• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your bad habits with Lucas

Keoki

Smash Cadet
i dont main lucus but i use him sometimes. my worst habit is messing up pkt2. lol. since its the only recovery in the game (besides nesses) that makes you control something to hit yourself, and im used to normal recoveries where you just aim at the ledge. because of this, i forget to curve my pkt around and hit myself with it. so my pkt goes up toward the ledge and i slowly fall to my death lololol

Bane84

Smash Journeyman
I'm not a Lucas user, but I see other Lucas users begin a match with PK Fire far too often...

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
I guess I wouldn't really have any bad habits with lucas.

but using my USmash when I'm desperate/losing too much is a bad habit.
the nasty nasty lagggg.

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
I have a bad habit of NOT grabbing...

And it's not just with Lucas. My grab rate has decreased almost 100% since I switched from Melee to Brawl.

I don't know why that is.

Phelix08

Smash Apprentice
I always always attack after grabbing the ledge. Idk why, but i have to be consciously thinking about or else I just reflexively press A.

And I do the same thing someone else said. If I really want to hit someone with a f smash, for example, I just do it over and over again..

PKPower

Smash Cadet
Less Nair, more Dair.

Less Fthrow, more Bthrow for damage.

Pivot grab -> Dthrow is a good killer on most of the cast at ~130% (kills MK at about 130%)

PSI Magnet more for the knockback. Can kill about as well as Dthrow can, and can catch some people off guard. I find it great for edgeguarding because you get an air stall effect and you can aim it so the enemy will fall into it. Then you can release it and they will get knocked pretty far back.

Less Usmash. Usmash is only good for when the enemy has made a major mistake, otherwise Fsmash and Dsmash are the best killer smashes.

Yeah, that's about all I try to make myself remember.

Dxt XXII

Smash Journeyman
Less Nair, more Dair.

Less Fthrow, more Bthrow for damage.

Pivot grab -> Dthrow is a good killer on most of the cast at ~130% (kills MK at about 130%)

PSI Magnet more for the knockback. Can kill about as well as Dthrow can, and can catch some people off guard. I find it great for edgeguarding because you get an air stall effect and you can aim it so the enemy will fall into it. Then you can release it and they will get knocked pretty far back.

Less Usmash. Usmash is only good for when the enemy has made a major mistake, otherwise Fsmash and Dsmash are the best killer smashes.

Yeah, that's about all I try to make myself remember.
Edge guarding with psi mag can be usefull but punished by chars who fly. Its a really usefull approach against ness, though.

Oh and something else that happens to me sometimes is if I'm on one side of the stage, knock the person to the other side, run towards them and try to PKT1 edgeguard. I forget to cancel the dash so I slide off.

Star Lucas

Smash Cadet
I have a power to ram Lucas into the side of ANY stage with PKT2. Whether it's Smashville, Lylat,Poke Stadium, I have probably rammed into the side somehow.
I most often ram end to end of a stage with the PKT2. My oponents easily dodge it xD.

After getting through that bad habit, I created another (bad?) habbit: I SFFL Na a lot.

Trozz

Smash Ace
It's pretty much the same thing for Lucas as it is for Yoshi. Just less lag. And I'm horrible at it (pushing over and z at the same time causes a roll).

Omair

Smash Rookie
I don't tilt the stick enough for a PK Thunder and use PK Freeze and fall to my death. Or I rotate PK Thunder too fast and it goes all over the place :(

dawgbowl

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-2803-2467
I never, EVER use PK freeze even when a great opportunity presents itself

I need to try and use it.

Umandsf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Umandsf
3DS FC
3927-0812-7458
Switch FC
SW-0595-8375-5017
I tend to PK Fire a few too many times. Also, I use Nair far too little (but I have that problem with all characters; not trained well enough to let go of a stick before pressing a button).

Veril

Frame Savant
PK accidents!

PKFreeze: the scourge of the b-stick. I've pretty much gotten past this annoying affect, but now I find it more difficult to b-stick neutral specials as other characters.

Doing a reverse magnet pull as opposed to a wavelanded magnet pull.

Approaching with shFair. Force of (bad) habit.

PinkMarshMallow

Smash Apprentice
I keep doing Pk fire just for fun, it annoy my friend which I think is hilarious but sometime he find a way to punish me for spamming =P and my dair =.=

:):laugh::bee::dizzy::ohwell: Smile :p:lick::chuckle::psycho:

Gaussis

Smash Ace
My mistakes/bad habits are the following:
-Too many dair approaches
-Not enough nairs
-PKF too much
-Fair against shielded opponents
-When going for the kill, I fsmash like there's no tomorrow
-Not enough tilts
-When I get desperate, I turn to PKT (**** you Ness preference)
-When I get really desperate, I use PKT2 (now that is ridiculous)
-I try to beat characters in the air

I guess that's it.

Darkwashu

Smash Ace
I recently have been abusing Up Smash near like 70%, <_<.

At least I hit it....1/50 chances of hitting arent so bad, right?:ohwell:

latios117

Smash Rookie
One of my bad habbits is up smashing to much. Also even though I have b-stick on, I don't use it.

Zephron

Smash Ace
Having Lucas being my second main, I found this thread really helpful.
Most of the posts here reflect my problems, but let's see...

Less dair, more nair.

Use more bair, dont be afraid to spike (I dont ever go for the bair spike)

Grab a little more, little more pivot grab (yes, more!)

Stop Usmashing whenever a PK freeze hits. (I'm good at mindgames with this, so it hits a decent bit, and I'm always trying to Usmash even though they're too far away. Maybe another PK freeze is the best option?

Stop smashing just to kill people. There are other ways... like grabbing! I can so relate to you guys when you talk about "ruts" thats a huge habit, and is prolly couldve won so much more if I didn't do this.

(Q: Which of Lucas's grabs kill the fastest? Fthrow or Dthrow?)

Tether grab more, the RIGHT way! (I use Sheik too, so I can kinda relate to you samus people)

Zephron

Smash Ace
I do that sometimes when trying to do PK Fire. :ohwell:

I guess one bad habit of mine when I play Lucas is PK Thundering myself off the edge, or bouncing off from it.
Yeah. That happens a decent bit when I use it offensively. Bad Lucas!

But yesterday I made the most amazing recovery I've ever made!

I was completely underneath Lylat Cruise, about underneath the middle of the stage, and I couldn't see myself. My opponent assumed me dead so he didn't grab edge. He was near it though. I PK thundered, grabbed the edge, (WOAH!) and shocked him a decent ways back. Then I later managed to dair spike him and win ^_^

Idk if you guys have done something better, but for me that was pretty awesome.

Dxt XXII

Smash Journeyman
^^Something cool that happened to me was that I was getting 3 stocked by a kirby and was on my last life, and we were on the bottom corner of FD off stage, so I just hit kirby and pkt recovered (I swear, one more millimeter and I would have missed the edge). I won the match though. Greatest comeback ever:)

Top Bottom