• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Young Link Discussion

AXE 09

Smash Master
I took 13 stocks in crews yesterday with Young Link lol. This character is so awesome :p

I also noticed that "fortress hogging" (I know that's the term used for Bowser but what do you guys say for Young Link?) Is a LOT more forgiving on Yoshi's Story than the rest of the neutral stages. I like that stage a lot more now just because of that lol

:phone:

ElloEddy

Smash Journeyman
I took 13 stocks in crews yesterday with Young Link lol. This character is so awesome :p

I also noticed that "fortress hogging" (I know that's the term used for Bowser but what do you guys say for Young Link?) Is a LOT more forgiving on Yoshi's Story than the rest of the neutral stages. I like that stage a lot more now just because of that lol

i neeed to see thissss lol ..

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Yoshi's Story has short blast zones... That should work to ylink's advantage, right?

AXE 09

Smash Master
It's just going to the ledge with your up-b by running towards the ledge lol.

Does that have a proper name for YL?

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Yo Jeff, you know how to AGT right?
You should start playing more Toon in Project M. He recovers much differently than YL, but is also has more offensive tools at his disposal.
Okami is still in your region right?

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
I've tried him out, and he's awesome but I'm too addicted to Young Link lol.

That's all good, but it would be great if you could record some matches in PM of your TL.
I'm curious how you play him. Your PM Pika looks pretty much the same aside from implementing more bair.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
awesome! very innovative! how do you do that recovery from under battlefield? is that another version 1 only thing?

lots of things i wanna steal hahahah. sh bair to double jump. lots of nice shield drop stuff. love your use of fair too. great axe! *still watching*

edit: LMAOOOOOOO THAT TWO BOMB TO DAIR COMBO ON PEACH

ElloEddy

Smash Journeyman
i honestly wish ppl would let me spam aerials like that lol .....but loving the ylink ...wondering why you dont toss more bombs since you have alot of opportunity's to

Bing

Smash Master
Axe's Ylink is too good. I find that with Ylink vs Fox I need to match the speed and aggressiveness as my opponent, the calmer they are the more I can abuse projectiles to create columns to punish in. Also, gimp like a boss.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
As amazed, as I should be... I've already seen all this.. :p (ahhhh AZ) Good stuff Jeff... :) I would say OMG you're YLink is soo good, but if you don't remember.. Like your Pikachu, I've ALREADY known this long before everyone else.. :p

Good job man, keep up the amazing work <3

Bing

Smash Master
God Damn Jeff... That was like Sex with Bombs and arrows.

The part against Wobbles was intense, I think you could probably take him in a legit set, based on that match alone though.

The rest was just... that Link was REALLY bad(Not trying to be mean) and the double bomb dair was just.. poetry.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
I agree that Link was pretty god awful, but likely a noob, so its ok.
He didn't even try to hookshot recovery.

I also agree about using YL against Wobbles in the future, I'm willing to bet its not an MU he has much experience in.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Yoshi is the secret CP to Axe's Young link.. :)

Was debating on making a YL combo video for Axe... that'll be a new challenge, i'm willing to take.. :)

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
lol the other players were pretty free compared to wobbles

but nevertheless axe was able to show off some great technology with ylink. really good!

Bing

Smash Master
Yoshi is the secret CP to Axe's Young link.. :)

Was debating on making a YL combo video for Axe... that'll be a new challenge, i'm willing to take.. :)
Seriously Do it. I'd actually love to see an AZ low tiers Video. Like your Roy, Mewtwo, Yoshi etc, Axe's Pika and Ylink and Taj's Mewtwo etc.

lol the other players were pretty free compared to wobbles

but nevertheless axe was able to show off some great technology with ylink. really good!
The Peach wasn't TOO bad, had a decent start(20 seconds) but completely died. But yeah, free.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
that falcon was bad as well sorry......i played ylink agaist hax ..mafia and slox...you cannot spam aerials ... like that lol ...mad that mu look easy
yeah, Falcon is definitely no picnic for Yink.
You can't really combo him effectively until mid-mid high percents, but he can combo you whenever he wants. He also takes FOREVER to die.

Laijin

Smash Hero
I took 17 stocks! Yay lol. Here it is :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5jA9rg6uo#t=45m50s

1st match is me vs Wobbles, and the rest is me vs people that you've probably never heard of before lol
A bunch of questions/observations I have for you:

-You are one of the very few YL players who actually realizes z-bomb drop is godlike.

-Why do you f-air more so over n-air? Preference? Or is there another reason? The disjointed hitbox is better than the combo potential/dmg of a n-air?

-Did you hookshot the wall on battlefield to recover? I steal that from you <3

-I find it pretty weird Wobbles isn't punishing you're approaches as hard as he should be(empty grabs, no hand offs) too well nor are you camping as hard against ICies as I usually do. It worked out for you though <3

-YOU EVEN DID THE HOOKSHOT BOOMERANG RECOVERY TRICK. Damn son.

-A little bit too wild there. 2 SDs :(

Thats all I had time to watch. Most of all I'm curious of your use of f-air. Explain your logic!

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
falcon is pretty easy to kill once u learn how to intercept his high recoveries
I meant more trying to kill him on-stage, none of Yink's kill moves will effectively kill until mid-high to high percents, Falcon is fat.
Anyone can edgeguard Falcon w/o too much trouble wherever he recovers, getting him off stage can be challenging (as with spacies).
Be nice if YL had PM Toon's up-B finisher, I'm hooked on that move.

AXE 09

Smash Master
Ahh thank you so much you guys :) This character is so amazing, I love him lol.

And screw you Vman! Lol <3

As for the Fair over Nair...

I feel like Fair is more safe as a spacing tool than Nair is, mostly because it's disjointed. I love Nair for cross ups, but Fair when I'm in front of them playing the spacing game or pressuring their shield.

As for that Battlefield recovery trick:
If you're under one of the sides of Battlefield and airdodge hookshot upwards, the wall will cancel your hookshot. So all you have to do is drift backwards and you'll grab the ledge. It's so awesome lol. This character has like a million tricks.

Laijin

Smash Hero
Ahh thank you so much you guys :) This character is so amazing, I love him lol.

And screw you Vman! Lol <3

As for the Fair over Nair...

I feel like Fair is more safe as a spacing tool than Nair is, mostly because it's disjointed. I love Nair for cross ups, but Fair when I'm in front of them playing the spacing game or pressuring their shield.

As for that Battlefield recovery trick:
If you're under one of the sides of Battlefield and airdodge hookshot upwards, the wall will cancel your hookshot. So all you have to do is drift backwards and you'll grab the ledge. It's so awesome lol. This character has like a million tricks.

Interesting. I'll try both out.

Bing

Smash Master
That battlefield trick... thats amazing, I was super curious about that too. As for fair, I agree that fair is better for spacing, Nair has very little knockback, so if someone CC's it, free punish basically.

Laijin

Smash Hero
That battlefield trick... thats amazing, I was super curious about that too. As for fair, I agree that fair is better for spacing, Nair has very little knockback, so if someone CC's it, free punish basically.
The thing about n-air is that it leads to more combo potential. Its easy chain n-airs on floaty characters. Also I disagree with the "little" knockback, if you time your n-airs correctly they should have good knockback on the initial start up. Getting crouch cancelled while Young Link should almost never happen. You have options to avoid it unlike other characters. Just rack up damage first before going in.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
too good axe

brlnk 88, the goal shouldn't be to kill falcon from the middle of the stage, but simply to knock him off. it's not too hard to link a bomb into a nair, or a couple uairs and then a nair. this alone is enough to get him off stage and force him to jump and eventually up B. the hardest problem with falcon is keeping him off you when you want to pull bombs. we end up having to fight his aerials with our aerials sometimes, which is difficult

ElloEddy

Smash Journeyman
i w...was wondering if someone could put up a thread newer explaining some ylink things..

like in depth Glitch tutorials and help
hook-shot to the ledge
bomb /arrow stalling ..which is so hard to do idk how axe does is so often =/

p.s i wanna see a ylink tech skill vid =D lol

AXE 09

Smash Master
A Ylink techskill vid would be so awesome!

If it helps, I can explain how I do bomb/arrow stalling.

I normally use X to jump, but this is one of the rare occasions that I switch to Y.

I basically put my thumb over the Y and B buttons at the same time. So when I do it, it looks like my right thumb hardly moves at all. So I just press down on the control stick, then Y with the upper part of my thumb, and then B with the lower part of my thumb (close to my joint).

I hope that helps lol.

Also, there's an AZ tournament tomorrow, and I plan on using Ylink in some important matches, so more vids might be coming your way lol. This character is amazing

Bing

Smash Master
Won a small local tournament this past weekend going all Young Link. No notable names or anything but was still fun.

Also guys,Impulse 2013 was just announced and I'm a co-host... so... you should like... go.

Top Bottom