• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~ Zelda's Matchups: Let's Get Tactical ~

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Hey now I'm sure these remarks are all in jest but let's try to not steer things into trouble. I'd really like to get back into MU talk at some point but it seems like most of the other threads minus the social have died!

I think we should discuss low/bottom tiers and matchups!

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Only if the matchups start taking the turn of "how can Zelda win these" rather than "how good/bad is this matchup for zelda" because, frankly, the latter doesn't matter as much anymore.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
Tbh, I've been wondering what happened to the Zelda boards in general. Like you said, it's been mega dead aside from social. Why is that?
We all just accepted Zelda sucks and just do a bit of general talk now........

but i would like to see another thread or so about matchups, even if its just how to win our low tier ones. we can become the awesome low tier princess Zelda is supposed to be with the bonus of Ike being out of the way.....

maybe i'll start one after i get some homework done.

AyatoK26

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kaminakid
Should we just start at the bottom and work our way up? It seems we would get better morale as well as more people to contribute if we actually start with a matchup(s) we win at.

*Stolen idea from the Ganon boards* (I hope they won't mind) Personal Matchup Thread

Also, we can try a personal matchup thread where everyone who mains/seconds Zelda gives an opinion on the match at hand like the Ganon boards did instead of just asking 1-2 people for the ratios of the entire cast. Of course, since these are personal ratios, no "your ratio sucks, you don't know anything, etc." comments are allowed.

Included with the ratios, we give comments on what to do for each matchup, any tools we can use, and what to look out for.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
When someone who actually wanted this to happen makes the thread..... ? It's not gonna appear out of nowhere lol.

Mocha

Coffee Addict
In the land of princesses, frogs, and dragons
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
Why are we so dead? =(

Also we have like two matchup charts, most from like, last year and before. Would be nice to have a new MU chart with recent videos of how the MU is played, hopefully mostly offline vids, but some online can work too.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Only thing I can contribute is Bowser/Zelda shenanigans. But we all know how that matchup goes already. -_-

AyatoK26

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kaminakid
Sup guys. I kinda disappeared and now im back, hopefully.

Anywho, I have a question:

I've been playing wifi for a while against a beast ness and in my desperation to try to win, I found out that he can be GR into a dsmash.

I wanna know if it's situational or is that a guaranteed setup?

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Guaranteed.

You can do a lot of silly stuff on Lucas and Ness grab release animations. With any character.

Mocha

Coffee Addict
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
Sup guys. I kinda disappeared and now im back, hopefully.

Anywho, I have a question:

I've been playing wifi for a while against a beast ness and in my desperation to try to win, I found out that he can be GR into a dsmash.

I wanna know if it's situational or is that a guaranteed setup?
How did I miss this? ;o

Good to know, thanks Ayato! I rarely fight Ness or Lucas, but this will definitely be good to have in mind. I wonder if they can be GR into other things too...

AlanHaTe

Smash Ace
strangely somehow they sometimes release, a bit away and neither Dsmash or Dtilt can hit ._.

or is it me doing it wrong?!

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
They have this thing that allows them to DI just a little further out.

It's a tad tricky but you can walk just a little forward and have Dtilt/Dsmash ready and you should be ok.

:phone:

Mocha

Coffee Addict
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
So Zelda has four GRs?

Wario: Fair, Upsmash, Uptilt
Ness: Regrab, Downsmash, Downtilt (with pummel)
Lucas: Regrab, Downsmash, Downtilt (with pummel)
MK (on SV's platform): Fair?

Another thing I found out too regarding MK on SV's platform is that you can GR him into a Nair. However you have to be on the ground, releasing him onto the platform. Very situational. Also not sure if this is guaranteed or not.

If I'm missing anything or anyone else, please let me know

AlanHaTe

Smash Ace
So Zelda has four GRs?

Wario: Fair, Upsmash, Uptilt
Ness: Regrab, Downsmash, Downtilt (with pummel)
Lucas: Regrab, Downsmash, Downtilt (with pummel)
MK (on SV's platform): Fair?

Another thing I found out too regarding MK on SV's platform is that you can GR him into a Nair. However you have to be on the ground, releasing him onto the platform. Very situational. Also not sure if this is guaranteed or not.

If I'm missing anything or anyone else, please let me know
MK on SV's platform has exactly the same options as Wario, with just minor differences on timing and how much you need to move... for example Dair must be buffered and you have to run, that means buffer run > short hop > buffered Dair

Wario is missing Bair, Dair, Uair in the edge and letting yourself drop and angled up (?) Ftilt

also a few weeks ago I think I dicovered a whole new GR on jigglypuff with Uair... the timing is hard and strict, as jump must be buffered and Uair has to be done at the right time and the edge will hit jigglypuff, and she can't do anything, unless we screw up with timing...

can we really regrab ness and lucas?!

Mocha

Coffee Addict
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
SV's platform is so weird for GR's. Like, the follow up of the grab release is also dependent on the direction the platform is moving, and the direction you're facing.

I have yet to try GR to Bair, Dair, and Uair on Wario, as well as GR to Uair on Jiggs. I've found that my most consistent GRs on Wario have been Fair, Upsmash, and Uptilt (Upsmash being the easiest, and Fair being trickier)

And yeah we can regrab Ness and Lucas

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
SV's platform is so weird for GR's. Like, the follow up of the grab release is also dependent on the direction the platform is moving, and the direction you're facing.

I have yet to try GR to Bair, Dair, and Uair on Wario, as well as GR to Uair on Jiggs. I've found that my most consistent GRs on Wario have been Fair, Upsmash, and Uptilt (Upsmash being the easiest, and Fair being trickier)

I tried to go for bair on Wario the other day and failed miserably. I thinkyou gotta practice that it felt so awkward lol.

C.J.

Smash Master
Are you sure? Frame data says no.

Your grab connect on frame 12, Ness/Lucas have spot dodges that are invincible frame 2

So, you buffer grab, it hits frame 12 after the release. Ness/Lucas buffer spotdodge. They have a -10 frame advantage, frame 11 would be the one frame start-up on their spotdodge, and then frame 12, when your grab connects, they have their first invincibility frame active.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Hi! Yes it will. I've been really busy at work recently due to Christmas break and all. Will sticky when I get home.

:phone:

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Hai wolfric :awesome: welcome back to the boards! I hope you stick around.

Also I'm gonna de-sticky this now.

Top Bottom