• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda's Nair

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Seems to have some potential as a combo starter.

I know Zelda as a whole is just kicks, f-smash, d-smash, and sometimes d-tilt if they meet a percent requirement but I was experimenting with Nair and it seems to have some potential, especially vs floaties. I was able to consistently Nair --> Kick vs Puff, Luigi, Zelda when I hit certain parts of the hitbox consistently.

The problem is, I don't know what parts of the hitbox are useful. It can sometimes send straight up and other times it puts them behind you. If you hit the last hit without hitting any others it sends forward.

I think this may become a useful asset to her, since anything that sets up kick is useful. If not then whatever, but it might be fun to explore.

Anyone with Nair experience got information to share?

nekokatsu

Smash Apprentice
I suggested the same thing in the strats topic u.u... they just ignored me xDDD
i use a lot n air, especially when im comming back to the stage, or when im close to the edge (the enemy pushing me towards the edge), it always get them behind (in my opinion N air has to hit at least 50% of the frames to put them behind...), people get shocked after getting behind when they just a sec ago had the advantage and i kick them out xD...

vs fox and falco its just hilarious...

u can N air grab behind also, thats good and faster.

Zone

Smash Champion
Pretty sure a big reason you can't predict where they go after you land has to do with their di. And How early you hit the ground with nair which will alter what hitbox hits them last.

nekokatsu

Smash Apprentice
lol thats why they always get behind me XDDD, well if we consider oponent DI wouldnt be so hard to predict...
90% of the time get them behind now that DI is in consideration.

cuz when youre retreating u Use wave dash, not Dash, and if U dash back, its probably to Dash Dance, or not?

PNaleek

Smash Journeyman
This is what I do if I'm going for a kick:

1) Shorthop Kick ->
2a.) If they block it or I miss, I keep my momentum going so I pass through them. Then, I Nair to grab.
2b.) If I hit, I continue with whatever I see fit.

It's one of my favorite things to do, really. I love Nair.

MarthFanatique

Smash Journeyman
I've noticed that it can combo fast fallers out of Uthrow and some characters out of Dthrow. Situational move, but a nice gimmicky mixup for sure.

TheLake

Smash Master
you can do nair to nair on mid - weights like doc

its...not very effective

nair is legit when your like falling on people

AND TEAMS

ooooo man o man nair is soooooo goood in teams

Shag

Smash Cadet
I use Nair a lot actually, like ppl have said, when falling on ppl it's good, i also use it when jumping up on shielding opponets on platforms, it tends to shield poke. Also I have nair to u-smash ppl come up thru a platform, only problem is they must DI straight up, usually ppl are holding down when they tech on platforms, and i find it better to just waveland grab them

All and all, very situational move... however I did Kill PP coming back on the stage nair, he went behind dash attack to fair... only time i remember it comboing well tho

Shag

Smash Cadet
OH, and like the lake said, nair to nair works on mid/lights, i find you can nair and double jump dair or fair depending on % and DI... More on this later, gonna look thru some gameplay videos and see if i have any examples.

TheLake

Smash Master
Overlord! <3<3<3

mad homo for dair

oooh shag snag dem videos ma man

and we will tear up the joint

Shag

Smash Cadet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMaIC6DM6IM#t=1m44s

Just happens sometimes, better to u-smash outta it but the tilt worked this time :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMaIC6DM6IM#t=6m55s

Same thing i try and do usually, however i should have dash attacked and he woulda been off the stage w/ no double jump... usmash only worked cause he got ancy and jumped into it...

That's all old footage but I'll see if i can't get some more :)

OH, and Yeah i still enter tourneys from time to time... School and work have been getting in the way for the LONGEST... I plan on going to gen 2 if i can :)

Shag

Smash Cadet
I love Nair. It good when on a platform above you, and you full hop nair into them lol. Or if they shield it grab them right after. A
^ this, if it hits and they go above you you can grab at lower precents (they must be di'ing up)

if they shield it pokes a lot, @ low %'s u can grab or dash attack if they don't go far, but other times it just sends them in random directions.

Problem is all my friends have learned to DI down, and they just slide off the platform... gives em more % but they're happy not to be grabbed or usmashed into other stuff

Shag

Smash Cadet
I'm going to play this weekend, trying to get enuf footage to make a second video (might call it "what's down b?") but i'll only make one once i have more footage against non fast fallers... had a zero to death on a dr mario and a ganon combo but i washed my flash drive :(

On a side note, i'll nair a lot heh

Shag

Smash Cadet
OH, and the lake is my hero for taking a game off shiz :)

I took a game off chops at TO5, took him to mute city heh nothing for him to tech there, mad it's not legal anymore i use to go there all the time.

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
DGDTJ (which is next week) only has 7 legal stages for singles (including counter picks). They took out rainbow cruise and brinstar. Makes me wonder if that'll catch on with other tournaments.

Shag

Smash Cadet
idk, i tend to think gay stages make things more interesting as a low teir... Hard to go toe to toe with people on the neutrals sometimes but brinstar and mute city (and green greens i miss that stage...) take a spacie there and let him feel the pwnage... just ban rainbow cruise XD

Zone

Smash Champion
I like rainbow cruise :/. Lol I always troll and see if I can't convince someone to play a tourney match at something crazy like flatzone

Shag

Smash Cadet
never been timed out on rainbow cruise by a super campy fox... zelda's ability to chase is the worst in the game.... j/k but i can't think of anyone who's is worse at chasing...

on a side note i guess i should try to get kids to play on mute city... i think it's one of zelda's best stages because of her recovery vs. other's ability to recover

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
Eh, I don't think it's that great for zelda. She's got a long distance recovery but you're pretty much guaranteed to get hit offstage again anytime you're recovering to that hella small moving platform because of the move's lag. She doesn't do well on stages without edges she can recovery to imo

Not saying that it's a bad stage for her necessarily, but it's not a stage I would probably use as a counterpick anyway so i don't mind that it's not legal anymore

Shag

Smash Cadet
there is like 2 frames of lag on her up b if u do it downward into the ground, u can almost instantly shield. if they arent in position waiting for u 2 land u will most likely be able to block. the reason this is so good on mute city is because u can always hit the track to get popped back up and get a downward angle to reduce landing lag :)

don"t have any clips on me but it works wonders

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
Yeah obviously recovering downward has virtually no lag, but I was talking about recovering from below the stage. I've pretty much never used zelda on mute before, but I guess you could Farores into the track to hit you above the stage again. I've definitely seen that tactic used before with other characters on that stage and it shouldn't be any different with zelda.

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
haha well i just read it as 'dtilt and dair' set up for a kick on floaties at high percent. Since you were just comparing them though that might've been highly sarcastic since nair doesn't set up for a kick very well at all in most situations. I honestly have no idea how well dtilt or dair would work as a setup so because it's not something I've messed around with much.

Zone

Smash Champion
I know if you tech chase a marth on a platform with Downair, and edge cancel it into another downair. the first D-air most of the time knocks him off and then the 2nd one can set up for resets/combos. (edgecancelling obviously means the marth finished his roll at the very edge of a platform incase someone isn't visualizing this correctly)

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
hjjueilhgtjdklbhdriuotds

hold on

EDIT: I'd like to point out that a ff dair is amazing on sheild because it's so... weak lol you can always get a grab after or keep on the sheild pressure

Top Bottom