• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Zelda Social - Still the queen of Smash...and maybe queen of low tier for a decade, too. Shall we make it two?

Are you happy with the Link Between Worlds redesign?

• Yes, she's gorgeous and expressive.

Votes: 265 65.9%
  • No, Breath of the Wild had such potential.

Votes: 56 13.9%
  • No, Twilight Princess death stare Zelda was the best design.

Votes: 45 11.2%
  • I'm happy with any design, just as long as she's viable,

Votes: 36 9.0%

• Total voters

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
How's it going Big Boi Damage gang? :ultzelda::ultzelda::nifty::ultzelda:

So I saw the pilot of Cells At Work! yesterday, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'll definitely be keeping up with that show, it's fun and they made all of the cells have personalities.

I like how RBC is ditzy but also wanting to help. WBC is seen as a monsterous killer of germs and viruses, but is a bit of a softie, and so on.

And the OP and ED are just so nice too.

Cells At Work! OP
Cells At Work! ED

Also, I think we can agree Neutral Wise...

Zelda would easily lose to Gordeau. :secretkpop:

I mean, have you seen Gordeau's "Netural"?

He'd probably scare her so much with that. He's gonna UNGA you to submission.

Also, since I mentioned waiting on the BBTAG DLC. Here's a question.

Whenever we do get Season 2 DLC; who are you hoping for to be added?
This is who I'm hoping for:

Celica A. Mercury

Kokonoe Mercury

Taokaka

Teddie

Rise Kujikawa

Tohru Adachi

Hilda

Enkidu

Chaos

Qrow

Neo

Penny

No images of these guys. :secretkpop:

Last edited:

Nammy12

Smash Lord
NNID
Nammy12
I picked up a switch and botw yesterday since eb was having a promotion. Haven't had a chance to play yet because of work. At least I'll finally be able to play my Xenoblade 2 copy I've had since December lol. Maybe I'll pick up xtag as well.

Do people who own a switch feel like a screen protector is necessary?

Also EODM07 EODM07 I feel like top characters in xtag is something like Narukami, es, hyde, ruby, and then a jump to something like Orie/Jin/Blake. Not specifically ordered.
Yang is s tier online though due to armor.

Bottom 5 is prob something like (not ordered) yukiko, Noel, chie, linne, jubei

Aside from yukiko the other characters are usable but likely outclassed by other characters. Yukiko is garbage just like her status as a waifu

A lot of the persona characters are kinda garbage since persona as a system mechanic sucks lmao. You basically get a hittable sword that stays on screen that hurts you with no real benefits. Compared to something like reverse beat, personas suck. The only reason Narukami doesn't get affected by this is because he doesn't need his persona for his neutral lol. His 5b might as well not exist tbh.

I feel like as a whole the under night characters are the strongest series soley because of reverse beat being so good for converting any stray hit into a full solo combo which is super strong for baiting bursts.

After that is probably the rwby characters since they have a **** ton of tools and were built ground up for the game.

BB characters are just average aside from es and Jin assists and persona characters are mainly meh.

evmaxy54

Smash Champion
NNID
maXywashere
There has to be a reason you're still playing Zelda, and if it's not blackmail or getting paid to do so, then the only other reason is that you have fun playing her, even if you won't admit it.

Maybe you're all right in that Zelda will never be viable without a significant overhaul... in 1v1s. Zelda truly shines with someone supporting her or facing otherwise distracted foes, not unlike the non-Warrior games she fought in. You know, like actual mages in RPGs. But even putting aside mode discrepancy, Zelda has, in my eyes, felt better to play in every iteration, even if all of them are bottom tier in the ''be-all-end-all'' 1v1s. I wouldn't touch :zeldamelee: with a ten-foot pole if I could help it, :zelda: was only good for cheesing FFAs with massive Din's, but in Smash 4 I have fun playing as Zelda, viability be damned. And she looks to be even more fun in Ultimate. I feel the same way with Pichu. Even if it were to turn out that there was no objective reason to ever use him over Pika, I still would, because I like him better for his uniqueness and cuteness.

Anyone here obviously likes playing Zelda, even if playing for fun without necessarily winning isn't a popular opinion around these parts.
She's fun until you play something like Sheik then all I want to do is go and play a good game instead.

Like UNIST

Because that **** is coming to Steam soonish

KREYGASM

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
1) Finally finishing the last battle of Xenoblade 2 because Nammy12 Nammy12 made me remember I didn't beat it yet.
2) Me: I'm not gonna cry because this ending is gonna be so anime-cheesy-predictable which usually makes me cringe and not cry anyway.
3) Me barely enduring the long af cutscenes:
SecretKCry.png

4) Me after C.10's title flashes 1 last time:

This makes sense now.
This should be in the 1st post tbh. It even uses top tier colors for the writing.

I picked up a switch and botw yesterday since eb was having a promotion. Haven't had a chance to play yet because of work. At least I'll finally be able to play my Xenoblade 2 copy I've had since December lol. Maybe I'll pick up xtag as well.

Do people who own a switch feel like a screen protector is necessary?
Gratz on joining the SW-friend code gang Sassy War-kweens and/or Sassy War-gawddesses.

And ye buy the protector, 10 dollars for a nice screen protector isn't bad for a 300 dollar device. Not to mention the only way to fully turn it off is to physically hold the power button for 3+ seconds, so if it's still in the craddle, it'll push against one of the plastic sides.

Y'know, because the technology needed to remotely shut off electronics doesn't exist yet, but I'm sure Nintendy will be the 1st to create it.. :secretkpop:

imo nab the 10 dollar screen protector by Black Web (Walmart brand). It has a perfect applicator + kit so you just drop The Switch into the cradle screen side down and the protector should be nicely aligned. It even comes with these wet wipes and a silky dry cloth. This way one go is all you need to get it on right. It hasn't messed up the sensitivity for me and it's fairly smooth to the touch for a "tough" plastic screen protector. My cheap-but-tough plastic phone protector feels like it's trying to file off my fingerprints every time I touch the screen.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Zelda is dead. Short hop attacks cut damage by 15% and Zelda happens to have highly damaging attacks so shes affected the most.

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
I
Zelda is dead. Short hop attacks cut damage by 15% and Zelda happens to have highly damaging attacks so shes affected the most.
Is that where the weird discrepancy was coming from? Jesus Sakurai, give Zelda something ffs.

evmaxy54

Smash Champion
NNID
maXywashere
As much as this is a detriment to Zelda I like this mechanic

Counter measure to how aerials are gonna be this game

Also seems influenced by UNI too so woop ROFL

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Is that where the weird discrepancy was coming from? Jesus Sakurai, give Zelda something ffs.
It's targeting everyone in a way. Here's the full post on it in the Ultimate boards: https://smashboards.com/threads/the...ce-changes-thread.455366/page-5#post-22212872.

That one post from Reddit and linked in there as well about pivots being gone or made clunkier is concerning for me. The only thing I can think of for why pivots are gone is because of the new dash and running mechanic of the game, but even still, pivots are just useful and aren't really detrimental or anything. From what I'm understanding, you can do pivot Bairs, but not instantly like in Brawl or Smash 4 which kind of sucks, especially since Wolf's coming back and his Brawl Bair with his aerial mobility was godly.

Last edited:

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
Lol i just saw your tweets about this and come to post this exact thing

It does stack with the 1v1 damage buff of 20% right? That would mean we still have a (negligible) net gain of 5% more damage than Smash 4's. I mean 21% for a fresh kick really isn't that awful imo

At least we don't rely almost entirely on SH aerials like some other characters do...

I'm more concerned about shields staling moves. I feel like that's something that can definitely have a huge impact on Zelda's playstyle

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
It does stack with the 1v1 damage buff of 20% right? That would mean we still have a (negligible) net gain of 5% more damage than Smash 4's. I mean 21% for a fresh kick really isn't that awful imo
I doubt it stacks additively like that. Chances are either the game has 2 separate base values for it, one for short hop and one for full hop, and those get multiplied by 120% when you load into the match, or (IMO more likely) you load into the match first with the 20% bonus and a short hop has its own -15% debuff to the new damage numbers when it's executed.

Last edited:

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
How's it going Reisen X Youmu fans? :ultzelda::ultzelda:

Waiting for Sonic Mania Plus to become available so I can download it as an upgrade for my Switch copy. smh

Also, I got my results back from university.

For my Overall Examinable Score, I got a 53/100.
And for my Overall Continuous Assessment Score, I got a 69/100.

Which in turn is a pass, so I've very happy with that.

Also, hopefully we'll be able to see the new DLC soon for BBTAG; cause I wanna know if Merkava will be a viable option or not. smh

Speaking of Under Night since I mentioned Merkava; someone managed to mod in Akira from DFCI into UNIEL over Akatsuki.

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
https://youtu.be/fEkfyQn3gm8?t=2m40s

I'm just going to throw this here but watch the phantom at 2:40. It looks like if zelda gets hit (even at full charge) it will be destroyed.
I wonder how low *that* bar is? Keeping in mind we've been upgraded to recycling bin, I'm guessing we can take a Fox laser, but not a Falco laser before our slightly-upgraded-from-being-worst-projectile-in-the-game crumbles...

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I wonder how low *that* bar is? Keeping in mind we've been upgraded to recycling bin, I'm guessing we can take a Fox laser, but not a Falco laser before our slightly-upgraded-from-being-worst-projectile-in-the-game crumbles...
Oh noes, being hit in the startup of a projectile move causes it to not come out. It's a horrible, unfair fate that only befalls literally every other projectile move.

Zelda still has Nayru's to answer other projectiles

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
Oh noes, being hit in the startup of a projectile move causes it to not come out. It's a horrible, unfair fate that only befalls literally every other projectile move.

Zelda still has Nayru's to answer other projectiles
Alright ya Yian Garuga fan man, I'mma have to ask you how many of those projectiles have to be charged up?

Links (all 3 links) arrows, Megaman's Fsmash, and, what... Mii Gunner's fsmash? Those are the ones that come to mind that share Zelda's need to charge, and also her inability to store the projectile.
Not saying that character's having weaknesses are a bad thing, especially a global weakness, but Zelda already has way more of those than she needs.

I'm also pretty sure that hitting Zelda's off would be easier with the ridiculously bad startup. I've barely ever seen anyone but her get knocked out of using their projectiles...

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I'm going to guess it's knockback based which would make sense since flinching while trying to cast a spell would interrupt you. So, unless Fox's lasers suddenly gain knockback in the release build, it, along with other moves that don't cause knockback, but still do damage, should not cause Zelda to drop her Phantom Slash. Anything else on the other hand, is fair game.

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
even this trash social isn’t safe from the feh spam
0DFBF7B6-D7DE-49CD-B8B1-E4E97FA194CA.png

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
I
tbf Zelda doesn't really have many sh aerial options that are wise to use. The only one I can think of is ffsh Nair or a cheeky Dair. Losing KB/dmg to any of those by 15% isn't going to make or break her.

As much as this is a detriment to Zelda I like this mechanic

Counter measure to how aerials are gonna be this game

Also seems influenced by UNI too so woop ROFL
iirc Sakurai didn't like much of what he was seeing when he watched a pro match. So that probably refers to all the short hop spamming and he was all like "I'll get you heauxes who spam neutral options rather than play the ****ing game."

Maybe that might help Zelda in the long run because, quite frankly, she had no spammable options. Unless we count spamming downward half the time for the OP sitting/crouching animation.

Behold! My new profile pic!

View attachment 153405
u r a treasure

Tho idk why he doesn't have Ike's head. :^)

even this trash social isn’t safe from the feh spam
And no Reinhardt is safe from that heaux slayer.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
It starts off cringy because you know butt stuff is gonna happen, but becomes a powder keg of memes the moment our TRUE GORL appears.

Also shoulda put it in media form gorlo.

btw pressed F to pay my respects 10 times but idk if it's enough Sakurai pls un-nerf the booty

Last edited:

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
How's it going Mania Plus fans? :ultsonic::ultduckhunt::ultganondorf::ultzelda:

So I managed to get the Mania Plus DLC, and I really enjoyed it; though I think I forgot how long I played it for.

I usually play games for about 2 hours at most. I played Mania Plus for almost 5 hours, jeez. I really should've stopped when I beat Mania Mode as Mighty. Oh well.

I'll finish off Encore Mode since I only got 1 more Chaos Emerald to find and gotta go through Metallic Madness and Titanic Monarch. :yeahboi:

Also, new trailer for My Hero One's Justice, looking good as ever. :yeahboi:

My Hero One's Justice 3rd Trailer

TheFacelessOne

Smash Cadet
iirc Sakurai didn't like much of what he was seeing when he watched a pro match. So that probably refers to all the short hop spamming and he was all like "I'll get you heauxes who spam neutral options rather than play the ****ing game."

Maybe that might help Zelda in the long run because, quite frankly, she had no spammable options. Unless we count spamming downward half the time for the OP sitting/crouching animation.
Really? I thought from bears tweets that sakurai was smiling for the whole invitational (until the beyonetta thing happened). Aside from that, he said there were bugs he noticed that he'd have to fix before launch.

Last edited:

Squii The Fish

Smash Journeyman
Ah mayhap's. I feel the biggest "ooof" here is the nerf on her out of shield fair/bair.

Between this, and characters falling out of multi-jab and forward smash it looks like we will be braving the low tier apocalyptic wastelands once again, sharing between ourselves glitter rations and scavenging off mistakes and input errors for nutrition.

at least run cancel seems to have a alarmingly short distance which is nice and single hit jab looks so I good I wanna take it out to dinner and meet its parents.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Ah mayhap's. I feel the biggest "ooof" here is the nerf on her out of shield fair/bair.

Between this, and characters falling out of multi-jab and forward smash it looks like we will be braving the low tier apocalyptic wastelands once again, sharing between ourselves glitter rations and scavenging off mistakes and input errors for nutrition.

at least run cancel seems to have a alarmingly short distance which is nice and single hit jab looks so I good I wanna take it out to dinner and meet its parents.
I see people fall out of Ridley's jab all the damn time. People just don't know when to stop.

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
How's it going Meiling X Sakuya fans? :ultzelda::ultzelda::nifty::nifty:

Managed to beat Encore Mode in Mania Plus. Might as well give my thoughts on the expansion.

It's really worth your time.

Sure, IGN may be dumb to think that it doesn't add much; but in my honest opinion, it definitely does.

It adds in a new mode in the form of Encore Mode (Which remixes all of the Zones so Item placement, Special Rings and New Routes can be found by the likes of Mighty and Tails for example). It also adds Mighty The Armordillo and Ray The Squirrel who both function differently.

Mighty has two unique traits.
- He can smash down to the ground quickly which in turn forces platforms to drop/break faster.
- If you jump into spikes with Mighty, he'll bounces off them preventing him from losing Rings or Shield. This is very handy imo. If you Smash into Spikes, he'll flinch from it, but he won't lose any Rings or his Shield.

Ray on the otherhand only has one trait being he can glide.
- By pressing Right>Left or Left>Right, he'll be able to gain more height and speed from gliding; think of this as the cape in Super Mario World. I do think this can actually reach some places higher then Tails can even reach; but it does feel a bit challenging to use sometimes.

There are also a bunch of changes made to the stages too and some little details made too.

All stages that previously had no transitions now have them, the stages being the following:

Flying Battery:
- The playable character will now hop onto a hang glider to reach Press Garden.
- The hang glider is in reference to Sonic 2 on the Master System/Game Gear where Sonic had to use a Hang Glider in one of the Zones.

Stardust Speedway:
- There's a new 2nd form for Metal Sonic, which is in reference to Knuckles' Chaotix.
- After beating Metal Sonic, a badnik will knock the Phantom Ruby away angrily.
- Eggman will now transport the player to Hydrocity thanks to the Phantom Ruby.

Hydrocity:
- The wall will break after defeating Eggman, allowing the player to escape to Mirage Saloon.

Oil Ocean:
- Instead of a path where the capsule is, it's now on a ship. Which will transport the player to Lava Reef (The ship will sink into the lava afterwards).

Lava Reef:
- After defeating Heavy Knight, the ship where the boss fight took place with raise up to Little Planet, where the player will turn to face it. Somehow leading into Metallic Madness.
- After defeating Heavy King, the player will run to a transportation orb that takes them to Metallic Madness on Little Planet.

Metallic Madness:
- Once the capsule has been broken, the power in MM will go out, the player will soon see a silhouette of Titanic Monarch in the background with lightning striking (If you're playing as Tails or playing as Sonic & Tails or have him with you in Encore Mode, he'll actually jump from the strikes of lightning; showing he has electrophobia, a fear of lightning).

Titanic Monarch (Encore Mode) :
(Bad Ending) - Once you defeat Eggman and both the player and Eggman flee. Heavy King will jump down, grab the Phantom Ruby and the screen will flash, hinting that the Hard Boiled Heavies have restarted Encore Mode from the beginning again. Post credits shows Heavy King taunting the player whilst juggling all 7 Chaos Emeralds.
(Good Ending) - Once you defeat Eggman, the Phantom Ruby will start to destroy the Titanic Monarch; Eggman will start fleeing, however every character will go Super, knocking Eggman into the dimension the Ruby has formed. Post credits has Sonic and crew at Mirage Saloon having ice cream; Heavy King soon serves them more ice cream to their surprise.

Also, I did try out Egg Reverie as Mighty, it was hilarious.

Overall, the expansion is only £4/$5, so I do highly recommend it; it's only about 1/4 of what you've paid for the base game if you bought it digitally.

I'll give it 4 :ultzelda:s out of 5 :4zelda:s.

A very good expansion.

Last edited:

Darktundra

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jokton
Thought of the day:
Ledge Trump -> phantom (full charge)
{Not to downgrade Trump-> Lightning Kick}
If the opponent air dodges to the stage, Zelda can "Full Hop" (no dmg reduction) from ledge to a 25% lightning kick.

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
thinking of making libra my next +10 project when he demotes, but i’m not 100% sure yet

i’m happy maribelle finally got added and that she is now the best offensive healer in the game. i’m really trying to save my orbs rn, so i’ll probs hold off summoning for her until her next banner

mugwhump

Smash Journeyman
Getting to play the demo at least a few times at comicon, anything specific I should test? It's all 4p ffas so I probably can't do anything extensive, and testing damage #s could be hard.

One thing I noticed today is that Dins doesn't go so far. From around the right roof on onnett to the tree at most.

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184
I'd see how well you can potentially edge guard someone after burning away their air dodge with din's at the least. Potentially see how well see can force a response in the neutral with varying charges of phantom, though I'm not too optimistic on that front at the moment.

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
How's it going Yu/Gordeau mains? :nifty::ultzelda::nifty:

So I managed to get around 11k in BBTAG with Gordeau all from just a grab. I'm rather surprised that I managed to get that much damage, since grabs tend to reduce the damage you deal significantly.

But here's the combo I managed to do. :yeahboi:

Gordeau Combo (Corner):
B+C>5AAA>5BB>236B>4P>5BB>236B(CC)>4P>5BB>214BC4P>P

I got that off online as well; I think if I was using someone like Kanji, I would've only hit around 9k because I could only use his Assist twice in the combo, but due to how quick Yu's assist is and how long it lingers; I'm able to get his assist off 3 times, and it helps me get the powered up version of their Supers. Whereas with Kanji, it's all about timing the Cross Burst correctly, whereas with Yu; you can time it just before or during the 1st hit of 236B.

Also, for those wondering. My Win Ratio is 212/321.

Pretty damn good if I say so myself. :yeahboi:

Also, I saw Episode 52 of My Hero Academia, it was fun and interesting. Gonna probably be watching Cells At Work! later today as well.

Also, on a scale of 1 to 10. How good is the Garuda Cave Theme?

Top Bottom