• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda's alt costumes

Katty Shepherd

Smash Ace
About other characters palette swap, we had some in the past. Mario have a Foreman Spike from Wrecking Crew and Wario outfit, Luigi have Waluigi, Peach have Daisy, there's Dark Link, OoT Zelda, OoT Ganondorf, Retro Link (on Toon Link), Olimar have Louis, there's Blood Falcon, Ike had the Greil outfit and Marth had the Leif outfit... Colors schemes ressembling others characters exist.

So I don't think a Hilda is out of the realm of possibilities. My only worry for Hilda (and OoT Zelda) is the blonde purple Zelda outfit.

About an SS Zelda 3D model, I don't think it's impossible as well. First of all, Zelda's characters are a special case because there's various incarnations of the heroes. Now, Zelda have the TP look while having moves inspired from OoT and ST, so it's not "one Zelda only". Finally, there's a lot of differences between TP Zelda and SS Zelda. I think that if SS Link is only a palette swap, it's because it's quite close to the green tunic. There's just long sleeves, no chainmail and no hat. As alt costumes tends to have their own colors, I think this kind of costume was unecessary.
Plus, even if the differences are small, a new 3D model is a new 3D model. As Link is rather complex, it's maybe also a question of the 3D model "size" on the disc (but I'm not an expert about 3D modeling, so I'm just theorizing). Imagine if Samus' suits were all actual 3D models.
It would be Sheik all over again, not exactly but it would too much space, it would take forever to load and could lag the game. I guess there's no real way to tell what's going on without official confirmation, like a POTd and things have been slow lately, after E3.

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
Jul-10-2014.jpg

Well maybe a Skyward Sword Zelda alt isn't too far off. Though judging on how these "costumes" are just glorified pallete swaps maybe a Hilda would work even better- though I don't know how popular Hilda is.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Well, I think that those palette swap are only palette swap because they don't present major differences with the original costume "shape". A Samus suit, despite differences, is still a Samus Suit. Mario from Famicom Golf US Course is just Mario with a different hat and studs on his shoes.

For sure, we have some exceptions: Daisy's alt in Melee where gloves and jewels changed, Pikachu's and Jiglypuff hats and Sonic's wristbands, or Villager's hair.

But actual 3D models tends to have big differences: Little Mac's sweater, Male Wii Fit Trainer, Classic Wario. I think we can also count the female villager.
I'm also sure that all those actual alt costumes have their own colors: obviously, there's Wario in Brawl, but both Male and Female WFT have a green alt. Pink female Villager seems to be the "red team" villager, too.

That's why I'm confident for a SS Zelda alt costume.

And about Hilda... They clearly are searching for various references instead of made up colors (but Grandpanondorf and Black Zelda were cool), so I also think it's possible. Again, the only problem I see is the Blonde purple Zelda alt.

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
The blonde purple Zelda was probably just for the purpose of e3- I could live without Dark Zelda because Hilda is Dark Zelda now. Crossing my fingers for an actual alt costume though!

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I don't really see the point of making a texture if it's just a filler for a demo. There's a slim chance you are true, but I think it's another reference (I'm still sure it's Toon Zelda's blond hair).
By the way, seeing Mario's Golf and Blue/Pink palette makes me hope that the "6 colors limit" is gone now.

I could live with both Hilda and Dark Zelda honestly :awesome:

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
I don't really see the point of making a texture if it's just a filler for a demo. There's a slim chance you are true, but I think it's another reference (I'm still sure it's Toon Zelda's blond hair).
By the way, seeing Mario's Golf and Blue/Pink palette makes me hope that the "6 colors limit" is gone now.

I could live with both Hilda and Dark Zelda honestly :awesome:
No way it's toon Zelda- The only thing that Pallete Swap shares in common with toon Zelda is blonde hair. There is literally nothing else.
....also there's no way we're going to see both dark Zelda and Hilda it's either one or the other.

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
No way it's toon Zelda- The only thing that Pallete Swap shares in common with toon Zelda is blonde hair. There is literally nothing else.
....also there's no way we're going to see both dark Zelda and Hilda it's either one or the other.
Well, I see that as a Toon Zelda + Phantom reference.

About Dark Zelda and Hilda I don't see why it would be one or another. One is made up (and said to be based on Zelda's cape in Twilight Princess), one is another character from another game with no color similarities.

☆Jazz☆

Jazzin' All Day
NNID
DaGama21
3DS FC
0920-3971-2053
Well, I think that those palette swap are only palette swap because they don't present major differences with the original costume "shape". A Samus suit, despite differences, is still a Samus Suit. Mario from Famicom Golf US Course is just Mario with a different hat and studs on his shoes.

For sure, we have some exceptions: Daisy's alt in Melee where gloves and jewels changed, Pikachu's and Jiglypuff hats and Sonic's wristbands, or Villager's hair.

But actual 3D models tends to have big differences: Little Mac's sweater, Male Wii Fit Trainer, Classic Wario. I think we can also count the female villager.
I'm also sure that all those actual alt costumes have their own colors: obviously, there's Wario in Brawl, but both Male and Female WFT have a green alt. Pink female Villager seems to be the "red team" villager, too.

That's why I'm confident for a SS Zelda alt costume.

And about Hilda... They clearly are searching for various references instead of made up colors (but Grandpanondorf and Black Zelda were cool), so I also think it's possible. Again, the only problem I see is the Blonde purple Zelda alt.
I hope Sakurai doesn't do Zelda like he did Link with the ordinary clothes...I want a different zelda costume design. Some People wanted TP Zelda, while some wanted SS Zelda. If both designs are in the game, I (and others) will be very pleased.

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Again, SS Zelda have clearly more differences with the TP Zelda than the differences SS Link / Green Tunic Link. Except the colors, of course.

They only share the boots :awesome:

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
Well, I see that as a Toon Zelda + Phantom reference.

About Dark Zelda and Hilda I don't see why it would be one or another. One is made up (and said to be based on Zelda's cape in Twilight Princess), one is another character from another game with no color similarities.
Toon Zelda wears burgundy not purple, she also has a purple crown and has neon green hair.

Hilda is the dark Zelda now so black zelda is purposeless & obsolete.

1. Default Color
2. Red Zelda
3.Blue Zelda
4. Green Zelda
5. Hilda or Dark Zelda?
6. Skyward Zelda alternate?

Idk...?

☆Jazz☆

Jazzin' All Day
NNID
DaGama21
3DS FC
0920-3971-2053
Toon Zelda wears burgundy not purple, she also has a purple crown and has neon green hair.

1. Default Color
2. Red Zelda
3.Blue Zelda
4. Green Zelda
5. Hilda or Dark Zelda?

Idk...?
She'll most likely have more than 6. I mean the characters in this game are getting more Palette Swaps....7?

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master

1. Default Color
2. Red Zelda
3.Blue Zelda
4. Green Zelda
5. Hilda or Dark Zelda?

Idk...?
First of all, it's missing the blonde Zelda we saw (I really don't see it as a placeholder). It's also missing the OoT Zelda colors, to me. Also, if by a SS alternate, you mean an actual costume, the number of colors would up to 12 a la Wario.

SadisticPanda

Smash Apprentice
NNID
L4D4ever1718
3DS FC
0748-4043-7867
I have my money on an SS Zelda alt, mainly due to Link's skin. Though I don't think they will fully change the model but just have colours based on it like Link has.
Think about it, in Brawl Link had shadow Link and Zelda had a new evil costume. So I think whatever Link will get is what Zelda will get also.

Katty Shepherd

Smash Ace
My wishlist:

1. Hyrule Warriors
2. Hilda
3. OoT
In that order, I know we'll have a Skyward Sword Zelda and probably something resembling toon Zelda or along those lines, particularly with phantom.
And I want the red dress alt with no gloves because that's freaking awesome.

SadisticPanda

Smash Apprentice
NNID
L4D4ever1718
3DS FC
0748-4043-7867
@ Katty Shepherd Katty Shepherd My wishlist is quite similar to yours, but instead of an OoT skin I'd prefer a Puppet Zelda skin from TP.
And I agree with you. You think that with Skyloft, all the SS items and Link's Skyloft outfit, Zelda is bound to get an SS skin for herself.

Last edited:

Katty Shepherd

Smash Ace
@ Katty Shepherd Katty Shepherd My wishlist is quite similar to yours, but instead of an OoT skin I'd prefer a Puppet Zelda skin from TP.
And I agree with you. You think that with Skyloft, all the SS items and Link's Skyloft outfit, Zelda is bound to get an SS skin for herself.
Pretty much.
I'm not particularly interested in getting a Puppet Zelda skin from TP, although it was a pretty awesome sequence and fight I still don't think it played a huge enough role in the game to earn an alt. But I would be thrilled if we got one.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'm expecting SS and OOT based colour schemes, not necessarily model swaps (which would be awesome though.)

Anything outside that is anyone's guess.

SadisticPanda

Smash Apprentice
NNID
L4D4ever1718
3DS FC
0748-4043-7867
If Wii Fit Trainercan make it into a Smash game, I think there is hope for anything. Thats the way I think of it. :awesome:

☆Jazz☆

Jazzin' All Day
NNID
DaGama21
3DS FC
0920-3971-2053
My wishlist:

1. Hyrule Warriors
2. Hilda
3. OoT
In that order, I know we'll have a Skyward Sword Zelda and probably something resembling toon Zelda or along those lines, particularly with phantom.
And I want the red dress alt with no gloves because that's freaking awesome.
Wasn't that Confirmed in the demo?

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
You guys seem to be forgetting that team battles no longer require you to wear the teams colour- it has now been changed to a coloured outline that surrounds the character of any pallete swap of your choice. So, it doesn't matter having these more detailed costumes.

Now let us address the unlikeliness of the following skins

Hyrule Warriors Zelda is not going to happen for the reason I stated in a previous post...(see below if you missed it the first time)

"Why would Smash Bros a game that draws characters from the Nintendo universe use character models sourced from a 3rd party developer. That's right they wouldn't. Hyrule Warrior's designs wouldn't be in smash bros even if they had been released a year ago. Hyrule Warrior's isn't considered a Zelda game, it's Dynasty Warriors. Because Skyward Sword was an anomaly (Zelda being a civilian/ No Ganon) the designs of the characters were shifted to the previous generation, hence the TP designs we see now."

Puppet Zelda isn't going to happen. It is literally the default Zelda costume but Zelda is suffering from a strange form of melanoma. It's a waste of a palette swap.

Now its not definitive (No sh*t) but a Skyward Zelda skin may actually replace the OoT one, However I put both of them in my list below to point out how much garbage you guys all want to add. (Sorry if that sounds condescending)

1. Default TP Zelda
2. Red Zelda
3.Blue Zelda
4. Green Zelda
5. OoT Zelda
6. Skyward Sword Zelda
7. Hilda
8. Dark Zelda
9. Hyrule Warriors Zelda
10. Puppet Zelda
11. Toon Zelda

Hmmm while we're at it why don't we just add a skin for every Zelda in the entire universe!

Now Ill create a much more likely list, though I feel a SS Costume may actually replace an OoT one - but seven looks nice.

1. Default TP Zelda
2. Red Zelda
3.Blue Zelda
4. Green Zelda
5. OoT Zelda
6. Hilda/ or Dark Zelda
7. Skyward Sword

Bonus 8: LTTP Colour

Now not counting my bonus costume( because it's unlikely) that leaves 4 brunette Zeldas/ one purple or white/ and 2 blondes)

That's it! B-E-A Utiful!

Last edited:

SadisticPanda

Smash Apprentice
NNID
L4D4ever1718
3DS FC
0748-4043-7867
You guys seem to be forgetting that team battles no longer require you to wear the teams colour- it has now been changed to a coloured outline that surrounds the character of any pallete swap of your choice. So, it doesn't matter having these more detailed costumes.

Now let us address the unlikeliness of the following skins

Hyrule Warriors Zelda is not going to happen for the reason I stated in a previous post...(see below if you missed it the first time)

"Why would Smash Bros a game that draws characters from the Nintendo universe use character models sourced from a 3rd party developer. That's right they wouldn't. Hyrule Warrior's designs wouldn't be in smash bros even if they had been released a year ago. Hyrule Warrior's isn't considered a Zelda game, it's Dynasty Warriors. Because Skyward Sword was an anomaly (Zelda being a civilian/ No Ganon) the designs of the characters were shifted to the previous generation, hence the TP designs we see now."

Puppet Zelda isn't going to happen. It is literally the default Zelda costume but Zelda is suffering from a strange form of melanoma. It's a waste of a palette swap.

Now its not definitive (No sh*t) but a Skyward Zelda skin may actually replace the OoT one, However I put both of them in my list below to point out how much garbage you guys all want to add. (Sorry if that sounds condescending)

1. Default TP Zelda
2. Red Zelda
3.Blue Zelda
4. Green Zelda
5. OoT Zelda
6. Skyward Sword Zelda
7. Hilda
8. Dark Zelda
9. Hyrule Warriors Zelda
10. Puppet Zelda
11. Toon Zelda

Hmmm while we're at it why don't we just add a skin for every Zelda in the entire universe!

Now Ill create a much more likely list, though I feel a SS Costume may actually replace an OoT one - but seven looks nice.

1. Default TP Zelda
2. Red Zelda
3.Blue Zelda
4. Green Zelda
5. OoT Zelda
6. Hilda/ or Dark Zelda
7. Skyward Sword

Bonus 8: LTTP Colour

Now not counting my bonus costume( because it's unlikely) that leaves 4 brunette Zeldas/ one purple or white/ and 2 blondes)

That's it! B-E-A Utiful!
I like the way you think. You actually think logically.
But we're only suggesting ideas that we want in the game. Very few of these ideas are highly unlikely to happen, but you have to admit that if HW Zelda made it in as alternate skin, it would be beyond amazing. :p

Plus I thought team battle only had the coloured outlines on the 3DS version.

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
I like the way you think. You actually think logically.
But we're only suggesting ideas that we want in the game. Very few of these ideas are highly unlikely to happen, but you have to admit that if HW Zelda made it in as alternate skin, it would be beyond amazing. :p

Plus I thought team battle only had the coloured outlines on the 3DS version.
Thanks, yes it would be great, but it's not something I see as possible. Im actually not one hundred percent on the outline thing but I guess if it turns out as not being for the Wii U version than it will push the MAX amount of costumes to 8.

They should just add a colour wheel thing so you can make your own palate.
...Dreams

Last edited:

SadisticPanda

Smash Apprentice
NNID
L4D4ever1718
3DS FC
0748-4043-7867
Thanks, yes it would be great, but it's not something I see as possible. Im actually not one hundred percent on the outline thing but I guess if it turns out as not being for the Wii U version than it will push the MAX amount of costumes to 8.

...Dreams
That would be an interesting feature. If a custom colour wheel was included then there would be no arguing or hate on the costumes.
But yes, we can only dream. And my dreams never come true, hah. :rolleyes:

☆Jazz☆

Jazzin' All Day
NNID
DaGama21
3DS FC
0920-3971-2053
That would be an interesting feature. If a custom colour wheel was included then there would be no arguing or hate on the costumes.
But yes, we can only dream. And my dreams never come true, hah. :rolleyes:

...Dreams
That would be amazing. If it'll become a feature, I would be all smiles.
:secretkpop:

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
Super-Smash-Bros.-for-Wii-U-screenshot-11.jpg

I don't think toon Zelda works on the TP model- I'd much rather stick to OoT.

I tried but I think it looks kind of yucky?

*Damn, and again I forgot to colour the eyebrows. Oh well.

Last edited:

|ven|

ᵔᴥᵔ かわいい ᵔᴥᵔ
NNID
Hyuven
I would be satisfied with any change really. I just want something new for her. Aside from her down b

Tweedle

Smash Apprentice
The thing about a SS costume is, Couldn't they just Import the model from another game? From using the Alternate costume on Brawl Vault of SS Zelda , It seems like that's all it takes and it looks pretty natural. So I'd expect at least that from the official game. I really don't want a retexture of SS Zelda because the TP Zeldas hair doesn't look that good in Blonde. At least from a lot of Blonde TP Zelda recolours of seen.

Edit: And I like her SS outfit. I don't know like plenty of other people I just want something different. So Nintendo import SS and HW Zelda please.

Last edited:

SadisticPanda

Smash Apprentice
NNID
L4D4ever1718
3DS FC
0748-4043-7867
View attachment 18061

Yeah the colours are too bright and saturated for the TP model. The OoT colour was perfect in terms of tone and stuff.

Nice effort though, sort of looks like it was a legit colour when I first saw it haha.

Katty Shepherd

Smash Ace
View attachment 18061

This looks great, thanks for that.
Yeah the colours are too bright and saturated for the TP model. The OoT colour was perfect in terms of tone and stuff.

Nice effort though, sort of looks like it was a legit colour when I first saw it haha.
I agree the hair color looks quite nice, not exactly natural do to the green tones but I like it.
Bleh, her shoulder armor is still screwed up.

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
The hair color is better but I think Oot Zelda actually has bright blond hair...

Ah, there we go. Just like that.
Although in the official artwork is closer to your color.
I Used SSBM and Her official artwork and took the colour directly from the image below
Princess-Zelda-Of-Hyrule-From-Melee-the-best-animated-princesses-and-girls-19269929-640-480.jpg

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
Zelda OoT.jpg

Well I'll call it Oot Blonde, but heres another, I altered it to have the more traditional blonde colour.

Last edited:

SadisticPanda

Smash Apprentice
NNID
L4D4ever1718
3DS FC
0748-4043-7867
The hair color is better but I think Oot Zelda actually has bright blond hair...

Ah, there we go. Just like that.
Although in the official artwork is closer to your color.
I noticed that in Melee, Peach and Zelda's hair colour was like a cheesy yellow (I hate cheese, ew) , but in their original games were pretty much like that colour. Same with Brawl, Peach's hair was a much more pale blonde instead of bright yellow and Zelda's was completely brown instead of having the blonde streaks through it.

I wonder why they changed their hair to these. I know it's only a minor difference, but it's still rather odd.

Top Bottom