• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda Video Discussion

Deviljho

Smash Journeyman
I have a motto about that predictability thing, (1) "if you want to beat someone, play like an idiot!" (2)Most of what I do is intentionally predictable because this yoshi is really slow to read and when he finally gets a sence of what I'm doing he does the same punish for at least one more stock, giving me a huge advantage. Also I turn my back as an edge-gaurd because anything I can do facing my opponent I think I can do better (or equal) facing away. Like this:
Kick: unaffected
Charging a smash: unaffected
Grabbing ledge: easier
Dijn's: unaffected

And threatening a Bair makes most people low. (Those whose character isn't INVINCIBLE until 150, aka recoveries that take thought) but maybe it's just my style of pit leaking into my style of Zelda.
1) Not in tourney play. I don't recommend that kiddo. ;)

2) Ehehehehe... It's so true. I do read slowly. And yet I still pull off combos on ya. ;) I may read slowly, but this Deviljho dishes out the damage. Hehehehe.

@WhiteLightnin What are your comments on me? I'm looking for tips here too. :laugh:

Angell

Smash Cadet
1) Not in tourney play. I don't recommend that kiddo. ;)

2) Ehehehehe... It's so true. I do read slowly. And yet I still pull off combos on ya. ;) I may read slowly, but this Deviljho dishes out the damage. Hehehehe.

@WhiteLightnin What are your comments on me? I'm looking for tips here too. :laugh:
Yoshi boards?

Deviljho

Smash Journeyman
Yoshi boards?
Trick question: I'm pretty much the only guy on there (Besides VMan mayhap) who knows ANYTHING on that MU. Or, at least, the only one that is actually trying to learn it that I can see. That's why I lurk the Zelda board, not just to moderate the megadump thread. xD

M@v

Subarashii!
More Zelda vids of me from the Pittsburgh PM bi-weeklies.

M@v(Zelda/Sheik/MK) vs Stro(Link) Winners Finals
Not my best set that's for sure. Nonetheless, games 1 and 2 have Zelda and Sheik
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj5DDbYjt9Q&list=PLJCuP6Odsy65k-Gjyipd-VIYqSmrpNoR8&index=2

M@v(Zelda/Sheik/MK) vs Logan(ZSS/Fox) Losers finals
Game 1, 4, and 5 are Zelda/Sheik games (12:25 is game 4)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhY-vePZ4cc&index=6&list=PLJCuP6Odsy65k-Gjyipd-VIYqSmrpNoR8

M@v(Zelda/Sheik/MK) vs Stro(Link/Ganon) Grand Finals
Really long set, but only 2 of the matches are MK, so lots of good Zelda and Sheik footage here :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqswVtrdbeY&list=PLJCuP6Odsy65k-Gjyipd-VIYqSmrpNoR8&index=3

Last edited:

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
More Zelda vids of me from the Pittsburgh PM bi-weeklies.

M@v(Zelda/Sheik/MK) vs Stro(Link) Winners Finals
Not my best set that's for sure. Nonetheless, games 1 and 2 have Zelda and Sheik
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj5DDbYjt9Q&list=PLJCuP6Odsy65k-Gjyipd-VIYqSmrpNoR8&index=2

M@v(Zelda/Sheik/MK) vs Logan(ZSS/Fox) Losers finals
Game 1, 4, and 5 are Zelda/Sheik games (12:25 is game 4)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhY-vePZ4cc&index=6&list=PLJCuP6Odsy65k-Gjyipd-VIYqSmrpNoR8

M@v(Zelda/Sheik/MK) vs Stro(Link/Ganon) Grand Finals
Really long set, but only 2 of the matches are MK, so lots of good Zelda and Sheik footage here :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqswVtrdbeY&list=PLJCuP6Odsy65k-Gjyipd-VIYqSmrpNoR8&index=3
Dude, loving your Shielda!!
LF (13:20) and GF (1:30, 11:35, 18:35, 19:00):
  • Didn't exactly work out well every time, but I noticed that you chose to transform to Sheik or Zelda under what I think are similar scenarios that I choose to. I primarily use Zelda on most stages except those detrimental to her (usually small ones with smaller boundaries), which I feel benefit Sheik's shorter recovery.
  • For Zelda --> Sheik, Zelda must be high % - her medium/light weight starts enabling bad-floaty-deaths more than benefiting her recovery, and Sheik isn't as easily comboed.
  • For Sheik --> Zelda, usually transform at low %s if Sheik is getting juggled to heck, and/or if the opponent doesn't know how to handle dins/the Zelda MU in general.
  • Also often try to transform after hitting them away at high %, so by the time they get back, Shielda can go for a quick kill without letting them adjust too much to the other character. Or, while they're respawning, I'll transform if I feel they might be getting too used to any playstyle habits/patterns of the other character for me to sufficiently wrack up early damage on them to maintain a lead.
  • These two scenarios obviously sort of link in to each other, too, so if Sheilda transforms to get the kill on the high% opponent, I'll mix it up and sometimes have her stay transformed for the next life as well, which keeps the opponent guessing and not completely sure of when you're trying to swap.
Is my Shielda logic on or off-point? Did you share any of this train of thought? Is there any deeper reasoning / other scenarios in which you choose to use transform to Sheik/Zelda that I'm not considering?

Last edited:

M@v

Subarashii!
Dude, loving your Shielda!!
LF (13:20) and GF (1:30, 11:35, 18:35, 19:00):
  • Didn't exactly work out well every time, but I noticed that you chose to transform to Sheik or Zelda under what I think are similar scenarios that I choose to. I primarily use Zelda on most stages except those detrimental to her (usually small ones with smaller boundaries), which I feel benefit Sheik's shorter recovery.
  • For Zelda --> Sheik, Zelda must be high % - her medium/light weight starts enabling bad-floaty-deaths more than benefiting her recovery, and Sheik isn't as easily comboed.
  • For Sheik --> Zelda, usually transform at low %s if Sheik is getting juggled to heck, and/or if the opponent doesn't know how to handle dins/the Zelda MU in general.
  • Also often try to transform after hitting them away at high %, so by the time they get back, Shielda can go for a quick kill without letting them adjust too much to the other character. Or, while they're respawning, I'll transform if I feel they might be getting too used to any playstyle habits/patterns of the other character for me to sufficiently wrack up early damage on them to maintain a lead.
  • These two scenarios obviously sort of link in to each other, too, so if Sheilda transforms to get the kill on the high% opponent, I'll mix it up and sometimes have her stay transformed for the next life as well, which keeps the opponent guessing and not completely sure of when you're trying to swap.
Is my Shielda logic on or off-point? Did you share any of this train of thought? Is there any deeper reasoning / other scenarios in which you choose to use transform to Sheik/Zelda that I'm not considering?
Honestly, I feel its moreso up the player, but I do it just out of "game sense" as I call it. Its hard to describe, but I just get a sudden feeling in my gut/head that tells me to switch a lot of time. You need to let it flow and not force transformations. Also, you need to be able to analyze when it might help. Some of those reasons you mentioned do work. You are on point with the "Attempt to force them to adapt/keep them guessing thought. I tend to switch for reasons such as:
-A mixup to force them to adapt
-I think I will have an easier time finishing X character with the transformation
-I'm getting clobbered and can't figure out how to solve problem X with who I'm currently playing as.
-Realize they are really good vs the character you are playing, or are bad vs the one you are not.
-Use Zelda 95% of the time you are playing one of the "melee only players who also plays pm just because" types. They WON'T know the Zelda matchup well, but they will know the Sheik matchup much better, outside the one or two PM only things sheik has (I.E. Backthrow).
-Transform to sheik at high percent so when I die, I can come back and bait them into attacking my invulnerability when I immediately transform back to zelda off the angel platform (NOTE: This is straight up a gimmick that will only work on those who don't know about it....which is a loooooooooot of people. Sometimes you'll get people fall for it twice because they think they just mistimed it or something weird happened the first time.)

Only transform when its safe too (I.E. when you knock them a good distance away). Be aware transforming generally comes at the cost of a chance to edgeguard them. Only time its ok to transform when not safe is when recovering and you feel its your only option. Now if you're confident, transforming mid combo and keeping it going somehow is sexy as ****, but pretty impractical and unreliable; it's just for stylin' point lolol.

Lastly, My Sheik is good, but my Zelda is still significantly better. You need to realize which of the two you are superior with, and by how much. In my case, I still want to be Zelda more times than not, unless I'm being utterly shut down with her and have no other choice than to be sheik more often. In my case, I should only use sheik as the occasional mix up, and treat her more so as a "move" of Zelda's, like I treat Din's fire as a move, if that makes any sense :3

Last edited:

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
Now if you're confident, transforming mid combo and keeping it going somehow is sexy as ****, but pretty impractical and unreliable; it's just for stylin' point lolol.
How have I never thought about the stylin implications of doing that...?? Always struggled going for style points somehow a Sheik/Zelda main, besides Sheik Up-B kills or crazy Zhime Din combos, both of which don't happen too often. xD May be impractical, but it's something to keep in mind once i get the timing down - always go for the style points ;D if it's safe lol.

Thanks for the other tips, too! I'll make sure to keep aware of any chances that pop up to use transform in those ways.

Last edited:

Rizner

Smash Ace
So I'm gonna try to post videos here more often, both for others to catch and so I can look back at it in a while to see if there are persistent issues or how the progress is going and point out what has changed.

With that in mind, video playlist for tournament matches played on stream last weekend:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiL_vBtVy-Q&list=PLo6rD2KsQ1I_VhPRQmxLWRqM8Ayp3mZXr

As always, feel free to comment on anything seen.

Last edited:

Grime.

Smash Apprentice

drsusredfish

Smash Ace
I move that the "super sweet hit box" of fair and bair be called the Salty hit box. So we have the weak hit, sour hit, sweet hit, and now Salty hit. It fits the other players emotions and we fill out all our taste buds (weak can be a synonym for bitter)

Last edited:

HanAmes

Smash Ace
Hello, everybody! I'm really looking to improve my game with Zelda, and I'm looking for feedback, since I can't come up with an answer for myself. I really have a hard time dealing with projectiles since since NL can potentially keep we open whenever I try reflecting them, and it's also hard for me to maneuver around them since Zelda is a floaty character. At least I've been able to catch one of my mistakes, after learning the hard way that I shouldn't roll into my opponent, just to close in. So I really need help in approaching a projectile heavy character.

This is a video of me playing against my friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Bqy6XjCiZQ

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
Currently its questioned in the TX region who is better me or keys, so if there is anything i could work on to be better, please let me know
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83JHX0FF94A (DMG gave me the business)
Way to much standing dens. when your facing opponents who have decent speed and its flat ground, dont throw out dins like that.
do you play with tap jump off?
i see no diamond dives or love jumps or boosted FW.
good usmash to aerial combos.
use wavedashing to assist in spacing out his sword.

would love to see you up in OK on the 26th to play you.

WhiteCrow

Smash Journeyman
Hello fellow Zelda's. I finally got some tourney footage uploaded from a tournament last month. Any commentary is appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23TYuyCU1Vs&list=UU19yA4b2ddQ6nRhok9HCgUg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCPWkko1YGU&list=UU19yA4b2ddQ6nRhok9HCgUg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=attiMT7wH_w&list=UU19yA4b2ddQ6nRhok9HCgUg

I think I've grown a lot since this tournament. I've tightened up my tech skill and held more smashfests. There'll be a big Portland tournament on the 27th and I want top 8 again. Anyhow, I've only just started watching these sets again but I remember my dash attacks were awful against Rezzer. I wasn't consistent with my Nayru's against Mofat, otherwise his projectile pressure would have been under control. His recovery was really linear, I should have punished it more.

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
ah figures mojo hijacked all my attendees >.< lol but yea dude. you could avoid alot of combos with diamond dive and love jump as well as BFW if you use it right. your really good at where you place your dins, its just not always necessary. I myself have issues with this from time to time due to old habits haha

WhiteCrow

Smash Journeyman
@ the_irish_dude the_irish_dude : Those SD's in the match with Rave were pretty rough but you made up for it with solid sweet spots. In the air you landed lot of kicks which is a compliment to your aerial spacing. Against a floaty character like Samus you opted for a lot of down throws (without pummels) and didn't get a lot of follow ups (until Rave had really bad DI near the ledge). Forward throws can lead to fairs and up airs based on DI, and are better at getting people offstage, which is where you always want your opponent. You had a lot of Din confirms at high percent that you spent setting another Din instead of capitalizing. Your bairs OoS were on point, especially later in the game when you were reading his approaches. I would have liked to see more options OoS though, like nair, Farore's Wind, wave dash>smash. Things I'm totally stealing from you: 1) Nair land canceled to forward smash and 2) bair/fair on shield to Nayru (would be fun b-reversing these). Good stuff.

You had the right idea with you Nayru's Love spacing against the Mario, but b-reversed Nayru's and wave-bounced Nayru's would have been more effective and safer. He was on top of your shield a lot in this set, maybe up smash OoS would have helped against the pressure? Your teledash movement was very timid in you sets. You would only teleport around and to the stage, and you didn't go between platforms very frequently. I know it's hard (I still have issues with it) so it's something we should all work on. How amazing will all of us be when we have fluent teledashing between platforms? Anyhow, stay consistent, work on OoS options under pressure, and keep up that awesome aerial spacing game. I have a feeling you're going to be a really strong player versus floaties.

WhiteCrow

Smash Journeyman
@ Grime. Grime. : Against Xcia you opted for up smashes where you could have gotten a re-grab into up throw to extend the combo. I'm jealous you got to take a Fox to FD, all the spacies in my region are savvy to the chain grab. There were also a lot of dash attacks that weren't spaced well but I have that issue too. Your grab punishes are really solid but your DI could use some work. Against Marth you were constantly trying to land close to or DI into Marth/into stage, which just got you faired and juggled. Against Scruba (and against Xcia) I didn't see one down tilit. It would have been safer on shield than your dash attacks. You've got your Din movement down, especially your on stage traps. If you're going to keep setting Din's in the mid range you need to be wary about it's end lag. Use your solid grabs to get your traps up instead of always going for an aerial. You don't move around a ton with Zelda and your on stage traps are good, control more space with them after grabs so you get more setups. Lastly, please grab ledge more. You gave up stocks you deserved by staying back and setting Din's.

EDIT: Sorry for double posting, I just really wanted to write.

Last edited:
3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
@ the_irish_dude the_irish_dude : a bunch of useful stuff
thanks dude. i have a hard time nayrus canceling :/idk why but i do. as for teledashing through platforms,i could probably do it more but i probably thought since i play this guy alot and he has that missile spam which probably kept me timid.

how do you guys deal with Yoshi, and luigi?

Grime.

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the feedback guys! Ill implement that into my game. Gannon is a trouble for me, I dont play many luigis or yoshis :/ But i get alot of marths lol

WhiteCrow

Smash Journeyman
how do you guys deal with Yoshi, and luigi?
The Luigi's and Yoshi's I've played with aren't super high level but I have a bit of theory. While Din's might not seem as helpful against Luigi's tornado they are worth the investment to limit his wave-dash approaches. Be very aware of his wave-lands out of aerials, especially if you see him swatting your traps away at low heights. His wave-dash forward into forward tilt are good for removing Din's too, but it cuts his tilt hitbox animation short. If you notice the opposing Luigi likes removing your Din's a lot start punishing for taking the time to do so. Luigi combos us hard with nair into anything. Down smash is really good at resetting to neutral, and b-reversed Nayru's Love is safer because of his stubby limbs. Remember all of the great things you get against floaties; down tilt>up tilt, teledash>up tilt, forward throw mixups, Din's as a raw projectile leading to easy confirms at high percent, forward tilt>up air.

Against Yoshi be very aware of double jump armor. What might look like an advantageous sweet spot could turn into a strong nair or fair trade. Yoshi's weight and size make him susceptible to our titlt combos and forward throw mixups. Eggs combo Zelda since she's so light, so try and stick to stages with platforms you can hide below. I don't have as much experience here so it's mostly theory.

I only have problems with Ganon's who space fair, nair, and forward tilt all day. He's really fun/easy to edge guard with Din's and he's slow enough to not be able to punish full screen camping. Just make sure you DI away from the stage to escape combos and Ganon's strings are reduced to one or two hits. He has a hard time against Nayru in neutral too.

Searing_Sorrow

Smash Journeyman
Never mind, will go in blind again. Not too many Zelda mains in my area so can handle not being overly fluent in the matchup. Will just go for bait and punish and try and stay safe. Up b has way too much load time and dins while on stage is too dangerous. Just can't approach her massive punish game.

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
@ Searing_Sorrow Searing_Sorrow who do you play as? I don't get a lot of time on the boards,so it rare for me to watch other vids. Sorry.
Everyone feel free to PM and ill respond ASAP. I run SCG backroom so I have a lot of stuff on my plate as well as practicing and work and my daughter >.<

Tune in tomorrow around 5 tomorrow for PM. 2 for melee.

I cant watch vids right now but against link, if you can get semi close you can attempt to approach with nayrus LCancel then go from there. He is heavy enough to fthrow fair at percents. Also, if you dthrow, you can tech chase with teleport pretty easily.

Stage control is important. Don't let him have a lot of space to use is items.

Last edited:

Kaeldiar

Smash Ace
Against Link, in no particular order:
1. Approach with f-air and LC Nayru's. It's weird, but f-air is actually a REALLY good approach against him. 2. DI his d-throw behind him.
3. If you want to reflect the boomerang, do so with an LC Nayru's or do it as it comes BACK to Link. It won't change the trajectory, but it will change ownership of the projectile
3. Don't reflect the bombs, not worth it
4. Use Din's appropriately. Link barrels through them without much problem (including even his n-air), so one stray mine won't do a lot.
5. Overall, Nayru is an effective tool against him
6. Shield-grab if he starts n-airplaning

7. Remember that your u-air beats his d-air
8. Do NOT use din's during recovery, you'll get arrowed

EDIT: #2 got smushed into #1, now fixed

Last edited:

HanAmes

Smash Ace
Against Link, in particular order:
1. Approach with f-air and LC Nayru's. It's weird, but f-air is actually a REALLY good approach against him. DI his d-throw behind him.
3. If you want to reflect the boomerang, do so with an LC Nayru's or do it as it comes BACK to Link. It won't change the trajectory, but it will change ownership of the projectile
3. Don't reflect the bombs, not worth it
4. Use Din's appropriately. Link barrels through them without much problem (including even his n-air), so one stray mine won't do a lot.
5. Overall, Nayru is an effective tool against him
6. Shield-grab if he starts n-airplaning

7. Remember that your u-air beats his d-air
8. Do NOT use din's during recovery, you'll get arrowed
I can also apply this strategy to my match up against Link as well, since I, too, have problems dealing with his projectiles. It's also tough dealing with his close range attacks, too, since he can string 'em together like it's nothing. Perhaps I'll post another video soon.

Searing_Sorrow

Smash Journeyman
Oh sorry only met Zelda in teams this time and I am a decent diddy main. I said never mind because I ended up with a 12h shift before having to drive to the tourney. Took 5th but could have done a lot better. But too tired to care right now

M@v

Subarashii!
Here's 3 sets of my Zelda/Sheik from the most recent weekly (I'm Zelda/Sheik in all of them the entire time sans the last match of me vs Nakamaru)

M@v vs SeasonableClout
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIy6UDralkw&index=3&list=PLJCuP6Odsy65-E5vvLRYPeE6nuTpd3Jli

M@v vs Sam Xu (best of 5)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jRMNeUqPNY&list=PLJCuP6Odsy65-E5vvLRYPeE6nuTpd3Jli&index=9

M@v vs Nakamaru (best of 5)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRtpYDBOyIQ&index=7&list=PLJCuP6Odsy65-E5vvLRYPeE6nuTpd3Jli

Last edited:

shapular

Smash Ace
Hey guys, I'm a G&W main who plays a bit of Zelda. I play her a good bit in Brawl and she's one of my best characters, so I try to transfer that over to PM Zelda. My Din's game is pretty weak, though. I played her in my local weekly today and did decently, but I could use some critique. Here are the matches:

http://www.twitch.tv/chattownsmash/b/559838579?t=30m55s This one probably isn't worth critiquing. I was still getting used to Zelda and I won anyway.
http://www.twitch.tv/chattownsmash/b/559838579?t=2h31m33s This is the guy who always beats me. It took me a while to adjust to some things. Still not really sure how to edgeguard him.
http://www.twitch.tv/chattownsmash/b/559838579?t=3h19m37s I always beat this guy but it's been close lately. This is the last tourney match. I could use some matchup tips on this one. It took me a couple stocks to adjust to his dairs on shield. I think I can beat him next week.
http://www.twitch.tv/chattownsmash/b/559838579?t=3h57m03s Here's a couple of friendlies. The first one is against a good Ike that I go close with but always beat. I need some matchup help on this one. He seems hard to camp. The second game is the Ness again. I figured out some things about the matchup and almost won.

I'll read the guide and figure out some fancy PM Zelda things that I don't know for next week.

Kaeldiar

Smash Ace
Hey guys, I'm a G&W main who plays a bit of Zelda. I play her a good bit in Brawl and she's one of my best characters, so I try to transfer that over to PM Zelda. My Din's game is pretty weak, though. I played her in my local weekly today and did decently, but I could use some critique. Here are the matches:

http://www.twitch.tv/chattownsmash/b/559838579?t=30m55s This one probably isn't worth critiquing. I was still getting used to Zelda and I won anyway.
http://www.twitch.tv/chattownsmash/b/559838579?t=2h31m33s This is the guy who always beats me. It took me a while to adjust to some things. Still not really sure how to edgeguard him.
http://www.twitch.tv/chattownsmash/b/559838579?t=3h19m37s I always beat this guy but it's been close lately. This is the last tourney match. I could use some matchup tips on this one. It took me a couple stocks to adjust to his dairs on shield. I think I can beat him next week.
http://www.twitch.tv/chattownsmash/b/559838579?t=3h57m03s Here's a couple of friendlies. The first one is against a good Ike that I go close with but always beat. I need some matchup help on this one. He seems hard to camp. The second game is the Ness again. I figured out some things about the matchup and almost won.

I'll read the guide and figure out some fancy PM Zelda things that I don't know for next week.
Tried to watch the videos, but my internet is only so-so, and Twitch VODs suck at loading, so I could only get so much :/

From what I did see, you don't grab enough, especially against Ness. Zelda's d-throw and f-throw lead into some good combos, and b-throw will kill. Be careful when placing Din's, as you often tried to use Din's and plopped yourself right in range to get hit. Wavebouncing is a good idea. It will push you back as you cast Din's. Just input the normal forward-b while in the air, then IMMEDIATELY hit back and then forward again on the control stick. You don't seem to use Teledash, which is a useful trick to get used to. It improves her mobility leagues.

Edgeguarding Ness:
He has 7 frames of invincibility at the start of PKT2, so do NOT go out to hit him unless you KNOW you will get there before PKT2 starts...your basic options
1. Jump out and kick him while he's is trying to hit himself with PKT
2. Jump on top of him so that PKT hits you and disappears (ultimate disrespect)
3. If you cannot safely make it out to where he is before he starts PKT2, try to get a feel for where PKT2 stops so that you can punish him (likely with a kick). He has a fair amount of maneuverability after it, so this is harder than it sounds, and if he hits the ground during PKT2, he has like 0 endlag.
4. Grab him out of PKT2
5. D-smash him out of PKT2 (you have leg invincibility so this is actually a thing)
6. You CAN kick him out of PKT2 at any point with just a f-air or b-air, but the spacing is difficult and you'll end up trading. HINT: You lose the trade

More Ness stuff:
Don't get hit by PK Fire. Ever. Do your absolute best NOT to get hit. Remember that shielding it is almost worse than just flat out getting hit. You need to AVOID it, not just block it. If he tries to absorb Din's, go and punish it! If it looks like he's getting ready to absorb, be waiting to punish. Try not to get grabbed, and get plenty of grabs yourself. Ness and Zelda both have near-guaranteed follow-ups on their d-throws against each other.

Otherwise, you're starting to catch on to how Zelda works. You just need to play with her more so that you are more familiar with your options. Watching you, you're doing too much thinking about "What do I do next?" or "How can I handle this?" These are NOT bad things to be thinking, but you want them to be second nature. You want to be thinking about, "What is my opponent going to do next?" Reading your opponent is crucial to good Zelda play. I always like to bring out Melee Zelda every now and then, because it forces me to just dash dance, wavedash, and space kicks. Since it's so simple, you get to read your opponent and spend less time focusing on what YOU are doing.

THE SUMMARY:
Don't get too close when casting Din's
Grab more
Teledashing is good
Ness specifics
PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE until Zelda is second nature

shapular

Smash Ace
Tried to watch the videos, but my internet is only so-so, and Twitch VODs suck at loading, so I could only get so much :/

From what I did see, you don't grab enough, especially against Ness. Zelda's d-throw and f-throw lead into some good combos, and b-throw will kill. Be careful when placing Din's, as you often tried to use Din's and plopped yourself right in range to get hit. Wavebouncing is a good idea. It will push you back as you cast Din's. Just input the normal forward-b while in the air, then IMMEDIATELY hit back and then forward again on the control stick. You don't seem to use Teledash, which is a useful trick to get used to. It improves her mobility leagues.

Edgeguarding Ness:
He has 7 frames of invincibility at the start of PKT2, so do NOT go out to hit him unless you KNOW you will get there before PKT2 starts...your basic options
1. Jump out and kick him while he's is trying to hit himself with PKT
2. Jump on top of him so that PKT hits you and disappears (ultimate disrespect)
3. If you cannot safely make it out to where he is before he starts PKT2, try to get a feel for where PKT2 stops so that you can punish him (likely with a kick). He has a fair amount of maneuverability after it, so this is harder than it sounds, and if he hits the ground during PKT2, he has like 0 endlag.
4. Grab him out of PKT2
5. D-smash him out of PKT2 (you have leg invincibility so this is actually a thing)
6. You CAN kick him out of PKT2 at any point with just a f-air or b-air, but the spacing is difficult and you'll end up trading. HINT: You lose the trade

More Ness stuff:
Don't get hit by PK Fire. Ever. Do your absolute best NOT to get hit. Remember that shielding it is almost worse than just flat out getting hit. You need to AVOID it, not just block it. If he tries to absorb Din's, go and punish it! If it looks like he's getting ready to absorb, be waiting to punish. Try not to get grabbed, and get plenty of grabs yourself. Ness and Zelda both have near-guaranteed follow-ups on their d-throws against each other.

Otherwise, you're starting to catch on to how Zelda works. You just need to play with her more so that you are more familiar with your options. Watching you, you're doing too much thinking about "What do I do next?" or "How can I handle this?" These are NOT bad things to be thinking, but you want them to be second nature. You want to be thinking about, "What is my opponent going to do next?" Reading your opponent is crucial to good Zelda play. I always like to bring out Melee Zelda every now and then, because it forces me to just dash dance, wavedash, and space kicks. Since it's so simple, you get to read your opponent and spend less time focusing on what YOU are doing.

THE SUMMARY:
Don't get too close when casting Din's
Grab more
Teledashing is good
Ness specifics
PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE until Zelda is second nature
I'm glad you were able to watch at least part of it and respond. Thank you. I know most of that general stuff about Ness, believe me ._. He's really annoying. I did try d-smashing him out of PKT2 once but I released it way too early and didn't try it again after that. I'll keep it in mind. I don't know if you saw the friendly with the Ness, but I started reflecting most of his PK Fires with Nayru's and only got hit by one or two of them that game. Of course, if he starts adapting to that I'll try something else (I think he actually baited it once but I don't know if it was intentional). Can you elaborate on those f-throw and d-throw combos? I'm not too familiar with the throws. You're right that I wasn't using teledash. I knew it was a thing but I didn't know exactly what it was or how to do it. I practiced it a little bit earlier today but I don't know if I'll be able to use it for anything useful this week. Thanks again, and maybe I'll post some more videos this week if I have anything useful to post.

Kaeldiar

Smash Ace
D-throw is your go-to throw at non-kill %, since it does 15% can lead into a regrab, an aerial (preferably a critical b-air), or at the very least dash attack. Ness's weight and fall speed make it hard for him to escape unscathed.
F-throw leads into f-air, and is a good DI mix-up with d-throw.
While we're at it....
Up-throw is useful only for chaingrabs or > up-smash on fast fallers.
B-throw is your kill throw.

Kaeldiar

Smash Ace
Here's the only set that I played on stream yesterday at SSS. This video should help with those who have trouble with Diddy Kong. Even though I lost, it still should provide some insight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht6cB8oifK8&list=PLP3_Ok9dwhEGDCRcqL7lEdUnqBmKDqt9g&index=14
Nice job! Disqo is no slouch, and he's played Zhime a lot, so that Diddy knew how to play against Zelda. I think what's important to note is just how safe you played. You didn't overextend combos and accidentally put yourself in a bad position. Banana control went a long way. So many powershielded bananas...

Searing_Sorrow

Smash Journeyman
Nice play pit bull, some matchup knowledge for the future. Most diddy players want to do down throw so d.I away from him to avoid followups. If diddy has a banana in hand , the options and speed he can approach you greatly increases so remember that when using dins fire on the ground. Overall very nice and you did enough right in neutral to win,.would probably say overuse of up throw since after 40 there is definitely no guaranteed followup, and a fast forward throw or down throw would either give 15% damage or provide a chance at a fair if bad d.I.

In future matches Zelda's up b Waveland allows for speedy item control, and be careful when he starts to bait naryu's love with peanuts (depending on contact point they break on reflect and diddy gets a free banana hit. This is a patient matchup between a defensive character with powerful punishes, and a zoning pressure character that does not have to approach or overextend. Expect to have a ton of neutral game resets, and don't be afraid to hit bad up b angles with your down smash, Zelda has leg invincibility. Dins fire is not the best edge guard in this case cause misfire will usually provide a safe up b after hitting one on impact.

Last edited:

Pitbuller26

Smash Lord
Diddy is the matchup I know the most in PM. I'm still not used to wavelanding to grab items since I'm in the habit of being able to catch bananas in Brawl, especially landing on them.

I tend to use Din's for edgeguarding because I don't want to trade with Diddy and I want to stay in a position where I can dash dance pivot grab. I find Up throw to be good for killing Diddy between 60~90%, I missed the perfect opportunity in the last match where he airdodged.

You're right about the matchup being two defensive characters with big punishes on each other. Either I was D.I.ing wrong but Diddy's dash attack just ruins Zelda's day if she gets hit by it.

Top Bottom