Remember. Make sure you can still see some of the background image behind the skin you are making. The more of the background you can see, the more its going to give the illusion that its glassy.

Step 6:
After you have your skin done with go to file and select [Save As...]. Direct the save destination to where ever you like and then click on the option [Saver as type:]. Phantim3 doesn't support many file types sadly (why we cant do this glass theme the correct way) so we are going to be saving this as a JPEG. Change the name of the file to back.jpg and save it.

Step 7:
Now in order to use this you are going to need to make a skin folder for it and place it in the Phantim3 skins folder. I would say where that it but Tennisthehilife already covered that ^^. Once placed in the correct destination and applied match the Phantim3 countdown with the correct placement on your desktop. It should now have a glass look to it =),

Are you familiar with Paint.net? Well thats the program I'm using http://www.getpaint.net/
-Would it work?
Wasn't before you told me about it. Downloaded it and built this guide around it.

I didn't really know what you wanted so I threw something together that matched what I thought you meant.

Designed for a black wallpaper spot.

My hands are a little shaky when doing anything precise so the corners may not be to your liking. Hope it's something close to what you wanted.

Custom.txt file:
Arial
255 255 255
63 76
120 76
176 76
230 76

ArticulateT

Smash Journeyman
it is truly awesome. I downloaded it, and because I don't know when it comes out over here, I put in 15th of march 2008.

143 days..... it's truly painful

tennisthehilife

Smash Lord
Yay finished updating!

To Elysium + Everyone: You're welcome, the best "thank you" you can give me is keeping this thread alive w/ new skins + spreading the countdown with others.
-Elysium, if you think your skin is good go ahead and post it and I'll be happy to put it up. -^_^-

To Hitaku: So hows Paint.net and could you give me some of your transparent skins in PNG so people can put their own layer or some top layers (the pics/ days/hours/mins/secs) also in PNG format or which ever keeps the layers seperate. After I get those I'll update the Countdown Skins.

O if anyone else have any top layer skins/understand what I just said: give me some top layers please. <(^.^<)

Bakuryu

Smash Ace
I didn't really know what you wanted so I threw something together that matched what I thought you meant.

Designed for a black wallpaper spot.

My hands are a little shaky when doing anything precise so the corners may not be to your liking. Hope it's something close to what you wanted.

Custom.txt file:
Arial
255 255 255
63 76
120 76
176 76
230 76
Cool download link? its a Skin right?

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
Lol I don't change my sig that much =P. Usually when I make something for someone I use it myself for a little so that I can see mistakes that I made. The sig before the one I am using (the Megaman one) was for someone else ^^. However, this one I have now was something I made for myself.

As far as Paint.net its ok, no viruses or anything like that. When compared to Photoshop it holds up pretty well for doing things like this. To be honest the only two things that really stand out to me are the "Free Transform" option which allows you to stretch and mold the image to any shape you want as well as the opacity control for the layers. In Paint.net you can make layers 100% transparent using the little check mark next to it but I didn't see a way to make the layer 80% transparent. To be honest though I didn't look for these options for very long and being that its free the program is really nice.

Now as for the skins, sometime today I will throw up the glass skin with the shine effect on it like I showed in Bakuryu’s skin. Are the edges ok for you guys? That’s by far my worst attribute when it comes to computer art (wish I had a tablet). If you guys think they could use some work let me know some time today. If I post the image and someone wants it worked on after I will just throw up a new one.

Cool download link? its a Skin right?
Yes its a skin ^^
You can just right click it and save image as. The info I gave before was what the Custon.txt needs to be.

Here is a download to it anyways though.
http://files.filefront.com/Glass+Blackrar/;8872572;/fileinfo.html

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Lol I don't change my sig that much =P. Usually when I make something for someone I use it myself for a little so that I can see mistakes that I made. The sig before the one I am using (the Megaman one) was for someone else ^^. However, this one I have now was something I made for myself.

As far as Paint.net its ok, no viruses or anything like that. When compared to Photoshop it holds up pretty well for doing things like this. To be honest the only two things that really stand out to me are the "Free Transform" option which allows you to stretch and mold the image to any shape you want as well as the opacity control for the layers. In Paint.net you can make layers 100% transparent using the little check mark next to it but I didn't see a way to make the layer 80% transparent. To be honest though I didn't look for these options for very long and being that its free the program is really nice.

Now as for the skins, sometime today I will throw up the glass skin with the shine effect on it like I showed in Bakuryu’s skin. Are the edges ok for you guys? That’s by far my worst attribute when it comes to computer art (wish I had a tablet). If you guys think they could use some work let me know some time today. If I post the image and someone wants it worked on after I will just throw up a new one.

Yes its a skin ^^
You can just right click it and save image as. The info I gave before was what the Custon.txt needs to be.

Here is a download to it anyways though.
http://files.filefront.com/Glass+Blackrar/;8872572;/fileinfo.html
TOTALY off topic but just a quick question. Mind if i have ur background used in this pic?

Looks awsome xP

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024

TOTALY off topic but just a quick question. Mind if i have ur background used in this pic?

Looks awsome xP
Ya heh, its one of my favorites. Enjoy ^^

Link: http://files.filefront.com/Dark+Blissjpg/;8872985;/fileinfo.html

Hitaku (or anyone), could you give me any top layers for the glass skins? I want any top layers + other glass models you have, bottom layer I want people to be able to do it theirself. You would probably have to give it in PNG format.
I will get you the glass model some time tonight, that's when I have time (usually once you guys are asleep lol). I would throw it up now but I am going to need to edit it so others can use it. At the moment its blended with some of the other layers so I will need to get it/add the shadows to it. As for top images if you have something in mind I can do it for you.

RMR

Smash Apprentice
I wish had a Countdown, I cant unzip those frigging things, and WinZip was already over, Well, I guess I can always check here.

tennisthehilife

Smash Lord
I wish had a Countdown, I cant unzip those frigging things, and WinZip was already over, Well, I guess I can always check here.
If you want to do it w/o downloading the zips:

Step1:
download from http://www.phantim3.com/

Step2:
-Make a folder w/ whatever name you want

Step3:
-Copy/Save any picture from this thread/posts.
-Make the pics 250x90, JPEG, and make sure to save it as "back"
-put it in the folder

Step4:
-open a new txt file (use Notepad) and paste one of the #s / text onto it and name it "Custom"

Tell me which one you want and I'll help you.

Expired? Mine never did that. I think you should try finding a program to unzip.

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
O really, what time is that? I'll be up until midnight for the Dojo update. In from Southern California so if timezones matter or anything. Pacific Coast something.
I don't usually go to bed until about 4 AM =P. Though I will be uploading it sooner than I had planned. Should be up within an hour or so.

Get Winrar, the trial never ends. I downloaded it about 2 years ago, trial is still going ^^.

pretty cool! somebody make me a super cool bowser one haha
Seeing as you have given us an amazing brawl report I figured the least I could do was put some effort into one of these for you. Again I didn't really know what you were looking for but I decided to bank on the fact that we share the same idea of super cool =P.

For a black background spot.
Link: http://files.filefront.com/Glass+Bowser+Blackrar/;8874768;/fileinfo.html
For those of you who just want to right click/save the image rather then downloading here is the Custom.txt file for this skin:

Arial
255 255 255
63 76
120 76
176 76
230 76

This is incase you dont have a black background spot ^^

Link: http://files.filefront.com/Glass+Bowserrar/;8874774;/fileinfo.html

For those of you who just want to right click/save the image rather then downloading here is the Custom.txt file for this skin:

Arial
255 255 255
63 79
120 79
176 79
230 79

Hope you enjoy.

tennisthehilife

Smash Lord
I don't usually go to bed until about 4 AM =P.
What!? 4am is late. I'm gonna go to sleep right now (12am). I feel 12 is late enough and I want to go to sleep earlier worrying about my health but 4am, ****. Well I usually sleep @10-11 then wake up @ 6am. Tomorrow morning I'll probably wake up @ 6am still (<-- bad for health) and update w/ your pics.

Goodnight.

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
Here is a link to the glass model I used in the Bowser skin and the skin for Bakuryu's black glass skin.
Link: http://files.filefront.com/Glass+Model+Shinepng/;8874892;/fileinfo.html

When using just a black background like in Bakuryu's skin I like to use the grey border thats in the glass model, however, when applying color like I did with the red in the bowser skin I think it looks better to remove it.

I think that counts as *Super Cool*.
Hitaku, you rock!
^^ thanks, happy you like it.

pud22

Smash Apprentice
some of these look really cool. but the whole concept kinda bothers me...it makes it feel like its gonna take soo much longer. its like lookin at a clock waitin for class to get out and summer to start.

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
Yay more! more! Looks awesome.

Edit: Wait... you can put the glass as top layer right? I tried the glass model and thats how it works right?
You can make it the top layer, it really depends on the look you are going for. Sometimes depending on the image when you make it the top layer it makes the image kinda grey. I always use it as a middle myself.

Edit: One thing I didn't think about ...is when doing skins like bowser's, I use a lot of opacity changes so that the skin part on top still looks good with the shine. If paint.net doesn't have a lot of those features you may...want to use that new shine glass skin on top.
So wait is it really glass or just an illusion that its glass? my Aero turned off so I can't tell =(
It's just the illusion, this program does not support any form of glass function so if you want rounded edges this is really the only way to do it.

tennisthehilife

Smash Lord
Eh.. its hard explaining the glass stuff on my first post. Do you guys understand it? I'm trying to make it clearer + easier to read.

Give me any sugguestions/comments on my instructions on my first post to make it clearer/easier to understand.

O and the Giga Bowser Glass thing looks awesome:

Nietendodude

Smash Ace
Eh.. its hard explaining the glass stuff on my first post. Do you guys understand it? I'm trying to make it clearer + easier to read.

Give me any sugguestions/comments on my instructions on my first post to make it clearer/easier to understand.

O and the Giga Bowser Glass thing looks awesome:
Hey can you take requests cause my computer sucks and can't download the need programs to make one of the desktop count down wallpapers.

tennisthehilife

Smash Lord
Hey can you take requests cause my computer sucks and can't download the need programs to make one of the desktop count down wallpapers.
Yes, please! You gotta make a badass Mario one. Please? :)
Of course, give me some pictures and I'll try to make some. (also if you want w/ the glass model thingy then ask for that to)
Hitaku could probably take requests to <-- He would do a way better job than me seeing how many more skins he made. (I'm learning)

Ok, THANKS ! I got my count down now, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.
i love this thing
You're both (+ everyone else) are welcome. The biggest thanks you can give me: keep this thread alive, submit skins, and spread the love.

Edit: the shiny cool giga bowser thing was made by Hitaku, so ask him or still ask me, I can try

(Yay! King Dedede Confirmed!!!)

Top Bottom