• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda Social Thread

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
nice. Yea I use borrowed stuff from SCG members. I had to learn everything myself as well. That's why our stream looks all booty lol. It helps to have good players or it wouldn't be appealing. Good job on targeting the new players. Always good to make them feel welcome.

4tlas

Smash Lord
nice. Yea I use borrowed stuff from SCG members. I had to learn everything myself as well. That's why our stream looks all booty lol. It helps to have good players or it wouldn't be appealing. Good job on targeting the new players. Always good to make them feel welcome.
My actual job involves teaching kids, and my roles in all school clubs have always been about coordinating/entertaining newer members. Its just kinda what I do.

How many participants do you usually get? Usually I have to deal with 40-50, but when it gets above 60 I start running around like a chicken with its head cut off. Doesn't help that I'm relatively new compared to most so they don't listen to me as much as they should and that we run a Melee bracket concurrently...

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
I definitely do not get that many. We are too spread out. I usually run about 22 people per event during weeklies. then about 3-40 for monthlies

our regionals get about 50-70 tho.

4tlas

Smash Lord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwi3HuChZlY

This is the first time I've been on stream since 3.5 came out. I made some good plays, but overall I think I played poorly. I won't bother posting any of my other stream matches since they were all 3.02, but you can search for them on youtube if you're interested.

Comments? Please don't be too harsh, I know I suck already lol

Kaeldiar

Smash Ace
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwi3HuChZlY

This is the first time I've been on stream since 3.5 came out. I made some good plays, but overall I think I played poorly. I won't bother posting any of my other stream matches since they were all 3.02, but you can search for them on youtube if you're interested.

Comments? Please don't be too harsh, I know I suck already lol
Overall, not bad. Good use of Din's and telecancel. You got caught using the same things a few times, and sometimes picked a sub-optimal option, but not bad.

You use dash attack a little too much. There were times when a grab, aerial, or tilt could've served you better. Teleporting down to the stage to escape juggling is not as great an option as we all want it to be, especially against Link. Air dodging down is sometimes a good mix-up, but not as your normal go-to unless you're close to waveland. I'm sure there's more I could pull out if I looked a little longer, but here's a start.

4tlas

Smash Lord
Overall, not bad. Good use of Din's and telecancel. You got caught using the same things a few times, and sometimes picked a sub-optimal option, but not bad.

You use dash attack a little too much. There were times when a grab, aerial, or tilt could've served you better. Teleporting down to the stage to escape juggling is not as great an option as we all want it to be, especially against Link. Air dodging down is sometimes a good mix-up, but not as your normal go-to unless you're close to waveland. I'm sure there's more I could pull out if I looked a little longer, but here's a start.
I did some experiments in this game and I'm not sure they were a good idea, but people in the audience freaked out so #worth. 3 things I did that I wouldn't normally do were 1) try to punish spin attack with a lightning stomp (I screwed up the short hop and ended up whiffing the punish), 2) end a combo string with a lightning stomp instead of lightning kick, and 3) try to edgeguard Link with lightning stomp (just plain stupid of me). Basically I'm bad with lightning stomp and I wanted to see if I could do some things with it.

I'm not very technical at all as you can probably tell, and several of those dash attacks were missed tilts, and an upsmash or 2 were supposed to be short hop lightning kicks (tap jump OP). My control stick feels like its degraded starting about a week ago, so idk. Maybe its just me, but maybe I need a new controller.

I think the thing I am most concerned about was that staying Sheik for that one stock (also experimental and decided spontaneously) was detrimental. I know my Zelda is better than my Sheik but I still want to play both and I'll never get better as Sheik if I don't play. Opinions on that?

BlackMamba

Smash Apprentice
I did some experiments in this game and I'm not sure they were a good idea, but people in the audience freaked out so #worth. 3 things I did that I wouldn't normally do were 1) try to punish spin attack with a lightning stomp (I screwed up the short hop and ended up whiffing the punish), 2) end a combo string with a lightning stomp instead of lightning kick, and 3) try to edgeguard Link with lightning stomp (just plain stupid of me). Basically I'm bad with lightning stomp and I wanted to see if I could do some things with it.

I'm not very technical at all as you can probably tell, and several of those dash attacks were missed tilts, and an upsmash or 2 were supposed to be short hop lightning kicks (tap jump OP). My control stick feels like its degraded starting about a week ago, so idk. Maybe its just me, but maybe I need a new controller.

I think the thing I am most concerned about was that staying Sheik for that one stock (also experimental and decided spontaneously) was detrimental. I know my Zelda is better than my Sheik but I still want to play both and I'll never get better as Sheik if I don't play. Opinions on that?
Hey there! (long response coming up, I hope you find it helpful) So I've actually worked specifically on two of the things you tried during this set (utilizing sheik and using Zelda's dair effectively) and gotten pretty good with them so I can give you a tip. Basically, don't ever try challenging someone with the stomp when you're trying to get down (even if you sweetspot, there's a good chance you'll trade with the opponents antiair, which for a light floaty like zelda is often deadly). When you're it for edge guarding, you have a couple options. The hitbox can actually reach slightly beneath the stage when you're on it, so if you have good timing you can short hop, stomp from onstage and meteor your opponent when they're trying to recover from below. Then of course you can go offstage, but zelda has so many good edge guarding tools that the only time this is really worthwhile is 1) if the opponents recovery doesn't have great priority and you feel like you can time/land the sweetspot (e.g. fox and falco) or 2) you scare a sword character into up-bing early with an empty jump, then fastfall stomp during the hang time before they grab the ledge. I don't know if sweetspotting the dair is an issue you have (it was for me for sure) but if you are, it's probably because you're doing it too close to the opponent. The sweetspot is just below her foot, not on the foot itself. Also, you HAVE to l-cancel when using this move cuz the landing lag is awful

Now I'll just watch the set and point things out as I go :p
(P.S. Sorry you had to do this, the Link matchup is not the best thing in the world haha)
@0:40 abuse zelda's nair; when there's so little space between you and the opponent attempting a lightning kick is pointless and also quite punishable
@2:44 yeah don't try teleporting away when the opponent is that close to you and has a jump, the startup is just too long. In that situation you could have airdodged straight down and possibly had time to kill with up tilt. Also, a word on the sheik thing here; a good time to switch to sheik from zelda is when zelda gets knocked up into the air and is tumbling (around 60-80 percent). At those percentages, sheik isn't susceptible to the combos that she gets caught in at lower percentages. Also, you get much more vertical survivability. Sheik has an easier time in the link matchup because her superior agility lets her maneuver around his projectiles and she can combo link quite well (then, so can zelda). Plus she can just needle or jump out and nair for easier edeguards against his sword. With Sheik just get comfortable linking together her tilts (she can combo almost everyone) and gimping with needles/aerials. Also, enjoy her crouch cancel (it's waaaay better than zelda's). When recovering with her, fair or hair back toward the stage before consuming your double jump and using the up-B to get extra distance since her up-B has less range than zelda's). Also, probably a good idea to switch back to zelda as soon as you respawn (or when you're at a place where you know you can't recover with sheik so you start your next stock as zelda)
@3:13 another instance where a lightning kick had no chance of sweetspotting. An upair would have killed a thousand times over (fun fact: her sweetspotted upair can kill fox at around 75% near the top of the map. It's that strong)
@6:45 I know the urge to get someone off you with back throw can be strong, but against heavies who will survive it it's often not the best option. around 80ish percent a good kill option against many fastfallers is upthrow to upair (no one ever expects it so they usually DI badly). Just be aware of the platform placement because you upthrew him a few times and it didn't lead to much cuz he landed on the middle platform even downthrow might be a better option just to build up damage even if they DI away and prevent you from getting a followup. Also, against projectile spammers like Link, land cancelled naryu's is a great approach option.

Alright I know that was stupidly long but I really hope some of that was helpful haha

Rizner

Smash Ace

Disclaimer: I have not watched the videos.

Lightning stomp is always fun to connect with but not often the best choice (like during edgeguards). I often go for it because I'm having fun during a set, and I want it. Have lost tournament sets b/c of it, but always worth when it connects. But yeah, not great to use all the time, and I think it's best when used as a mixup to short hop kick approaches when people start spot dodging or shielding or something, to full hop dair. It's good times.

New controllers help sooo much when coming from a bad one.

If you want to get good with another character (shiek), you'll have to use her in real sets. Do money matches and try it out. Do some tournament stocks if you want to learn the matchup. Do friendlies. As long as when you play her you're actually paying attention and getting better, sometimes it's worth a loss if that's a direction you want to go. You just gotta decide what you want out of the game and put in the time/effort with both characters if you want them both to be good.

Hopefully helpful?

EpicCupcakez

Smash Rookie
NNID
EpicCupcakes
3DS FC
0018-1627-8120
Too lazy to read 22 pages worth of content...
Who likes 3.5 Zelda, why or why not?

4tlas

Smash Lord
Welcome to the forums BlackMamba! Thanks for the insight. I'll watch for those exact moments again. I can't really respond to your points without seeing exactly what you're referring to, but the only thing I can say is that I have been going for the old supersweetspot too much, since due to the hitbox changes I more likely just flub. As I get used to that change I will not LK in such close quarters as much. Of course what you are describing may not be that at all, but I just wanted to get that out there.

Edit: I watched and looked for the specific things you mentioned.

1) Yeah those poor sweetspots on LK were due to me trying for the old supersweetspot. I'll get used to it eventually.

2) The upB that got caught for a stock was intended to be a huge momentum shift teleport. I should consider airdodge in the future. It is definitely something I never do, as I grew up on smash64.

3) Normally I would upthrow. I think I panic bthrow'd like you said, due to the stress of having been bullied all match. I think the big problem was that I was on Battlefield-like stages for both games, making upthrows difficult to convert off of. What I need to do is predict the tech/non-tech and LK at the correct time.

Thank you so much for the timestamps. It helps a lot to see an example of your point and allows me to better understand exactly what parts I already knew and agree with and what parts I need to reassess and change.

Last edited:

BlackMamba

Smash Apprentice
Welcome to the forums BlackMamba! Thanks for the insight. I'll watch for those exact moments again. I can't really respond to your points without seeing exactly what you're referring to, but the only thing I can say is that I have been going for the old supersweetspot too much, since due to the hitbox changes I more likely just flub. As I get used to that change I will not LK in such close quarters as much. Of course what you are describing may not be that at all, but I just wanted to get that out there.

Edit: I watched and looked for the specific things you mentioned.

1) Yeah those poor sweetspots on LK were due to me trying for the old supersweetspot. I'll get used to it eventually.

2) The upB that got caught for a stock was intended to be a huge momentum shift teleport. I should consider airdodge in the future. It is definitely something I never do, as I grew up on smash64.

3) Normally I would upthrow. I think I panic bthrow'd like you said, due to the stress of having been bullied all match. I think the big problem was that I was on Battlefield-like stages for both games, making upthrows difficult to convert off of. What I need to do is predict the tech/non-tech and LK at the correct time.

Thank you so much for the timestamps. It helps a lot to see an example of your point and allows me to better understand exactly what parts I already knew and agree with and what parts I need to reassess and change.
Glad I could help, and thanks for the welcome :)

Rizner

Smash Ace
Hi. I do not, because I don't like the new mechanics from a design/idea standpoint as far as their concept, reason for being changed at all, and how they ended up - most notably dins and the way up-b cancels work.

What about you?

Downdraft

Smash Ace
3.5 Zelda isn't as exciting to watch or play as 3.02 Zelda, but it is my understanding that her changes partially were to make her less annoying to play against. I'm not sure if people are accepting her more in 3.5, but the changes haven't really affected my game since my Zelda was moderate at best, i.e. I did not use traps, was unable to have much success with her in high level play, did not understand several matchups, did not practice against several others, etc. I play the game competitively, but I feel like I haven't improved much in the past several months or so.

tl;dr 3.5 Zelda is fine with me. I never felt like I was missing anything while playing her.

otheusrex

Smash Journeyman
I agree with rizner about dins; although it's super useful, i still hate it because I think it's a dumb idea. I don't understand why they had to do that to our character. it was obviously ported from Soul Calibur and it has nothing to do with Zelda. I think that complete redesigns of specials should at least be inspired by canon.

I like telecancel though. I think it's a smart idea. But I also think when you hit B she should reappear the frame after, not continue to move and be invisible for 2 frames and then reappear. Also, they should make the disappearence timing the same in the air as on the ground.

About whether 3.5 zelda is more or less annoying I'd say both. She took a really hard hit to her escape game with the loss of love jump, diamond dive, AND invincibility on aerial nayrus, but on the other hand her dins can be quite the little troll, especially with the camera. I don't understand why more people aren't complaining about Dins actually, and I mean opponents who have to fight against it.

My combo game hasn't suffered in 3.5 though, and the only change I feel strongly in the positive is the speed of new dins, if that's all

Luis Alonso

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I got to start learning Zelda shortly before the changes implemented at 3.5 came to light. I wasn't able to get used to speed of 3.02's Din's Fire nor a quick change in trajectory by merely holding up or down on the control stick. I'm sure that if I did get used to them, I would use them to their utmost potential, but then 3.5 came out.

I really liked the changes to Zelda's Din's Fire. Since I was more or less transitioning from Smash 4 (3DS) Zelda, the process was as smooth as diamonds and I was able to quickly adapt to the changes. I've often gotten comments on how effective I am at Din's placement in the map, as well as the utility of the boomerang effect.

I still have a long way to go before I truly master Zelda. But I want to create my own style for her, not just simply follow the mold. I want her to be my own, an extension of who I am when I play Smash. So I guess the better I get with her, the better I become as a person (though that may be a hyperbole :p)

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
3.0 holds a place in my heart but my plasy style has been improved with this new version of her.

Downdraft

Smash Ace
I agree with rizner about dins; although it's super useful, i still hate it because I think it's a dumb idea. I don't understand why they had to do that to our character. it was obviously ported from Soul Calibur and it has nothing to do with Zelda. I think that complete redesigns of specials should at least be inspired by canon.

About whether 3.5 zelda is more or less annoying I'd say both. She took a really hard hit to her escape game with the loss of love jump, diamond dive, AND invincibility on aerial nayrus, but on the other hand her dins can be quite the little troll, especially with the camera. I don't understand why more people aren't complaining about Dins actually, and I mean opponents who have to fight against it.

My combo game hasn't suffered in 3.5 though, and the only change I feel strongly in the positive is the speed of new dins, if that's all
The canonical Din's Fire would leave Zelda open to extreme punishment, so perhaps it's good they didn't copy OoT.

Yes, I miss that escape game. It was punishable, so it's not like it was detrimental to the game or OP.

Regarding combos, do the increased SDI multipliers not affect the reliability of her multi-hit attacks?

One bad change that we can both agree on is the change to the reversibility of Nayru's Love, which I saw you mention in the other thread. The direction the opponent will be sent is unpredictable, but a LC Nayru allows followups if you react quick enough. On another note, why can't Nayru's animation match the size of its hitboxes? The top and bottom of the diamond still do not hit opponents? What is the purpose of having an inaccurate visual representation of an attack?
Because it's not as good. It's more annoying, certainly, but it's not as good.
I haven't thought this through much, but I believe the new Din's is better for low and mid-level Zelda play. 2.6b/3.02 Din's required much more skill to use effectively but needed to be mastered in order to master Zelda. Gone are the formations and stage control, but you can still combo off the Din's. Basically, old Din's was much harder to use. Few players would actually unlock its full potential, so was there really a need to change it?
Personally, I got to start learning Zelda shortly before the changes implemented at 3.5 came to light. I wasn't able to get used to speed of 3.02's Din's Fire nor a quick change in trajectory by merely holding up or down on the control stick. I'm sure that if I did get used to them, I would use them to their utmost potential, but then 3.5 came out.

I really liked the changes to Zelda's Din's Fire. Since I was more or less transitioning from Smash 4 (3DS) Zelda, the process was as smooth as diamonds and I was able to quickly adapt to the changes. I've often gotten comments on how effective I am at Din's placement in the map, as well as the utility of the boomerang effect.

I still have a long way to go before I truly master Zelda. But I want to create my own style for her, not just simply follow the mold. I want her to be my own, an extension of who I am when I play Smash. So I guess the better I get with her, the better I become as a person (though that may be a hyperbole :p)
:laugh: Good luck. By the way, there isn't a "mold" for Zelda. I don't know two Zelda mains that are alike.
3.0 holds a place in my heart but my play style has been improved with this new version of her.
I didn't feel very disappointed when I tried 3.5 Zelda for the first time, but I don't have your experience or intelligence with Project M either, so that could explain it. Drastic changes affect the players that made the most of the original data more than anyone else. I do not believe I was particularly good at any aspect of Zelda's moveset; therefore, the changes had little effect on me.

4tlas

Smash Lord
As a player, I far preferred 3.0 and earlier Din's Fire. Zelda's theme is being wise and graceful, and Zelda games are about solving puzzles and advancing your character's strength over the course of the game. 3.0 Dins set up a puzzle for the opponent (as well as setting it up being a puzzle itself), and the stage control slowly shifting in Zelda's favor or Zelda's opponent circumnavigating the traps to gain a strong position are both great feelings. The sheer number of possibilities of using the traps for mindgames enthralled me, and my opponents and I all appreciated that once the trap was set it was predictable.

New dins hits more often but does less each time, the shift in camera position as well as Din location confuses and irritates players, and the combination of a return projectile with the max limit of one din means that opponents are encouraged to outcamp this move rather than approach before Zelda can wall them out (or better, slowly advance the wall to shove them off the stage).

Its still way better than vanilla Dins. I just loved 3.0 Dins so much more that I hate it in comparison. Also I really really miss supersweetspots on lightning kicks, especially because I often get a flub when I used to get the supersweetspot. =(

Downdraft

Smash Ace
As a player, I far preferred 3.0 and earlier Din's Fire. Zelda's theme is being wise and graceful, and Zelda games are about solving puzzles and advancing your character's strength over the course of the game. 3.0 Dins set up a puzzle for the opponent (as well as setting it up being a puzzle itself), and the stage control slowly shifting in Zelda's favor or Zelda's opponent circumnavigating the traps to gain a strong position are both great feelings. The sheer number of possibilities of using the traps for mindgames enthralled me, and my opponents and I all appreciated that once the trap was set it was predictable.

New dins hits more often but does less each time, the shift in camera position as well as Din location confuses and irritates players, and the combination of a return projectile with the max limit of one din means that opponents are encouraged to outcamp this move rather than approach before Zelda can wall them out (or better, slowly advance the wall to shove them off the stage).

Its still way better than vanilla Dins. I just loved 3.0 Dins so much more that I hate it in comparison. Also I really really miss supersweetspots on lightning kicks, especially because I often get a flub when I used to get the supersweetspot. =(
That's basically the gist of my comment. 2.6/3.0 Din's were more complex. For those who could use them skillfully, the attack reaped great rewards and was fun. For most Zelda players, I'd imagine that 3.0 Din's was nothing special. On that note, 3.5 isn't all that special either, so the transition wasn't much of an upgrade or downgrade.

I played with the Zelda Skype group and realized that 3.02 Zelda's kill power seemed a bit extreme. The nerfs to the kicks are completely justifiable. Only thing I miss about the super sweetspot is the sound effect that now can only be achieved by landing meteor heel on an aerial opponent.

Everyone's entitled to an opinion though, and I'm not trying to make one side out to be right or wrong.
I can understand how the better or more creative players are frustrated with Zelda's changes; their opinions deserve representation, but unfortunately 3.0 Zelda seemed to be a heavily disliked character and there seemed to be few "public" Zelda players that demonstrated the ability to apply the tools that were removed or modified significantly in 3.5.

Perhaps if there had been evidence that a lot of Zelda players made great use of 3.0 Din's Fire, telecanceling, etc. then the developers may have been more reluctant to change her. This time around if we find things we like, perhaps we should help develop other Zelda players so it is known that more than a special few can actually use the tools that may potentially be nerfed.

Arcalyth

GLS | root
I just want to post a little more on my progress with 3.5 Zelda.

My biggest problem thus far is with her teledashing. Getting around platforms, despite my practice, is still exceedingly difficult given how punishable a teleport mistake is now. Like Magus said, it's significatly more endlag than a flubbed airdodge and I don't believe that the rewards of moving quickly around the stage with teleport is worth the risk of eating all that lag. I might as well always just use teleburn because at least I'll have coverage on that endlag.

Nayrus is pretty cool now. You can get a horizontal boost out of hitstun similar to Love Jump. I call it Love Slide. :)

Strating to get consistent with how Dins moves but not enough to really break it down into a set of discrete formations. but I'll get back to you guys on that later for the sake of trying to spread knowledge :)

Kaeldiar

Smash Ace
I just want to post a little more on my progress with 3.5 Zelda.

My biggest problem thus far is with her teledashing. Getting around platforms, despite my practice, is still exceedingly difficult given how punishable a teleport mistake is now. Like Magus said, it's significatly more endlag than a flubbed airdodge and I don't believe that the rewards of moving quickly around the stage with teleport is worth the risk of eating all that lag. I might as well always just use teleburn because at least I'll have coverage on that endlag.

Nayrus is pretty cool now. You can get a horizontal boost out of hitstun similar to Love Jump. I call it Love Slide. :)

Strating to get consistent with how Dins moves but not enough to really break it down into a set of discrete formations. but I'll get back to you guys on that later for the sake of trying to spread knowledge :)
That's awesome! Glad to hear you're making progress! I put in some serious work with Zelda at my last tourney. 3 upsets and actually put some pressure on Redd (got him to 2-stocks and 100+%). Missed out on playing Junebug, so I guess that'll have to wait for another time :/ Telecancel to platforms is a really good option when you can get it. I set time to infinite (so I can practice w/o CPUs), go to WW and BF, lock the camera so I can see the whole stage, and just practice that way. It's a trick you'll definitely want to pick up, especially for recovering. It gives you a much faster option when recovering!

Zhime already penned the Nayru's boost as Nayru's Glide. He was fiddling with it on stream a couple hours after launch ;)

Din's has been tricky for me. I'm getting a small feel for what positions are better/worse to place a Din's, but I feel that I luck into punishes more than anything else. Of course, I'm getting better at capitalizing on them and reacting on the fly, but I don't quite feel that I have full control of them like I did with the old Din's

Downdraft

Smash Ace
Din's has been tricky for me. I'm getting a small feel for what positions are better/worse to place a Din's, but I feel that I luck into punishes more than anything else. Of course, I'm getting better at capitalizing on them and reacting on the fly, but I don't quite feel that I have full control of them like I did with the old Din's
I wouldn't call it tricky, but I too feel that I luck into punishes more than anything else. Where my experiences differ are the control aspect; I feel that the new Din's is easier to maneuver especially when it slows down. One thing I miss about the old Din's is the ability to manipulate my opponent's movements and the ability to set them up to cover my approach.

Teledashing and Din's take a back seat to Nayru's changes for me personally. As I've emphasized, I enjoy the new Zelda and am alright with the changes. Land-canceled Nayru's is not as good of an option with its lack of invincibility frames, and we all feel the miss of Love Jumping, Fast Fall Nayru's, or Diamond Diving. I have not practiced Nayru's Glide, but from what I've read and seen, I'd imagine that it is not an equal substitute since there are fewer directions in which one can travel. Furthermore, there's the issue of not knowing which direction the opponent will be sent flying out of land-canceled Nayru's, which makes following up a little more difficult.

Overall, I'd say that Zelda has to work more for wins now, but can't the same be said for many other characters in the transition? It's not a bad thing that she takes more skill and thinking now. After gaining the skills and mental abilities to succeed with 3.5 Zelda, I'd imagine that one's victories would feel more rewarding than ever before because he/she overcame the adversity of adjusting to Zelda's numerous changes and was able to demonstrate more skill than was necessary in previous iterations. There were things with 3.02 Zelda that you didn't have to think about doing. Mindless and automatic actions probably do more to stunt one's growth than to further it, so perhaps it's nice that Zelda players have to slow down in their heads a little more instead of actions like D-Throw -> Bair or using Nayru's momentum tricks to automatically escape combos.

Last edited:

Prynne

Smash Apprentice
I think that Din's works as an excellent tech chasing option now, and is not to bad to just have out for the hell of it, as it does not impede you and can in fact help in a tricky situation. Other than that it's meh, but the speediness of it helps in between conversions rather than before them, which, on paper, makes Zelda's combo game harder to start but easier to continue. The little hits with Din's do add up over time, although the general control Zelda has over the stage and her opponents' options is severely lacking. I'm sure there are some better ways to use it that I'm actually going to try to uncover over time. The orbiting thing, although useful, might prove to be a little bit tedious to pull off in a match, but I've seen people do it no problem, so it's probably just me. All in all, I'm not going to pretend to know things that I clearly do not, so until then "further testing is needed."

Anyone else find kicks to be lacking in areas of both A) available spacing options and B) general power and angle?

4tlas

Smash Lord
She feels more braindead with new Dins, in my opinion. Though having only 1 Din forces you to choose only 1 place to use it, because of how fast it is you can use it 'right the **** now' instead of having to predict and plan. Besides, it was so slow to place before that if the opponent rushed you properly you could only get 1 Din which is just as strategic as new 1 Din. Furthermore, the return wisp rewards you for placing the Din in a place where it doesn't get clanked, leading to 'I dont care where I put it, it either zones them now or later'. It takes so long for return Din to help that everyone has forgotten about it and noone should plan around it. Even then it isn't guaranteed to even return to you.

Essentially, there are a bunch of choices to make, all a part of opportunity cost. Old and New Dins have similar choices to make. The only difference is that New Dins is so quick to put out and the return doesn't care about the positioning that the option of '**** it why not place a Dins ANYWHERE' is a legitimate one. And that is braindead.

Also I didn't use Nayru's for any of the momentum stuff. Just invuln, counterattacks, and reflection, and occasionally as an approach. I don't miss it, but I can understand someone else liking it.

Downdraft

Smash Ace
@ 4tlas 4tlas : I understand your argument.

On a matter unrelated to this topic, would someone provide feedback on my set with Reflex that I posted in the video thread? I haven't played a human Dedede in quite a while, and I have not learned the Ivysaur matchup.

Last edited:

4tlas

Smash Lord
@ 4tlas 4tlas : I understand your argument.

On a matter unrelated to this topic, would someone provide feedback on my set with Reflex that I posted in the video thread? I haven't played a human Dedede in quite a while, and I have not learned the Ivysaur matchup.
I didn't even notice it got updated. I'll go look. I'll give feedback there I guess.

Prynne

Smash Apprentice
@ Prynne Prynne : Could you explain how you feel about the kicks? They're still powerful and fast, so I don't understand your concern.
The back air is a Sakurai angle, which is problematic. The spacing on the kicks is extremely similar to Melee, but I also would attempt to go deep for the critical, so I feel like the option for the critical should still be there as it does nothing but disadvantage you, preventing optimal spacing, and allows one to go deeper for the hit if desired. But I digress. Truth is I've had trouble landing kicks in some scenarios where I feel like they should have landed, but ultimately they did not.

Kaeldiar

Smash Ace
The back air is a Sakurai angle, which is problematic. The spacing on the kicks is extremely similar to Melee, but I also would attempt to go deep for the critical, so I feel like the option for the critical should still be there as it does nothing but disadvantage you, preventing optimal spacing, and allows one to go deeper for the hit if desired. But I digress. Truth is I've had trouble landing kicks in some scenarios where I feel like they should have landed, but ultimately they did not.
There are times when you would've gotten a critical in 3.02, but you'll get a flub in 3.5 :/ So you have to just think "tipper" now. I don't really like this mentality, because I thought adding more reward for more risk was a great idea (also Brawl kicks were MMMMM), but it's certainly not on my "must fix" list for a future update.

I don't remember the angles on the critical kicks in 3.02, but I think they were lower. If someone has that info, PLEASE let me know, because it's been driving me nuts. Also yeah, good DI on a Sakurai angle makes killing with b-air frustratingly difficult

otheusrex

Smash Journeyman
I'm 90% sure off the top of my head that bairs have been sakurai angle for the last 4 builds at least. That's why bairs have more KB than fairs actually, to compensate for them being inherently less potent.

I've already said it, but I'll say it again that I don't see any reason to now change the spacing of her kicks, which in Pm has always included brawl spacing. I don't see the need to remove criticals, but it's a valid argument to be made so I can accept that, but it wouldn't hurt anything to keep the critical hitbox and just make it have the same reward and effects as the other sweetspot.

Last edited:

Luis Alonso

Smash Journeyman
I'd disagree with the whole idea that 3.5 Din's is braindead. I feel that its far from it.

Since there can only be one Din's at any time, knowing when to release and when not to is pivotal in the battle. For instance, if you've been launched and you want to cover your recovery, but you already have a Din's out, that will be a major detriment against you and could potentially result in a KO.

Also, getting hit while your Din's is returning causes it to fall out of tangent. In that moment, deciding if you should bring your Din's back to you or to allow it to exit the blast zone can make or break the moment. It's possible that returning the Din's from its missed tangent can lead to new combos from the unsuspected enemy. Or the enemy could take advantage of your momentary inability.

Din's is, in my opinion, much more thought provoking than 3.02 Din's. Simply placing a Din's and expecting it to comeback is not good enough. Use the return trail to your advantage, especially if you can manage to get it to orbit you. Getting hit by the return Din's does put you into hitstun and leads to so many options.

Far from braindead.

Last edited:

Downdraft

Smash Ace
I'd disagree with the whole idea that 3.5 Din's is braindead. I feel that its far from it.

Since there can only be one Din's at any time, knowing when to release and when not to is pivotal in the battle. For instance, if you've been launched and you want to cover your recovery, but you already have a Din's out, that will be a major detriment against you and could potentially result in a KO.

Also, getting hit while your Din's is returning causes it to fall out of tangent. In that moment, deciding if you should bring your Din's back to you or to allow it to exit the blast zone can make or break the moment. It's possible that returning the Din's from its missed tangent can lead to new combos from the unsuspected enemy. Or the enemy could take advantage of your momentary inability.

Din's is, in my opinion, much more thought provoking than 3.02 Din's. Simply placing a Din's and expecting it to comeback is not good enough. Use the return trail to your advantage, especially if you can manage to get it to orbit you. Getting hit by the return Din's does put you into hitstun and leads to so many options.

Far from braindead.
I post http://smashboards.com/threads/minesweeper-mine-formations-and-you.351488/ in response to the bold part, and that thread is just the tip of the iceberg. 3.02 Din's had much greater utility and will likely still prove to be the harder one to master of the two. You have to think when using either version of the attack, but I believe 3.02 will remain superior even after we've figured out how to use 3.5 Din's.

Arcalyth

GLS | root
I think 3.5 dins is way more intricate. You'll see as more footage comes out. It's far more dynamic and you actually have a pretty good amount of control over it once you learn how to place them right.

4tlas

Smash Lord

Far from braindead.

Nobody said it was braindead. I said it was more braindead than 3.02 Dins, though. It is impossible to determine objectively which version had the higher skill ceiling (3 dins or moving exploding dins?), but I think the argument can be made that the skill floor for new Dins is inherently lower due to the decreased risk of placement (speed-wise. Cooldown is greater, though, but during that time you are using other moves) and due to the potential for the location of placement to be irrelevant because of the return mechanic.

New dins is definitely intricate and I enjoy using it. I enjoyed using 3.02 dins far more and I NEVER felt frustrated by it as a Zelda player or against her.

While I'm at it here's me playing at our most recent weekly. It isn't the highest caliber match but I still do some cool things, like at 13:10. Sorry about all the dead space while we tinkered with the stream. I would appreciate any insight or advice! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_krUUh_geY

I use new Dins for many different things in this video, including tech chases, harassment, zoning away, zoning towards, manual/transform explosions for edgeguards, return explosions to start combos, and using manual explosions to change return timings.

Last edited:

Downdraft

Smash Ace
While I'm at it here's me playing at our most recent weekly. It isn't the highest caliber match but I still do some cool things, like at 13:10. Sorry about all the dead space while we tinkered with the stream. I would appreciate any insight or advice! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_krUUh_geY

I use new Dins for many different things in this video, including tech chases, harassment, zoning away, zoning towards, manual/transform explosions for edgeguards, return explosions to start combos, and using manual explosions to change return timings.
Why not teleport to the ledge for an edgeguard? If the opponent recovers onto the stage, then you can Lightning Kick from the ledge. There really wasn't anything for me to critique. You played very well and demonstrated some proficiency with 3.5 Din's and telecanceling. Congrats on winning that round.

Luis Alonso

Smash Journeyman
Why not teleport to the ledge for an edgeguard? If the opponent recovers onto the stage, then you can Lightning Kick from the ledge. There really wasn't anything for me to critique. You played very well and demonstrated some proficiency with 3.5 Din's and telecanceling. Congrats on winning that round.
I finally learned how to auto-snap the edge with an aerial Farore's! I am so proud of myself!

Now I need to learn how to do it with a grounded Farore's. I've seen NinjaLink do it before so I know its possible... Any idea guys?

4tlas

Smash Lord
I don't trust myself to not SD, whether because my opponent arrives first or I don't let go of the control stick in time. I also don't trust myself to space a lightning kick off the ledge, especially in 3.5. Those are definitely both things I should work on, though! Thanks.

Edit: @ Luis Alonso Luis Alonso did you see him do it starting from a platform? If you ride the ground the best you can do is cancel right above the ledge and grab it while starting your fall, but that isn't the same thing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom