• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Zelda Social: But also the FE Heroes Internet Cafe

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
sprites are the best

Not to say that every game should be sprite-based, but I appreciate the artistic stylings of sprites a lot more than 3D models. Especially since models still tend to have awkward animations and clipping issues galore to this day.
Sprites are time consuming, though. They're labors of love and with how game development is getting more expensive - blame all the advertising, AAA emulation, and need to go Hollywood - and stuff just getting more detailed, sprites aren't considered much, especially with stuff that needs to be animated frame-by-frame like in fighting games. This is why I don't like KoF XIV's direction. I get it, 3D modeling can be more efficient, but they could have gone with something like Guilty Gear Xrd or Marvel vs. Capcom 3 that used 3D models, but stylized them so the look unique or in Guilty Gear's case, looked almost 2D.

Lots of 3D modeled games go for the ultra-realism which more or less makes everything feel generic with some games like Metal Gear Solid V, Final Fantasy XV, and The Witcher 3 doing something to not feel like a freaking tech demo. The irony of that is MGSV goes for even more realism with subtle things like characters adjusting the body to the terrain, so if Snake crawls onto an elevated rock, he's not going to just lie flat and magically hover his legs or animating muscles since, hey, if we're going for realism, then why not make it look even more real and not have arms just move without seeing muscles flex? Street Fighter V and Kingdom Hearts 3 use 3D models, but stylizes them in a way where they stand out. KoF XIV's style just looks like Virtua Fighter or Dead or Alive which makes it lose its charm, especially when KoF XIII had beautiful sprites. 2D modeled, sprite or otherwise, games tend to go for whatever which is just fantastic since each game feels like a different game.

While I didn't really like Zappa, I tried learning him at one point because one of those ghosts in particular is really awesome

Unfortunately I couldn't really get into Guilty Gear at all because none of the characters clicked for/appealed to me. Dizzy's the closest to the sort of character archetype I tend to like but I both didn't enjoy playing her and was awful at her, so I defaulted to Ky (who I also sucked at).

EDIT: I just noticed the forum doesn't allow for consecutive spaces so all spaces after a period are single spaces and this is going to rustle me every time I read a post now.
That just screams Jojo to me... I blame the Robin social.

Last edited:

Gay Ginger

Make Smash Bros. Gay Again
Switch FC
3923-4397-1697
I just made a FG Sheik rage quit after I beat him 3 times in a row when I had exactly 108% and KOd him with a partially charged F-smash each time lol.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
While I didn't really like Zappa, I tried learning him at one point because one of those ghosts in particular is really awesome

Unfortunately I couldn't really get into Guilty Gear at all because none of the characters clicked for/appealed to me. Dizzy's the closest to the sort of character archetype I tend to like but I both didn't enjoy playing her and was awful at her, so I defaulted to Ky (who I also sucked at).

EDIT: I just noticed the forum doesn't allow for consecutive spaces so all spaces after a period are single spaces and this is going to rustle me every time I read a post now.
I bet you gorls play as the obligatory waifu

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
The new spoiler tags are sleek as ****. Overall, I like the new update to the site.

KarmaCastle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KarmaCastle
The new spoiler tags are sleek as ****. Overall, I like the new update to the site.
I keep trying to click on my notification flag and it sends me to the actual webpage the first click.

It's been a total (altogether) of an hour or two browsing smashboards today and I still can't get used to hovering over the flag instead.

Given my biggest gripe is something that's arguably a positive change I'll just get used to in a day, I have to agree. Smoooooth.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Could never get into traditional fighters myself. Not because of the controls, been doing Zs and full circles since '02 thanks to Megaman Zero, but because I can't get attached to cardboard characters with often little personality in gameplay.

I mean, why play as a generic shirtless judo dude when I can be Bowser or Toon Link?

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Well a lot of Smash characters don't exactly have personality as their strong point

Like... Most of the Mario characters. Kirby, Dedede, Duck Hunt, G&W (he's literally flat)... The Pokémon characters except Mewtwo and maybe Lucario have very minimal personality as well.

Lange

Smash Journeyman
Hi guys got invited by Macchiato to come chat and join among the Zeldas here, if i'm kinda new to the group wont be flamed and turned away I hope *scared face*. Anyway I'm a rosa main but I secondary Zelda but im a sane rosa main no wierd stuff no cult worshop or anything xD. Hope to talk with you all if welcomed:) Thanks I love Zelda !!

Last edited:

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
Hi guys got invited by Macchino to come chat and join among the Zeldas here, if i'm kinda new to the group wont be flamed and turned away I hope *scared face*. Anyway I'm a rosa main but I secondary Zelda but im a sane rosa main no wierd stuff no cult worshop or anything xD. Hope to talk with you all if welcomed:) Thanks I love Zelda !!
:^)

I main Rosalina too now

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Well a lot of Smash characters don't exactly have personality as their strong point

Like... Most of the Mario characters. Kirby, Dedede, Duck Hunt, G&W (he's literally flat)... The Pokémon characters except Mewtwo and maybe Lucario have very minimal personality as well.
Wouldn't say the Mario characters are really flat besides Peach and maybe Junior... Kirby and DDD definitely aren't flat, and the retro characters are more about the novelty then personality. (Why play as judo man when you can be the bleeping dog from Duck Hunt?) Then the Pokemon have the anime, or at least Greninja will soon.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Could never get into traditional fighters myself. Not because of the controls, been doing Zs and full circles since '02 thanks to Megaman Zero, but because I can't get attached to cardboard characters with often little personality in gameplay.

I mean, why play as a generic shirtless judo dude when I can be Bowser or Toon Link?
What traditional fighters did you play? If you played something like Marvel vs. Capcom, then there's kind of no excuse from the Marvel part if you like Marvel or if you got into the recent Persona Arena which once again, if you played any of the Persona games, no excuse as they have established personalities and stories. Even the Capcom part can count when they had characters like Strider, Mega Man, and Zero. For me, KoF XIII, Persona, Blazblue, Guilty Gear, and Skullgirls just wins in the art style department. Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 only appealed to me because of Dante and Vergil since I didn't grow up with Street Fighter, Darkstalkers, or much of Marvel.

Street Fighter is just eh... I guess Crimson Viper is okay since I like how she fights, but that's pretty much why I play certain characters: how they play as a character and their animations. If a character has brutal attacks like Nightmare, hell yes, but if it's kind of bland, character doesn't click, etc., then eh, I don't care. That's pretty much the entire cast of Street Fighter for me which doesn't help since I wasn't into Street Fighter so I have no connection or reason to play it. Street Fighter V has only Nash. That's 1 character out of the planned 16. UMvC3 at least had Dante, Vergil, Spider-Man, Wolverine, Deadpool, Iron Fist, and C. Viper, but even then, game just didn't click. I suck at KoF and I blame the gamepad, but the animations the game has and the art style is just amazing. I'd love to play as Kyo, Iori, K', King, Leona, and Elisabeth, but I can't do the command properly. If I could, it'd be awesome to tear people up with Iori or slash my way with Leona. Characters that appeal because of how they fight and how they move. That's it for me. If there's an actual connection like Dante because I'm a fan of Devil May Cry, then that's extra points and more incentive to use them because they're not just in their home series, but in another game.

Wouldn't say the Mario characters are really flat besides Peach and maybe Junior... Kirby and DDD definitely aren't flat, and the retro characters are more about the novelty then personality. (Why play as judo man when you can be the bleeping dog from Duck Hunt?) Then the Pokemon have the anime, or at least Greninja will soon.
Super Mario Sunshine was enough to give Bowser Jr. character. Kid's just confused, looking for his mom that his dad lied to about, and is one mischievous little runt. Peach kind of can count as not really flat when she can get sassy in Super Paper Mario and I think Super Princess Peach definitely added more to her, but she is generally the sweet princess who doesn't really develop much.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
What personality does Mario even have other than being the generic hero? Luigi has the whole cowardly lion going for him but Mario really doesn't have anything. Link also doesn't show much personality most of the time (Toon Link had some moments from what I remember from WW)

Also the Pokémon of the anime are not necessarily the Pokémon of the game, see Pokémon Trainer. Greninja might fall into the same category though the recent anime leaks do seem to indicate that Ash's is this same as this one.

... Which just makes the fact that Greninja was labeled as a bad guy in a Conquest even more confusing.

Jestar

Prinsass of Hyrule
NNID
JML-64
Switch FC
2130-3831-9341
Hi guys got invited by Macchiato to come chat and join among the Zeldas here, if i'm kinda new to the group wont be flamed and turned away I hope *scared face*. Anyway I'm a rosa main but I secondary Zelda but im a sane rosa main no wierd stuff no cult worshop or anything xD. Hope to talk with you all if welcomed:) Thanks I love Zelda !!
Welcome! It's nice to see a new face. Hope you have a good time here. :zeldamelee::zelda::4zelda:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Except the Queen of course

Sassy as heck
To be completely honest I feel like Sassy Zelda is more of product of the Zelda Social rather than something inherent in Smash Zelda basically

but with zelda instead of marth

KarmaCastle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KarmaCastle
If her wave taunt and forward tilt aren't sassy well then I just don't know what is anymore.

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
To be completely honest I feel like Sassy Zelda is more of product of the Zelda Social rather than something inherent in Smash Zelda basically

More like Sakurai making Zelda have sassy animations despite her never being like that in the actual Zelda games IMO.

I like to think of the characters' "Smash personalities" as their "online personality". I know some people can act a lot different online than irl so...I just came up with that idea, lol.

Tbh it's silly but w/e.

KarmaCastle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KarmaCastle
I see them more as elegant rather than sassy when I'm not thinking like a zelda social guy
Ftilt maybe.

But the way she leans and does a royalty queen wave must be the epitome of sass.

The loop she makes is elegant and could be tainted into sass by a Zelda Socialite.

I've always thought the
Bye *****
taunt was sassy. Even as a kid.

More like Sakurai making Zelda have sassy animations despite her never being like that in the actual Zelda games IMO.
This

Edit 2:

I like to think of the characters' "Smash personalities" as their "online personality". I know some people can act a lot different online than irl so...I just came up with that idea, lol.

Tbh it's silly but w/e.
Hardly silly. Despite my massive paragraphs and incredibly witty nature online :secretkpop: I'm incredibly shy and quiet and really did just kinda lean against a wall at my tourney today for the 6 hours I was there. A few people tried to approach me but asked yes/no questions so it didn't get very far.

Nail on the head imo. Even though when it comes down to it they're just fictional videogame characters within another fictional fighting universe. This still has relevance.

Last edited:

Furret

Long Body Pokémon

characters that are lacking in characterization are often given personality to them by their supporters/fans. Kinda how link's fetish is pots

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767

What personality does Mario even have other than being the generic hero? Luigi has the whole cowardly lion going for him but Mario really doesn't have anything. Link also doesn't show much personality most of the time (Toon Link had some moments from what I remember from WW)

Also the Pokémon of the anime are not necessarily the Pokémon of the game, see Pokémon Trainer. Greninja might fall into the same category though the recent anime leaks do seem to indicate that Ash's is this same as this one.

... Which just makes the fact that Greninja was labeled as a bad guy in a Conquest even more confusing.
...wat?

I'd say that the majority have a personality.

As a huge Kirby fan, I can tell you both Kirby and King Dedede have a personality. All the main 4 does. Kirby's happy personality is charming, and King Dedede's anti-heroness and comedy is pretty great as well.

Why did you mentioned Duck Hunt? Most people remember Duck Hunt for his laugh, which is a part of his trollish personality.

Pokemon characters minimal personality is still a personality. Pikachu acts all adorable, but serious when need be, while charizard is more brutal.

Link, Mario, and G&W, I'll give you but even then, for G&W his random and out of this world personality does play a part into why people like him.

Also, ROB is kinda generic.

I mean overall, I feel it isn't fair to say "a lot" of smash characters lack personality.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
What traditional fighters did you play? If you played something like Marvel vs. Capcom, then there's kind of no excuse from the Marvel part if you like Marvel or if you got into the recent Persona Arena which once again, if you played any of the Persona games, no excuse as they have established personalities and stories. Even the Capcom part can count when they had characters like Strider, Mega Man, and Zero. For me, KoF XIII, Persona, Blazblue, Guilty Gear, and Skullgirls just wins in the art style department. Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 only appealed to me because of Dante and Vergil since I didn't grow up with Street Fighter, Darkstalkers, or much of Marvel.

Street Fighter is just eh... I guess Crimson Viper is okay since I like how she fights, but that's pretty much why I play certain characters: how they play as a character and their animations. If a character has brutal attacks like Nightmare, hell yes, but if it's kind of bland, character doesn't click, etc., then eh, I don't care. That's pretty much the entire cast of Street Fighter for me which doesn't help since I wasn't into Street Fighter so I have no connection or reason to play it. Street Fighter V has only Nash. That's 1 character out of the planned 16. UMvC3 at least had Dante, Vergil, Spider-Man, Wolverine, Deadpool, Iron Fist, and C. Viper, but even then, game just didn't click. I suck at KoF and I blame the gamepad, but the animations the game has and the art style is just amazing. I'd love to play as Kyo, Iori, K', King, Leona, and Elisabeth, but I can't do the command properly. If I could, it'd be awesome to tear people up with Iori or slash my way with Leona. Characters that appeal because of how they fight and how they move. That's it for me. If there's an actual connection like Dante because I'm a fan of Devil May Cry, then that's extra points and more incentive to use them because they're not just in their home series, but in another game.
Street Fighter, Tekken, Soul Caliber (the one with Link lol) and Marvel vs Capcom. Can't remember which I played, but I believe the MvC didn't have any Megaman characters from the 2D platformers.

This is all across the years so it's not like they're all fresh in my mind, but you can't say I didn't try either. Played at least five hours of each just searching for a character I like. Never found a one.

MvC Megaman (or at least one of them) I know is mostly a generic punch and kick character, and then Zero I wouldn't care for because I don't really care for the X series. I don't like super heros or SMT so yeah...

Mario's a lot of things. Sometimes he's more strong and calm, sometimes loud and fun loving, sometimes a goofball, sometimes too dumb to live, sometimes a big jerk. He's never entirely the same character. Kinda like Mickey Mouse.

The Pokemon invoke the anime pretty much by being the Pokemon...

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
ITT: Many users display difficulty in understanding a character's personality when it isn't verbally stated.

For example, Captain Falcon's personality in Smash does not completely differ from his in the F-Zero games since he first comes off as a loner who prides himself in driving really fast. The difference, however, is shown when he is on the battlefield which allows him to utilize flashy movements and attacks to show his power. This may be the reason why most see him as sort of a superhero-wannabe that likes to kick ass and punch really hard.

Rizen

Smash Legend
"what if I don't like tournaments"
"What if I just prefer to play wifi"
"lol tourneys"
I'm guessing you're sarcastic. Wifi's fun and can be good to get a feel for competitive smash if the connection's good. I really hate when someone has a laggy connection and just spams attack in a way that would get punished hard without the lag. It's like playing billiards on a floating yacht during a storm then claiming that makes you good. It's stupid.

Mario speak'ah like theese. He'sah Italiano, you see? Threreafor he's got the personality. :p

Link had some good moments in Twilight Princess when talking to Colin and Ilia.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Street Fighter, Tekken, Soul Caliber (the one with Link lol) and Marvel vs Capcom. Can't remember which I played, but I believe the MvC didn't have any Megaman characters from the 2D platformers.

This is all across the years so it's not like they're all fresh in my mind, but you can't say I didn't try either. Played at least five hours of each just searching for a character I like. Never found a one.

MvC Megaman (or at least one of them) I know is mostly a generic punch and kick character, and then Zero I wouldn't care for because I don't really care for the X series. I don't like super heros or SMT so yeah...
Mega Man and Roll were only in MvC1 and 2. He wasn't in X-Men vs. Street Fighter - gee, I wonder? - or Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter - gee, I wonder again - and definitely not in Marvel vs. Capcom 3 or UMvC3 which lead to fans being upset. Zero was the only one to be in MvC3 and UMvC3 over Mega Man for some reason... Seriously, Capcom, sell the goddamned franchise if you're not going to do anything with it like Godhand, Okami, Viewtiful Joe, etc.

Welp, you have The King of Fighters, Skullgirls, Blazblue, Killer Instinct, Guilty Gear, Bloody Roar - as defunct as it is -, Rising Thunder, Dead or Alive, Virtua Fighter - also defunct from what I remember -, and plenty more left to try.

Soul.

I'm guessing you're sarcastic. Wifi's fun and can be good to get a feel for competitive smash if the connection's good. I really hate when someone has a laggy connection and just spams attack in a way that would get punished hard without the lag. It's like playing billiards on a floating yacht during a storm then claiming that makes you good. It's stupid.
Wi-Fi is fun, yes. The connection part is something I can't disagree with.
Tourneys are the big thing for sure but it just depends on the player

Shrokatii

Smash Lord
NNID
thtarwarth
3DS FC
2406-5322-4533
I say screw tournaments for glory should be standard for competition

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
I keep trying to click on my notification flag and it sends me to the actual webpage the first click.

It's been a total (altogether) of an hour or two browsing smashboards today and I still can't get used to hovering over the flag instead.

Given my biggest gripe is something that's arguably a positive change I'll just get used to in a day, I have to agree. Smoooooth.
You always were able to access notifications by hovering...

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Welp, you have The King of Fighters, Skullgirls, Blazblue, Killer Instinct, Guilty Gear, Bloody Roar - as defunct as it is -, Rising Thunder, Dead or Alive, Virtua Fighter - also defunct from what I remember -, and plenty more left to try.
I've seen a lot of those in action... Skull Girls, Blazblue, Dead or Alive, and Injustice and Mortal Kombat too. I just don't see anything that really hooks me.

Top Bottom