• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Zero Suit Samus- Quick Question, Quick Answer Thread

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
OK just played a zss for a good hour the only reason I was loosing was because down throw up air and I'm really curious to know why that doesn't stale after 500 times of using it in the match
Anyone have any definite knowledge of how moves stale and refresh I honestly think it's ridiculous that you can use up air all day and at the end of the match it still can confirm kills
I'm salty because everyone has an easy down throw up air confirm but for GW it's extremely difficult to land
But if it stales, it hits even longer as true combo. All that staleness reduces is damage and knockback.

Honor

Smash Apprentice
I think this question may have been answered already but: is it possible to load replays to YouTube directly from one's Wii U?

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
Is there a good secondary character I should be using for ZSS's bad MUs? I.e. short characters like pikachu.

Meta_X

Smash Apprentice
I think this question may have been answered already but: is it possible to load replays to YouTube directly from one's Wii U?
Yep, in the newest update. I don't remember exactly but I think it's simple enough, just open the replay's settings and it should be there. Might be under "Post" or something.

Edit: Actually here's the guide from the smashbros website: http://www.smashbros.com/us/howto/entry14.html

Last edited:

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
Unless you play Smash 24/7, picking up a secondary for ZSS is counterproductive.
Well I play smash quite frequently, and for long periods of time, but I'm not competitive player. That being said, I struggle a lot against short characters, so I wasn't sure what to do about it. Is there a way to fight short characters as zss, since you say a secondary is counter-productive ?

David Viran

Smash Lord
Well I play smash quite frequently, and for long periods of time, but I'm not competitive player. That being said, I struggle a lot against short characters, so I wasn't sure what to do about it. Is there a way to fight short characters as zss, since you say a secondary is counter-productive ?
Yes you can fight short characters and that would be to just get good at the MU. Bring short makes the MU more hard than bad imo.

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
Yes you can fight short characters and that would be to just get good at the MU. Bring short makes the MU more hard than bad imo.
Ok, but practicing the mu is only good if you know what to practice. I seem to miss my short hop nair's and zairs a lot more on shorter characters. Do I need to be aiming low, or is their better ways to approach short characters/moves to fight them?

David Viran

Smash Lord
Learn to hit all aerials low to the ground, learn to always angle ftilt down when you use it, and try to use moves that hit low to the ground more in general. Moves like dsmash, somewhat dtilt, and even side b.

Honor

Smash Apprentice
You have to change your short hop, or rather your short hop has to be more on point. The only MU that is really hellish (IMO) is Pikachu.

ligersandtigons

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChromToTheDome
3DS FC
4656-6292-5830
Switch FC
SW-2244-3437-3034
any tips for fighting marios?

especially ones that abuse shield?

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
should i even bother approaching outside of a good read?
Sure, hitting shields is safe for ZSS. You need to apply pressure or you will lose.
Does he softread your jumps with bAir? Just jump in with fAir or zAir.
Does he try to combobreak with nAir? Spacing solves this.
Does he use smashes a lot? Spacing solves this as well. (You can perfectly train this against lv9 Mario bots, they're awesome at punishing)
Also never panic airdodge or you will eat smashes.

TL;DR: Just hit him constantly while staying out of his range

Last edited:

Claire Redfield

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lara_Redfield
Plasma Whip is very very situational. Spacing it is difficult (at least for me) even in the best of circumstances.

I use X to jump and short hop when I play ZSS and I rarely jump too high or don't fast fall when I want to. The key thing is to input the fast fall almost on top of whatever attack you are doing.
I learned that you have to press n-air and THEN hit the fast fall. I was trying to do it the other way around. Since then I've been practicing like crazy. It takes some work, but I'll get there.

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
I learned that you have to press n-air and THEN hit the fast fall. I was trying to do it the other way around. Since then I've been practicing like crazy. It takes some work, but I'll get there.
This is because aerials in this game cancel fast falls. Generally speaking, I've found inputting nair followed by a fast fall is the easiest way to get a frame sync (overlapping attacker hit stun and landing lag when hitting a foe's shield).

Zelbur

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zelbur
When you combo more than 2 down-smashes in a row, the combo number in training mode resets, even though the character is still stunned. Does anyone know why this is?

Last edited:

Claire Redfield

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lara_Redfield
So, there is a lot of terminology thrown about and a lot of "basic" advanced techniques (SHFF, auto-canceling, B-reverse, etc.). Is there a guide anywhere that covers these universal techniques and how to practice them?

free33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Intelctmeatbal
when you press down B, ZSS does a jump flip with cool special effects. This flip can be used for recovery as well as mobility, as it is completely lagless. it acts as a third jump, and has invincibility on frames 3-12. Also, while flipping, you have great control over your aerial mobility. Use all this to your advantage. This is an amazing mobility tool. And can be used for recovering and getting out of bad situations. Also, if you hit a wall while you are in this move, you do an automatic wall jump for extra recovery. However, if you press an attack button while you are using this move, ZSS performs a downward kick that kills very early, but has lots of ending lag. This is a very viable kill option for ZSS, but you must not be predictable with the move, otherwise it becomes very punishable. The tip of the kick spikes the opponent, which is even more flashy:). A very big problem with new ZSS players is that they use this move too much and/or they use the kick a lot when they shouldn't. When using it as a movement tool, don't use the kick! The weak hit of this move is when you land on the opponent with this move, but don't press the attack button. ZSS head stomps the opponent. This will bury opponent in the ground or softly spike aerial opponents. Remember that the head stomp has lots of lag anyway, and ZSS will perform the head stomp on an opponent even if they air dodge or shield the move. This can get you punished or killed, so be careful. If you bury an opponent, feel free to punish in any way, such as Up B on the spot, charge an Usmash, Dsmash or jump-fast fall until they break out, then Uair chains into Up B if they are at the right percent. Something very important to remember about this move is that not only can you aim the kick left or right by hitting that direction on the joystick when you press the attack button, but you can do the same with the move itself. If you hit forward right after you hit down b, you will flip forwards instead of backwards. Also, because the move grants extra aerial mobility, you can hold towards the stage when recovering with it to jump even farther. When recovering with it, remember that you cannot hit up b until the move is completely over. If you try for another recovery option to early, ZSS will perform the kick, and you will fall to your death in lag. However, if you do actually connect the kick on your opponent in midair, you will jump off of them, negating the lag.

This is from my guide if you want to check it out: http://smashboards.com/guides/full-guide-to-everything-zero-suit-samus.602/

Good luck!

BatShark

Smash Apprentice
Saw a lot of Bairs after 0 or low % Dthrows from Marss and Nairo in those sets. I tend to just Uair for DI behind me or Fair for no DI and DI in front, where do y'all land on this one and why?

Stalkurn

Smash Rookie
So my friend always seems to DI away from me and air dodge on my downthrow. Even with only the DI away from me I cant land anything on him out of the throw. Help? No one else seems to have this problem and I cant find any cases in tournaments where people have been DIing away.

David Viran

Smash Lord
So my friend always seems to DI away from me and air dodge on my downthrow. Even with only the DI away from me I cant land anything on him out of the throw. Help? No one else seems to have this problem and I cant find any cases in tournaments where people have been DIing away.
People DI downthrow away all the time. Dash forward and then jump out of dthrow.

BatShark

Smash Apprentice
I seem to be slow though. Do I just need to be quicker? I've done it about 1000 times and even when I do make it there he just air dodges.
Yes, you need to be quicker. It is also possible you are not attempting it at the appropriate %s. Too low and there isn't enough hitstun.

The fun part comes when he starts mixing up and your buffered dash followups are causing you to drop the combo before it begins.

Last edited:

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
I seem to be slow though. Do I just need to be quicker? I've done it about 1000 times and even when I do make it there he just air dodges.
you might not be buffering the dash -> up air (although recently I have found out how dumb i've been when i can just literally jump and up air ).

training mode is not good to practice this in all honesty and you should consider mixing it up with up smash instead of up air because then you can generally jump and up air them anyways afterwords, One thing I haven't finished conditioning myself to do yet but have done it like once in tournament is.

Down throw /uptilt to up smash and when they air dodge into the ground Jump cancel up b them.

Zelbur

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zelbur
OK just played a zss for a good hour the only reason I was loosing was because down throw up air and I'm really curious to know why that doesn't stale after 500 times of using it in the match
Anyone have any definite knowledge of how moves stale and refresh I honestly think it's ridiculous that you can use up air all day and at the end of the match it still can confirm kills
I'm salty because everyone has an easy down throw up air confirm but for GW it's extremely difficult to land
What stales is the knockback that a move receives. After consecutive times of using them, moves start doing less knockback. This doesn't effect the damage or anything else. If you are trying to avoid dying to Dthrow Uair, the only way to escape (given the ZSS player executes correctly) is if ZSS has rage, and you DI away at High %.

Also it sounds like the ZSS was grabbing you a lot. If she grabs to much, she basically makes the game a grab battle. Punish her for using it too much when she wiffs, and maybe stay more in the air, or out of shield.

NotAsian

Smash Journeyman
What stales is the knockback that a move receives. After consecutive times of using them, moves start doing less knockback. This doesn't effect the damage or anything else. If you are trying to avoid dying to Dthrow Uair, the only way to escape (given the ZSS player executes correctly) is if ZSS has rage, and you DI away at High %.

Also it sounds like the ZSS was grabbing you a lot. If she grabs to much, she basically makes the game a grab battle. Punish her for using it too much when she wiffs, and maybe stay more in the air, or out of shield.
OK I think I was di ing in I didn't know I could escape it. This zss was in my head though I've never been grabbed soo many times it's like she would catch my landing or catch me mid air with a grab somehow.

Also i know I can crouch under her grab as GW and Kirby but can you not crouch it near the end where it curls? It seemed it would only let me crouch in the middle and point blank with her but at the end it would still get me

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323

Move staling decreases the damage a move does. Damage is one of the key parameters in the knockback and hitstun calculations.

The effect on the bread and butter ZSS combo is interesting. Lower damage/lower hitstun can keep you closer to her at higher percents, yielding a wider workable kill range (especially if the resultant boost kick is still fresh). However, lower hitstun when attempting this combo at low percent can cause it to fail, since the next up air or the next boost kick will not true combo.

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
Move staling decreases the damage a move does. Damage is one of the key parameters in the knockback and hitstun calculations.

The effect on the bread and butter ZSS combo is interesting. Lower damage/lower hitstun can keep you closer to her at higher percents, yielding a wider workable kill range (especially if the resultant boost kick is still fresh). However, lower hitstun when attempting this combo at low percent can cause it to fail, since the next up air or the next boost kick will not true combo.
Till the day we have a guaranteed downsmash lock infinite on certain characters at 0 %when downsmash is fully staled ;).
Also how did defending your Doctors go Tuen?

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
Till the day we have a guaranteed downsmash lock infinite on certain characters at 0 %when downsmash is fully staled ;).
Also how did defending your Doctors go Tuen?
Ah, it didn't! I wanted to do a deeper analysis than was originally proposed, and that forced a delay until late January. The analysis is done and I'm putting a wrap on the dissertation at last. I can't wait to pick up projects here again, but for now I'm still spending nearly all my waking hours on this stuff, heh.

RawAubstain

Smash Rookie
Hey! I am looking to main this character and I need some tips to help me out! How should I play this character?

Honor

Smash Apprentice
One of the best ways to start is watching vids of good ZZS players. Look at the pinned threads at the top and if you have a *specific* question then ask.

There's a ton of information on how to play ZZS on these threads you just need to take a look around :)

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
Ah, it didn't! I wanted to do a deeper analysis than was originally proposed, and that forced a delay until late January. The analysis is done and I'm putting a wrap on the dissertation at last. I can't wait to pick up projects here again, but for now I'm still spending nearly all my waking hours on this stuff, heh.

Whelp I think I speak for all zero suits when I do this \○/.
Raising my hands so you can have some of that energy bro.

BoxedOccaBerrys

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BoXeDOccaBerrys
Is down-smash a good way to punish the roll getup option?

If so how should i punish after the stunned animation is done? Since i find myself trying to down-B and get a spike...

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Hello ZSS boards, scrubby Megamain here looking for a secondary.

I would like to ask 2 things:
1-How does ZSS fares against Mario, Fox, Yoshi and Sheik? While Sheik gives everyone trouble, for Mega in particular, this is one sad MU :I
I see you guys are now discussing Fox, and from what i read it seems to be even.

2- Would you say she is a "technically demanding" character? As in is she hard to play/master to do well with her?

Last edited:

David Viran

Smash Lord
Hello ZSS boards, scrubby Megamain here looking for a secondary.

I would like to ask 2 things:
1-How does ZSS fares against Mario, Fox, Yoshi and Sheik? While Sheik gives everyone trouble, for Mega in particular, this is one sad MU :I
I see you guys are now discussing Fox, and from what i read it seems to be even.

2- Would you say she is a "technically demanding" character? As in is she hard to play/master to do well with her?
1) Good, good, good, and good enough.

2) Yes.

Top Bottom