• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda's Personal Matchup Thread

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
AL gets some (offline) vids of your Zelda up. I'm curious to see your playstyle.

Requesting vids of Lucario, Zero Suit Samus, Pikachu, and King Dedede.
I doubt my playstyle would differ greatly from offline to online.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Okay let's see online then. :D
Here are some old vids that I have I don't have any recorded vs pika or ZSS.

VS Lucario
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlOujwbYI0M&feature=channel_video_title
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z6XA1i46bY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nvd-VlZOigQ

VS d3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr6jQxkvQkk&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_6cb3KZL38

Those are the only vids I have against those guys and I won't be able to get any MU's uploaded anytime soon. Unless I decide to get a recoder of my own which is something I wouldn't mind doing. But then I'd have to buy brawl again since the one I have currently doesn't play all the characters (which is something I don't want to do for $45). But we'll see. I still more or less play like that.

AlanHaTe

Smash Ace
and I still don't know what the hell I'm doing wrong against ROB because I still suck against him and almost everyone make it look easy and say it's easy and/or not that bad T.T

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
All I gotta say is that I think Wifi makes players worse than they actually are and I hope the D3 doesn't play that way in real life...

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
All I gotta say is that I think Wifi makes players worse than they actually are and I hope the D3 doesn't play that way in real life...
I couldn't tell you how those d3's play IRL or if they even play IRL` I let you in on a secret though a lot of top players play online.

just outta curiosity what region are you from?

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
-4 no contest at all. Blues and purples completely destroy Zelda. Olimar completely outranges Zelda with smashes and grabs. Pikmin throw gives Zelda a lot of troubles. Purple up smash kills Zelda at 90% and the grabs kill slightly later...

inb4ALsaysits+4Zelda

:phone:

AlanHaTe

Smash Ace
grab grab grab, throw pikmin hmmm what else...

I really don't know how the hell I play this, but I thought of something that seemed to be a good idea as it actually worked...

try to be not that far so he throws some pikmin but obviously try to not get "pikmined" or as few as possible and he'll have few pikmin remaining and is like a good chance to get some damage or the gimp if everything goes right...

still I don't think a smart olimar will let that happen :(

it's like the worst thing ever, it isn't even funny or anything in this one I have to say it's a -4 it just sucks

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
I think the only redeeming quality in this MU is that we can possibly get early kills thanks to Dtilt and Dsmash. Otherwise, mostly agree with everything that's been said.

In between -3/-4 for me, closer to -3 but still our worst MU.

Mocha

Coffee Addict
In the land of princesses, frogs, and dragons
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
One of my most hated MUs... and one of my most known. This is probably one of my most commonly played MUs.

Pikmin throw. Almost every competent and non competent Olimar you fight will start off the match by throwing pikmin at you. They do this to rack up damage, and force you to approach. Pikmin are unique 'projectiles' due to the different properties each color has, and the fact that just shielding them will not help, unlike other projectiles. In fact, shielding them will just cause the pikmin to latch on your shield and deal damage. However I do believe you can shield purple pikmin. Each pikmin color can mess you up in several ways...

Red: Can stop Din's Fire, does decent damage as an up air. Probably the least annoying pikmin imo
Blue: These don't actually stop any of your moves but they are powerful with back throw, and even up smash. Oh and they are the only pikmin that don't die in the water, in case you're at Delfino.
Yellow: VERY annoying pikmin for us due to it having electrical properties and stopping our own electrical moves. Also makes a decent up smash KO
White: Travels the furthest when thrown, and if you don't shake it off once it latches on you, it can deal ******** damage. Worst thing ever is if you're stuck using Din's Fire while that thing is on you, or he can latch it on you, grab/pummel for extra damage
Purple: Godly KO power, especially with upsmash. As a throwing pikmin, it goes the shortest distance, but what makes this different from the others is that this pikmin has actual knockback when it hits you

How do we deal with these little buggers? Well we have several ways, but I'll go over the most practical (at least in my opinion) way. We can use our Nair to shake off the pikmin... even the yellow ones! This is yet another reason for Zeldas to make better use of Nair Cancels, because we can mix in our pikmin gtfo move with follow-ups. The main problem with Nair Cancel against Olimar is his upsmash, which I'll get into in a bit. Zelda's down tilt can also stop pikmin, however this is most notably when he's near the edge. You can KILL pikmin if you hit him at the edge, which is very bad for him because if he starts losing pikmin from your d-tilt, it's a free gimp against him. You can also reflect pikmin with Nayru's Love, however as everyone knows, this can be baited and punished due to Nayru's cooldown, so be careful with how you use it. I rarely use Zelda's other attacks to shake pikmin off, because I want them all fresh, though I wouldn't be surprised if her smashes can knock some of them away (except for maybe yellow, unless it's a down smash).

So how do we approach this guy once we try and get past his pikmin throw? Well, first off, always be expecting Olimars to grab/pivot grab you when you start getting close - and upsmash if you're at high percents. I'd spent a certain about of time simply Nairing for awhile to shake off pikmin and show him that I'm actually going to try and mix it up as to when I approach him rather than just rush in wildly. As you're Nairing, try and pay attention to how many Pikmin he has left, and what colors. If he's just throwing pikmin and he's running low, that would be my cue to start approaching. If you're at high percents and he has a couple of purple pikmin out, I would think twice before approaching.

As nice as nair cancel is, his upsmash sadly can shut down this option if we're not careful. If we manage to nair cancel just out of reach of his upsmash and try to punish, that could be an idea, however keep in mind that his upsmash isn't exactly slow at coolodown, even if he does miss.

Another great move to use against Olimar as an approach is dash attack. Mind you, don't be predictable with it (or he'll grab you out of it). Dash attack him near the edge and it either knocks him up for you to nair, up air, or punish his landing. Or it'll knock him in front of you, in which you can follow up with another dash attack or dash grab. Also if you knock him off stage with dash attack, go for the edgehog. His recovery sucks. Just be careful with random pikmin stage spikes

Upsmashing his landing is great. Even if he whistles, the multi-hit will still have a chance to hit him, though keep in mind that it is possible for him to whistle + upsmash of his own if he manages to time it perfectly.

Nair also puts a lot of pressure on him if he's on a platform, and is a decent juggling tool against him. His own nair can sometimes stop our nair approaches though. Speaking of Olimar's nair, they like to nair cancel into upsmash. It is possible to SDI his nair, but tricky because it requires fast, immediate reaction.

Also, Zelda's f-throw at low percents can possibly follow-up with a sweet spot fair if you buffer it just right.

Mocha

Coffee Addict
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
Yep! Especially now since MK is going to be banned.

Most notable Olimars I've played here so far are Denti and Sync. There are some others too that I can't remember the name atm. Oh and Dabuz is coming to TX this weekend for the Lone Star Circuit tourney to MM Ultimate Razer's Snake, and yeah, that'd be cool if I get a chance to play him

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Yep! Especially now since MK is going to be banned.

Most notable Olimars I've played here so far are Denti and Sync. There are some others too that I can't remember the name atm. Oh and Dabuz is coming to TX this weekend for the Lone Star Circuit tourney to MM Ultimate Razer's Snake, and yeah, that'd be cool if I get a chance to play him
Ah, I see thats cool

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
I think Asa's flying over to be in that tourney too Mocha.

You want a reason how Sheik helps Zelda AL? Olimar.

Think I might set AL to ignore soon...

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Bryan destroys my Zelda so badly. And like you said he has mu experience from DM.

He said to me you have a really good Zelda. ;) Think you'll like him he's a very energetic guy in real life.

Mocha

Coffee Addict
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
Bryan destroys my Zelda so badly. And like you said he has mu experience from DM.

He said to me you have a really good Zelda. ;) Think you'll like him he's a very energetic guy in real life.

Yeah Oli is tough, especially one that knows the Zelda MU.

And he seems like a nice enough guy, talked to him a couple of times on AiB's chat. I can't wait!

Better bring my frying pan and start cooking pikmin for breakfast

MechaWave

Smash Champion
-4, no questions asked.

Most of my MU experience with this is with Peach, seeing as how she has a +1 against him or something, so I rarely pick Zelda, so I can't give a huge take with this one. Olimar will always have the lead in this MU.

Once we get to D3 I'll give much more insight.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
^Might as well give your two cents then since we already passed D3.

AyatoK26

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kaminakid
-4 Probably the most one sided non-cg or non-infinited MU in the game, bar MK vs Ganon.

Don't approach? Pikmin Toss forces you to approach
Approach? His Grabs, smashes, and aerials are all better than ours by a wide margin.
Force him to approach? With what? Let's not even go there.

Not trying to be overly pessimistic but yea, it's that bad. -4

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
um...... do numbers even matter in this matchup? Its terrible, bordering on unwinnable. tips would be nice in this matchup...... but I'd rather just switch to peach vs. Olimar.

Hard counter. 85:15 Olimar. Sounds right to me... not like it matters. point is, we know to avoid this matchup if we can :/

AlanHaTe

Smash Ace
it's one of the things that make me go so mad regarding MK's ban =_=

another thing to remember is that when he's pulling pikmin out he can do whatever he wants instantly be it a smash or whatever else, but most commonly used is Fsmash ._.

sometimes has happened to me that this little $"$%$"!"#$"%$ managed to get past the whole(?) Usmash with whistle's super armor... we could bait the whistle and punish hard but still is hard to do... at least for me...

*goes to check frame data*

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
-4 Probably the most one sided non-cg or non-infinited MU in the game, bar MK vs Ganon.
a bit off topic, but I always thought shiek vs. ganondorf was worse than Olimar vs. Zelda . . . not like thats saying much . . .

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
that's super cool fujen. good posts should be treated with good responses. so is this my cue to start talking about what that olimar did wrong and why i disagree with ur number? should be... but according to some...nope... i should be calling you delusional instead and leaving it at that :awesome: was my point not clear?

edit: i think campy olimar is unwinnable imo. deals too much damage and walls her out of everything. o down b we love uuu :grin: the only saving grave is having him offstage. i think once he's knocked into the air/offstage she has to be on to him like a tramp on chips with successful godly reads otherwise it's game over. ven/rich brown was exciting but you could see rich brown was in control of that entire round. Ven got in some amazeballz kicks and kept it close but even with godly reads you can see how difficult the matchup is, plus we couldn't see round 2 of that set.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
I think the one thing that destroyed this thread is the word "personal". Anecdotal proof is great and all that but seriously?

Top Bottom