• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda vs Sheik

Maxwell Too Swell

Smash Apprentice
I can't figure out any one strategy against Sheik that works. Even being patient doesn't really help in this match up as Sheik can be just as patient to fight back and it works better in her favor. It's gotten to the point where I'm considering picking up Fox or Falco for the match up as I dislike Sheik dittos.

Any tips on the match up? I'd like to hear other Zelda main's opinions.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H75Ob_rRm-w

The only vid I could find of that matchup, and I guess an accurate matchup depiction. I honestly don't think that Zelda's dare try this matchup. Apparently, it's 90:10 Sheik. Personally, I've never played it, but I'm going to a smash thing tonight and will play it a few times to get a feel.

In my opinion though, you'd be better off picking up Fox/Falco. Shiek struggles a fair bit against Jiggs, too.

TheLake

Smash Master
YOU cant grab her

so dont

unless she does that puff thing when she recovers and lands

then you can do it i guess

f smash

and pray it hits

same with down smash

try not to leave the ground unless your baiting

dins fire edgeguard

actually

just try everything

you have nothing to lose

and im sure somthing cool will happen

except down b...

be a real woman

strap dem britches

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I noticed that I (personally) like f tilt for getting Shiek into the air, cause her air mobility is terribly horrible. But that's certainly not something to make a habit of. All I can really suggest is to keep the Shiek guessing, cause once she figures you out, it's game over. Her down throw doesn't *seem* to **** us quite as much as it does others, but...

Maybe CC f-smash?

Maxwell Too Swell

Smash Apprentice
I think her down throw on Zelda is as useful as her down throw on Peach. Which means it's pretty damn useful. The most stressful thing is the defensive crouching Sheik. This makes her such a pain to land a kick on. When she does this I usually try to down smash her, but since she's crouching that means she's CCing it and I get punished. I feel like you just have to be so precise and accurate with your kicking in this match up. Thus far it feels like random F smash is the only constant that works occasionally. So dumb. >_<

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I'll have to look back at it, but I think Zelda floats a little farther out of Shiek's down throw than Peach. But yeah, if the Shiek is aggressive/not that campy, that makes it a little easier. If a Shiek is willing to take their time, then there's very little Zelda can do.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
it's a pretty **** matchup. but i'm not a true zelda main anymore. when i was though, the way i dealt with it, was lots of dsmash and fsmash. dash attack is kinda useful, but they have to be slightly more aggressive than m2k in order to ever land it. the problem with the matchup is that you actually just pose no threat to the shiek player unless they miss something. because zelda has no approach, it makes the matchup very very difficult. they can react to basically whatever you do.

GOTM

Smash Champion
YOU cant grab her

so dont

unless she does that puff thing when she recovers and lands

then you can do it i guess

f smash

and pray it hits

same with down smash

try not to leave the ground unless your baiting

dins fire edgeguard

actually

just try everything

you have nothing to lose

and im sure somthing cool will happen

except down b...

be a real woman

strap dem britches
LAKEEEEE. teach me things! we go way back ;) haha.

im prob gettin back into melee and im gonna main zelda since i've always wanted to player her (always did, but not good, lol)

TheLake

Smash Master
OMG GOTM!!! where have you been?! whaddya wanna know you mottorboatin son of a ***** you :D

GOTM

Smash Champion
idk man. ive been playing her in friendlies recently. i think i know how to treat fast fallers.

is zelda decent vs. marth or do the marth's i play just have no idea how to play her, lol. obviously by decent i mean gets ***** less than you think, haha.

GOTM

Smash Champion
thats how it seems.

i have the most trouble vs. sheik as im sure most do. and when a falco is very persistent i just get ***** by him.

whats the best way to approach a campy laser spamming falco with her? ill have to post some videos some time to show you how i play in these matchups

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I dunno if the way Zelda plays has changed that much, but I think you should offer advice, and then we can compare it to how things are now. I'm sure you've advice that will still hold true.

Zone

Smash Champion
I dunno if the way Zelda plays has changed that much, but I think you should offer advice, and then we can compare it to how things are now. I'm sure you've advice that will still hold true.
not to mention that was my Zelda you posted that got ***** by Plank's Shiek.

I also got 3stocked by Tope at that tournament.

The best I've ever done against shiek was against Tope at Pound 5 where I got him down to 1 stock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxmfVV8THDA

he's 3-2 stocked most other times I'm Zelda though. So one close match is nothing. (we've only played a total of 5 matches together)

Best I can say is, You WILL have to try approaching(cuz when they get desperate trust me they can camp harder than you), Best you can do is condition them to be afraid of the kick, to allow you to go for things like a grab/Nair to shield poke.

Do approaching hops into wave-land away. Or SH-bair-waveland toward/away. you just have to stay really unpredictable yet safe at the same time. which is the hardest part... Because of how fast shiek can move you will be forced to eat things to trade(CC) and be forced to shield a bit when you make a mistake to protect yourself.

I've learned that once you are able to Force a shiek to have to up+B over the edge and their percent is like 80%+ not sure of the exact I forget the numbers. But you have enough time to get up over the edge re-grab easily, then backthrow again. And the backthrow is strong enough the shiek will be forced to do another up+B. careful backthrowing too early, Shiek with great DI can go high enough that they can aim for a platform with their up+B and then it's too late to regrab she isn't fast enough.

You really shouldn't be trying the match up like I was. I have a Fox, But the reason you see me fighting those shieks as Zelda is only because at that current time, I vowed to go all Zelda because some people wanted me to. And I was curious myself just how far I could get and it was apparently(CEO round 1 bracket losers) and round 2 pools(Pound5)with

Tope
Zhu
Vro(Cosmo's training partner)
S-man
YTMZ(Some samus player)
And Me

Shiek just has too much on you when she camps... cuz you're forced to go to her. And everything you do to her shield is relatively unsafe. Unless you're running away, and if you're running away... you're getting camped. It's a doom cycle

I try to be just outside her bubble of approach yet look like i'm trying to come in (While once in a while actually coming in other wise they'll never bite)
Then try to catch their approach, as I retreat. I'm forced to do the same against Fox, I just get close then back away, and hope to god he bites, Sometimes having to put myself in a EXTREMELY dangerous situation just to try and get him to bite. Cuz if you never approach.. they will Never bite the bait.

Maxwell Too Swell

Smash Apprentice
I played against a Sheik in tournament over the weekend. He 3 stocked me the first game, went Fox and lost to me, and then went back to Sheik where I 3 stocked him back. I was happy with myself on that one.

GOTM

Smash Champion
What is it about blue Zelda that's better? I play her because I know it's something, but I don't even know what that something is, lol.

Zone

Smash Champion
What is it about blue Zelda that's better? I play her because I know it's something, but I don't even know what that something is, lol.
Meaning of Blue taken from a website telling the meaning of colors:

Blue is the coolest color - the color of the sky, ocean, sleep, twilight. The ancient Egyptians used lapis lazuli to represent heaven. Blue symbolizes the Virgin Mary. A pure blue is the color of inspiration, sincerity and spirituality. Blue is often the chosen color by conservative people. Blue is the calming color. That makes it a wonderful color to use in the home, especially for babies. Blue is so soothing that is a good choice for pajamas. Dark blue is the color of truth and moderation. A blue iris means your friendship is very important to me. Wednesday's color is blue. Blue gemstones to wear to feel calm are blue sapphire and blue topaz. Lapis lazuli and azurite are said to heighten psychic power.

You play more calm CHECK!
You're inspired? CHECK!
Are you conservative? You kind of have to be to not get ***** by fox CHECK!

TheLake

Smash Master
I don't know what you guys are talking about.. It's all about RED Zelda!
GET OUT OF HERE WITH SUCH WORDS OF HATE!

I kicked m2k's shiek

because i was blue

greatness comes with the color

that transends glory itself

and good **** max! Nothing better than besting a shiek with zelda thats not joke :D

D

Deleted member

I played mew2king's sheik with my zelda exactly one time.

I don't remember much of the match but somewhere near the end I was up 2 stock @ 0 vs his last stock at 0 and he said "wow I'm losing to zelda she's horrible. i refuse to lose to zelda."

then there was 4 minutes of needles and he killed me.

and then it was down to last stock vs last stock at like 80% each or something and I was kicking at him and he was yelling NO NO to each kick.

and then i got one. the end.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I normally play green Zelda...

But I'll switch to blue, and see how that goes.

Pink Zelda, because it's her default color. Stock glitch

At first noobs are like "I'm fighting a Yoshi" then when Ready... GO happens, they're like "Wait a minute. That's a Zelda! Why's it got a Yoshi icon?"

D

Deleted member

yeah if you like losing.

zelda only really has one color. it is blue.

Top Bottom