• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Zelda Social: But also the FE Heroes Internet Cafe

micstar615

Smash Ace
We should meet up, possibly with SBphiloz4. Are you in the Smash 4 FB group?
I'm not! (Didn't even know there was a fb group!) I'm an awful competitive smash player so I never got into the scene beyond playing with my close group of friends, would love to branch out and meet some new people though :)

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
Then, I visit this thread like I always do and now my mom is secretly watching me from behind and some guy has an anime sig here and my mom's like "wow you're 2X years old and you still watch these stupid cartoons?." For the record, I don't watch anime and my mom is anti-Japan for what they did to her relatives in WWII.
Oh SH*T.

I'm so sorry, dude. Here's hoping things smooth over with you after semester >.<

One of the reasons my parents don't give me crap for games is it being a good way to spend time with my little sisters. I remember my dad (my dad in particular, my mom is a bit of a gamer, she's obsessed with Zelda) never spoke about it again when he saw my fiancee and I passed out at 8 am in my room, after overnight MK8 online.

My dad's favorite phrase is "Betta (spoken in Urdu), you're writing your own destiny."

I'm pretty conservative by some standards (fiscally and somewhat socially), but our family finds a way to get along.

Last edited:

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
Pretty much my mom thinks everything I do is video games and hates them with a passion. She doesn't know I've been playing competitively for years now but things have taken a really bad turn. Whenever I'm at the computer, she's like "eugh you're playing games again?" when I don't play PC games. She'll be in another room and she'll scream at me for playing games when I'm on Skype or something. She didn't know I connected the Wii U to an hdtv and she screamed at the top of her lungs that I"m breaking her TV when it hasn't been used for a year until when SBphiloz4 came over. I asked her what the problem was and she just said "shut up," having no response to my question.

Then, I visit this thread like I always do and now my mom is secretly watching me from behind and some guy has an anime sig here and my mom's like "wow you're 2X years old and you still watch these stupid cartoons?." For the record, I don't watch anime and my mom is anti-Japan for what they did to her relatives in WWII.

I go to work from 3-11pm, and get home at around 11:45. I catch up on stuff I missed and talk to somebody on Skype asking about getting a freaking privacy screen for my monitor when I'm accused of playing games yet again. I seriously can not stand living with this woman and the only reason why I'm here is because after paying for my final semester of school next week, I'll be next to broke. She doesn't trust anything I say about school. When I say the class median is 52% on a test, and I'm really proud of my 75%... my mom tells my sister behind my back she doesn't believe a thing I say and I just want to make my failures look better. I tell my mom child support isn't taxable income (I work in tax), she doesn't believe me. I'm the accounting major and tax worker... you aren't. I print out something proving I'm right and still she says she has never got in trouble for it yet.

My mom whines about me not cooking. Well sorry I don't know what a lot of the stuff in my fridge is. I love cooking but you get mad that I use up your fridge space with my ingredients so I don't buy groceries anymore. I'm sorry me buying a $2 spatula is blasphemy and using up drawer space.

Can't stand conservative Asians at all. Save me.
This kinda sounds like my mom, but more extreme. She pressures me to do well in school all the time, and it's only getting worse as college life approaches. If it wasn't for my dad "Americanizing" her, she would probably be a lot like your mom.

I know this doesn't sound like much, but I really hope things get better for you. Just know that you'll be out of there at some point. :)

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
It's a closed group! Should I request to join? Or do they have to actually know me xD
Nah they accept everyone. I'm the guy who posts all the time but gets ignored. (Kevin, and people stopped calling me that here)

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Alright, I sent a request, my name is Michael (not a very Indian name, I know)
No worries. I love that Indian food though :)

I've had limited exposure and "Indian hot" exposed me :p Pretty much T-block and Firefly saw me desperately flailing "air" into my mouth to cool it down. The Bobby Wing at Wings is even worse though.

Last edited:

micstar615

Smash Ace
No worries. I love that Indian food though :)

I've had limited exposure and "Indian hot" exposed me :p
Indian food is soooo good but it's terrible for you! We have a samosa place near our house and I salivate everytime I walk by there, Indian food is one of the only things I love about being Indian :p

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Yeah seriously. I received a box of samosas once and I was really conflicted over eating them or not. Ended up eating some and felt like crap after. Tasted amazing with that tamarind chutney sauce stuff.

Last edited:

micstar615

Smash Ace
Yeah seriously. I received a box of samosas once and I was really conflicted over eating them or not. Ended up eating some and felt like crap after. Tasted amazing with that tamarind chutney sauce stuff.
Ugh I bet you haven't tried the ones with chicken in them, they taste even better if they're cooked right! This is why most Indians end up with heart problems xD

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I can't post proof of this, nor do I know if this is known already, but...

I could have sworn jab lead into a grab at a moderate (60ish) percentage.

SBphiloz4

Gatekeeper of the Shadows
NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
@ micstar615 micstar615 , I'll probably see you one day! Might wanna go to the tourney at UBC on the 4th, but we'll see. Maybe Kevin will go too. c:

My mom at times gets pretty conservative (Asian parents surprise), but most of the time we get along pretty well. All about knowing each other's stances. I prefer a more open minded way of living life, kinda like my dad, haha.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
UBC and on a Sunday... eugh.

Might go to the SFU one but there are no details on how to pre-pay.

Last edited:

SBphiloz4

NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
There's also the AniRevo Winter tourney, but it's only Smash 3DS, so I might pass on that. I guess definitely for you, the commute to UBC is pretty atrocious, haha.

Might check out the SFU one though.

micstar615

Smash Ace
@ micstar615 micstar615 , I'll probably see you one day! Might wanna go to the tourney at UBC on the 4th, but we'll see. Maybe Kevin will go too. c:

My mom at times gets pretty conservative (Asian parents surprise), but most of the time we get along pretty well. All about knowing each other's stances. I prefer a more open minded way of living life, kinda like my dad, haha.
I didn't know UBC and SFU held tourneys o.O And yeah I prefer a more open minded way of living as well which can unfortunately clash with the mold my family wants me to fit in :/

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
@ Alacion Alacion , that sucks! D: If you ever need accommodation, you're always welcome in my house.
Haha thanks. I wish I majored in something different so I'd be out of the house already.

Do you live in Japan? I'd probably be disowned if I entered that country... which isn't a totally bad thing. :)

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
Haha thanks. I wish I majored in something different so I'd be out of the house already.

Do you live in Japan? I'd probably be disowned if I entered that country... which isn't a totally bad thing. :)
I'm living in Japan for a year! It's awesummm. After that I'll return back to the Netherlands.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Is it kinda hard to find your way around and communicate or do you already have some knowledge in Japanese?

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Well I mean they have a screenshot of it happening. It was either intentional or they were too lazy to fix it.
ACTUALLY, there are countless pre-release screens where characters are using attacks that would clearly hit in the full version. I'm not 100% certain, but my guess is that the devs have/had a "Hit-box-less" mode so that they could take more interesting pictures. (Read: Obviously not ALL of the pre-release pics use this.)

My picture example is WFT's ftilt.

As you can see, her very obviously a hit-box back leg is not hitting Lucario.

Also, Link is definitely using an attack (I think, Fsmash.) in the pic of Zelda and Link, and he ain't hittin'.

EDIT : lol. I could've SWORN I was already on the last page. Pardon the out-of-place-latenesssssss.

Last edited:

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Oh I thought it was just team battle without friendly fire. Doesn't explain the costumes though!

Last edited:

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
ACTUALLY, there are countless pre-release screens where characters are using attacks that would clearly hit in the full version. I'm not 100% certain, but my guess is that the devs have/had a "Hit-box-less" mode so that they could take more interesting pictures. (Read: Obviously not ALL of the pre-release pics use this.)

My picture example is WFT's ftilt.

As you can see, her very obviously a hit-box back leg is not hitting Lucario.

Also, Link is definitely using an attack (I think, Fsmash.) in the pic of Zelda and Link, and he ain't hittin'.

EDIT : lol. I could've SWORN I was already on the last page. Pardon the out-of-place-latenesssssss.
Hitboxless mode...that actually sounds pretty cool.
I just thought I'd found evidence that the devs really DO not care about Zelda, lol. And I couldnt really tell what Link was doing. I assumed he was just running or in the startup of his dash attack.

Also, is it just me, or is WFT's leg going waay higher in this pic than in the final game? And Lucario's Jab3 looks like a copy paste from Brawl there, but it's a new animation in game....

But anyways thanks for that correction!

Fernosaur

Smash Lord
NNID
Fernosaur
Aleate I'm sorry to read what you have to go through with your mom :(. Being in a household that makes you miserable or angry all the time is super exhausting, and really the only comfort I can offer is to say that once you graduate you can look for a job and a cheap flat or something and run the hell away from all this :'D.

I'm guessing you're paying college with student loans?

Mocha

Coffee Addict
In the land of princesses, frogs, and dragons
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
Having your own place and job isn't all that great either. You have to constantly worry about bills, and unless you're lucky, you'll barely have free time due to your job. Then there's the matter of cooking, cleaning, etc. Still, I'd much prefer going through all of this than having to live with my parents again, myself.

Being independent can be stressful and all, but at least there is peace.

Hope it works out for you @ Alacion Alacion

Fernosaur

Smash Lord
NNID
Fernosaur
^ Yeah, I know it's stressful by itself because of all the sudden responsibilities, but there's a good charm about being independent because a) you are in charge of who stays in and out of your life and b) you are (somewhat) in control of your time, money and activities. I'd never go back o living with my parents again either.

micstar615

Smash Ace
Have any of you guys incorporated perfect pivoting into your play style yet? How do you guys feel about it? I spent a little while trying to do it last night but it's quite difficult -.- apparently Zelda can use her UTilt while doing it

SBphiloz4

NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
I actually have a question for most of you guys as well. Do you guys leave tap jump on? I have the impression that you cannot OoS FW if Tap Jump is off, but feel free to correct me if anything can.

If Tap Jump is left on, perfect pivot Utilt will be almost impossible to do. >.>

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
I actually have a question for most of you guys as well. Do you guys leave tap jump on? I have the impression that you cannot OoS FW if Tap Jump is off, but feel free to correct me if anything can.

If Tap Jump is left on, perfect pivot Utilt will be almost impossible to do. >.>
I turned tap jump off as soon as I got the game on. Since Brawl where I could finally not have this issue, I've always had it off.

You CAN do JC FW OoS with it off, but it requires you to press jump AND do up + B, which can be tricker, particularly on a 3DS where you'll have to move where your fingers are most likely.

I don't mind the extra work though, I find it an alright trade for having tap jump being off personally.

Another option is to make a shoulder button jump as well. That would make FW OoS much easier while keeping tap jump OFF.

Last edited:

evmaxy54

Smash Champion
NNID
maXywashere

No. Tap jump make me a sad panda. ;_;

Also, yeah you can do OoS FW without TJ, but you kinda have to have one of the triggers set to jump to do it somewhat reliably (I quite like having L as jump since I rarely use L at all except for DACUS in Brawl but like that's gone now so might as well make something useful for it).

@ BJN39 BJN39 y u edit ninja me sis? ;_;

I can't wait to actually start playing around with PPs properly they seem quite the bant.

Also, @ 「 Derk 」 「 Derk 」 that outfit is fabulous darling

Last edited:

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
@ BJN39 BJN39 y u edit ninja me sis? ;_;
Lol it just occurred to me that a lot of people will make a shoulder button a jump for things like this.

I actually can't do this though ATM as one of my 3DS's shoulder buttons is broke. ; w ;

I've now actually gotten really used to shielding with L and grabbing with Y. I don't think I could manage to go back nao. I guess thaT helps when I can finally use a shoulder button again. I can go immediately to it being jump! :D

Last edited:

SBphiloz4

NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
Alright, thanks sisters~ >uO

I'm just used to tap jump on from the very start, so I'll probably still stick with that. RIP Utilt usage though. qwq

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
I find Utilt to be pretty useful tbh, it's really fast, (comparable to Dtilt and Jab in all around speed.) meaning you can throw it out in neutral situations and possibly noT get punished for just using it.

And of course you can catch followups off of it occasionally. Its range also isn't half bad. It can actually reach through BF platforms very slightly at the peak of the arc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom