• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Zero's Advice: General Matchup Q&A

X3I

Smash Apprentice
- MM close range is actually retreating nairs most of the time, so yeah i think we do
You know G&W's Usmash is invincible, uh ?

And crouch beats pellet.

Last edited:

Bowserdude

Smash Rookie
NNID
Bowserdude729
Let's see...
-Leaf Shield can be destroyed by Chef
-Crash Bomber, Mega Buster, Charge Shot are all absorbable
-Metal Blade doesn't trave las far as MM's other projectile's
-MM has more ranged aerial game, but G&W's Uair has a huge windbox

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
When we're done with G&W, might I request we look at Wario next? Finally fought someone who knows what they were doing, as Chomp made Metal Blade risky. Caught me off guard. :laugh:

Haven't fought many G&Ws but it's always fun to bait out bucket and punish with Metal Blade.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
crouch doesn't "beat" pellet... it avoids it and is essentially an impasse.
"beat" implies you have some way to do damage, which crouching doesn't allow you.

The way I am seeing this matchup, moving single/double pellets will be very valuable to Mega.
G&W has to approach in the neutral as a shear response to Mega's better projectiles. bucket is unsafe even catching a pellet, so that's really not an answer to 1-2 pellets. And even filled with 3 pellets, bucket does 18% and kills above 100%. Now I'm not saying that's not useful, but the hardship G&W should have to go thru to even fill the bucket isn't worth that. For the time being, let's assume Mega never uses fsmash or crash bomb.

I spent some time over the past few days to play For Glory with G&W. I can't say I fully "get" the character, but it's a good way to get a feel for the strengths and weaknesses of a char. By far my hardest challenge over the time was approaching, regardless of my opponent's char. Yes G&W has some great zoning tools, but actually getting in for a grab or combo was incredibly difficult. His mobility is great, so empty SHs and such are really useful. I'm just saying it's hard, and I respect you guys for finding ways around this.

I do definitely see this as a matchup definer though. Megaman is hard to approach + G&W has a hard time approaching. That plus the kill % differences prevent me from seeing this as a bad matchup for Mega.

Other comments:
-Usmash has invincibility on the head... body hits still hit G&W. Also the actual hit of usmash is frame 20ish, so it's not exactly an on-reaction type of move.
-That 0-74% combo... yeah I have a VERY hard time believing that's consistent against Mega. at 0, Mega doesn't fall from the footstool. At higher %s (30-50%), Mega is bouncing high enough to jump out. I'm not saying definitively that it is impossible, but I am skeptical.
-G&W gets a lot out of grab, but his grab is slow/short-ranged. It's going to be hard for him to reliably land a grab on Megaman.

X3I

Smash Apprentice
Dtilt goes under pellets too, I think.

"-Usmash has invincibility on the head... body hits still hit G&W. Also the actual hit of usmash is frame 20ish, so it's not exactly an on-reaction type of move."
When you do the Usmash, the "head" is 95% of the body. Only moves like Marth's Dtilt touches him.
When you block a move with the Usmash, is freezes the time and punishes it.
It's invincible from frame 4, it can be a on-reaction move.

"-That 0-74% combo... yeah I have a VERY hard time believing that's consistent against Mega. at 0, Mega doesn't fall from the footstool. At higher %s (30-50%), Mega is bouncing high enough to jump out. I'm not saying definitively that it is impossible, but I am skeptical."
The first footstool-Dair is guaranteed, after that you have a few frame to dodge another grab... If you get grabbed again, it's guaranteed again. If you don't, we can dash attack instead ! When you bounce, Judgement/Usmash is true combo.

"-G&W gets a lot out of grab, but his grab is slow/short-ranged."
It's the fastest of the game, and has a very nice range... wtf ?

Last edited:

Greward

Smash Lord
The thing is, you have to get close enough to use upsmash. You gotta have us standing still or else we will get away (and trust me, Mega Man is always moving around), while doing a laggy move.
Up smash hitbox comes out on frame 24 which means it's hella slow. I truly believe it is VERY hard to hit a mega man with that move. The best way to use it would be to counter a mega man dtilt, but that move will probably hit G&W because of low hitbox so...
Dtilt doesn't duck under grounded pellets (and yes, we can do grounded pellets while jumping).
Mega Man is probably one of the best chars in the game avoiding grabs. If we can avoid Diddy's grab, I think we'll be able to avoid G&W's. He runs kinda slow and empty short hops shouldn't be too useful since Mega Man rarely stays on shield.
Crouching might avoid pellets but not metal blade. Anyways it only matters if you plan to time out and already got a significant lead.
G&W's grab is actually frame 6 and doesn't have low range like in previous games. His grab has been buffed to be a normal grab isntead of a bad one.

On a side note, G&W's dash attack should be good, it might stop pellets with the helmet and we don't really have a move that will stop it from punishing our landing since leaf shield or fair should be useless there, and it setups to edgeguarding which is probably the only way for G&W to get a kill on us.

Last edited:

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
My fault on the grab topic. I'm combining a couple things and stating it stupidly. Sorry about that.

His grab range is acceptable, but is not among the better grabs in the game. Ironically, not as good as mega's.

The slow comment is more all around than specifically when the grab comes out. His movement is fine, but closing enough space to land a grab is a pretty slow process. I also might be fooling myself, but the missed grab animation (esp the dash grab) felt slow like crazy. I felt like I got punished harder on miss than with any other char.

Mega has a lot of moves that hit the ground, so we can hit thru usmash if we don't directly challenge it from above.

At what % does the footstool stop comboing out of dthrow, though? Mega is heavy, but not a fast faller, so it seems he starts breaking it below 30-40 to me, even without DI. From what you just said, it's a trap after each dair rather than a combo, and I'm not convinced you get more than 2 or so.

Now keep in mind I'm not arguing that g&w doesn't have a great reward out of grab... 0-74 just seems incredibly optimistic to me.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
When you block a move with the Usmash, is freezes the time and punishes it.
It's invincible from frame 4, it can be a on-reaction move.
I'm curious about the time distortion. In my limited experience with the move, the opponent suffers the normal hitlag of whatever move they are using, but G&W does not suffer any hitstun or anything which allows it to work as a counter. When I think time distortion, I think Shulk's vision counter, but I do wonder if there is some kind of modifier to G&W's upsmash. It's a very good answer to our FAir and on stage DAirs that are next to you (not a great strategy for Mega, but it happens sometimes because of style points). I don't think it will punish point blank pellets due to jumping away on reaction to pellets being blocked, but I don't have the game in front of me. Could you explain the time distortion a little more?

Crouching is good, but I don't think it's an answer any more than powershielding. I play against a Kirby often and he likes to crouch and start combos off of his dtilt, but it's only slightly better than powershielding due to how much easier it is to time. It's a tool, but pellets are still an issue for G&W (it is for just about all of the cast... so that's nothing new).

Also, I like my shield for shield>utilt, and it's not like G&W has crippling mobility and no safe pokes (looking at you, Luigi).

I tried out the footstool DAir stuff last night. It's really fun. As a response to it, I'd probably try and mixup between dtilt/pellet (utilt if I'm feeling bold) to challenge the dash grab and shield (maybe spot dodge/roll?) to be safe against dash attack (which nets a utilt on block). The re-grab may still happen, but those are the options I'd use as a counterplay. It's a great chain that shouldn't be underestimated, because G&W has complete control in that situation and can probably mixup with a judgement. What's super scary is those mid %'s where G&W can combo into judgement.

Greward is correct though, G&W has issues killing. DSmash is very good if we roll into/cross up, and FAir/Ftilt is decently quick and disjointed (both killing at high %'s). Does G&W's FAir/BAir outrange/disjoint Mega Man's FAir/BAir? I think that would be a nice thing to know for the matchup.

Last edited:

X3I

Smash Apprentice
"but that move will probably hit G&W because of low hitbox so..."
Just tried, UpSmash absorbs Megaman's Dtilt.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
"but that move will probably hit G&W because of low hitbox so..."
Just tried, UpSmash absorbs Megaman's Dtilt.
Could you try Dash Attack? The only reason I think it might is because of the multi-hit nature of the move. Thanks for testing that out. :)

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Alright, today is the last day for the G&W discussion. Any last thoughts before we switch tomorrow are appreciated.

A thought from me: while Usmash is fantastic, at close range Mega Man is usually moving away (retreating jab/NAir), grabbing, or doing something that's punishable on block anyway (at low %'s you'd want to grab instead of usmash). It's a great tool, but I don't see it as a defining factor in the matchup like your disjointed aerials/bucket.

I also think normal panic is better in the MU. With normal panic, you seal fsmash almost completely (unlike Villager, who loses the fsmash after a certain amount of time), and bucketing 3 pellets for 18% is good enough to stop me from throwing out 3 pellets all the time (which leaves me to single/double pellets helping your approach). Efficient panic is nice for an easy 10%, and I don't know how it interacts with the fsmash, but I think the trade off is in normal oil panic's favor.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I think we've talked this one to death.

For a final matchup ratio, I have a really hard time calling this one at all in G&W's favor. I would be fine with even or better for Megaman, somewhere 5-5 to 6-4 seems right, but I'm leaning to 6-4 now.

To me this matchup is dependent on G&W being able to safely approach, and (A) this is a weakness of his and (B) this is a strength of Megaman, as we can do damage and get followups off safe pokes without ever risking approaching on shield/usmash/etc.

G&W has hard punishes to be sure, but he also dies in the 70% realm to an utilt, so in a way, we do too. As long as Mega is smart about the bucket and G&W's attack range, I think we win this one. All that said, it's a dynamic matchup that is pretty interesting with 2 knowledgeable opponents

Last edited:

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
I think we've talked this one to death.

For a final matchup ratio, I have a really hard time calling this one at all in G&W's favor. I would be fine with even or better for Megaman, somewhere 5-5 to 6-4 seems right, but I'm leaning to 6-4 now.

To me this matchup is dependent on G&W being able to safely approach, and (A) this is a weakness of his and (B) this is a strength of Megaman, as we can do damage and get followups off safe pokes without ever risking approaching on shield/usmash/etc.

G&W has hard punishes to be sure, but he also dies in the 70% realm to an utilt, so in a way, we do too. As long as Mega is smart about the bucket and G&W's attack range, I think we win this one. All that said, it's a dynamic matchup that is pretty interesting with 2 knowledgeable opponents
I more or less agree with this, particularly when we factor in customs. Sure, G&W can bucket Danger Wrap, but it is hella dangerous for him to attempt that read (SHORYUKUN!). Ice Slasher avoids the problem of Crash Bomber entirely and gives us another nice zoning tool. Tornado Hold gives us some decent edgeguarding options and another punish tool, and Beat helps us avoid G&W's gimp game, so both are viable. Meanwhile G&W only really has Efficient Panic and maybe Short-Order Chef, and neither of those patch up his weaknesses in the matchup quite like our customs do for us.

The only thing that really scares me in this matchup is G&W's landing punish game with his dash attack and usmash. Aside from that and the d-throw->Oil Panic string, he has a lot of trouble getting kills on us, and our landings are harder to punish than most.

The one thing that would make me reconsider is seeing that dthrow 0-70% combo executed, consistently and inescapably, in a few competitive matches. It would be hard for me to call this one in Mega Man's favor if G&W can consistently punish us THAT hard our of a grab.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
The one thing that would make me reconsider is seeing that dthrow 0-70% combo executed, consistently and inescapably, in a few competitive matches. It would be hard for me to call this one in Mega Man's favor if G&W can consistently punish us THAT hard our of a grab.
Confirmed not a combo. escapable trap string.
Mega can always avoid the regrab with dodge/jump, so it's just a mixup into dash attack or aerial, etc.

The footstool also stops confirming pretty early.

To that point, G&W seems to have a ton of options in the 0-30/40% combo range, but yeah I can't see it going to 70% without about 3-4 good reads.

X3I

Smash Apprentice
For the Dthrow "combo", yeah, it's mix-ups. The problem is that we have sooo much possibilities...

If you're not ready to jump, you can take an instant-kill because of Dthrow > Judge (true combo at some %).
If you jump, you can take a full Nair... and then, another mindgame.
Or you prefer Dthrow > Some Utilt ? And a Nair after ? +another mindgame ?
Or an Usmash is you try to dodge ? Against Mario for example, it would beat his Nair.
You try to avoid a second re-grab after a footstool ? Well, maybe you'll take a Dash Attack...
Chief > Re-grab also exists... Oh, and we can true combo the bucket after a Dthrow.

Of course, it's escapable... but with good reads, you can be ****ed badly.
You don't want to get grabbed against a good G&W player.

Last edited:

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Of course, it's escapable... but with good reads, you can be ****ed badly.
You don't want to get grabbed against a good G&W player.
The dthrow> judge is a true combo and will insta-kill MM but is more of a luck based mission since you need to get a 9.

And if we are talking about reads, with a good read, MM's utilt/dsmash will kill you ridiculously early so i think we are even on that.

I guess the point is that is that the whole "At the beginning of a stock, G&W can 0% > 74% Megaman from a Dthrow " is not a true combo.

Your point does still stands , G&W gets a lot of stuff from his grabs, so we should try to avoid that like the plague.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
From a mega main I think this is a tough matchup because of GW's disjoints and good punishes.

I would say 55-45/60-40. In G&W's favor.

X3I

Smash Apprentice
I guess the point is that is that the whole "At the beginning of a stock, G&W can 0% > 74% Megaman from a Dthrow " is not a true combo.
It's not, yeah... the re-grab is mindgame/reflexe-based, I agree. Though, if you want to avoid that, you have to take a risk.
I think if your roll (the only way to escape that) is read, we can re-grab you anyway by chasing you.
Not a big deal, I guess.

About the Judge, even if it's random, you don't want to take that. ^^
Whatever the number (except 1), follow-ups exist, that leads to great damage anyway.
So, it's not that random either... Only the instant-kill is.

Last edited:

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
It's not, yeah... the re-grab is mindgame/reflexe-based, I agree. Though, if you want to avoid that, you have to take a risk.
I think if your roll (the only way to escape that) is read, we can re-grab you anyway by chasing you.
Not a big deal, I guess.

About the Judge, even if it's random, you don't want to take that. ^^
Whatever the number (except 1), follow-ups exist, that leads to great damage anyway.
So, it's not that random either... Only the instant-kill is.
Those follow ups, are they guaranteed at all percents ?

BBC7

Smash Ace
Those follow ups, are they guaranteed at all percents ?
At higher percents, it's basically Up B and even that stops connecting at high enough percents. Still though, every competitive battle will start off at low percents and that is when you don't want to be grabbed for the most part. Mega Man also happens to be one of the characters where D-Throw -> Side B is guaranteed at one point, and the only bad Judge is 1. The rest either have follow-ups(2 into dash grab, 3 into Judge or grab, 5 into Nair, 8 into Nair), reset to neutral(4, 6, 7+healing), or just flat-out kill(9). Overall, Game & Watch is a threat at lower percents but I can see where an issue comes in with his grab being much worse at high percents, which also happens to be when rage activates and Mega Man U-Tilt becomes extremely hazardous.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
How do you deal with Villager? I have a bad habit of recovering as close to the ledge as possible, which is bad when fighting a Villager who can time an FSmash and take you out very quickly by dropping bowling balls at the ledge. But if you attempt to go over them, they can just punish your landing. If you go out too much, they can also take you out.

I'm thinking Fair, but I haven't tried it. Also risky considering if you're not on a wall-jump stage, you lose your chance to recover.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
If the map has slanted edges go under the map and use your up B. That way you avoid the bowling ball but still get the edge. Or use your upB first then double jump to ledge.

We are one of the few chars that con out projectile villager. MB goes through the tree. Still a close matchup.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Not trying to be a jerk, but please use this other thread for general matchup talk (http://smashboards.com/threads/general-mu-help-discussion.371272/). We've had some issues derailing this thread before, so I'm just trying to prevent that.

One note I want to make is that our recovery, while not fantastic, is very adaptable. if you are consistently riding the stage and eating bowling balls, just try to stay out of range of it before grabbing the edge. You can work around it.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
How do you deal with Villager? I have a bad habit of recovering as close to the ledge as possible, which is bad when fighting a Villager who can time an FSmash and take you out very quickly by dropping bowling balls at the ledge. But if you attempt to go over them, they can just punish your landing. If you go out too much, they can also take you out.

I'm thinking Fair, but I haven't tried it. Also risky considering if you're not on a wall-jump stage, you lose your chance to recover.
Just a thought that popped into my head, but wouldn't Tornado Hold be good for this?

EDIT: My bad. Not time to talk about Villager yet.

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Sorry, that's totally my fault for not changing the subject and allowing it to sit. If someone wants to tag-team this with me, I'd be more than happy to split responsibilities.

Alright, great discussion everyone. The past few ones have really gone quite well with good participation on both sides.

Special thanks to @ X3I X3I , @Kofu, and @ BBC7 BBC7 for your contributions. You're welcome back to the Mega Man boards at any time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Per @ --- --- 's request, and multiple other requests, it's time we shoulder-tackle the ... wait, that was taken out? Oh. cri
:4wario2:

Here's some stuff to chomp on. ;)

Videos:
Wafty vs Sonicmega
Wafty vs Stevo

Mega Man is here,and he's highly projectile based, which means you can eat his projectiles. Though you should be careful of his non projectile attacks. His up smash can stop your down air so be careful if you're in the air. If you get git with the crash bomber, try and stick it on Mega Man. Mega Man's down smash leaves him wide open for an attack so use it wisely. The metal blade can knock you off the bike so be careful. Use your grab attacks to rack up damage. He's not that hard to beat,but don't underestimate him.
Threat level 5
The best fighter to use Wario's chomp against. Wario can eat just about all of MM's projectiles* including his forward smash, leaf shield, and crash bomber (crash bomber won't blow up in your belly). Eating the metal blade also gives you health. MM's mega buster (lemon things) don't have much knockback, so feel free to melee him. However, MM's down tilt and dash attack can be pretty annoying, so you may want to use your bike (it's also possible to chomp MM while he's doing his down tilt).
Threat level: 4
I dunno, but from my streamed game I learned 2 things stood out to me against Wario:
  • Leaf Shield takes him off his bike if I block it and I get a free shieldgrab hilariously enough
  • Down Tilt Slide beats him out of his command grab if he's on the ground, I should probably use that more next time
  • I didn't utilize this in my particular game, but I was told by a Wario 2ndary user (who mains Pac-Man) that the active hitbox of Bite is only in front of him and is still vulnerable to attacks from above, below, or behind. Bite also cannot eat Pac-Man's apples thrown diagonally from above, so I imagine he may still be vulnerable to diagonally thrown Metal Blades, Air Shooters, or perhaps Hard Knuckle.
*Not 100% sure about MM's up aerial though I'm pretty sure he can't

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
The best fighter to use Wario's chomp against. Wario can eat just about all of MM's projectiles* including his forward smash, leaf shield, and crash bomber (crash bomber won't blow up in your belly). Eating the metal blade also gives you health. MM's mega buster (lemon things) don't have much knockback, so feel free to melee him. However, MM's down tilt and dash attack can be pretty annoying, so you may want to use your bike (it's also possible to chomp MM while he's doing his down tilt).
Threat level: 4
Forward Smash and Leaf Shield!? Well this is now relevant.

IDK this might be a match up that's better for Hyper Bombs/Shadow Blade. Danger Wrap sounds like a given.

SanAntonioSmasher

Smash Apprentice
Mega man and wario are my two mains, so I'm curious how they do against each other. I don't have much experience actually playing these matchups though.

My gut is telling me mega man has the edge. Either 60-40 or 55-45. Wario is all about spacing, and punishing mistakes. However, mega man also plays a spacing game, and I think he can do it well against wario without leaving him too open. Mega man can also handle the chomp well because he doesn't need to block incoming aerial approaches like other characters need to. IMO wario is strong because of chomp, its just that good, and I think mega man can handle it well.

I think warios biggest advantage in this matchup comes from using the bike to punish. Mega man likes to stay mid-range, and that is perfect for the bike. Its quick startup and priority over many attacks (lemons in particular), make it very dangerous against mega man.

Last edited:

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I'm going to be mostly quiet for this discussion, aside from asking some questions, because I have little to no experience against Wario.

One thing I know is a SH metal blade knocks him off his bike, which is a nice tool to throw out. The stuff I don't know is below:

-How much does Metal Blade heal Wario on chomp? (keeping in mind you are still feeding his gas meter lol)
-How effective is down angled Metal Blade on chomp? I assume it's a hit or miss type thing, where if you hit his forehead, he doesn't eat it.
-How much lag does Wario have after eating something?

I'm trying to see just how effective Chomp actually is... whether it beats everything and we can't punish him for it, or whether it's more like G&W's bucket and we can hit him after he eats something. If he can eat a metal blade from down45 angle filling 1% health and marginal waft, but we can get a guaranteed 15ish% from an uair or so, then it might be worth it, honestly.

If there are any Warios around, I would like experience in this matchup, so please feel free to add me for testing.

Greward

Smash Lord
This matchup is hard. I play a bit of Wario too so I know it from both points of view. In addition I've got a good Wario player in my region so I know the matchup.

Bike beats Fsmash, pellets and dtilt. This means that he can use it on reaction against Fsmash and sometimes dtilt, and that we have to be very wary when punishing his landing (which is already difficult cause wario). We can only really punish bike if we have a LS on or use MB.
Chomp can eat any projectile we have if it comes in front of him (yeah, even up air). Fortunately we have a lot of different angles so it's not that big. If he eats a MB I think he heals for 1-2% and gets faster waft. It wouldn't be that much of a deal if it weren't because Wario will probably camp a lot. Chomp has little to no lag and we have to be very precise and close to punish a whiffed one. If he eats something he's hardly punishable unless he eats a pellet and you shoot another.
He can use Chomp when we recover with rush coil and it's easily a stock gone. Dair edgeguard is also very good against MM's rush coil. I'd take TH in this matchup if available.
Watch out for early % combos like nair - fair - waft because it can kill as early as 30%. He really enjoys having the waft in this matchup and he should try to camp for it because Mega Man has little approach options. Sourspotted nair or fair leads into Waft.
He might force a time out because of his campy nature. I always try to go to small stages because of this, in big ones he has too much room to decide the pace of the match.
His neutral game is kinda bad but he uses time pressure strats to work around it. Grab deals some nice damage, Fthrow and Upthrow are his main throws and Fthrow is actually a kill move (dealing 14% and 12% damage respectively). He will use SH nair if he can cross up but I don't really see Wario's approaching a lot. He will probably try to wait out some reaction and punish it with Bite / Bike if he guesses right.
Platforms benefit us unless it's T&C imo.
Wario's upB comes out super fast and it's actually a good move. He will use it like it's a Mario or Little Mac upB.
Gimping him is possible but hard. If he gets hit after using bike without landing he can't use it again until he lands. Wario's awesome air mobility does help him tho so he might not even need. He likes to recover high and MM has some trouble punishing high recoverys unless Danger Wrap is there.
His main kill moves are Waft, Fthrow and Bair/Dair. His smashes are risky but he might use them on a read. Actually up smash is good against Mega Man, it's like a slow Mario up smash.
Watch out for Ftilt, it has a deceptive long range and hitbox and little lag. And it kills.

Since this matchup is like trying to catch Wario down and limit him, as Mega Man i usually like to slow him down with pellets then go for the grab. Since Bike would beat this I usually go for MB as mixups. In the air you can contest him but it's risky because he can change his air momentum anytime and got some great mobility so he can bait you into the air and make you whiff it.
It's very hard to kill him, and he doesn't have a good time getting a kill on MM either (outside of Waft) so this helps in making this matchup truly a time out fest.

Wario, along with Pit, is one of my "I don't wanna ditto" chars and I think they both have a solid advantage in this matchup. In the case of Wario, customs do truly help us in making the matchup easier.

Blade Knight

Smash Ace
Metal Blade, like all other items heals Wario by 1% and reduces the time before his next full waft by the standard amount (about 2 seconds sooner).
Down Angled Metal Blade is moderately effective for the reasons you've said. It'll either hit him or he'll eat it out of mid air. We have better options.
He has a small amount of lag, it's punishable, but only at a very cose range.

Chomp is a big part of Wario's game and represents a real problem for Mega Man in this matchup, though in my experience from both sides, Mega Man has some options that really dump on Wario close up, like Dtilt, Up Smash, Back Air, Forward Air, Lemons and of course, Grabbing.

If you ever can, deny Wario his bike. If he leaves it on stage camp it away from him and don't destroy it. It's a huge part of his recovery, ledge game (he can cover every single ledge option we have if he has bike on stage), and it takes away a kill option for him. Plus he has a harder time comboing into Waft.

I can't remember how he interacts with crash bomber, I think if he eats it it actually doesn't explode, but also doesn't heal him though I could be wrong.

He won't heal from eating:
Lemons
Leaf shield (once thrown)
Up Air
Down Air
Forward Smash
Crash Bomber

And he has a little bit of lag from eating these, though in the case of Crash Bomber, Leaf Shield, and Forward Smash it's really not able to be punished at all.

Wario at low (without platforms) to mid (with) can do Shorthop Nair->Various mixups. Nair->Utilt->Mixup, Nair->Uair x2->Mixup. It'll be something to watch out for and punish Warios for fishing for, as he has a hell of a time racking damage unless he tacks on that early percent. His damage game and KO potential really rise the more mixups he can rely on, meaning at low percents he can have trouble. The big issue here is Mega Man has terrible reversals from the positions Wario's Nair puts him in. We're placed directly above him and only a short distance away, meaning lemons won't work and dair is too slow. Fair can work if you DI REALLY well but otherwise we kind of have to eat the damage.

Wario's a bit of a bother, but overall I feel this matchup is pretty even. I've felt the pressure and put it on myself from each side of this matchup, and it's a very momentum based one imo.

Last edited:

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
I can't remember how he interacts with crash bomber, I think if he eats it it actually doesn't explode, but also doesn't heal him though I could be wrong.
You are correct. No health but no explosion. Metal Blade is the only projectile that heals him. I don't like this matchup very much. It isn't crazy hard but any matchup that causes me to reconsider throwing a Metal Blade is a bad one (Wario is the only one that makes me do this).

His aerial mobility is very good so he can easily weave in and out and make punishes hard for Mega Man. He can eat everything we throw at him but that isn't that big of a deal. What is a big deal is that Wario will use Chomp against Mega Man more than against other characters. This causes Mega Man to have to be a bit more careful in his aggression and that's something you can't do (I feel). If you aren't pressuring him, you're just giving him more time to build his Waft and even a half-charged Waft can hurt a lot.

I'd say this matchup is slightly in Wario's favor.

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
I'll add one thing and then get out of the way for now.

One of Wario's issues, historically, has been disjoints/range. Mega Man's disjointed aerial kit (and disjointed usmash anti-air) is something I would emphasize using.

Blade Knight

Smash Ace
I think with customs this might be a matchup to consider Hyper Bomb in. If he tries to eat that he takes 8% and is highly punishable. If he tries to block it with his bike it'll likely still get him with the explosion. Failing both of these it denies a large amount of airspace, which is where Warios like to be because of their great air mobility. I wager running 232x, 222x or 233x against Wario would yeild good results.

If we're not using Metal Blade then we can feel free to ditch Rush for Beat or Tornado Hold, which gives us a good OoS option or a great recovery, both of which are good vs Wario espcially given he can't spike us out of Beat. The only reason I'd potentially recommend Ice Slasher>Danger Wrap is for Burying Bike, which is a favorite of many Warios in customs. It'll hit him off his bike if he's on it, when he's carrying it, or waiting behind it. It could also reclaim a good amount of the stage because we don't want to fight him near the ledge.

Vs. Speeding Bike however Crash bomber is the best Side B option in my opinion as it deals just about 5% which is all the health the speeding bike has, and the explosion of the bike gives Mega Man a setup opportunity. With regards to Down Bs, feel all three have merit vs Wario, even Skull Barrier, as throwing bikes is a big part of Wario's ledge game and sometimes you'll see it done in neutral as well.

tl;dr
I think our best options in customs would be:
Hyper Bomb+Danger Wrap vs Normal Bike

Hyper Bomb+Ice Slasher vs Heavy Bike

Hyper Bomb+Cash Bomber vs Speeding Bike

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea

Ironically. Us Villager's are having just as much trouble facing Mega Man.

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
Gonna go ahead and toss this in here again to show you what NOT to do against a good (possibly the best Wario):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZhRktBvp8g (Match starts 25:30)

Honestly, this match up just feels so weird to play; given Wario's aerial mobility, you'll be hard pressed to get Wario to stay still, even with pellets/ MB/ CB. You'll have to commit to full hop pellets usually to slow him down. Mega Man does indeed outrange Wario, but I generally don't find f-air to be safe against him just because he has to commit a lot less when he challenges you where as Mega Man's f-air combined with his aerial mobility compared to Wario's seems to be pretty punish-able. Other than that, this match-up is a straight up mystery to me in this game.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I think this is one of our worst matchups. I would say 65/35 or 60/40 for wario.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I don't really have much to say that hasn't already since I only played a total of one Mega Man player. Just would like to note that he told me that Wario's superior airspeed was a real bother to him.

In my case, I don't think Metal Blade is totally useless because it completely stops Wario from using his bike which actually limits our bike options. Mega Man's aerials are also really strong in spacing out Wario because of their disjoints, but Wario's punish game and aerial footsies are strong so he WILL punish you if you miss.

Last edited:

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Leaf Shield is pretty damned solid in this MU. It will knock Wario out of his Bite and fair if he tries to approach with those, giving you a free shield grab. It will knock him off his bike, giving you a free shield grab. When thrown, it can punish his jumping shenanigans, and kill his aerial momentum long enough for you to slap him with a followup.

Wario doesn't have reliable access to projectiles and has relatively poor range, there's not a lot he can do against you when you have LS up. Dair, ftilt, and dtilt pokes are probably his best options. He might try to bike into you to knock you out of the startup animation, so watch out for that.

But yeah, I think LS is a solid offensive and defensive option Mega Man players should keep in mind during this MU, because Wario is pretty good at punishing careless lemon and fair use.

Last edited:

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Leaf Shield is pretty damned solid in this MU. It will knock Wario out of his Bite and fair if he tries to approach with those, giving you a free shield grab. It will knock him off his bike, giving you a free shield grab. When thrown, it can punish his jumping shenanigans, and kill his aerial momentum long enough for you to slap him with a followup.

Wario doesn't have reliable access to projectiles and has relatively poor range, there's not a lot he can do against you when you have LS up. Dair, ftilt, and dtilt pokes are probably his best options. He might try to bike into you to knock you out of the startup animation, so watch out for that.

But yeah, I think LS is a solid offensive and defensive option Mega Man players should keep in mind during this MU, because Wario is pretty good at punishing careless lemon and fair use.
Yeah, but you can't have it up all the time nor can you keep it up often enough to keep him away. It is only useful if you get enough space to activate it and then for the few seconds you have it up.

Top Bottom