• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Young Link Discussion

rhan

Smash Hero
Played YL in a crew battle over the weekend.

Video should be up eventually.

Mad crowd hype.
And **** talk.
As I was playing.

rhan

Smash Hero

Lol I'm bad.

First round was against Doll who is a very good Peach player but he only had 1 stock anyway then the next round was against a local Falcon.

Didn't do so well cuz our crew started with 5 stocks each and the last 2 had 6 stocks cuz it was uneven crews but it was for pride.

SoVA vs NoVA.

It was epic all around. On both ends. So much hype for it!

AND HERE IT IS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlP7U49aQ0U

BRLNK88

Smash Ace

Lol I'm bad.

First round was against Doll who is a very good Peach player but he only had 1 stock anyway then the next round was against a local Falcon.

Didn't do so well cuz our crew started with 5 stocks each and the last 2 had 6 stocks cuz it was uneven crews but it was for pride.

SoVA vs NoVA.

It was epic all around. On both ends. So much hype for it!

AND HERE IT IS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlP7U49aQ0U
Your reads and spacing are fairly solid, but your edgeguarding needs a little work.
dtilt meteor is great when it works, but nair off stage is your best option.

AXE 09

Smash Master
So I went to a tourney in Cali this weekend and asked everyone to MM my Young Link, but almost nobody wanted to D= What's up with that!! Barely anybody has even seen it yet lol.

But I did MM 2 people and I won both of them =D I won $4 haha :p ($3 against a Sheik/Falcon, and $1 against a Pikachu).

I think I should carry around a 1.0 or 1.1 version of Melee at all times cuz YL's recovery is better in those cuz of boomerang hookshot, and that really helps me out a lot of times. It sucks when I don't have it lol.

I love Young Link! :)

I'm gonna keep playing him a lot

Hack

Smash Journeyman
Your reads and spacing are fairly solid, but your edgeguarding needs a little work.
dtilt meteor is great when it works, but nair off stage is your best option.
I beg to differ. In some situations (at least against CF), a delayed dash attack covers the options even better. If they land on stage, you obviously take your time to either pull out a dsmash or a dair, depending on percentage.

Armada

Smash Lord
Guess I should be walking close to you so I can play on that version aswell. Haven't used it once so far :p

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
I beg to differ. In some situations (at least against CF), a delayed dash attack covers the options even better. If they land on stage, you obviously take your time to either pull out a dsmash or a dair, depending on percentage.
nair is much easier though, it has the crazy long hitbox and requires far less timing.
Also as you say, that only works in some situations. Jiggs and maybe Peach are the only characters I feel nair off stage is a bad idea.
Though admittedly I do play much more Link than YL, their dash attacks are radically different.

rhan

Smash Hero
The older version is better anyway. Spin attack is hard to DI out of so it's free hits.
Main reason why I love it.

<--- Young Link/Samus main.

Free damage is always nice to get. Especially when you're a ****ty character..

Bing

Smash Master
So I went to a tourney in Cali this weekend and asked everyone to MM my Young Link, but almost nobody wanted to D= What's up with that!! Barely anybody has even seen it yet lol.

But I did MM 2 people and I won both of them =D I won $4 haha :p ($3 against a Sheik/Falcon, and $1 against a Pikachu).

I think I should carry around a 1.0 or 1.1 version of Melee at all times cuz YL's recovery is better in those cuz of boomerang hookshot, and that really helps me out a lot of times. It sucks when I don't have it lol.

I love Young Link! :)

I'm gonna keep playing him a lot

Ylink dittos? Lets dance buddy >:)

rhan

Smash Hero
1st game: You really wanted that flame spike at the end.. I love how technical you are. There are still some things I can't do consistently like edge hop bomb pull regrab. Yeah YL v Fox is ******** stupid. But you played it well. Nair/Bair shield pressure was legit.

2nd game: FD is a horrid stage. I hate it.. I honestly believe that YL needs platforms. At about 1 minute in that was soooo unsafe.. lol The tauntttt! Then your show off tech skill.. eff you.. I can't moonwalk up B edge cancel either (With YL at least). Gay Fox after that. Not much could have been done about that. I noticed that you tend to get behind him when you Nair/Bair and then you jump back in front of him. If you add in a up tilt after you land behind him it could lead into a set up. Since most players tend to either jump when someone's behind their shield or roll away. Or they stay stuck in shield. And no one wants to be stuck in shield.. Ouch on the final kill..

Would watch more but I'm lazy. <3

V Fox anyway I think it's best to just Up B that way you have that off chance of hitting him and preventing him to shine you. If you grapple then you're asking to get shined/gimped.

Side note: Big hometown smashfest today. I'm gonna be recording (If my recording software wants to cooperate). Pretty hype.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
I just got a few friendlies recorded against Tai lol. Fox is so hard to deal with =( But idc, YL is too fun :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pmktw-nBSEo#t=10m15s
www.youtube.com/watch?v=htOKpVdU2d8
Good stuff Jeff.
You've got the reads and the tech skill to make a great YL.
Got any matches against Tai's Marth? It's a garbage MU, but I'll play it against a bad or average Marth to practice my spam and spacing game. Plus once you actually get a combo going against Marth its sex.

AXE 09

Smash Master
Yo Jeff is so good. His Ylink > Armada
LOL not even close but I'll keep working on the lil guy =D Thanks man!!

And Rhan thank you sooooooooo much for all the compliments and stuff :D So freakin awesome lol. YL is so fun :)

And you too BRLNK, thank you so much <3 Those are the only friendlies I have of YL right now I think, but maybe I'll get more another time :)

Now that I think about it, I might have a tourney match up against Tai's Marth with my YL from a while ago, but I've gotten a lot better since then.

:phone:

King5280

Smash Journeyman
i just started playing y link and he's tight, what do you guys do to lead into or land downsmashes? its really hard to kill with this lil guy sometimes

King5280

Smash Journeyman
yeah i saw that but thats just what moves happen to kill. i mean more along the lines of when it works well or how to set up oppurtunities to use it.

Bing

Smash Master
Absolutely not.

2 things about that statement.

1. I actually know Axe, so obviously Im going support him over Armada(nothing against Armada)
2. Slight troll, clearly succeeded

As for getting ko's with the little guy, I use lots of bomb-Aerial combos and up-b gimps. Forward tilt is pretty decent. As for d-smash. Get Lucky... thats all I can tell you :p I think nair to d-smash can work :p

Top Bottom