• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Young Link Discussion

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
haha, I'll take that MM and then some.. Laijin got me at Pound V... My yoshi is much better now, and then some... and I actually have a better understanding of what Im doing now... ^^ I'll take any/ALL Ylink MM's... P5, i had 6 months Yoshi... now... nearly 3 years.. oh yeah let's do this! =D

I wish I could play Young Link.. :(

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
im 23

i'm also going to EVO and G3, taking mm's

vs my ylink and/or ic's

i would TAPPPPPPPPPPPP vman

rhan

Smash Hero
Does it look like I Play young link for 8 years D<
No... <3

It should be a rule that anyone who plays Y.Link for more than 7 years has to main Link.
Haha welp... Looks like I need to go to the Link boards again...

Also guys I'm trying to be more active on Smashboards. Took a hiatus from the site for a while mainly due to lack of interest in the game anymore. Might go attend a tourney or two when i get my finances together.

On the topic of age. I'm only 20.. lol 21 in June. When's EVO? I might go just to watch n chill. I need to start planning for it now though. Hopefully it's after June 24th. PARTYYYYY!

Also Laijin you still have to teach me DOTA jerk...

rhan

Smash Hero
I'm thinking of road trip. Plane tickets are 650 and I can spend a little less than that for a trip there and back.

OR

I might just ride a bus there. Yes.

Armada

Smash Lord
About Y link vs Peach/ICs etc.

One of the main things people do wrong against Y link is the fact that people for some reason seems to forget that a horrible grab means shield become much more viable.

For example everyone knows that Samus grab is really slow/bad but even so many people forget to mix up with shield after attacking her shield (upp-b is a normal move to use while Samus basically never shield grab cause it's to slow). So people know the grab sucks but not seems to understand what more chances you have.

The scenario is a bit similar with Y link against most of the cast. Y links projectiles is really good but the fact Y links grab is so slow/bad makes it very risky to grab. That means shield become even more viable against him. Peach has really good shiled so the MU might be better for her then people in this thread think.

Im not entierly sure because I never practice the MU or anything. I do think it is kinda even when I try to see the MU "in my head".

I played Y link some games with smasher89 a long time ago and that MU feels pretty good for Y link. He is super hard to grab because he is fast and the fact he use projectiles most of the time to have "safe" approaches makes it to a pretty good MU.

Keep it up Y link players =)

ElloEddy

Smash Journeyman

One of the main things people do wrong against Y link is the fact that people for some reason seems to forget that a horrible grab means shield become much more viable.

For example everyone knows that Samus grab is really slow/bad but even so many people forget to mix up with shield after attacking her shield (upp-b is a normal move to use while Samus basically never shield grab cause it's to slow). So people know the grab sucks but not seems to understand what more chances you have.

The scenario is a bit similar with Y link against most of the cast. Y links projectiles is really good but the fact Y links grab is so slow/bad makes it very risky to grab. That means shield become even more viable against him. Peach has really good shiled so the MU might be better for her then people in this thread think.

Im not entierly sure because I never practice the MU or anything. I do think it is kinda even when I try to see the MU "in my head".

I played Y link some games with smasher89 a long time ago and that MU feels pretty good for Y link. He is super hard to grab because he is fast and the fact he use projectiles most of the time to have "safe" approaches makes it to a pretty good MU.

its easy to get grabs on bad peaches lol well d-smash heavy ones ( which is like all of America )... thats freeee

..jab the shield with the right spacing and peach cant punish you for it ( sometimes you get pokes which lead to good things ) ..if they stay in shield grab and follow up with up tilts or up airs and wait for the ...... peach spam nair

and start reading how they react to that ylink shield pressure ( projectiles and lil pokes at the shield) and thats how i get grabs peach especially if there aware of projectiles and try to block them more then maneuver around them ...grabs are easy to get cause its not like peach is fast.

the rest is easy run around toss projectiles at here and nair when they try to float or just run underneath her or up air her ..
and just zone peach out

what are your guys takes on peach ylink matchup..i find it easy unless im playing bad and get hit by dumb stuff

Laijin

Smash Hero

Young Link is able to pressure shields very well, better than most characters in the game I'd argue simply because he can regrab the bomb very easily after it bounces off the shield. Very few characters can punish him for doing this so its fairly safe. He'll whittle down your shield very quickly if you shield too much. Its something I didn't notice is in your play style.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i understand where armada's coming from

our 'shield pressure' is not really pressure unless we can open up the shield. what he's saying is that people can just hold shield and wait for a moment to get out, and it's not that hard because if ylink throws a bomb, the bomb will bounce everywhere and make it hard to continue pressure. this makes it easy for the opponent to jump or wd back out of shield.

i think when playing against young link, the goal is to position oneself near young link where it becomes unsafe to pull a bomb. this is pretty hard but fast characters can do it, especially sheik

ElloEddy

Smash Journeyman
i understand where armada's coming from

our 'shield pressure' is not really pressure unless we can open up the shield. what he's saying is that people can just hold shield and wait for a moment to get out, and it's not that hard because if ylink throws a bomb, the bomb will bounce everywhere and make it hard to continue pressure. this makes it easy for the opponent to jump or wd back out of shield.

i think when playing against young link, the goal is to position oneself near young link where it becomes unsafe to pull a bomb. this is pretty hard but fast characters can do it, especially sheik
waiting in shield is dangerous ......at 70+ dmg ( which is nothing to ylink cause he can give you that in 4 attacks lol ) look what happens when you wait in shield ..and i condition my opponents to do that .....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he8o9h1U8u4

the same tactics were working on DoH ... make their shield small ..with very good placed projectiles and movement..spacing ...so they block less then bombs away lol..... then they get stuck in that situation ....high dmg dont wanna get hit and react to what they do after they shield

Bing

Smash Master
I've been experimenting with SH waveland grab. Adds a tad bit of range and is a bit of a mindgame. Doesnt really seem like something thats overly beneficial but can still be useful.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
eddy i know what you're saying. it is very annoying to try to fight young link even with the shield

but what armada is saying and what i'm saying is that the shield is an important go-to tactic to fight projectiles, because i find it stronger than evasion or catching bombs. it allows the opponent to move a little more freely while disallowing ylink to open up the opponent easily. light shielding also makes the shield both hard to penetrate and hard to whittle down.

ElloEddy

Smash Journeyman
i mean yeah i understand ..but i feel like a good ylink will turn that shielding into his strong point...

(im working on shield traps right now )
like things that will get them to block so i always get a safe grab

hopefully i get great at this stuff and make ylink viable ...and create more meta for him

Bing

Smash Master
Yeah Ylink vs Fox is very difficult, his speed and hurtbox size eliminate a lot of options, but I mean once you start comboing you can land some solid percent. Just have to play extremely safe(easier said then done lol)

Top Bottom