• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zero Suit Samus Questions & Answers

joenm8r

Smash Cadet
Dojo Update March 20, 2008

From Smash Dojo:

"Ah, the Smash Taunt—a technique available only to Solid Snake and the Star Fox characters. Rumor has it that this technique helps you communicate with your allies.

To activate it, do a down taunt for just a split second—but only on a specific stage when you’re controlling a specific character.

It’s that simple—however, you need to get a knack for it. If you’re using the +Control Pad, you may want to try to just quickly scratch it..."

Any chance this is the method for transforming to ZSS from Samus as well. I've read places that to activate these little sequences you are supposed to rapidly press up and down on the d-pad. This says that all that needs to be done is for the taunt to be pressed for the shortest amount of time possible. Sounds a lot simpler with written confirmation of how to do it. Somebody give it a shot, seems like it would work on any controller set-up, as long as you have a taunt button.

*EDIT*
Disregard everything I said above. I tried using the above technique to switch to ZSS and it did not work, for confirmation I used the trick on Snake and both of the space mammals (don't have Wolf yet). That works as advertised.

Sorry to waste space on here, I'm kinda disappointed because I have yet to pull this trick off.

Elvis_Maximus

Smash Rookie
I really enjoy playing ZSS; her move set is great and she's just generally fun to play.

However I always run into an issue where I miss grabs and end up getting heavily punished on the recovery time. So I guess the question is, when is an appropriate time to use her grab (since frankly, it leads into such great combos that you really have to use it)? Only when they're stunned? Also does the shield grabbing thing make a huge difference? I haven't played with it too much yet.

Dakalador

Smash Rookie
What are tips for playing ZSS on Final Destination against characters almost only using projectiles and spam rolling (ex. Toon Link and Lucario)?

flyingpork002

Smash Apprentice
is it possible to do the switch from samus to zss using the wii + nunchuck configuration by pressing 121 very fast

Newuser12345215

Smash Journeyman
From Smash Dojo:

"Ah, the Smash Taunt—a technique available only to Solid Snake and the Star Fox characters. Rumor has it that this technique helps you communicate with your allies.

To activate it, do a down taunt for just a split second—but only on a specific stage when you’re controlling a specific character.

It’s that simple—however, you need to get a knack for it. If you’re using the +Control Pad, you may want to try to just quickly scratch it..."

Any chance this is the method for transforming to ZSS from Samus as well. I've read places that to activate these little sequences you are supposed to rapidly press up and down on the d-pad. This says that all that needs to be done is for the taunt to be pressed for the shortest amount of time possible. Sounds a lot simpler with written confirmation of how to do it. Somebody give it a shot, seems like it would work on any controller set-up, as long as you have a taunt button.

*EDIT*
Disregard everything I said above. I tried using the above technique to switch to ZSS and it did not work, for confirmation I used the trick on Snake and both of the space mammals (don't have Wolf yet). That works as advertised.

Sorry to waste space on here, I'm kinda disappointed because I have yet to pull this trick off.
The trick to switch from Samus to ZSS is not to press "up down up"

The trick is to "mash VERY RAPIDLY" the buttons "Up" and "Down.

Use a classic controller or gamecube controller so you can taunt with the Dpad(But this also works with Wii remote and Nunchuck).

Ok, hold the controller sideways, so that your thumbs are on the "Up" and "Down" arrow buttons.

First, press "Up" to do the up taunt. While the up taunt is going off, rapidly press both "Up" and "down" repetitively till you transform. Just mash the buttons, the game doesn't care about the order you press the buttons, just mash both "up" and "down" taunts as fast as possible.

This is almost guaranteed to let you switch from Samus to ZSS easily, with no fuss, no strains, no troubles.

You should be able to transform in less than a second or two doing that.

You might want to practice on a training stage but you should get it within the first try doing that.

is it possible to do the switch from samus to zss using the wii + nunchuck configuration by pressing 121 very fast
Probably, I haven't tried it. Try pressing "1" then "2" rapidly(mash the buttons as fast as you can) to try to transform.

Edit: I just tried it out, and you can switch from Samus to ZSS easily with the Wiiremote + Nunchuck.

Hold the Wiiremote sideways, make sure both your thumb is on the "One" and "Two" buttons. Now, press "ONE" THEN "TWO"(REPEAT) AS FAST AS YOU CAN. You should be able to do it.

Make sure you don't press "One + Two" buttons at the same time, as this activates the side taunt.

Also about people who asked if you can set computers to Zero Suit Samus, unfortunately I don't think you can. The only way computers can play as ZSS seems to be the Smash ball.

I tried "holding the shield button"(the trick to play as ZSS) but it doesn't work for computers, only for you.

Personified Envy

Smash Rookie
I think the easiest way for the nunchuk + wiimote is to place your knuckle on the 1, then slide it down and up as fast as you can to the 2 then back to the one.

Always gives it to me on the first try.

But i'm a gamecube controller user and i put my thumb on the d-pad, apply pressure on the d-pad as if it were a button, then rock it up and down.

nandez

Smash Rookie
I use the wiimote to do the transformation. I'd like to see if it would work on the gamecube controller or classic, but on the wiimote I launch her strong missile (f+1) then immediately hold the taunt button (A) and press Down rapidly. Samus will begin the initial movements of her standing taunt then kneel down to transform. I can transform , as long as its uninterupted, everytime and I've found it was the easiest and fastest way to do it.

C.S. Dinah

Smash Champion
When will there be a great time to use the flip jump/down B?
And what I mean about flip jump I mean attack out of it.
Basic Spike

nandez

Smash Rookie
When will there be a great time to use the flip jump/down B?
And what I mean about flip jump I mean attack out of it.
Basic Spike

I usually use it near edges (ZSS with her back to the edge) and after I get closer to the ground. Sometimes it makes the other guy pop at a slight angle straight up.

nmaster64

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nmaster64
3DS FC
4210-3983-6182
Okay I give up... I've been trying but I can't pull of Zero Suit Samus triple Down Smash...It scared the hell out of me the first time i saw it...

How do you do that?

she did 3 dsmash in a split second... I was about to rush at her that time when i saw the first one but i jumped away cause 2 more followed immediatly WITHOUT a recovery time :S... seriously... she skipped frames...
A friend said the above to me, and I haven't been able to figure out or find anything about a super split-second triple dsmash...could this have been some kinda glitch due to online lag or does such a thing exist?

tag yeah

Smash Cadet
Question about transforming, I have never been able to switch from Samus to ZSS after the match has started. I am aware i need to hit up/down/up on the control pad, fairly fast. I still have never been successful with this :(. could anyone PM me if they know a rhythm that woks, or something helpful.

nmaster64

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nmaster64
3DS FC
4210-3983-6182
Question about transforming, I have never been able to switch from Samus to ZSS after the match has started. I am aware i need to hit up/down/up on the control pad, fairly fast. I still have never been successful with this :(. could anyone PM me if they know a rhythm that woks, or something helpful.
It really is rather difficult to do for some reason. I advise this thread: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=155697

SilverLight

Smash Apprentice
Transforming is actually the one thing I can do relatively well. I use a Classic Controller, so that MAY be a factor. Let me explain my technique, if you haven't already checked out the thread you were linked to, and if you have, then assuming my technique is not already in that thread:

Hold the controller sideways with the directional pad at the top. Place right index finger over the down button, which should be on the left, and right middle finger over the up button, which should be on the right. Press down with both. Now quickly alternate weight between your two fingers. This should prevent accidentally hitting the left and right directional buttons, as well as making it easy to pull off the transformation quickly. Keep shifting weight between fingersuntil she transforms. Try to be accurate, not sloppy. Sometimes I get overly hasty and she keeps taunting.

The disadvantage is obviously that you're holding the controller in an awkward position, but if you practice this a couple times you should be able to pull this off instantly, and get back to battle. If your friends are oh so kind like mine, they back off for a second while you transform (actually that makes me feel cheap, but still).

C.S. Dinah

Smash Champion
I usually use it near edges (ZSS with her back to the edge) and after I get closer to the ground. Sometimes it makes the other guy pop at a slight angle straight up.
I most likely get my self SDed doing that:laugh:.

I always thought that using flip jump as soon as someone comes off the ground

Thanks for your answer

teh_w0lf

Smash Cadet
dont really know if this is the place to ask but who are the current top ZSS players?...I'm really not all that impressed with PYRO and CLAW...although CHILLIN has an interesting style...although I have a feeling its going to get him killed...alot

Justaway

Smash Apprentice
if you side+b right before hitting the ground will it cancel some/all of the lag?

BoredPeanut

Smash Journeyman
Okay, I keep having this weird glitch on my Wii. I'm not sure if it's happened to other people, and I didn't really see a thread on it but sorry if there's already a topic about this.

But, sometimes when I go to start the match the map will load and Zamus will be standing with her arms straight out and wont move. Her armor isn't there at all, on the ground or on her body. She just stands there with her arms spread out and her legs straight. If you try and move her she just slides around the map like that and a few seconds after moving her the Wii will beep really loudly and crash. It's happened to me several times now and I really can't figure out why.

kook321

Smash Apprentice
I have just started playing ZSS and I was wondering if when does her up-b bring your opponent down. Does it only happen when you get your opponent at the tip?

James Sparrow

Smash Master
dont really know if this is the place to ask but who are the current top ZSS players?...I'm really not all that impressed with PYRO and CLAW...although CHILLIN has an interesting style...although I have a feeling its going to get him killed...alot
there's a tournament results thread for zss players.

GetSmashedWithTheBros

Smash Apprentice
Okay I'm bugged Samus can talk in this game, but I wanna know what she says in that one victory pose.
yeah, i actually tested this last night. her voice is really quiet, but you can hear it by out-balancing the sfx and the music. she says "is that all?", "you're mine", and "try me" in her three taunts.

also, playing without music on and only sfx is interesting, but really weird :p

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Wow that's funny she says that. Ivy from soul calibur 2 said that too, also a hottie with a whip... coincidence?
I always assumed it was a reference to her Paralyzer. But I do think the association with Ivy is neat.

Unfortunately, ZSS cannot be as high up on the tiers as Ivy. :(

Adapt

Smash Lord
i think so, and i also think certain moves (up-smash) are also considered electric. But i don't have any proof or anything

Master Peach

Smash Ace
I'm not sure if anyone knew about this, so I'm just gonna go ahead and ask. Did anyone know that Zamus has a forth Special jump. By special I mean Extra. This jump can be done after Zamus uses her down B. When doing the down b, close towards the end of it, use the jump quickly in either direction [Right/Left]. Samus should summersault a great distance across the stage.

Also you can do any attack out of it. It's much easier to perform this when using it as a footstool or jumping on someone head. You can also do this on the Sandbag. I haven't done too much with this, but all I know is when you do this you fly quite far with it and it a good way to fly at ur opponent and kill him outside the arena.

One last thing the height of this jump is only as big a peach's Second jump.

I'll ask the question again. Has anyone done this already, or am I the first to find it.

Reason I ask is because I haven't seen any discussion on it.

Foda

Smash Apprentice
That jump is done in the middle of the down b if you are above a player, it's the same as a foot stool just a whole mess cooler because it's ZSS doing her down b. You can only do that move above a player or on an edge, not really a 4th jump but you can use it to escape things I suppose.

Master Peach

Smash Ace
That jump is done in the middle of the down b if you are above a player, it's the same as a foot stool just a whole mess cooler because it's ZSS doing her down b. You can only do that move above a player or on an edge, not really a 4th jump but you can use it to escape things I suppose.
Oh ok. thanks for clearing that up.

What's odd though is I first did this in All-Star mode in the rest area, and I managed to pull it off with no one or nothing around. And I managed to do it again and again after that. Zamus can do this without having anyone around.

Foda

Smash Apprentice
Maybe in the all-star rest zone, but I myself have tried a long while to make this move worth something. It works with no one around if you do it next to something you can grab onto (the same way you can wall jump off those tiny ledges) but otherwise you need to be over someone. I'll have to try it in the all star rest zone and see what you're talking about there...

MzNetta

Oh no she betta don't
NNID
ParisNicholson
3DS FC
4940-5470-2081
You were able to pull it off in the all star rest zone because you probably did it over a heart container.
Whats so amazing about this special footstool of hers is that she can footstool characters, items, some projectiles, pokemon from pokeballs and assist trophy characters.
Its THAT cool.

Top Bottom