• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Zero Suit Samus- Quick Question, Quick Answer Thread

NNID
Shado_Chimera
3DS FC
2019-9854-8378
That results in a B Reverse. If I'm running and jump right, press B, and hammer left, I'll face (and move) left and fire left.

I want to be running and jump right, do the correct input so that I face right, move left, face right, and fire right. I believe this is called a Wave Bounce. I'd find a video if I weren't at work... I'll see what I can dig up later.
Yes that's called wave bounce. You can also use the C stick if it's set to tilts which will let you use it on the ground.

Non C stick method:
Moving right in the air, hit left, do neutral B, hit right.

Tilt stick method:
Hold right, C stick left + B (same frame)

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
Yes that's called wave bounce. You can also use the C stick if it's set to tilts which will let you use it on the ground.

Non C stick method:
Moving right in the air, hit left, do neutral B, hit right.

Tilt stick method:
Hold right, C stick left + B (same frame)
Whoo boy, that sounds tough. I'll give it some practice! Thanks a bunch!

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
A reverse turns you around. A wave bounce you face the same way.

DeLux

Does the dual stick method actually work still? I tested it with smash stick since I did most of the technical writing on the topic for Brawl, but didn't get it to work. Surprised if tilt sticks work but not surprised lol

BatShark

Smash Apprentice
Q - Does playing a very good Sheik as ZSS make anyone else want to quit this game or is it just me?

BatShark

Smash Apprentice
Pretty much. I feel like if the Sheik plays correctly the neutral is unwinnable in that MU. It's super daunting.

DeLux

Food for thought then: If you can't win the neutral, don't play the neutral. If you don't play the neutral long enough, you start to be able to play the neutral.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
This all depends on whether or not you can actually hit people with spaced nairs crouching, ever.

Neutral against sheik is awkward, she gets a lot more out of crouching and playing extremely passively than say.... Pikachu.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Yeah, I've been on this train for a while. Sheik is ZSS's hardest matchup by far imo. Its winnable, but it comes down to maximizing each scarce punish/read you get in ways that Sheik can't. I don't really struggle against general high level Sheiks, but against the Mr. Rs and Falses of the world, I haven't quite figured it out yet.

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
I kinda find shiek typically easy as well if I'm generally losing its cause I'm bad trying to get them free boost kicks... her pokes and awkward landing positions piss me off to no end though....

Some thing tells me pp d smash /up tilt will probably tip the scales in ZSS's favor but if the shiek is of that Mr R/false level.... I need to get bopper by them so that I can learn better.

Has anyone actually gotten the "possible " straight up murder 0-60% ish chain grab that shiek has Landed on them yet? Those are probably the shieks to fear.

David Viran

Smash Lord
Yeah, I've been on this train for a while. Sheik is ZSS's hardest matchup by far imo. Its winnable, but it comes down to maximizing each scarce punish/read you get in ways that Sheik can't. I don't really struggle against general high level Sheiks, but against the Mr. Rs and Falses of the world, I haven't quite figured it out yet.
I can't compare myself to Mr r or falses sheik because the skill gap is so large I would get bopped no matter who I'm using.

Edit: random question what dairs does zss's uair lose to. I was in a tournament against a link recently and he used dair when above me and I beat it clean with uair. I heard diddy's uair can't do that.

Last edited:

BatShark

Smash Apprentice
Not sure it's necessarily her toughest MU but I think it's one of the three. She just gets so much free pressure, and can cover spacing mistakes with Ftilt. I feel like you need a read and some sort of timing mistake to punish any of her approaches, seeing as she's un-shield grabbable unless she gets caught spamming Ftilt one too many times. Nair is too slow compared to her aerials to even act as a wall unless it's retreating and then they repeat until you're out of stage.

David Viran

Smash Lord
Not sure it's necessarily her toughest MU but I think it's one of the three. She just gets so much free pressure, and can cover spacing mistakes with Ftilt. I feel like you need a read and some sort of timing mistake to punish any of her approaches, seeing as she's un-shield grabbable unless she gets caught spamming Ftilt one too many times. Nair is too slow compared to her aerials to even act as a wall unless it's retreating and then they repeat until you're out of stage.
Bruh up b oos will destroy misspaces. Oos jab also will work against misspaces. Her ftilt is not a move to cover mistakes with when you got a frame 2 jab.

Last edited:

BatShark

Smash Apprentice
Food for thought then: If you can't win the neutral, don't play the neutral. If you don't play the neutral long enough, you start to be able to play the neutral.
This might be the way to go here.

And for the record this is mostly due to one particular Sheik player I frequently play with. The rest in the region that I play usually create enough inefficiencies that the core of the MU isn't as relevant.

Though I am also trash so there's that too.

BatShark

Smash Apprentice
Bruh up b oos will destroy misspaces. Oos jab also will work against misspaces. Her ftilt is not a move to cover mistakes with when you got a frame 2 jab.
I've had some limited success with Jab. Up B I don't do until kill % and by then they're expecting.

And against a correctly spaced Fair approach?

David Viran

Smash Lord
I've had some limited success with Jab. Up B I don't do until kill % and by then they're expecting.

And against a correctly spaced Fair approach?
Jab works on fair for sure and up b doesn't seem to stale that much because the multiple hits. Yeah at higher percents they expect you to punish misspaces with up b and kill them so they have to be super careful.

I thought we were talking about misspaces with everything not spaced fairs but even then PS can punish that. I would not say sheik really gets free pressure in this MU.
Also nair has range that sheik could only dream about actually all of zss's aerials out range sheiks. Just learn to use superior range in the air over attack speed easier said than done though.

BatShark

Smash Apprentice
Jab works on fair for sure and up b doesn't seem to stale that much because the multiple hits. Yeah at higher percents they expect you to punish misspaces with up b and kill them so they have to be super careful.

I thought we were talking about misspaces with everything not spaced fairs but even then PS can punish that. I would not say sheik really gets free pressure in this MU.
Also nair has range that sheik could only dream about actually all of zss's aerials out range sheiks. Just learn to use superior range in the air over attack speed easier said than done though.
Sort of, it was just one aspect of my original complaint though, the premise of which being that if Sheik plays correctly I'm not convinced the neutral is anything other than hugely in her favor.

I haven't had very much success with Nair at all. I have to be retreating or her speed beats my range and then like I said, repeat until out of stage.

CatStache

Smash Cadet
NNID
CatStache
Best options to punish, at low percent, and medium percent? (Excluding High percent because thats obviously a kill move punish.)

BatShark

Smash Apprentice
Nair or falling Uair probably.

What kind of situations do you mean though?

Last edited:

Wyles

Smash Cadet
what are some good followups after a utilt in mid-high percents?

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
I dont think, uptilt has follow ups.
It has some cool down, and it kills at high percents.

But other wise, up air,
Read air dodges and punish,
Nair?

eveningninja

Smash Apprentice
Do most of the pro ZSS's use B-stick or Smash-stick or Tilt-stick? If there is no obvious choice, what are the advantages of each?

Thanks.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
I think b sticking makes b reversals ans wave bounces easier. (Aside from neutral special reversals.)

In smash 4 tilt sticking allows you to keep your aerial momentum while attacking.

Smash sticking just makes it simplr to perform smash attacks.

Equin0x

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Th3Equin0x
3DS FC
0189-9475-0972
How to flip-jump off of a wall? I've only ever done it on accident and cannot figure out how to do it on purpose. Help?

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
On the 3DS version, I try to use her down A air attack but sometimes instead of going all the way down with the kick, she sort of floats in the air. Is there a reason for this?

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
As a zss main, i find the samus mu drull and annoying.

Heres how it goes:

Samus: missle missile roll roll d smash missle charge shot roll roll d tilt roll dash attack missle misile charge shot.roll roll

So much to work through, and since samus roll is so long its so hard for me to punish.
Then i have to deal with charge shot spam that wittles my shield so much.

Thats why i counter pick villager against samus: lloid blocks charge shot, tree blocks everything
Roll spam is still annoying and since villager is slow, i still cant punish that.
And i can pocket when i need to.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I feel it's pretty awful because we're a lot faster, similar range, a lot of our stuff is safe. Zair kills rockets and hits you and combos into things and we kill her.

I feel it's a terriiiibad match up too.

Probalo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mattoswine
3DS FC
4356-0295-3822
Switch FC
SW 5442-3764-0807
What are some good moves to use out of short hop to attack opponents on the ground?

Top Bottom