• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[:zss:] NCSU Smash Rehash Vol. 5 "The Next Best Thing" ft. Florida, GA, MD/VA =]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
so much of me wishes i didn't already have a teammate.

mahone will probably team with KP.

your best bet may be josh...unless ACE and dorsey are teaming. then i'd ganon/peach it with ACE.

edit: unless ESAM is partnerless. that'd be pretty ****ing broken....

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
Dont think mahone is going.

I cant either. Will be at an nc tourney soon if this were next weekend id def make it.

Next time mike

:phone:

lord karn

Smash Master
I'm gonna come before work. If you think we could finish teams by a little before four then I'll team with you.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Swiss blows
Yeah I'm going to have to agree on this one.

GG's to everyone i played/smoked with, although the green greens cost me all motivation to try in my matches rofl.

It was really cool seeing a lot of you guys.

Yay's **** talk is still hilarious.

*safety meeting*

flantasticflan

Smash Journeyman
my first tourney, got paired up against twitch first match....FFFFFUUUUUU

blackchris we should play soon though, i saw your g-derp and it was pretty buttery

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
swiss was an experiment. if we had more setups, everyone showed up on time, and people played their matches quickly and in a timely fashion, then it would have worked much better. regardless, things didn't quite work out for the number of people showing up. which btw, was something REALLY cool. 42 entrants for singles for melee??? WOW that's beast lol we should really try to use these numbers for a bigger event eventually imo.

anyway I had a pretty good time at this and learned some cool stuff.

my peach is garbage LOOOLLLL never again

mega shoutouts to stongers for hosting

rest later

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
If we had 42 players, that's 21 matches per round. We had ~10 TVs, so we could have assigned each matchup to a particular TV. By doing this, we wouldn't have had the "I don't know who Player X is" problem that held up matches. We also would have gotten through rounds more quickly. This also would have allowed us to get all the hype matches on stream. For example, during Swiss we got almost no PP and a lot of me (Although we did get Esam v Dark Hart, which was awesome).

Until I upload individual videos, you can watch the tournament at http://www.twitch.tv/raphaelrobo/b/308247809. There are some times when the video pauses, but those aren't on the actual recording.

BEHR

Smash Hero
yelling out names work.

honestly the only player know one knew was Big KRIT whoever that guy is lame.

also RobertPhan and his friends took forever to get there, so whoever they got paired with should have got a bye. or however swiss works. (They took up all of first round)

I also Liked Swiss, hey better then getting out in two rounds and you get more matches.

Also the Return of Darksyde was crazy.

Chill guys.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
NC is just late to ****, and we need to figure that out before anything, since I'm tired of people being like "well x didn't work because y, but it normally works" because **** all of you it didn't work. I would have never entered ha I known Swiss was gonna be like 60 minutes a round since people can't **** take initiative to find the people that need to play. So many things got in the way and made the Melee Swiss run much longer that it should/could've, from chapel hill being late to Melee doubles to brawl doubles. Its really hard to run all of these events essentially simultaneously and expect things to run on time especially knowing how we are when it comes to that

But I don't care since I had a hella mad stellar time at this ^_^

Shoutoutz in results thread for me

:phone:

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
For you maybe(dop)...

thanks for showing me how to reset my controller btw... I should have paid more attention in those friendlies me+dave v. you and mike... bc during my first pools match I realized around 5 of my buttons were ****ed up, as well as my joystick, opposed to the one or 2 things I had noticed at the time. I feel like a ****** for mentioning it again, but for those who don't know I had a beer saturated controller... anyway, I lost my 2nd pools match 1:2 to scorp on a brand new controller, 0 friendlies in between... couldn't agree on characters, if I was gay and said double blind then I would have won. Sorry for saying that scorp, not sure who you are but you seemed like a pretty cool dude....

1-2 hours later and no friendlies, I win my 3rd pools match. another time period like that with no friendlies, in which I am already kinda over it, taheem beats me and I get shield grabbed like 50x. taheem is a smarter/conservative player, not trying to take anything from him, but he was the best person I even played in tournament....lol.

the only semi-decent people I even got to friendly were Austin and Ethan, and I really enjoyed our matches......but, other than pinheadz and raphael, that was it. Maybe I just need to go to a melee only tournament. But, it was disappointing and I think swiss / taking up a lot of setups had something to do with it. I already went into this tourney not giving a **** how I do........but...........I wanted to play some people.

Really enjoyed talking to zach, cam, thunda, adam and jim...and ****, wish I would have talked to you more Lucas. Nice seeing eddie, mike, alex, corey, james, Austin etc.. and nice meeting dylan, raph, seth, ethan and the other nanney.

I missed a few people I'm sure, sorry.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Not to stir up ****, but it could have helped not to be running so many Brawl friendlies during the swiss as well. It could have been compensated by ending the Melee friendlies when the Melee tourney was complete.

But then, a tourney without friendlies is kind of alien to NC Smash.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
I feel the same way. As much as I like Swiss, it didn't work. I went an hour without playing between every round, and felt like I didn't play as well as I could have in everything after the first round (They were all fun, though. Even Brawl was fun, and I had no clue what I was doing).

Also, pools would probably be better for the Stream, since we could just get the hypest pool and stick it on stream.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
swiss was tight. i think the bigger issue here was that we had a lot of people who didn't know each other, and since we didn't call out matches, people simply couldn't find each other to play. i think every round of swiss we got like 18/20 matches done almost instantly, and then the last two took like 40 minutes to figure out. with a little more dedication by the entrants, it really can be an enjoyable system for everyone.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
swiss was tight. i think the bigger issue here was that we had a lot of people who didn't know each other, and since we didn't call out matches, people simply couldn't find each other to play. i think every round of swiss we got like 18/20 matches done almost instantly, and then the last two took like 40 minutes to figure out. with a little more dedication by the entrants, it really can be an enjoyable system for everyone.
we stared at 1

we ended round4 after 5

each round took over an hour to complete

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
Could we hook Stingers' laptop up to the projector? That way we could all see rounds.

Each round took over an hour, but almost all of the matches were finished in the first 10-20 minutes. The only delays were due to people not knowing their opponent and not making an effort to find them, people playing teams matches instead of Swiss (which is perfectly acceptable), and people leaving the venue.

Juno McGrath

Smash Hero
No

I'm tired of all the johns. Hardly anyone left the venue at all, everyone in that group made a really big effort to cater to your ****ty format. So don't blame it on that.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
You're right. I included it because people did leave the venue, but they didn't cause any delays due to the fact that we were sitting around waiting for people who weren't making any effort to find there matches. If that hadn't happened, they may have delayed rounds a bit, but nowhere near as much as the rounds were delayed at this tournament.

I can tell you for a fact that every time I went to the computer, 10-20 minutes after a round started, we were only missing 2-4 matches. We'd still be waiting on these matches for the rest of the hour. In my opinion, we either need a way to force people to try to find their opponents and get their matches done, or we need to go back to pools.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
Dylan's right

the usual "issue"

was not the issue this time around

and raph iunno if New Zealand runs on a different measure of time

but 20 minutes in to each round less than half of the matches had been reported (cept the first one since we were all like LOLOLOOL SWISS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom