• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your first impressions of Lucario

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Before Brawl: I knew about Lucario before he came out in SSBB. He was actually one of the pokemon I had in my main pokemon pearl team. I thought he was the most awesome pokemon ever, I also favored the fighting types and his steel/fighting attributes were one of a kind.And before brawl came out I was hoping for Lucario to be in it. I was very happy once I knew he was in. Although I wish they didn't kick Mewtwo out.

Brawl's release: Now when Brawl came out, I was looking forward to unlocking him. Then once I did, he didn't seem that good at first. Mostly because he didn't have a spike and he is easily edgehogged and at first it seemed like he was going to be the Mewtwo of brawl and suck.

Present: Then I started to realize how good his attributes mesh together after some time. And just like in the pokemon games, he was very unique in brawl, having the special ability to grow even more powerful as his damage % racks up. Now his potential has risen and now I can see the full extent of his awesomeness.

Those were my first impressions of Lucario, I'm curious to hear what you people's opinion was on him, before brawl, and when brawl first came out, and the present. May the Aura be with you...

manhunter098

Smash Lord
Well I guess I first started playing around with Lucario after visiting the boards here. I had used him before but didnt really make much of an impression. But when I picked him up with more serious intentions I guess I felt he was a solid character, lacking damage but not really too weak.

Now he is my main, my favorite character to use and my impression hasnt changed too much, I just play him better than I used to.

Jesterzane

Smash Rookie
Before: He was in the OU bracket of Diamond/Pear so I refused to use him. Thought he was kinda stupid.

Brawl Release: Who cares, I wanted to use Meta Knight.

Now: He is BY FAR my favourite character and I am not sure why I didn't play him before. He feels the best to control to me, and just ends up giving me more fun matches (That still end up with me winning) than the other character I use. I dunno what I'd do without Lucario. :D

mr_kennedy44

Smash Journeyman
Before: I liked Lucario when I first saw him in D/P. I used him since I love steel types.

Brawl Release: I wanted to unlock him right away so I could use him. But since I had also unlocked Snake and found that I like his playstyle I mained him instead. Same with Meta Knight and Zelda.

Now: He is one of my seconds. Incredibly fun to play as.

Zujira

Smash Apprentice
Before: He was in the OU bracket of Diamond/Pear so I refused to use him. Thought he was kinda stupid.

Brawl Release: Who cares, I wanted to use Meta Knight.

Now: He is BY FAR my favourite character and I am not sure why I didn't play him before. He feels the best to control to me, and just ends up giving me more fun matches (That still end up with me winning) than the other character I use. I dunno what I'd do without Lucario. :D
This, every single word in it.

SothE700k

Smash Lord
Before Brawl: Hmm...well this is different. This guy looks awesome! Oh wait, he builds power as he gets hurt? SIGN ME UP!

Once Brawl was released: *see him on Subspace Emissary* OMG YOU'RE AWESOME!!! *picks him up to play as* ...Wtf is this? He's too floaty! AGH! Screw him!

Present: I love the character, and I want to use him more often, but this is one of the harder adjustments for me to a character. I would love to use him as a surprise pick against people.

Azen Zagenite

Smash Champion
=^_^=

Before: Thought he looked cool in the promo pictures of D/P and used him in my party after it came out lolz.

Brawl: I wanted Lucario to be in Brawl and when he was first announced in the dojo it made me excited for brawl even more. When I first used Lucario, the playstyle/moves felt similar to melee Marth and the forward smash was so good, so I fell in love instantly lolz.

Present: Lucario is the best!

napZzz

Smash Hero
Before: Wow lucario is a bamf he looks good

When brawl came out: LOLZ lucario is so bad!

Now: Lucarios a ****ing monster ._.

Tyrael64

Smash Journeyman
Before Brawl: I had never heard of Lucario in my life. I stopped paying attention to Pokemon when Gold and Silver came out. 150 little critters is enough for me, I'm not going to memorize 200 more! I was a Mewtwo secondary mainly because of his cool-factor. When Lucario was announced, I shrugged and went "meh". I was excited about the reportedly re-vamped Bowser, and as a MGS fan, Snake looked fun, and I quickly forgot about Lucario.

Brawl's release: First thing I did was turn on SSE and power through it with my friend the night of release. When I got to Lucario and began fighting with him, my friend commented, "Bah, I don't like this guy. He's stiff." I shook my head. "Nah, this guy's pretty cool! He has a sort of flow to him...He's like a Mewtwo clone, but remixed and smoother." We kept playing through SSE, and from that point on, I picked Lucario whenever I possibly could, simply because his fighting style flowed well and looked cool.

Present: Now that I've become active in the Lucario comunity, I keep discovering more and more things about him every day. His potential is sky-high, and his hang-on-till-the-end playstyle suits my natural stubbornness in video games. I'm so addicted to Lucario, I don't even have a secondary! I have a few I mess around with for fun, but Lucario's really my main man, through and through!

G-Beast

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4442-0111-1914
before: used him/her in my diamond team(got 2 lucario's in it, my specsluke is a male, SDluke is a female) to a great extent, and with the movie, i like him alot. i was going to main MK in brawl because no one else was there i liked more, but when i saw the full brawl roster before it came out i said "screw Meta Knight!! im being Lucario!!"

brawl release: rushed into SSE to unlock him the first day, and played around with him,i like his moves, but it took me a week to start beating my friends/brother who are maining the same character they did in melee, so they had experience on me.

present: still playing him in 95% of my brawls, winning lots. enjoying him more then then falco in melee and kirby in 64 combined, but i fear his removal of smash 4 every passing day, and hoping Dark Samus, Zero, Prometheus, Pandora, or Ridley come in so i have a character i really enjoy playing when he is gone

Eisenherz

Smash Journeyman
Before Brawl: Lucario was my most absolute favorite game character, and I was so excited when I found out that he'd been confirmed for Brawl. In fact, I rushed to Gamestop and reserved a copy that same day.

Brawl's Release: The first thing I did was die 100 times in vs. mode to unlock him. He was going to be my main, even if he was the worst character in the game and it took him 5 minutes to walk across the screen.

Present: He's the only character I use.

tedward2000

Smash Champion
Before- I played Pearl, but I didnt evolve the Riolu. However... I was looking up brawl on youtube, and there was a Lucario vs Marth on created stage. The guy DT'd and I was like "ZOMG!", from there I followed Dojo religiously till Lucario was the character of the week.

Brawl release- Got there early with a friend, and camped out for a few hours with ppl, and did the tourney, (lost however, and used Kirby, there was no Lucario open). Its also where I met GG7, and i was 6th to get brawl at that gamestop. When home at 12ish, played SSE for 6 hours. Unlocking cario was my main goal.

Today- He's been my main ever since. Sure I've gotten a lot better, and at times had crappy weeks, but I've been running strong, with ever changing secondaries (currently Diddy and Kirby now). Oh and i evolved that Riolu, XD.
-t2

C.O.C.K

Smash Cadet
Gangsta. When I saw he in pkmn D/P he was my fav fighting pokemon. Close combat owned. He is very hard to use in brawl tho.

Samuelson

Smash Lord
Before Brawl came out i saw videos of him using his wallcling i was all like "HOLY SH*T DUDE!"

When Brawl came out i started to use all characters and fell in love with ZSS, Wolf and Lucario.

Now i realize that Lucario is simply the best out of the 3 and for some reason i picked up Marth as a secondary...

Timbers

check me out
Before Brawl: I had no idea who Lucario was. When everyone said "Lucario", I always assumed it was Japanese for "Lugia", lol. Despite that, my hopes weren't exceptionally high for him. After looking at melee, seeing all the poke-reps but jiggz getting a terrible wrap was like eh. So seeing a new rep coming in, I wasn't particularly amazed to see what his abilities were.

Brawl's release: Total chance of playing Lucario in classic mode (trying to unlock trophies) and I was surprised at how nicely all of his moves flowed with each other. I didn't think he was nearly as good as I see him now, though. Playstyle had to change drastically to do well with him, as if you screwed up and lost a stock you just screwed yourself, seeing as Luc has no killpower at 0%. I was never disappointed with his recovery. Having to land onstage was and is still gay considering the punishment that some characters can dish out for this.

Current Brawl: I'm not really sure how my perspective on him has changed. After finding Luc's safe moves and being able to deal damage while keeping him alive, I can see how good he really is at hurting an opponent's fresh stock when over 100%. My view on him in the beginning was that he can play both offense and defense well, but since then it's changed that Luc is primarily a defensive character, and that's how I've been playing him. He lacks the pressure game necessary to break through other character's defense. That's just how I see him, anyways.

I'm not sure where he'll end up in the future. His killmoves are obscenely slow, something I'm afraid of that as the metagame progresses, players will be able to avoid his fsmash completely when it's crucial to land it, and thus leaving us with aurasphere, uair, and bair. Not terrible, but something I've thought of a bit.

Fizzle

Smash Journeyman
Before Brawl: I don't play Pokemon. I had no idea what a Lucario was.

Brawl's release: I rarely played him at all. I thought he had good grabs and a good aerial game, but I thought his smashes are garbage. I mainly stuck with Ness, Falco, and Sheik. Shortly after, the Ness deathgrab was discovered, and I grew tired of Falco's boring CG-spike game. I still love playing as Sheik, but I realized that she would never be anywhere near the top of the tiers.

Now: Luc's playstyle warmed up to me. I loved the emphasis on spacing, I loved Luc's defensive play, but most of all I came to recognize the awesomeness of fsmash. When I saw guys like Azen and Hawk taking Luc far in tournaments, I knew I had picked a good main for Brawl.

Silvran

Smash Apprentice
Before Brawl: Lucario seems neat, wonder how he'll play...

Brawl Release: Oof, seems weak and clunky... wonder why they made him that way, seeing as how he's a fighting type... For some reason though, he just feels right to play as.

Now: Honestly, I love the way Lucario flows from one strike to the next. He seemed similar to marth at the start, then I discovered...well... the fluidity of his play, and I changed my play. A lot. I'd disagree with feeling a lot like marth or mewtwo... too unique, and neither had as flowing of a playstyle before. Not to mention that I love the versatility- you can switch tactics on the fly, and keep an opponent off balance. Looking forward to improving... off to practice!

Syran

Smash Rookie
Before: Lucario? What's that, a technique?

Release: Oh great, a floating blue furred Mewtwo with spikies sticking out of it! Let's give it a shot. I wonder if he has the same attacks; oh yeah, the orb. Of course. Man, this guy is boring, let's go watch Friends.

After: *slamming the Wii-mote on the floor, cussing* HOW'D HE DO THAT? Wtf, he jumped at least 5 times, they aren't give me a chance! NERF! Double team? Chain FP's? He's so dang cheap... looks like fun. Let's give it a try. :p

And then, I played the Pearl/Diamond series. As of now, I don't have my Wii so now when I look at my main pokemon, Lucario, I realized how much I wanted to play him. Of course, I used to play casually with him. Never lost.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Before: ...Who?

At release: This guy's pretty good. I have a feeling he'll be high-high or maybe even the bottom of top tier.

Now: ...Well, whadda ya know?

JST

Smash Apprentice
Before Brawl: didn't really care cause I wasn't planning on getting the game.

Release: Didn't care cause I didn't have the game.

Present: I now play the game competitively (But I still don't have the game), and first time I took Luc for a spin, I realized that he was deceptively difficult to use effectively. Although landing combos with Luc is WAY too much fun (Fair > fair > Dair > AA > FP CG > Fair > fair > nair always makes me lol). I also like fighting against Lucarios, as they tend to be very good players along with Marths and Snakes

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
Haha. Steel types are lame. Everyone EXCEPT lucario. The fact that he can be steel type without being lame means he can do anything. I was O_O when I found out he'd be in brawl.

bludhoundz

Smash Ace
Before Brawl's release: Cool, a new character.

Upon first playing him: Seems a little slow, but has nice moves.

Now: Not as slow as I initially thought, a well balanced character.

Ilucamy

Smash Journeyman
Once his Dojo profile came out I knew I was going to main him. My opinion hasn't changed since.

He's my second/third favorite Pokemon (I have a tie for first).

lil cj

Smash Lord
I was impressed by Lucario in the anime
and saw him as a potentially stronger version of Mewtwo when i saw him revealed in the dojo
I was planning on maining him since I used to main Mewtwo in Melee.
I do today as my 4th main, he is way better than Mewtwo was....lol

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Before: I mained M2 and Marth, and after seeing leaks of the Pokemon Movie with Lucario, I was interested in him. I saw him as a foil to the more cold, calculating nature that I saw in M2 with the more silent, emotional aspect that built Lucario.

Brawl's Release: I was initially in it for Marth, but got excited to get Lucario out. Initially, people said I had a good punishing Ike, but I felt that Lucario was quickly becoming a harbinger of destruction, and an "Aura Fortress". Having a Hadouken/Kame-Kame like attack is too good. Plus, hearing about the "benefits" of getting hurt, I knew that this character would have some of the most unusual, artistic, and most importantly, SCIENTIFIC! metagame.

Present: Lucario is too good. He's like the freak creature that Bill Nye created to get his ultimate vengeance for his show getting canceled. He rips and sears opponents like no other, his defensive game is some good stuff, but I feel that he has so many good aspects. I love his utilt, and his hitboxes are amazing. He was my only main really until I got "Brawl" Marth broken in, as he was difficult to work with initially. Lucario though is still one of my official characters that best exemplifies "metagame SCIENCE!".

jehonaker

Smash Cadet
Before release: I saw when Serebii.net leaked that Lucario was playable in Brawl. I had always suspected that Mewtwo would be cut from Brawl until the final roster was released, and I knew I wanted to at least try him to see if he meshed with my playing style.

When Mewtwo was confirmed as having been cut, I concluded that I wanted to play as him.

After I got Brawl: I was actually impressed by Lucario in relation to the rest of the cast. After I unlocked him through SSE (barring Luigi, I wasn't in a rush to unlock anyone), I started playing as him and felt that he could actually be pretty good.

I changed mains a lot in the early game of Brawl, though...I went through Luigi, Wolf, Fox, R.O.B., and Captain Falcon. But I always seemed to gravitate back to Lucario and Luigi...the former a bit more than the latter.

Presently: Lucario is my main, through and through. I like his general feel, how he moves, and that he really doesn't have trouble in the early game like it was speculated he would.

I'll probably stick with Lucario through Brawl.

Saltix

Smash Lord
I honestly hated him at first. I didn't take him as a serious threat. I tried his playstyle, and disliked it along with Falco.

Then after going through the list, Dropping Ike, Zelda, and TL, Falco and Lucario found their spots as my Mains :]

BeyondPerception

Smash Rookie
Pre-Brawl Impressions: I used a lot of Marth and Roy in Melee, so I brushed off Lucario despite the fact that it was a Steel-Fighting type in Diamond and Pearl and lacked 2 weaknesses that fighters had.

Brawl Demo Impressions: Personally, I still don't own Brawl, but I often used the demo to get a feel for characters at my local GameStop. I found Lucario and did MUCH better with him than Marth in Brawl.

Current Impressions: Lucario is my main, with Marth and Pit being secondaries. Lucario is a LOT of fun to use.

RednaXale

Smash Apprentice
When I unlocked him I loved the moves, thought "I'm gonna main this character". Then I just became really sucky with him, or other people just got better... I can't use Lucario anymore. :ohwell:

tedward2000

Smash Champion
I know I answered in this already, boo hoo.

Prebrawl- Dr.Mario! And dang lucario is sweet. (YouTube and dojo searching for cario nonstop)

Brawl night- lost the tourney, 6th person to get brawl, played SSE all the way just to get lucario.

Current- Kirbs and Lucario, all the way. Missing Dr.Mario though.

-It2

Top Bottom