• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Zelda Social: But also the FE Heroes Internet Cafe

evmaxy54

Smash Champion
NNID
maXywashere
Posting to say came 2nd today!!!!

Will post details later but me & EOE are now having counterpick wars because Samus is actually really good for Peach LOLOL

Nickat98

Smash Cadet
Ran into 6 of my fellow Zelda mains on FG today, taught them a lesson in some ditto matches, but really wish I could've given them some tips to help them improve :(

Except one who got really salty and said I sucked xD lol

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Wow

Some moderator from kym changed the entry from "Zelda is one of the worst characters in every smash game" to "Zelda is one of the more difficult characters to play"

Wow
like this guy doesn't understand the joke smh

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Verrry late response, but I was napping, and when I woke up, splatoon hype happened. Still wanted to address this since it is important to me.
Wuhu is definitely a great stage. In terms of fairness overall, I still think it's better than Delfino. The transformations are weird in some parts like the bridge and the volcano pit; those are kind of jank but manageable. Just that most transformations and even the main moving platform is REALLY big at times. A lot of the times because of the stage characters simply cannot approach and that severely extends the match. I'm a little on the fence on its viability competitively, so I might just need to play on it a bit more.
When it comes down to it, it's bigness doesn't actually matter. You say people can't approach, but that is only true for 2 sections. The one coming to the top of my head is the fountain, which isn't actually big, it's just because of the wall in the center.

Most of the time, if you try to run away in other areas, you just end up leaving your self in a bad position by the time the main platform comes back. Either at the edge of the platform, or off the stage entirely. Both putting you in a bad place due to being close to the blastzone, and not having many options.

Thinking about it more, KJ is most definitely the most viable of the counterpick stages IMO after the big 7 (BF, FD, SV, D64, TC, Lylat, DH). It does favour circle camping a lot as @ evmaxy54 evmaxy54 said, and those with ground mobility and/or zoning capabilities are a bit hampered, but I don't think it's that bad of a stage. Just that a lot of people will probably avoid the stage during tourneys haha
The reasoning for banning it in melee in of itself was flawed but more on that in a bit.

However, that was also melee, this is smash 4. We haven't really had the chance to test it much in Smash 4.

Going back to the reasoning why it was flawed to ban it in melee, the match was between a ganondorf and a peach. A character with meh mobility vs a character with good mobility. I mean talk about extremes.

The ultimate question. Why didn't the Ganondorf player just stage strike KJ? I mean, if it was only one or two match-ups that suffer, then surely they could've just picked a better stage.

I mean, there is no proof really that it was to the level of Mute city aerial benefit. If it isn't such a dominating strategy that all characters have to ban it against Peach than it shouldn't be banned.

One thing I'm shocked about is the fact a lot of Brawl stages are legal now just because they were okay in Brawl. I think that Delfino, Halberd and CS have turned into unviable stages, and our sm4sh ruleset seems like it still wants to copy from Brawl despite being two different games.
First off, they are viable because they are good stages. (With only Halberd being meh. I'm perfectly fine with that stage going if we can add KJ and Wuhu).

However, onto your original point, I much rather stages be proven guilty rather than how all the other stage are treated, which is proven innocent.

CS's best part is arguably the first transformation. The second one is REALLY bad because of how big it is, and how the statues can lead up to projectile blocking and extra hit boxes to people's attacks. The walkoff area is the icing to the cake of making this stage bad. I've seen players in my locals lose on that stage even though they were clearly winning because of the walkoff. The 3rd transformation is really bad despite being a "FD" clone. It almost as if the stage tilts more than Lylat and it's actually really hard to approach characters despite being a "flat" stage. I know this stage very well from my times playing Brawl, but Sm4sh made it into a stage that IMO is no longer fair anymore.
How big it is really isn't that big of a deal. The platform layout doesn't provide too much camping opportunity.

Here's the problem, you are looking at each section in a vacuum rather than as a whole. For example, your point about projectile blocking. Sure, it might sound problematic, (which it actually isn't which I will explain in a bit), but think of the other sections. Projectiles are actually pretty good in the other sections. But then here is this one section where they aren't so good. Thats what I was trying to explain to you before. Each section benefits certain characters.

For the walkoff, there is no reason anyone should be defeated by it other than being impatient. Going back to why projectile blocking isn't bad, because the statues block projectiles, the opponent can not possibly threaten you to come to their position. Then there is the fact that when the stage transitions, they are now left in a bad spot where they are at the edge of the main stage or off the stage.

So this is the part where I have to question the times you said you had trouble approaching. I'm sorry, what you said about it being difficult to approach just doesn't sound right. Especially since you should have a better time approaching than regular FD. Because it is tilting, it should give you a better way to avoid projectiles, which is the prime reason it is harder to approach on regular FD.

It sounds more like you aren't taking advantage of the stages to help you approach. Which is understandable for someone who doesn't play them a whole bunch. You also never mentioned what characters you used and who you were facing. Since characters are an important part of picking the right stages. Some characters have better approach options than others.

As for the stage tilting more than Lylat, I don't see how thats relevant for it being a bad stage. It's hard to recover on Lylat even if you are directly below the ledge. On Castle Siege, even characters with recoveries that go diagonally, I was still able to recover while directly under the ledge. I was still able to "ride it up." Is there a point where it stops your recovery? Sure, but you shouldn't be messing around down there.

As for the last statement, no it is still the most fair stage out of all of them due to how each phase checks and balances the other.

Sorry for the essay gorls ; w ;
That essay get you a F, see me after class Waifu for punishment. :happysheep:

Shrokatii

Smash Lord
NNID
thtarwarth
3DS FC
2406-5322-4533
Verrry late response, but I was napping, and when I woke up, splatoon hype happened. Still wanted to address this since it is important to me.

When it comes down to it, it's bigness doesn't actually matter. You say people can't approach, but that is only true for 2 sections. The one coming to the top of my head is the fountain, which isn't actually big, it's just because of the wall in the center.

Most of the time, if you try to run away in other areas, you just end up leaving your self in a bad position by the time the main platform comes back. Either at the edge of the platform, or off the stage entirely. Both putting you in a bad place due to being close to the blastzone, and not having many options.

The reasoning for banning it in melee in of itself was flawed but more on that in a bit.

However, that was also melee, this is smash 4. We haven't really had the chance to test it much in Smash 4.

Going back to the reasoning why it was flawed to ban it in melee, the match was between a ganondorf and a peach. A character with meh mobility vs a character with good mobility. I mean talk about extremes.

The ultimate question. Why didn't the Ganondorf player just stage strike KJ? I mean, if it was only one or two match-ups that suffer, then surely they could've just picked a better stage.

I mean, there is no proof really that it was to the level of Mute city aerial benefit. If it isn't such a dominating strategy that all characters have to ban it against Peach than it shouldn't be banned.

First off, they are viable because they are good stages. (With only Halberd being meh. I'm perfectly fine with that stage going if we can add KJ and Wuhu).

However, onto your original point, I much rather stages be proven guilty rather than how all the other stage are treated, which is proven innocent.

How big it is really isn't that big of a deal. The platform layout doesn't provide too much camping opportunity.

Here's the problem, you are looking at each section in a vacuum rather than as a whole. For example, your point about projectile blocking. Sure, it might sound problematic, (which it actually isn't which I will explain in a bit), but think of the other sections. Projectiles are actually pretty good in the other sections. But then here is this one section where they aren't so good. Thats what I was trying to explain to you before. Each section benefits certain characters.

For the walkoff, there is no reason anyone should be defeated by it other than being impatient. Going back to why projectile blocking isn't bad, because the statues block projectiles, the opponent can not possibly threaten you to come to their position. Then there is the fact that when the stage transitions, they are now left in a bad spot where they are at the edge of the main stage or off the stage.

So this is the part where I have to question the times you said you had trouble approaching. I'm sorry, what you said about it being difficult to approach just doesn't sound right. Especially since you should have a better time approaching than regular FD. Because it is tilting, it should give you a better way to avoid projectiles, which is the prime reason it is harder to approach on regular FD.

It sounds more like you aren't taking advantage of the stages to help you approach. Which is understandable for someone who doesn't play them a whole bunch. You also never mentioned what characters you used and who you were facing. Since characters are an important part of picking the right stages. Some characters have better approach options than others.

As for the stage tilting more than Lylat, I don't see how thats relevant for it being a bad stage. It's hard to recover on Lylat even if you are directly below the ledge. On Castle Siege, even characters with recoveries that go diagonally, I was still able to recover while directly under the ledge. I was still able to "ride it up." Is there a point where it stops your recovery? Sure, but you shouldn't be messing around down there.

As for the last statement, no it is still the most fair stage out of all of them due to how each phase checks and balances the other.

That essay get you a F, see me after class Waifu for punishment. :happysheep:
I was going to read all this text but I'm using the superior white theme

Rizen

Smash Legend
Wow

Some moderator from kym changed the entry from "Zelda is one of the worst characters in every smash game" to "Zelda is one of the more difficult characters to play"

Wow
Ah, the magical land of euphemism, where low budget sequels are 'direct to video movies', pooping is 'powdering one's nose', and For Glory is 'based on skill'.

Shrokatii

Smash Lord
NNID
thtarwarth
3DS FC
2406-5322-4533
Ah, the magical land of euphemism, where low budget sequels are 'direct to video movies', pooping is 'powdering one's nose', and For Glory is 'based on skill'.
bah i changed it back, but with a bit different wording to be a bit more proper. instead it says something along the lines of "one of the least viable characters"

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
I never thought it was that good. It's only good for Peach, Little Mac... ummmmm help me out here.
Well, at one point I'm pretty sure you were claiming it was better than Wind in like, 50% of MUs.

It was either Squall or Rejection. Hex maybe both.

js sis

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Man, why do all the weapon sets with Inkzooka have to come later than the original. >.>

Want to use the bucket weapon so bad, but the first that will come out is just a splash wall Inkstrike combo. Don't really like either.

Soul.

all this custom/no custom extravaganza is making me want to play default even if Thunder Wave + HSB exists.

Shrokatii

Smash Lord
NNID
thtarwarth
3DS FC
2406-5322-4533
bj joined 4 days before my birthday

Well I joined on my birthday so can I get some points for that? :happysheep:
i also have another friend who has your same birthday too haha

Last edited:
Top Bottom