• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda Tip list

Zone

Smash Champion
I figured I should start sharing my knowledge more. For people who may have either forgotten or perhaps don't know of certain things Zelda is capable of. I have decided to Update this with a random tidbit here and there. Take it as you want. If you feel something I say is useless, please speak up. I normally try to be really unbiased. Let me know what you think. I'll share more knowledge if people find this helpful. Zelda forumns feel more dead and I enjoy talking to people about Zelda. Everything I post is up for Debate, I don't have things like Action replay to share frame data or anything.

Getting to the Edge Faster.

1.)Platform Cancelling: Try to use the edge of platforms. For example, I'm sure people have seen platform cancelling on the edge of platforms. Well Take for example, Poke'mon Stadium, if Zelda stands in the exact center on one of the Platforms when the stage is in nuetral mode. The end of Zelda's Up+B upon landing will have nearly no lag on the opposite platform. Work on zelda's positioning so you know where you can tele to get to the edge faster with little lag.

2.)Edgehogging?: While running on the ground for the edge. I've seen many people try to run off the edge, into a Up+B, and into a sweet spot. I believe, Instead Zelda players should start working on running all the way towad the edge. And when you get crazy close, Wavedash toward the edge. So you can reset your option to Dash dance and choose one of the first 2 options.

a.)Pivot edge hog: If you dash dance toward the edge, then back away from it just as Zelda falls off. Zelda will be turned around and grabbing the edge. This is the fastest Method imo. I don't really have ways to do severe testing but I feel it's pretty obvious. This is pretty hard, and may result in possibly failed Edge guard. In fact it's so hard it's near impossible to do consistently. So option b is the better choice.

b.)Moonwalk to edge: Dash Dance toward the edge, and near the end, reverse Zelda's Direction with the dash dance, made capable by the wavedash you did. And Moonwalk toward the edge. I found this to be slightly slower than choice a. But until that's mastered I suggest doing this option. So Zelda's moonwalk isn't as useless as I had once thought.

c.)Farore's Wind: I see alot of Zelda players use this method to grab the edge. IMO it's only slightly slower than choice b, But the main thing that turns me off to it, is the hitbox it puts out if your opponent is already near the edge. For example, let's say falcon wasn't going to make it on stage, Only for the edge, and it was really apparent. He's gaining fast to the edge, your hit box could give him another up+b when his death woulda been garanteed. Now please note, often times depending on percent, you may be able to combo out of your up+B, Depending on hit stun, and opponent DI of course. I've done the Farore's Edge hog method before, popped a Falcon upward, and was able to get off the edge, and a N-air him. Although flashy and cool. I woulda preferred to not hit him and get that kill.

d.)Not on the base floor: Let's say you got a nice kick off on but you know it's not going to kill them, Marth was only like 35%. You are already standing on the edge of the platform, or your in the air. I believe it's faster to use choice c, like above, except now it's because your not on the base ground. If you are still in the air after the kick, just DI off stage, into a Up+B sweet spot. If you say double jump platform cancelled a kick. Probably faster to run off the edge and DI out into a Up+B sweet spot. Than obviously to take the time to get on the base floor.

Platform Game

Synopsis:
This is a general coverage of her platform game. A more in-depth look will happen if I decide to go into specific character match ups. As with all characters Zelda needs to know her platform game to maximize her limited potential. As a general rule to most characters, Zelda does not want to be above a character. Zelda's down-air, is very weak, and doesn't have good priority and even if it can trade hits, it's excessively harder to time than most characters up-airs. In conclusion she's easily juggled or vulnerable when someone is directly vertically below her. Also note, that not all of her platforming tricks will be mentioned below. They will be mentioned in other categories such as recovery ect. So I'd like to first mention Defensive options, then follow up with Offensive options.

Defense
1.) Light Shield
Very important when you are stuck on a platform and someone is beneath you, particularly mostly dealing with Marth. Zelda's feet are very vulnerable to being shield poked, so anytime you are on a platform above someone. And an attack is obviously approaching. You'll want to most likely light shield which will better cover her feet. Please note that while lightshielding Zelda is pushed around a little easier, which could result in her stumbling off an edge of a platform if she's standing on the far edge.

Wave land
This will make Zelda's game a little faster around the platforms which goes good for defense and offense, but first is first, about defense. Baiting falls into the defense category from my perspective up until the counter action is made. Baiting is important for Zelda, because her safe approaches are very very limited, and predictable. Wave landing off platforms away from people chasing you can give you an opening when they swing to miss. Or putting ur DI to the left as your being juggled, and a character goes to follow your DI while you have full control of your character. Wave-landing in the opposite direction can save you from their prediction of where you were about to be. Mixing is always good. Don't always go one way if they start picking up on repeating patterns that you make that is bad. Mix it up when you realize they are catching on to patterns. I mean you wouldn't want to always tech one direction even if it's considered slightly safer? Eventually they'll catch on and start punishing that choice.

Using Platforms as a shield.
People like Falcon may try and Down-air you from above a platform, because his hitbox is gay and can sometimes pull peolpe from underneath a platform above it. Depending on the stage, you could duck those attempts, or of course try to get out of there. Light shield will help as well because people tend to shield poke best at the top of shields and the bottom. You could try and trade hits with a move like uptilt. Also if someone is coming for a double jump down-air like Falco. You can double down, through a platform into a l-cancelled up-air and cover most of the platform ground. Which will beat his down-air. And possibly open up combo opportunities. I won't re-add this into offensive since this generally counts as both.

Offense
Double Jump platform cancel.
On a stage like battle field you can jump, then immediately use your double jump much like Samus. Zelda will land pretty much perfectly on her feet. This opens up for quicker kicks that are prepared to be l-cancelled the moment they are released. Instead of jumping, and having to fast fall and delaying a kick. This is also good for getting to the platform so you can tech chase after up-throwing a falcon or somewhat above. Usually much like Jigglypuff, likes to tech chase to rest. You usually want to tech chase to kick if you believe they'll roll. If they are directly above you however, and they learn to stop rolling and tech in place to avoid a kick. You could try and up-tilt through the platform depending on stage. Or double jump, and do something while being on the same ground level. Double jump N-air into l-cancelled Up+Smash or whatever. This works even if they are just standing there with their shield up. So you can throw an attack out. More than likely try and stay behind them if you can to avoid a easy shield grab if he shields both your aerial and ur ground move.

Wave landing
You can wave land to run away and avoid hits. But you can also use it to approach. People who are aerial lovers love to chase after zelda with aerials. You can run away, and they'll think they need to throw their attack further out to catch you. Once they think this, and you already plan on wavelanding back toward them after a jump. This can catch them off guard and leave you with the first attack. Works best with N-air in most occasions and can usually lead to another move. Kick, is another option, though a little harder to land the sweet spot because of the lag it takes to jump, then waveland. So is up-air, which is less likely to be as useful, but could have its' uses against a float cancelling peach.

Delay
Remember even if you don't use double jumps to cancel your aerials. Against a more experienced player who is use to fighting Zelda, they generally are afraid of the kick and will hold thier shield long enough so you can fastfall and land it. But they will still take their risk here and there and go for the hit when you jump at them. But as I said Generally you can delay the kick long enough so you can safely l-cancel it into something instead of being stuck in the air after you kick, so they can more easily retaliate. Inexperienced players may just try and hit you when you approach not knowing that simply shielding a jump'd kick nearly gives them a free hit unless zelda's DI'ing away as she kicks. So they tend to just attack you leaving your better option to just kick immediately. It's all relative information. Knowing your options, and what options your opponent tends to lean to. I may have spoken in stereotypes, or speaking too general, but study your opponents. Learn as much as possible from the first match you play whether you win or lose. So next match you are more prepared.

*NEWLY ADDED* Forcing them into your uptilt or upsmash.

If you notice they are shielding on the edge of a platform if you knocked them up there and they are waiting for the kick. or whatever. They are shielding, and it happens to be near the edge. You can often up-air, and the explosion will force them to tumble off the edge. L-cancel that into a Up-tilt, or Up-Smash. Or if it's on the edge of a platform near the edge of the ground stage, go for a down-smash and try to knock them off. It's good to note however alot of characters can simply hold down while shielding so when you force them off they fast fall and sometimes faster than you can uptilt.

Show me your feet I'll show you mine

If their feet are poking out of their shield feel free to attempt to place a really nicely accurately placed foot at the most bottom of their feet for a kick shield poke.

Spacing

Light shield
This can be used to space you away from a barrage of attacks like falco's pressure game or fox's pressure game. and get you closer to safety. You can even change to heavy shield toward the end when you hit the right spacing and then punish them for it, Be very careful not to change to heavy shield just as either fox of falco or any good shield poker like Marth just as they down tilt. If you still want to heavy shield, you can aim it down to cover your feet just incase of down tilt, but then this leaves your head more open. It's all relative to reading the opponent. Light shield can space you away from over head pokers like Ganon's F-air.

Wavedash - Dash Dance
By themselves I guess they are pretty crap. Wavedash more crap than Dash dance. however combined they make a really good spacing and rushing back in tool. I believe I mentioned it before how you use wave-dash to reset your ability to dash dance. And you use dash dance to make it easier to pivot an attack or rush in with a dash attack. Surely just running away and turning around to dash attack is too slow unless it's a dash dance. But what if you need to run farther? That's why wave-dash can save you by resetting your dash dance. Good for getting out of the fire, and back in with water. Baiting so to speak. Mix up your baiting. If you hit your opponent with 2 baited dash attacks. Don't keep using it cuz it was working, they'll change up their strat sooner or later.

Retreating Aerials
Far more important than approaching ones. Because if these are shielded, your more likely safe than you are if your approaching one was shielded. Zelda's double b-air's are not fast enough in between to spam on someone's shield. It may scare someone who doesn't know how to fight Zelda. But it won't scare someone who knows. They'll just do something out of shield and punish you. Sometimes even with really good spacing. Like Marth for example. No matter how far you are he can pretty much just jump out of shield with a f-air. Unless of course, you do a retreating aerial on him. IF it hits. good you got a hit. If not? atleast your at a safe distance. Now you may have seen me or some other Zeldas approach with kick and get 2 in a row. I'm not saying NEVER approach. Just the approaches that you make should feel way more solid that you are going to hit them. Don't forget alot of empty hops. Spamming kicks in their direction when it's not giving any pressure is bad. Empty hops so when they come in. you can just put the kick out with good timing. or if you predict a juke (fake approach). L-cancel into jab or something, or call it and keep holding the kick.

Edge guarding
Learn how far everyone rolls into the stage. Learn how high you should go for a kick when they choose to jump into the stage. Learn that alot of falcos like to come over with lasers so show them a naryu's love. Naryu's love can kick anything's anus that comes over the edge if timed correctly. The one person you may not ever want to mess with near the edge is Shiek. Just get away and either toss 1-2 din's fire. Don't spam Shiek can reach you before can probably blow it up. You can try to space f-smash, or crounch cancel shiek's approach over the edge into a down smash. But I believe it's very risky. Shiek's edge game is pretty good. Learn your favorite match ups if not all. How far they can reach into the stage with an aerial. How far they waveland. What are your opponents favorite ways of coming over the edge? Does shiek like to hit you with f-air and go back to the edge? if so naryu's out of shield can usually hit her before she makes it back. ect. I mean you have to really experiment. To learn. You can't just wing it everytime you are at the edge. Really think about the options at hand. And the methods that work against that option. Alot of people like to repeat things, which makes knowing their style worth knowing. So you can counter their style.

You can also space your edge-stall. Down-drop up+B trick is most popular and safe, and usually puts your hit box closer into the stage. GAwes told me that the back drop into Up+B gave you more invincibility frames. But instead, I just believe you up+b way faster doing it that way making the window open for being hit less likely to be targeted. I'm not entirely a pro at frame counting ect. But I read thanks to Magus420 that Zelda can be invincible forever. It's just very very very precise timing. No room for any extra frames to mess up.

Tag
I know it's cool to let everyone know who you are when you wear your tag. But in all honesty it hurts Zelda when she's trying to recover, or do ANY up+B tricks cuz her tag follows her while she is invisible. So just don't wear a tag ever. EVER.

Shield Play:

Aiming your Shield:
A: Covering yoru body:
What usually first comes to mind about aiming your shield is to cover up exposed parts to avoid a shield poke. Light shield will cover your whole body but there are times where you want to have less shield stun from a hit to hopefully punish your opponent. For example, Falco and Fox sometimes enjoy down tilt pokes. If you can call this, you want to aim your heavy shield down to cover your feet, and since down tilt is one of foxes more laggier moves, you can promptly punish him. Same applies to covering your head for a head poke, Like falcon stomping you from a platform above while your shield is low.

B: The Sooner you block the Better:
Aiming your shield at an aerial attack, can increase your chances of punishment out of shield. Why? Well let me give you an example.

Lets say Falcon is falling through the platform, and you're below him. You don't have enough time to uptilt trade. If you aim your shield up at him, He will hit your shield sooner with his one hit attack. He will now have more distance to travel from the point in which he hit your shield to the ground to connect another move. If you had shielded normally w/o aiming it up. He would hit your shield later, than the first scenario, thus meaning he has less time between the ground and the point in which he hit your shield. The earlier he hits your shield, the more time you have to punish him.

Now same goes for horizontal approach. a Fox flying short hop N-air, you'll obviously want to aim the shield left or right more, for the same effect as above. Now you might think "well if I move it left or right, he's still at the same height from the ground no matter which way I aim it. this may be true, and would matter if he was moving only vertically, but he's not his horizontal momentum means his distance from hitting the shield to the ground is now a diagonal from the air to the ground, and you happen to be intercepting it earlier. If he chooses to run up to you stop AT your shield, then proceed to do a normal standing jump-Nair, it does not matter where you aim your shield because he's already in your shield space. if he's doing his attack already in your shield space, he has more control over when he hits your shield than you do.

Shield platform dropping:
If you don't already know, you put up your shield, then aim it forward to down in a circle fashion until you fall through. (You might need to circle a little farther than down to fall through). This is good for trying to punish someone spamming a laggy move from underneath. lets say Marth is right under you, and he shoots an uptilt. If you're fast enough you can shield drop through the platform and perhaps go for a N-air, or just airdodge his 2nd attempt into a grab or something. Because we all know against marth or falcon, that you want to get out from being above them.

Power Shielding:
Magus quote for this section will cover all you need to know:
If you PS a physical hit you can interrupt the shield drop with an A or B attack. If you PS a projectile you can't interrupt the drop with attacks, but since there's no hitlag or shieldstun on PS'd projectiles you can move out of it much sooner with a jump/WD or whatever OoS.

With Zelda it's so easy to PS that I feel there are few projectiles not worth me PSing (obvious ones being like Fox's lasers and Sheik's needles). If they're being used as cover for their approach they can sometimes set up a kick which is nice. One that comes to mind are the Links' bombs which I've gotten quite a few kick combos off of.

The only instant shield drop related property of powershielding is when you PS a physical attack you can cancel the shield directly into an attack without needing to drop it first. Aside from that your options out of shield work the same, so if you just release shield it works the way it normally would.

Guard on takes 8 frames (you still block starting from 1). Peach's guard off takes 14. If you PS a projectile and just release shield you will lag for either 20 or 21 frames before you can dash directly out of it depending on whether you PSed on frame 1 or 2 (physical PS window is 4 frames and the projectile window is 2).

You would be able to complete a WD and then also start a dash in the time it takes to release shield.

Powershield Projectile:
1) 2 frame window
2) No shield damage
3) No shield hitlag
4) No shield pushback
5) No shield stun
6) Reflects the projectile

Powershield Attack:
1) 4 frame window
2) No shield damage
3) Same shield hitlag
4) More shield pushback than full shield
5) Same shield stun as full shield
6) Allows you to cancel the shield dropping animation with an A or B attack

Counters
By counters I mostly mean Priority a good thing to learn is which of your moves beat your opponents move when and at what time? Some moves priority changes as the move continues on. I'll cover most of these when I finally reach Character specific match ups I know alot of info in.

Edgeguard priorities:

I'm only going to cover the High and Mid tier characters for this. Minus the the Ice climbers until someone else gives me their two cents. My Zelda vs Ice Climbers experience is limited. Because I've been going falcon almost every time I get the opportunity.

Fox:
Up+B Higher than the Ledge:
Simply by reflex, if he's close enough jump out and kick him before his Up+B finishes. you can also out space it. Most of the time they sweet spot the ledge so if you can't make it, Kick low at the edge slightly out. But they do have the option to up+B into the middle of the stage, which is a little more risky, but truly rewarding for them if you went for the edge kick. If you miss him immediately get away from the edge and space yourself for when he jumps over. In my opinion Fox has the best options when he is up+B'ing above the edge out of your range/speed to reach him.

Up+B below the ledge:
If you can't reach him in time, you can down air the edge, into a edge cancel chase. But if you can get him in time it's best to run out and kick him. If you whiff your toe and hit him with the weak kick. DI toward where his Up+B would start up again and hit him with your up+B so that you are guaranteed to reach the edge first, Thus giving you ANOTHER edgeguard opportunity for your failure. It's like a free retry.

If you're holding the edge, Drop down and kick him. If he's directly beneath you. You can try to back drop into a kick at the edge, but this is risky, because he could totally wall-tech into a shine or something. I normally just drop down Down-air, Then immediately jump and prepare to down-air his Up+B again with another one. Then proceed to up+B back to the edge. This is far easier to do if you were holding the ledge because you are already facing the right direction for a Up+B vertically back to the stage. But if you are standing, You can down-air the edge. Run off down air, Jump down air again if he meteor cancels. and thanks to Axe(for me anyways) You can turn your Up+B around even if you're facing the wrong way, by slightly tapping toward the edge after your up+b is already heading upward.

but if you can kick them away. That's the best option.

I tend to not want to use Down-tilt against the fox fire. Especially don't try to use the meteor spike part of zelda's thighs to meteor them. Fox fire will beat you almost everytime.
I like the down-air for setups better. I like where it puts them. If they up+B again immediately unless they M2k angle. They are most likely coming over the edge and you can kick them.

Fox illusion Past you:
Down-smash is the best option almost everytime. It's easier to land, and sets them up for a kick the best when they are low%. If you down-smash and they go past you after hit stun. You did down smash a bit too late. I've tried stuff like jab. But down-smash sets up alot better for gimps/ and enough kick back at high % to kill.

DO NOT use nayru's love for illusions, If Fox chose to Up+B at this time his up+b would hit you perfectly in time just as it ends. And thus putting you above him and you don't want to be there. Nayru's love if used for edguarding is best against air dodges, and up+B's pass the stage. or approaches over the edge.

Fox illusion toward the edge:
You can try to down-smash which is good if they don't sweet spot. But this is where I believe the downtilt comes into play. Down tilt can reach out farther and pokes pretty low. I believe you can hit them before they get to the edge with down-tilt and at lower percents they end up below the stage mostly. At higher percents you pop them up. knock them back out if they didn't DI away from ur down-tilt at high%.

Wall jump, Air dodge into stage, and Wall Jump into Forward B:
these can mess up your timings if you are expecting something else. Don't freak out from the wall jump wait for the illusion and proptly apply the above strategies for illusion. If he spot dodges too high, Kick him. If he manages to spot dodge behind you. go for a grab if he's high enough. If he spot dodges in low Down-smash or Nayru's love. Down-smash being the best option if you can nail it everytime. But nayru's love lasts alot longer so if you do it too early, nayru's love can still knock them off.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Ummm... yeah, I remember reading on Sheik boards somewhere that the pivot edgehog was the fastest option to grab the ledge. I think you can do it just by edge canceling your run though, so I don't think the wavedash is necessary.

Zone

Smash Champion
Ummm... yeah, I remember reading on Sheik boards somewhere that the pivot edgehog was the fastest option to grab the ledge. I think you can do it just by edge canceling your run though, so I don't think the wavedash is necessary.
you're talking about the turn around lag on a normal run can heed the same results?
I just always done it that way. I mostly go for the moonwalk, cuz I'm not consistent enough for the a option. I work on it though.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
what's fun is edgecanceling farore's wind to get from one platform to another

works best on stadium and battlefield i find

not sure how useful it is lol

TheLake

Smash Master
This thread is epic i demand updates!

And edgecanceling with faroes wind is the one of the most epic and graceful things in smash

usefulness has no account on epicness

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
I think it's more that... you run at the edge and you cancel the run animation with the "woah, falling off" animation, and then you pivot edgehog, so you don't have to wavedash.

Zone

Smash Champion
This thread is epic i demand updates!

And edgecanceling with faroes wind is the one of the most epic and graceful things in smash.

usefulness has no account on epicness
I plan on either updating with a platform game next, or Methods of shield pokes I use. I'll probably get something about it tomorrow. I'll work on getting video examples of each section perhaps. Make things more easier to understand. Although I think I explain things in words pretty well.

what's fun is edgecanceling farore's wind to get from one platform to another

works best on stadium and battlefield i find

not sure how useful it is lol
If falco players can make it useful with their forward+B, us Zelda players can make it useful with her up+B. It's not something you'd probably use every match. But with a low tier you take everything you got. It's good to get to to the other side of the stage way faster.

I think it's more that... you run at the edge and you cancel the run animation with the "woah, falling off" animation, and then you pivot edgehog, so you don't have to wavedash.
Well I can't base it on "think" (Even though that's what I apparently did) I'll confirm test it when I got the time. Thanks for your input ^^d the more help the better. The wavedash is still necessary for the Moonwalk though. I'll change the info once I test you can do it w/o the wavedash. If I had AR, this would be way easier.

sKatZ

Smash Apprentice
Delay
Remember even if you don't use double jumps to cancel your aerials. Against a more experienced player who is use to fighting Zelda, they generally are afraid of the kick and will hold thier shield long enough so you can fastfall and land it. But they will still take their risk here and there and go for the hit when you jump at them. But as I said Generally you can delay the kick long enough so you can safely l-cancel it into something instead of being stuck in the air after you kick, so they can more easily retaliate. Inexperienced players may just try and hit you when you approach not knowing that simply shielding a jump'd kick nearly gives them a free hit unless zelda's DI'ing away as she kicks. So they tend to just attack you leaving your better option to just kick immediately. It's all relative information. Knowing your options, and what options your opponent tends to lean to. I may have spoken in stereotypes, or speaking too general, but study your opponents. Learn as much as possible from the first match you play whether you win or lose. So next match you are more prepared.[/QUOTE]

i feel like this is the extent of zeldas mindgames, i play a local zelda around here every tourney and i feel it comes down to, shielding then punishing, then i call the delay and hit him first. does zeldas ground game have some untapped potential? i feel like zelda in the air at all leads to riskiness

Zone

Smash Champion
i feel like this is the extent of zeldas mindgames, i play a local zelda around here every tourney and i feel it comes down to, shielding then punishing, then i call the delay and hit him first. does zeldas ground game have some untapped potential? i feel like zelda in the air at all leads to riskiness
EDIT: quote thing seems broken

Her game is generally spacing, and running the hell away. And doing alot of things out of shield. She doesn't have very reliable approaches. But she does have a couple options.

If all your opponent does is just spam kicks. I think that person is set for failure. It gets predictable. Out prioritizing, things out of shield, and excessively good spacing is how zelda has to play the game. Because frankly after an l-cancelled aerial. If your ground move isn't at a safe distance or pushes them back while they are shielded your gonna get punished probably.

Her ground game isn't the best thing in the world, but jab has good priority and nice range. Uptilt has good priority and normally atleast trades hits. Good agaisnt falcon's when you expect a down-air or something. Nayru's love has nice priority and invincibility frames. her dash attack seems to almost always hit or trade hits with the opponent unless it's a disjointed hit box hitting you, or they shield it, or you just completely miss lol.

Grab on the other hand is really hard to make reliable. I mean you can't just never use it. It's hard to explain when you should use it besides of course saying after laggy moves. But if you follow up form your jab with a dash attack which normally is pretty safe unless shielded. (by this i mean they can't attack you after the jab most of the time. The dash attack can follow up pretty fast. ) Since they may shield to avoid the dash attack it's may be a good opportunity to go for the grab. Otherwise just combo into grab if at all possible. Or tech chase with it.

The Zelda you play seems to be a kick spammer. That's a common zelda players choice of habit. And yes if all they do is kick. That delay thing I described tends to be how the fight goes.

So yes she has some ground game. But it's sadly about trying to make your opponent attack first for the most part. And choosing a counter move.

TheLake

Smash Master
Dude someday zeldas are gonna abuse f-tilt **** combos and nair to kick edgeguards.

Until then though we wait....wait for the right time to kick *looks around suspicously*

More tactics to add!

"When to use dins fire!, **** that samus's recovery"
"Gimp on falco you say? Ohh right nyarus love why didnt you just say so?"
"Droping through a platform while Uair'ing then kick the stunned foe amongst the flames?! genious!"

We should also discuss victory dances between stocks to intimidate and or mindgame our foes.

soap

Smash Hero
ledge cancelled upbs are indeed the most graceful thing ive ever seen in this game, its sooooo hard to do consistently though, come on zelda baby slide!!!!!!!!!!! give me more upb tricks!!!!

TheLake

Smash Master
Up b trix?! Heck ya!

Dood so like go to rainbow cruise (A popular CP for zelda fans due to the awsomeness of the stage adding to zeldas already awsomeness instilling fear and awe into its foes) then grab the "***'' of the ship as they say in brooklyn (HYYYYUUUUGH!!) then when the ship reaches the middle of the rainbow drop down then up b diagonally up and left towards the ledge.

You'll grab the ledge and wow lordknight then you can kick him and take another stock. Its pretty awsome if i do say so myself.

Another awsome UP tactic is to waveland off the edge of one of the bottom platforms on dreamland or battlefield then up immideatly onto the edge. Its really adorable.

soap

Smash Hero
holy ****, can sheik make that rainbow cruise thing too? o i could just let go of the ledge, transform into zelda , then do it. seems like a once per match sort of trick though.

soap

Smash Hero
time for soap zelda tricks:

sheik reverse needle transform to zelda bair is too cool

reverse nayrus out of shield. it turns u around so u can start bairing right away if u need to after lag

run off fastfall nayrus turnaround to bair is cool too.

these could be old, but if they are why has nobody told me about them... u selfish *******s

TheLake

Smash Master
video please?

do it in blue.
Dude im theLAKE, blue is what i do (you'll know this soon enough......nonhomo...?)

and soap those trix be doap
Nyraus love ftw

Another glorious tactic on floatys is upsmash to uptilt to fair

Did i share that one already?.....:dizzy:

soap

Smash Hero
no, but keep em coming, that combo sounds too long for zelda to perform.... 3 hits wtf?

does "turn around" in your sig mean that u bair alot, cuz i bair alot....with EVERYBODY

and for christs sake spell nayrus right u r a zelda main for crying out loud

TheLake

Smash Master
fawck you mayyyyen ill spell nayru nyaru or nuyearugh for all i freakin care. when you main zelda you can name whatever da fawck you want so shuut it and respect some show.

and dude bair is my favorite thing in the world. the turn around things a really ingenious joke thingy i have with a friend. but i bair constantly.

dude im telling ya upsmash, to uptilt to fair is FAIRly certain with lousy DI, try it friends.

Another one for the record books is some good ol wholsome **** against some shield grabbing whores is some good ol kick to nyarus love ehmmehmm

Zone

Smash Champion
F-tilt--> dash attack --> Grab --> upthrow --> kick ? >.>

Edit: I don't think I've ever combo'd with Nayru's love in my life. I use it as like a Marth Down+B counter kinda. Keep people from spamming attacks at me at their will.

Omni_Smash

Smash Apprentice
wow, I didn't know Zelda was capable of being cool. :D proved me wrong for the day.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
I skimmed through this thread pretty fast, but in all seriousness; do you have a point about not wearing a tag?

Cause zelda wearing a tag really does hurt the up+b options. >.>

Zone

Smash Champion
I skimmed through this thread pretty fast, but in all seriousness; do you have a point about not wearing a tag?

Cause zelda wearing a tag really does hurt the up+b options. >.>
good Idea to mention that. Thanks I normally expect it to just be something people should know, which is why I forgot to mention it. But I sometimes even forget to remove my tag after switching from fox or something.

Zone

Smash Champion
Added 2 sections into Platform offense, a note about wearing Tags. and Started on my talk about priority which will actually mostly be described when I finally hit character Match ups

Zone

Smash Champion
Hey, I forgot I made this thread almost. So BUMP.

I updated with Edgeguarding a Fox and plan to move down. I also want everyone to be able to put their input. Or correct any wrongs I display. IF you want to contribute I can give you my account information and you can edit my first posts as well.

Also I made this like more than a year ago so uh... There may need to be some updated information.

Like the platform game needs stuff added to it like shield dropping through platforms when marth does an uptilt. to punish him.

Or like how the light shield section needs to mention switching from light shield into heavy shield for spacing, then lastly less shield stun.

EDIT: I would be most honored if LAKE, COSMO, MOW, Especially Magus with any frame data to input/correct things. But if anyone else wants to contribute Feel free to PM me, or post here.

To be honest rereading this crap made me remember stuff i forgot to keep implementing lol.

Cosmo!

nerf zelda's dsmash
Getting to the Edge Faster.

1.)Platform Cancelling:
This always seemed like a gimmick to me, and not useful really

2.)Edgehogging?:
a.)Pivot edge hog:
I think this is way too inconsistent to be used

b.)Moonwalk to edge:
I do this one a lot :) Another less flashy alternative would be dash -> forward WD, tiny dash dance, backward WD. it's good with marth but having to WD twice as zelda kinda sucks which is why I do the moonwalk more often

c.)Farore's Wind:
Agreed, this is too slow, the moonwalk is better. If they are getting close to the edge I wouldn't even try to take the ledge, instead I would do a low kick or dtilt or dsmash depending on the situation.

d.)Not on the base floor
Yea. Either this, or simply turn around and fastfall onto the ledge

Platform Game

Defense
1.) Light Shield
Wave land
Using Platforms as a shield.
I definitely agree with all of this. camping under a platform is great against a lot of chars

Offense
Double Jump platform cancel.
On a stage like battle field you can jump, then immediately use your double jump much like Samus. Zelda will land pretty much perfectly on her feet.
Huh. If I need to land on a platform I usually waveland, this sounds faster than that. sounds useful, I don't think I use this at all right now

Wave landing
yea definitely

*NEWLY ADDED* Forcing them into your uptilt or upsmash.
Yea I like doing this with dsmash at the ledge. I wonder if ftilt might be worth looking into here as well. idk

Spacing
Light shield
This can sometimes get you a shield grab vs space animals that love to spam shine.
lightshield has more shieldstun, which gives you less time to counterattack, so if you want to shieldgrab the only thing you should use is hard shield IMO. lightshield is super useful as a defensive tactic only; offensively it is bad.

also I have a good way to beat weak quick moves when I'm going for a shieldgrab—grab and while you are grabbing, hold DOWN+R and keep tapping A. if you get jabbed before your shieldgrab gets them, youll CC into another shieldgrab. lol you can also use dsmash here as well (start a shieldgrab, hold down on control stick and spam down on C-stick). you beat moves like samus jabs with this

Wavedash - Dash Dance
yea agreed with all this.

Retreating Aerials
yea.

Edge guarding
when they are on the ledge, what I like to do is stand at the right spot and do fsmash a lot. it makes it really hard for them to get on the stage unless they can jump to the platform really fast. I wouldn't use NL for anything like this unless its falco coming on with lasers like you said. I think once I gimped a marth with NL :S

I don't go for the infinite stall cause its frame perfect. instead I try to upB and grab the ledge at exactly the right time to give me enough invincibility to do what I need. staying on the ledge for a long time as zelda with an opponent on the stage isn't a very strong strategy in most cases

Tag
I know it's cool to let everyone know who you are when you wear your tag. But in all honesty it hurts Zelda when she's trying to recover, or do ANY up+B tricks cuz her tag follows her while she is invisible. So just don't wear a tag ever. EVER.
Agreed 100%. it literally makes it so you can't live to higher %s

Against Firefox I have 3 moves: Dsmash, Fsmash, and kick. dair is OK sometimes but if you trade with him (happens to me a lot) then he is going to get back every time. maybe i just need to time it better

Fox illusion toward the edge:
You can try to down-smash which is good if they don't sweet spot. But this is where I believe the downtilt comes into play. Down tilt can reach out farther and pokes pretty low. I believe you can hit them before they get to the edge with down-tilt and at lower percents they end up below the stage mostly. At higher percents you pop them up. knock them back out if they didn't DI away from ur down-tilt at high%.
this is good stuff, agreed totally. dtilt -> dsmash works at higher %s and will destroy fox

Wall jump, Air dodge into stage, and Wall Jump into Forward B:
these can mess up your timings if you are expecting something else. Don't freak out from the wall jump wait for the illusion. If the spot dodge happens and he goes kinda high grab him and throw him back out. If he spot dodges really low to the ground I would Naryu's love him so it stays out long enough to catch him as his airdodge ends to send him back out.
i disagree with this i think -- I wouldn't grab or NL. I think dsmash is the best option against airdodge AND walljump illusion (if they sweetspot you can dtilt and if they go high, kick them.... this is hard to properly react to..).. but yea I think dsmash covers the most options the best

Zone

Smash Champion
his always seemed like a gimmick to me, and not useful really

I think this is way too inconsistent to be used
No, I definitely believe if you tried hard enough to learn the spacing well. You can get good at this. It's just feels really bothersome to do it, because it's alot of work to gain only a small advantage. It's like learning to reposition you fingers and playing a way different way and messing up alot just to learn something that will help your game out very little. I put practice into it, but me landing it while recovering is only like 25% right now, and me doing it in stage is like 40%. If I could get it to 75% consistency atleast I'd be pretty happy.

@2nd part: Yes apparently Pivot grabbing the edge with Zelda is ridiculous hard. I mean I practiced it. But I'm still like not even 10% consistent I gotta try like 18 times to do it once. But knowing the options is half the battle. I mean the little things like that start to be game changing the higher up you get. It may be only a little addition and really hard to do. but if you manage to do all these little things, It adds up.

Huh. If I need to land on a platform I usually waveland, this sounds faster than that. sounds useful, I don't think I use this at all right now
Waveland is the better option if you need to chase a roll. the double jump thing is useful for landing a kick on them and instantly being able to l-cancel it as you rise, rather than waiting to fall. Test it out you'll see. Also works for any other aerials, just kicks seem to be the most useful.

lightshield has more shieldstun, which gives you less time to counterattack, so if you want to shieldgrab the only thing you should use is hard shield IMO. lightshield is super useful as a defensive tactic only; offensively it is bad.
Yes I mentioned in a post before yours That needed to be fixed. You need to change to hardshield just before you want to grab. And I don't mean you should be grabbing people if they have a long range options. Shield grabbing a fox/falco won't work EVER unless it's really just a powershield their projectile into grab(Falco) or you grab their dash attacks and smash attacks. But what I mean is if you get someone who shines after aerials almost every time. You can gain distance and their shine will WHIFF you completely and you can grab them before they can jump cancel out of it. It's precise spacing/timing. And doesn't work if they start choosing to jab after their aerials ect ect. Only works if you're expecting them to shine after an aerial regardless of how.

But yes this option is a bit way to hard to apply. Probably not worth the effort considering it's completely negate-able by jabs. and if they do jab you and you guessed shine, Well you probably gave them a free upsmash too. But you can still do other options with light shield like you say, Just grabbing shine like I said in the past is not very practical.

also I have a good way to beat weak quick moves when I'm going for a shieldgrab—grab and while you are grabbing, hold DOWN+R and keep tapping A. if you get jabbed before your shieldgrab gets them, youll CC into another shieldgrab. lol you can also use dsmash here as well (start a shieldgrab, hold down on control stick and spam down on C-stick). you beat moves like samus jabs with this
Thanks for mentioning this I almost completely forgot about this. I use to use C-stick to crouch cancel my tilts. I'll add this to the first post. Crouch canceling while applying a move to cover more options.

when they are on the ledge, what I like to do is stand at the right spot and do fsmash a lot. it makes it really hard for them to get on the stage unless they can jump to the platform really fast. I wouldn't use NL for anything like this unless its falco coming on with lasers like you said. I think once I gimped a marth with NL :S
I'm not a fan of F-smash although I throw it out from pivots and such. like When you dash attack a fox at 0% you can't grab them before they hit the ground, so i'll pivot into a wait for their tech f-tilt or f-smash. Normally I go for f-tilt but sometimes I mess up and do f-smash haha, F-tilt is more rewarding, if you land it.

But the reason I'm not a fan of F-smash is because all the pple who play me ALOT, Smash DI like Gods. and I fail my F-smash alot. or get punished for it. I've F-smashed a falco before and got shined for it. It's good to use against most people because most people don't know you can even Smash DI it, or if they do know you can, They don't know what direction to hold.

This is why Zelda is hard because you need to play SO DIFFERENTLY when you're playing against friends who know how Zelda works vs Playing a stranger who's pretty good. Things that work for one scenario FAIL for the other. and Vice versa.

I don't go for the infinite stall cause its frame perfect. instead I try to upB and grab the ledge at exactly the right time to give me enough invincibility to do what I need. staying on the ledge for a long time as zelda with an opponent on the stage isn't a very strong strategy in most cases.
It's actually not as hard as it sounds. I know you gotta be like not even 1 frame off. But Have a friend be fox on Jungle japes and shoot lasers are you while you spam edgestall. If Samus's can spam Super wavedash which takes 2 1 frame inputs I believe. I think Zelda can pull off a invincible stall a little easier. But you're right about just waiting to refresh it before they get to you. Because, If you just spam it, They have times where they can steal the ledge from you lol. or if you mess up why risk messing up if you can just wait to refresh it. But to be fair I've gotten alot of advantages on pple for combo'ing out of up+ledge stalls when they come back from being K.O.'d cuz I'm stalling waiting for it to wear. I end up getting a up+B into tech chased kick. Or Up+B grab edge, jump in N-air(Depends on where they go this move is so random O.O), Grab back throw.

I have taken massive damage before, because someone stole the ledge while I was doing it. If you can call it and stop it just in time. You can make them fall below the edge and need to jump. Then re-do it for edgeguard opportunities. Very high risk game though. Probably only worth doing it if you're behind.

Against Firefox I have 3 moves: Dsmash, Fsmash, and kick. dair is OK sometimes but if you trade with him (happens to me a lot) then he is going to get back every time. maybe i just need to time it better.
Kind of forgot F-smash beats Fire fox if it's coming at you. Because mainly I don't use F-smash for it anymore I nayru's love or kick them. Simply because of scared of loss of opportunity cuz of smash DI.

You can definitely hit them with Down-air w/o taking any damage easily. Almost as easy as it is to kick them out of it. It's just awkward cuz it's coming from below.

i disagree with this i think -- I wouldn't grab or NL. I think dsmash is the best option against airdodge AND walljump illusion (if they sweetspot you can dtilt and if they go high, kick them.... this is hard to properly react to..).. but yea I think dsmash covers the most options the best
Depends on fox's placement I suppose. only reason I use nayru's love for a low air dodge, is because I feel like it's a better guarantee to get off than down-smash because of how long it lasts. but yeah if you time Down-smash perfectly everytime it's definitely just as good if not better. As long as you're knocking them back off right :D.

By the way, I think grab is a better option if he manages to get behind you witht he air dodge, see as how you want him back off the edge. And kicking him or down-smashing him would send him toward the opposite edge, possibly actually giving him full control again. That's what I ment by grab. Cuz zelda's back throw is pretty strong (Knock back wise)

EDITING first posts with a few things

EDIT thanks for your input Cosmos, Please add your own tricks if you got any.

Magus420

Smash Master
If her pivot edgehog is anything like CF's in difficulty, it's impossible to do reliably no matter how perfect your timing is since whether it's even possible depends on exactly where the dash started and is on too small a scale to get the right spacing when you want (one position might allow you to fall off when pivoting on the frame before falling off, while being a pixel away would have you not fall off with the pivot on the frame before falling off).

Zone needs some of that v1.0

Zone

Smash Champion
If her pivot edgehog is anything like CF's in difficulty, it's impossible to do reliably no matter how perfect your timing is since whether it's even possible depends on exactly where the dash started and is on too small a scale to get the right spacing when you want (one position might allow you to fall off when pivoting on the frame before falling off, while being a pixel away would have you not fall off with the pivot on the frame before falling off).

Zone needs some of that v1.0
Ah, ok thanks for the input Magus. And I use to own a 1.0... But I gave it away to my little cousin in korea >.>;; this is before I did anything with Zelda though.

No wonder why Me practicing it for a very very long time... I only got it like one out of 18-20 tries lol. I'll leave it up there in the first post but I'll make a note that it's near impossible to do consistently.

D

Deleted member

I don't know any of Zelda's frame data. All I know is how to win with her.

TheLake

Smash Master
I just realized

that epsilon is espeon

and umbreon is well....

if this was done on purpose

kudos

if it wasnt

there maybe hope for zelda yet! :D

Top Bottom