• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda's model yay or nay?

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Sakurai did create a new design for Pit, though.

Link, Zelda and Sheik are still in their TP looks, because TP was the last game to have an adult Link, an adult Zelda, Sheik and Ganondorf in the same game. (Though Sheik wasn't actually in TP, she was still designed for that game anyway.)

Sakurai is aiming for a consistent art style for the Zelda series characters, Toon Link aside. Even if the characters weren't, the Heart Container was updated to the Skyward Sword look. Plus, the Fairy Bottle has its design taken from Skyward Sword, same for the Gust Bellows, and then there's the Skyloft stage and the Beetle item, so it's not like Skyward Sword is being ignored.

Personally, I think the Zelda series is actually quite balanced when it comes to representation, as you've got items and ATs spanning older and newer games.
Do we know that sakurai was the one who created that though

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Do we know that sakurai was the one who created that though
I'm pretty sure Sakurai designed Pit's new look. He has said so in interviews, as well as a promotional e-mail for Kid Icarus: Uprising.

http://www.ssbwiki.com/File:UprisingSakuraiEmail.png

The reason Sakurai probably didn't go with the SS designs could be that he would have to design Sheik and Ganondorf to be on the same style. That would need the Zelda team's involvement in the game. This would have taken more time to accomplish than simply polish TP's designs to fit the new art style and HD visuals.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure Sakurai designed Pit's new look. He has said so in interviews, as well as a promotional e-mail for Kid Icarus: Uprising.

http://www.ssbwiki.com/File:UprisingSakuraiEmail.png

The reason Sakurai probably didn't go with the SS designs could be that he would have to design Sheik and Ganondorf to be on the same style. That would need the Zelda team's involvement in the game. This would have taken more time to accomplish than simply polish TP's designs to fit the new art style and HD visuals.
I think pit and palutena are the only characters he designed himself but they didn't really have workable designs

Loachy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Loachy
3DS FC
3780-9091-2349
I think she's pretty. Prettier than in Brawl, but I can't put my finger on how exactly...
Though I still don't get the weird metal spike-tipped mummy locks.

Last edited:

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
I think she's pretty. Prettier than in Brawl, but I can't put my finger on how exactly...
Though I still don't get the weird metal spike-tipped mummy locks.
She looks more smooth, looking at her in brawl, it looks like if you touched her you'd cut yourself

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
blank.jpg

Circled all the differences.
Zelda's nose is different, it is more button like and is less elongated. Nose turns up slightly. looks more like her skyward sword counterpart.
Zelda's chin is a little longer now, looks better. It is more balanced looking
The crown is now longer, gem is less stubby.
Ears have been reshaped, more prominent now.
Hair pieces have more cloth- more like Skyward sword appearance
Belt is now larger and more angular.

Last edited:

Loachy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Loachy
3DS FC
3780-9091-2349
Thinner lips? I haven't looked at them side-by-side before. I think her nose and chin the most noticeable to me.
But I guess it is an combination of several small things that make her prettier.

Downdraft

Smash Ace
Her dress and gloves are shiny instead of plain white.
Her expressions are softer; she expresses emotions better.

I agree that she looks prettier and smoother.

Link Sharingan

Smash Ace
Zelda look amazing , i am also glad they based her design on her TP appearance as its my personal favorite design for zelda.

Ixbran

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
4549 - 7836 - 2775
in Brawl her dress looks like its all made from cotton or something, in SSB4 the white of her gown, as well as her gloves, look like silk. and the purple top looks like it might be made of leather, which transitions too the gold shoulder pad nicely.

Ixbran

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
4549 - 7836 - 2775
I can see a series of DLC clothes for the Zelda cast. assuming all characters have at least one alt costume, like little mac and Wii fit trainer have, i can see Link, Zelda, Sheik, and Ganondorf having their OoT designs in game (im pretty sure Ganondorf is coming back). Then as DLC, they release Skyward Sword costumes for Link and Zelda, a Demise costume for Ganondorf, and an Impa costume for Sheik.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
I can see a series of DLC clothes for the Zelda cast. assuming all characters have at least one alt costume, like little mac and Wii fit trainer have, i can see Link, Zelda, Sheik, and Ganondorf having their OoT designs in game (im pretty sure Ganondorf is coming back). Then as DLC, they release Skyward Sword costumes for Link and Zelda, a Demise costume for Ganondorf, and an Impa costume for Sheik.
All of my yes minus the demise and impa, I feel like alt costumes should be just that, costumes, not different characters

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
All of my yes minus the demise and impa, I feel like alt costumes should be just that, costumes, not different characters
Exactly, because then it gets stupid.

Like I love the Daisy alternate costume. Because it's supposed to be Peach LOOKING like Daisy. Not Daisy.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
i thought of skyward swords as the prettiest since it was not a perfect beauty plus i think the rounder nose its cuter.

R0Y

Smash Master
Yay, yay, yay! Looks way better than Brawl. But a SS Alt would also be cool.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
I vote for Ocarina of Time Zelda. Skyward Sword Zelda doesn't fit Smash Bros. That face is too cute to fit Zelda's seriousness. See the comparison?

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
As much as I like Skyward Sword Zelda, her TP apperance is the most fitting for Smash. She is a princess who utilizes her spells to kick ass. SW Zelda is not even royalty, she is a common girl at a common school (until the reveal later on at least).

TP Zelda is a queen/princess through and through.

Last edited:

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
As much as I like Skyward Sword Zelda, her TP apperance is the most fitting for Smash. She is a princess who utilizes her spells to kick ***. SW Zelda is not even royalty, she is a common girl at a common school (until the reveal later on at least).

TP Zelda is a queen/princess through and through.
Exactly, Skyward Sword Zelda doesn't fit in appearance and character for Smash Bros.

R0Y

Smash Master
The blue eyes are piercing now, that's the best update from Brawl where she looks kinda meh.

She looks great now, huge improvement.

Last edited:

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
I vote for Ocarina of Time Zelda. Skyward Sword Zelda doesn't fit Smash Bros. That face is too cute to fit Zelda's seriousness. See the comparison?
Peach_(Super_Mario_3D_World).png

But Peach looks like such a serious fighter. What a ridiculous justification.
Zelda isn't even that serious of a character, Just because she was incapable of any emotion in one game doesn't mean she has to be portrayed as emo from now on. Plus twilight princess is such an old game now, it is time to move on from old character models.
And Skyward Sword Zelda is probably a better fighter than any other incarnation seeing as she made it through practically all the same dungeons as Link (With the help of impa of course)

Last edited:

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
View attachment 13058
Zelda isn't even that serious of a character, Just because she was incapable of any emotion in one game doesn't mean she has to be portrayed as emo from now on. Plus twilight princess is such an old game now, it is time to move on from old character models.
First of that is peach's character in every game she's in, zelda is usually serious, the original 2 didn't have character at all but in a link to the past, OoT and TP, some of the most popular entries in the franchise she's serious and that's what we expect of her now, plus TP was the last time Link, Zelda and Ganondorf were all in the same game and art style mixing the different styles would just be weird and TP is a bigger difference from wind wakers toon link

Last edited:

L2 Sentinel

Smash Apprentice
I'm surprised at how many people like the SS Zelda design. The whole reason I didn't play Skyward Sword was because Zelda's design looked so derpy to me.

The comparison to Peach is actually an interesting point. We already have a goofy blonde princess in pink. We don't need two. Regal brunette princess in purple offers a nice contrast. Between Peach, Rosalina, Zero Suit Samus, and quite possibly Dixie Kong, that's a lot of yellow hair.

I don't get why TP Zelda is emo and/or emotionless just because she isn't bubbly.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
View attachment 13058
And Skyward Sword Zelda is probably a better fighter than any other incarnation seeing as she made it through practically all the same dungeons as Link (With the help of impa of course)
Except that unlike Zelda, Peach's design has remained consistent over the years.

I'm surprised at how many people like the SS Zelda design. The whole reason I didn't play Skyward Sword was because Zelda's design looked so derpy to me.
You are missing on a great game.

Last edited:

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428

The comparison to Peach is actually an interesting point. We already have a goofy blonde princess in pink. We don't need two. Regal brunette princess in purple offers a nice contrast. Between Peach, Rosalina, Zero Suit Samus, and quite possibly Dixie Kong, that's a lot of yellow hair.

I don't get why TP Zelda is emo and/or emotionless just because she isn't bubbly.
I too think her SS design is derpy. All canon Zeldas sans TP are blonde btw. Not being bubbly doesn't make her an emo.

Awaji66

Smash Apprentice
Yes I do, and glad they didn't use SS Zelda. SS Zelda was good for Skyward Sword, but that's not the Zelda I want in Smash.

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
First of that is peach's character in every game she's in, zelda is usually serious, the original 2 didn't have character at all but in a link to the past, OoT and TP, some of the most popular entries in the franchise she's serious and that's what we expect of her now, plus TP was the last time Link, Zelda and Ganondorf were all in the same game and art style mixing the different styles would just be weird and TP is a bigger difference from wind wakers toon link

Zelda doesn't even wear pink in Skyward Sword but I guess you wouldn't know that because you haven't even played the game. Terrible reason not to as well.

TP Zelda is just lame, she just sits in a tower for the duration of the game, and randomly shows up at the ending. I don't get why people like this incarnation of her so much; sure it looks great but who likes playing as a character who has no character.

Zelda is not even a serious character in most of the games 3/ approx 15 games shouldn't warrant that. In fact Zelda has been more "bubbly" as of recent anyways. Spirit Tracks, Skyward Sword, ALBW. All which were made after TP. Lets leave 2006 in the dust already.

and maybe Zelda did look a bit derpy at times but that was because of that terrible filter that they added, if you look at her concept art its much better and probably closer to what she would look like had she been in ssb

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Zelda doesn't even wear pink in Skyward Sword but I guess you wouldn't know that because you haven't even played the game. Terrible reason not to as well.

TP Zelda is just lame, she just sits in a tower in the duration of the game, and randomly shows up at the ending. I don't get why people like this incarnation of her so much; sure it looks great but who likes playing as a character who has no character.

Zelda is not even a serious character in most of the games 3/ approx 15 games shouldn't warrant that. In fact Zelda has been more "bubbly" as of recent anyways. Spirit Tracks, Skyward Sword, ALBW. All which were made after TP. Lets leave 2006 in the dust already.
Well, Zelda sure lack some devellopement in TP. But sometimes, you don't need a lot of things to like a character.

A beautiful, serious princess badass enough to shoot the King of Evil with a magical bow, standing up on a horse is already enough to like the character. I also like the fact she surrender to avoid the slaughter of her people.

Zelda, excluding her role as Tetra, doesn't do much in WW, and she wasn't really memorable in ALBW either. Yet, they are all lovable.

Awaji66

Smash Apprentice
Doesn't TP Zelda appearance suppose to be like an updated or redesign look of OoT Zelda?

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
Well, Zelda sure lack some devellopement in TP. But sometimes, you don't need a lot of things to like a character.

A beautiful, serious princess badass enough to shoot the King of Evil with a magical bow, standing up on a horse is already enough to like the character. I also like the fact she surrender to avoid the slaughter of her people.

Zelda, excluding her role as Tetra, doesn't do much in WW, and she wasn't really memorable in ALBW either. Yet, they are all lovable.
Okay yes. But Tetra is Zelda so they have the same character just because you change your clothes doesn't mean it's not you anymore.

But the point was that she isn't the best incarnation of her character. Skyward Sword's was much more interesting.

Last edited:

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
I have to disagree in there as Tetra has different personality that Zelda and she is offended when she is called Zelda.
I highly recommend you replay Wind Waker, they were the same character. Therefore they have the same personality. It's just logical.

Last edited:

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
I vote for Ocarina of Time Zelda. Skyward Sword Zelda doesn't fit Smash Bros. That face is too cute to fit Zelda's seriousness. See the comparison? By that logic kirby shouldn't be playable.
skywards also by far the most powerful to.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
We re just talking costumes though. nothing that important.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Okay yes. But Tetra is Zelda so they have the same character just because you change your clothes doesn't mean it's not you anymore.
In Wind Waker, Tetra is unaware that she is Zelda. It's more than a disguise. Her demeanor also change as soon as she becomes Zelda. It's quite similar to Sheik.
Tetra is clearly tomboyish, while Zelda is a bit more regal (she does keep a bit of that tomboyish side, though)

I'm not saying Tetra is not Zelda (I'm aware it's the same entity), but she does have differences with Zelda.

But the point was that she isn't the best incarnation of her character. Skyward Sword's was much more interesting.
Well, you do find her more interesting. Again, I really liked Zelda in Twilight Princess, a bit more than in Skyward Sword.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
But when she does become zelda she loses everything you liked about tetra and she doesn't do anything up until the very end

Last edited:
Top Bottom