• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda's model yay or nay?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
She looks much better than she did in Brawl. Personally I'm happy they didn't choose the SS design, she just doesn't look like someone who's fit for a fight at all.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
You're joking right, she's beyond beautiful.
And i also note that the facial expressions in this game looks well more, expressive, it gives every character more personality.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I can't help but shake the feeling that you explained this condescendingly.

I know the distinct differences between each incarnation too. No need to explain the differences between each. Hmmm, I would put it that SSB4's Link does resemble TP Link the most. Some people have pointed out little accents. Take SS for instance, his leggings being slightly puffy and his hair having a chesnut color.
Rereading it, I see how one might interpret my words as such. I could have written that differently, but no, that wasn't the case. It was more of, "I'd be happy to discuss the differences if necessary". Big difference in wording, I know. Sorry bro!

bloodbuzzed

Smash Apprentice
I like how she retains the armor from her Brawl modeling, and this time she has a bunch of stone-cold diva expressions which suit her well. She seems to look pissed off in every screenshot which is charming in its own way.

While I haven't played SS so I can't really appreciate her SS outfit, it seems to depict a much more whimsical and child-like princess which we already have represented through Peach. It would be great if they gave her the SS as an alt but I'm glad they stuck with her TP-esque look which channels Daenerys Targaryen as someone previously pointed out.

Having both of our princesses being blonde and ultra-feminine would seem like overkill, especially to casuals who play Smash and already think Peach and Zelda are the same person :dizzy: Plus Zelda looks killer as a brunette.

chandy

Smash Journeyman
Nay, the Skyward Sword/ A Link between Worlds design of Zelda should have got in. Characters like Peach might not appear to 'look' right for fighting either but she works just fine for smash bros and SS Zelda would work too. This TP based Zelda might look pretty cool but I think it's a bit silly not to base her on her latest design (which is better IMO seen as SS Zelda had a lot more personality and part of that was helped by her design). Really hoping that Sakurai puts an alt. costume in for those of us who'd prefer the newer design. :/

OhSnap

Smash Cadet
absolutely love it. her face looks like it has expression this time around.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Nay, the Skyward Sword/ A Link between Worlds design of Zelda should have got in. Characters like Peach might not appear to 'look' right for fighting either but she works just fine for smash bros and SS Zelda would work too. This TP based Zelda might look pretty cool but I think it's a bit silly not to base her on her latest design (which is better IMO seen as SS Zelda had a lot more personality and part of that was helped by her design). Really hoping that Sakurai puts an alt. costume in for those of us who'd prefer the newer design. :/
I think the reason they never used SS Link or Zelda is because then they'd have to make a SS Ganondorf

chandy

Smash Journeyman
I think the reason they never used SS Link or Zelda is because then they'd have to make a SS Ganondorf
It could be that, or possibly the new Zelda Wii U may have the same character designs as TP so then it wouldn't be basing the designs on an older game. I'm still personally really hoping for ghirahim to make it into Smash Bros, in which case I think it would have been better to use her SS design but I admit that it's looking increasingly less likely for him to appear (maybe (I hope) that makes it more likely seen as Sakurai likes putting in less likely newcomers (wiifit trainer/rosaluma/villager))
Tbh, if it's nothing to do with Zelda U though, I still think they should have put the SS design of Zelda, SS deserves more representation than TP in my opinion and a blonde zelda would be more representative of the series as a whole, with most of the handhelds featuring her with blonde hair too.

Not only that, but SS Zelda doesn't do anything. TP Zelda is such a rolemodel and a queen of her country.
Spoiler for SS and TP alert:
That's not really true, SS Zelda is in fact Goddess Hylia and her role was needed for Link to be successful. I also think that being a goddess incarnate would make her pretty darn powerful and it would make sense for her to be using her magic powers in smash bros.
TP Zelda didn't actually do all that much apart from firing a few light arrows towards the end of the game and fighting Link when she was possessed but that wasn't really her fighting anyway. Also just being pedantic but she's a princess not a queen.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
It could be that, or possibly the new Zelda Wii U may have the same character designs as TP so then it wouldn't be basing the designs on an older game.
That's years away.
It looks more like a combination of the SS and TP designs, more realistic like TP but with brighter, more vibrant colors which are reminiscent of SS. However, I think they made Link's model look more like TP because it shows more of what the Wii U is capable of in terms of graphics. SS gave a more stylistic approach to it's graphics which, while beautiful, didn't show a lot of graphical power.
Of course, there's always alt costumes.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
That's years away.
It looks more like a combination of the SS and TP designs, more realistic like TP but with brighter, more vibrant colors which are reminiscent of SS. However, I think they made Link's model look more like TP because it shows more of what the Wii U is capable of in terms of graphics. SS gave a more stylistic approach to it's graphics which, while beautiful, didn't show a lot of graphical power.
100% agree,

I love her model, it looks very regal and powerful: exactly how I imagine Zelda.

chandy

Smash Journeyman
That's years away.
You're probably right that it's not based on Zelda for Wii U which means it's based of TP :/. Personally I think that they could have done alot with the SS model of Zelda and designed her in a more realistic way that took advantage of the Wii U's capabilities in the same way that they made upgrades to the TP Zelda design to make her look better in Smash 4. It wouldn't really matter too much if they had based the designs for Link off TP and Zelda off SS, it's not like Link's design is hugely different in SS anyway and it would mean a larger spectrum of games was represented. Also, if they bring back Shiek, then it would make more sense, I think, for Zelda to be blonde like Shiek is in brawl. It's not that I hate the design that Sakurai chose, I'd just have much preferred the SS design...

Last edited:

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
It could be that, or possibly the new Zelda Wii U may have the same character designs as TP so then it wouldn't be basing the designs on an older game. I'm still personally really hoping for ghirahim to make it into Smash Bros, in which case I think it would have been better to use her SS design but I admit that it's looking increasingly less likely for him to appear (maybe (I hope) that makes it more likely seen as Sakurai likes putting in less likely newcomers (wiifit trainer/rosaluma/villager))
Tbh, if it's nothing to do with Zelda U though, I still think they should have put the SS design of Zelda, SS deserves more representation than TP in my opinion and a blonde zelda would be more representative of the series as a whole, with most of the handhelds featuring her with blonde hair too.

Spoiler for SS and TP alert:
That's not really true, SS Zelda is in fact Goddess Hylia and her role was needed for Link to be successful. I also think that being a goddess incarnate would make her pretty darn powerful and it would make sense for her to be using her magic powers in smash bros.
TP Zelda didn't actually do all that much apart from firing a few light arrows towards the end of the game and fighting Link when she was possessed but that wasn't really her fighting anyway. Also just being pedantic but she's a princess not a queen.
Okay, regardless, SS Zelda in that form is not Hylia. She wouldn't have access to those powers because she's currently Zelda.

And TP Zelda still represents Zelda as a character better. She surrendered herself because she cared so much for her people, and she fights back in the end. She's so firm, she's not a little damsel girly girl like she is in SS.

chandy

Smash Journeyman
Okay, regardless, SS Zelda in that form is not Hylia. She wouldn't have access to those powers because she's currently Zelda.

And TP Zelda still represents Zelda as a character better. She surrendered herself because she cared so much for her people, and she fights back in the end. She's so firm, she's not a little damsel girly girl like she is in SS.
Zelda at the end off SS becomes Hylia, as she awakens her powers throughout the game, all they have to do is base the Zelda in Smash bros on Zelda after the events of SS and she'd have access to her Hylia powers (which would make sense seen as Link has his whole arsenal of weaponry in Smash bros too) . As far as I'm concerned, Zelda in TP is as much of a 'damsel in distress' as she is in SS, if not more. Looks can be deceiving, Peach manages to pull off being a good fighter in Smash Bros, the fact that Zelda looks more girly in SS would just make it that much cooler when she takes out other fighters.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
What is all this opposition to the Skyward Sword design? Little damsel girly girl? Why are people so hung up on whether or not she LOOKS like she can fight? Have we all forgotten about Villager? If the SS design was being used, who's to say we wouldn't like ass kicking qualities alongside her bubbliness?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Are people still moaning about this whole "character can't get in because they never fought or are too peaceful" argument? Especially after Villager, Wii Fit Trainer and Rosalina & Luma (Before 3D World) came along?

Anyway, I would have preferred Skyward Sword Zelda myself but I practically knew we would be having Twilight Princess Zelda again as soon as I saw Twilight Princess Link still being there. Toon Link only sealed the deal.

Ah well, at least they made her more expressive this time around from what I've seen of her so far, her lack of emotions was one of the things I didn't like about TP Zelda.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I am not going to lie, I really did want her SS variant as it would be something unique and relevant. However, I didn't honestly speculate that it was likely, this new model does what most expected it do accomplish. It still predominantly alludes to Twilight Princess Zelda, but it is slightly younger. I have no doubt that their will be an alternate blond Zelda that will pertain to my interests more efficiently. I do like the new design though, she is beautiful.

Mocha

Coffee Addict
In the land of princesses, frogs, and dragons
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
What is surprising to me is that the design of her dress is identical to the one in Twilight Princess (please correct me if I'm wrong). Even her hairstyle/color is essentially the same. The reason this surprises me is because Zelda's dress varies between games, so I would have thought they'd give her a different design, assuming her design was based off of Zelda U, brunette or not. The fact that they kept her exact dress and hairstyle makes me wonder how much resemblance there will be between Zelda U and Twilight Princess.

If it weren't for Zelda's more... furious looks now, I'd say she's directly from TP.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
What is surprising to me is that the design of her dress is identical to the one in Twilight Princess (please correct me if I'm wrong). Even her hairstyle/color is essentially the same.
It is pretty much a modified version of the TP/Brawl Design, The biggest difference is that the apron is purple instead of grey. and the bottom of the dress is a little bit different.
The reason this surprises me is because Zelda's dress varies between games.
Princess Zelda's dress doesn't varies that much. between Oot's and TP's designs the main diffences are the hair, colors (TP uses white where Oot uses Pink, Oot has purple apron while TP has Grey) and the neck area (TP's is much more open).
And Skyward sword design can't be compared since that Zelda unlike all the other ones isn't a Princess.

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
As a whole, it looks like the characters have their brawl designs slightly revamped.

Samus is the only exception right now it seems.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'm surprised I haven't posted here yet.

Zelda keeping her TP appearance was the sweetest thing about her reveal for me.

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
Are people still moaning about this whole "character can't get in because they never fought or are too peaceful" argument? Especially after Villager, Wii Fit Trainer and Rosalina & Luma (Before 3D World) came along?

Anyway, I would have preferred Skyward Sword Zelda myself but I practically knew we would be having Twilight Princess Zelda again as soon as I saw Twilight Princess Link still being there. Toon Link only sealed the deal.

Ah well, at least they made her more expressive this time around from what I've seen of her so far, her lack of emotions was one of the things I didn't like about TP Zelda.
I just want her to close her eyes again during Din's Fire. :/

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx

That's not what I was arguing. I was making this comparison after TP Zelda was already confirmed. I was simply stating that TP Zelda was a better choice IMO because she's a more sophisticated, elegant, regal, and powerful representation of Zelda's thus far. If Zelda was SS I still would have played her, and I'm almost certain it'll be an alternate costume for her. I mean, that would make sense, don't you think?

With the Wii Fit Male trainer and all. I mean, that's a complete model switch and different voice over.

If we get both, I'd be extremely happy with that. I mean, he's got 25 GB of game space, and Brawl was what, 2 GB?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
That's not what I was arguing. I was making this comparison after TP Zelda was already confirmed. I was simply stating that TP Zelda was a better choice IMO because she's a more sophisticated, elegant, regal, and powerful representation of Zelda's thus far. If Zelda was SS I still would have played her, and I'm almost certain it'll be an alternate costume for her. I mean, that would make sense, don't you think?

With the Wii Fit Male trainer and all. I mean, that's a complete model switch and different voice over.

If we get both, I'd be extremely happy with that. I mean, he's got 25 GB of game space, and Brawl was what, 2 GB?
Well alright then if that's the case.

I would like to see her SS design at least being used as an alt for her too though, I agree. But I'm not sure if Sakurai would do that though, but it would be nice for those who wanted to play as her SS design. I'm not sure how far Sakurai will take this whole Alternate costume thing though. I do hope he gives us the Outset Island outfit for Toon Link at least. :T

I believe Brawl had around 7. something GB of memory if I can recall. :dizzy:

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
Well alright then if that's the case.

I would like to see her SS design at least being used as an alt for her too though, I agree. But I'm not sure if Sakurai would do that though, but it would be nice for those who wanted to play as her SS design. I'm not sure how far Sakurai will take this whole Alternate costume thing though. I do hope he gives us the Outset Island outfit for Toon Link at least. :T

I believe Brawl had around 7. something GB of memory if I can recall. :dizzy:
Well Still thats a lot data left over on a WiU disc. Brawl was dual layered. I forgot about that.

With a skyloft state it would just be amazingthoughn, but there's no reason they shouldn't do it. Im not getting my hopes up tho

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
Also just being pedantic but she's a princess not a queen.
Zelda is a Queen in Twilight Princess. Or much rather, the matriarch.

Her father makes no appearance in the game, and its apparent she is the sole ruler of Hyrule.

Player -0

Smash Hero
Also I think she could use her sword thingy, else she wouldn't have had it when the dark thingies attacked in TP.

Overall I like the design but it seems like the designs for the faces look much more Japanese than compared to Brawl. Both Link's and Zelda's face seems this way to me as well as Marth.

It almost feels off the faces look. It may be because of the lighter colors and the HD but something feels off. Once ZSS is revealed I'll further comment.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Overall I like the design but it seems like the designs for the faces look much more Japanese than compared to Brawl. Both Link's and Zelda's face seems this way to me as well as Marth.
When you say Japanese, are you referring to the anime appearance? Because Link and Zelda do look more anime-ish than Brawl, though they were like that to begin with.

If not, then I don't really agree. I do remember feeling like that about Brawl Marth though.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Some characters in Smash have an anime-like appearance, indeed. Link, Zelda, Sheik, Toon Link, Pit, Zero Suit Samus, Marth, Ike and Roy all have many typical anime design conventions, mainly the eyes. I'd say that the more anime-like characters are the Fire Emblem characters and Pit.

Curiously, Ganondorf doesn't look as "anime-ish" as Link or Zelda.

Player -0

Smash Hero
It feels that the 3DS version of SSB4 has the characters look more like Brawl while the Wii U seems different than both the forementioned. I can't quite put my finger on how they look different.

Top Bottom