• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You get no Sympathy in a "Fire Emblem Discussion"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
The fact that I still see more people asking for Roy in Japan than Chrom makes me think that his chances are still good.

On a sidenote about Chrom, I have not seen a lot of people actually like him. From what I have seen, there is more people that liked My Unit and Lucina than Chrom.

I think a lot of Chrom's support (especially on places like GameFAQs) is the belief that he is "inevitable" or "the most likely character to get in Smash 4". Whenever the topic comes up as how to make Chrom interesting, people grasp at straws (saying that Chrom could take attacks from other classes due to the class change feature in FE13) or simply saying "he would be different from Ike so shutup".

I have seen very little genuine Chrom support.

D

Deleted member

Except it's not grasping at straws, given the fact Ness and Lucas borrow moves they can't even use. As well as Marth's and Ike's moves essentially being made up for Smash aside from Aether and possibly Counter.
Chrom is notably very different from Ike going by what people who've played the game say (like Tri). Even his Aether is nothing at all like Ike's.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Chrom is notably very different from Ike going by what people who've played the game say (like Tri). Even his Aether is nothing at all like Ike's.
Even Tri has been saying Chrom will probably end up being a luigified clone. There is really not much for Chrom to base his moveset off of in FE13, and Aether in FE13 (even for Ike) simply has a different animation, and its really just two consecutive attacks with the Sol and Luna skills in them. FE13's Aether would not work as a special move.

Also, I highly doubt if I went and made a moveset with Roy using fire magic people would give me the same sort of leniency about borrowing moves from different classes.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah, Chrom could be made different than Ike or Marth, especially since Sakurai doesn't base many FE moves off actual in-game attacks, like Golden said, so I'd agree being original isn't too much of a problem if Sakurai is determined to make Chrom unique, but I do agree that Chrom's support does seem to stem from expectation more than desire, though I have seen some genuine Chrom support as well, though not nearly as much as Roy.

Personally, I quite liked Chrom in Awakening (not as much as Lucina though, and some minor characters), but I still don't particularly support him for Smash, just because comparatively he isn't among my favourite lords in the whole series, and frankly I'm more interested in what other FE characters (even just a semi-cloned Roy) have to bring over him. Truthfully the prospect of another blue-haired swordsman just doesn't interest me anymore. This is just my opinion of course.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Except it's not grasping at straws, given the fact Ness and Lucas borrow moves they can't even use. As well as Marth's and Ike's moves essentially being made up for Smash aside from Aether and possibly Counter.
Nah, Marth and Ike's movesets are actually very well made. Lot's of moves are actually used by them.

D

Deleted member

Animations =/= moves.

Marth never did anything remotely similar to Shield Breaker, Dancing Blade, or Dolphin Slash in his games.
Counter is merely based on the concept that characters can immediately counterattack in the series, and Critical Hit is based on pretty much the luck factor with the same name in attacking.

Eruption is also something Ike never did (and before you bring up the Bolganome spell, Ike never did that, and if it WAS the very spell, it would be called as such in Brawl and not "Eruption"), neither is Quick Draw. Those were made up for Smash.
Don't even get me started on Great Aether.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
and Aether in FE13 (even for Ike) simply has a different animation
WTF? I am disappoint.

I won't deny that Chrom could be given a completely original moveset, but honestly I don't see that happening. I don't see anything special in Chrom's fighting style and he wields the same weapon as Marth. That said, being a semi-clone most certainly doesn't hurt his chances completely, Roy ironically will also most likely end up a semi-clone as well.

Anyway I thought Chrom was okay in Awakening, though nothing really caught my interest in him like Ike or Marth have. My Unit/Avatar, I really think, hindered his character throughout the game.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Dancing Blade is kinda inspired on the Astra / Meteor Sword attack skill from FE4 (and later also FE9, 10 and now 13). It's based on the concept to double attack. Shield Breaker is fitting, cause Marth uses rapiers, which are in FE used to break through heavy armored units and horseback fighters. He used to attack in FE1 very similar to how he does in Smash with his Forward Smash as well.

Quick Draw is one of Ike's critical animations in Path of Radiance. Forward Tilt is kinda how Ike attacks in Radiant Dawn, and as a Lord class in Path of Radiance. Forward Air is used in a cutscene. There's also Aether of coarse (which could be much more flashy). And his AAA combo is based on how he attacks as a Ranger. Eruption is a blasmeshy in creation though yeah.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Eruption is also something Ike never did (and before you bring up the Bolganome spell, Ike never did that, and if it WAS the very spell, it would be called as such in Brawl and not "Eruption"), neither is Quick Draw. Those were made up for Smash.
Don't even get me started on Great Aether.
Quick Draw is the same exact animation as one of Ike's criticals in FE9.

Eruption is speculated to have originally belonged to Roy (since Ike was originally supposed to have had the Ragnell's ranged attack as one of his specials).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Can I say now that I really really hated Eruption and still don't get it when I play Ike that he has that move?

I think I can...

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I think if we get both Roy and Chrom, there will never be another swordwielding FE character added to Smash Bros.

I also concur that Chrom being a "Lucas/Wolf" won't hurt his chances. I think its even possible we get someone from Pikmin 3 that is a luigi-fied clone of Olimar (assuming Olimar does not even appear in that game).

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It obviously would've made more sense for Roy to have Eruption (and he probably would've), but the only part of Eruption that bugs me is that the flames are, well, standard flame colour. Ike is the Hero of the Blue Flames, they should be, oh, I dunno... blue. :rolleyes::glare:

Project M to the rescue again... :p

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
@N3ON: Yeah. His sword flames should have been blue. In Radiant Dawn, there's a part where his sword becomes engulfed with blue flames.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
It's actually rather funny to see just how much of their movesets are based on their animations, even those "History Behind Smash Bros." videos don't get them all.

Also Project M switched to blue flames? I may dislike the casual vs competitive motives behind Project M, but man do I like the moveset ideas they come with.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
Guys in FE13 the Animation staff was pretty lazy, the fact that skills don't have special animation is an indicator of that....the animation is very stiff in that game which reminds me of FE4 and FE5, so Aether animation remains the one from Radiant Dawn and Path of Radiance.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
Guys in FE13 the Animation staff was pretty lazy, the fact that skills don't have special animation is an indicator of that....the animation is very stiff in that game which reminds me of FE4 and FE5, so Aether animation remains the one from Radiant Dawn and Path of Radiance.
If I remember correctly, each class has several different animations they can use for an attack (I.E. I can remember several instances of Virion jumping into the air before firing), versus the GBA games two (one for normal, one for crit). I can't speak for 9 and 10 as I haven't played them yet. Also, Aether is changed. Moves horizontally versus vertically. If you're refering to its effect, of course it's unchanged. If it's effect and animation are changed, what keeps it an Aether?

D

Deleted member

Hey guys how about making Chrome and Lucina a duo character?
That's an idea I had to represent both charcters (who are popular, important, and rather similar), as well as the team up system.
Unlike Ice Climbers, I can see the two alternating attacks.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Chrom could have a bow or ride a horse, I guess

Edit: Oh, I just thought up an idea. What if Chrom had a partner that interacted with him because of the pair up mechanic.

Either the avatar, or Sumia

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I see no reason why they can't add a bow to his normal moveset to show he can be turned into an archer.

---

He can be reclassed to have a bow

He can be reclassed to ride a horse

AND he can be reclassed to have a bow AND ride a horse.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Why the heck did they pick archer and cavalier as his other classes? It doesn't seem to fit him at all

I guess cavalier does, but archer is just random

Supermario12

Smash Apprentice
I said somewhere here on the forums before that Chrom would be a fast character while Marth would be more of a quick character. Then they could bring Roy or Ike back as stronger characters.

I also think that Luinca is in a good position to get in the game. I'm playing through awaking know

**SPOILERS**
Luinca is chroms daughter
She does plays kinda a big role, however shes chrom's daughter....so shes the heir throne/falcon. I think there's a good chance of her being the main character of the next game. She's a girl too, people seem to want more girl characters.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
IRL it's the first born male that is heir to the throne, and Chrom can have one of 2 possible sons.

Also, you really shouldn't use fast and quick in that way, because it's inaccurate.

Supermario12

Smash Apprentice
IRL it's the first born male that is heir to the throne, and Chrom can have one of 2 possible sons.

Also, you really shouldn't use fast and quick in that way, because it's inaccurate.
In the game shes the heir, they talk about it in the game. And her weapon is the falcon too, obviously chroms legacy is passed down to her

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
One can say thats where its inspired from since Ike IS the only mercenary class in FE9 and FE10 (only lacking the axes in promotion in FE9)

And i know i mentioned this before.. Chrom's final smash should be him pairing up with Lucina and they unleash cool stuff. Or become an OP version ice climbers ahahaha

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I've decided that Donnel is my favorite male unit, so I paired him with my favorite female unit Lissa.

I say we make a donnel/ lissa team instead of Chrom

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
If we want to play favorites then give me MyUnitxSevera

Actually MyUnit would make a good assist trophy. He could do something random relating to to one of the fire emblem classes. Both a male and female one would be 50/50 so you could get gender specific classes like berserker and falconknight (though this would be too much work for just an assist trophy, maybe make MyUnit his own item like a pokeball xD)

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
If we're going favorites, Lon'qu and Miriel, or Sully and Stahl, man my pairings are awesome, I'm so glad I got this game, haven't had this much fun/hype since ODST.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Why the heck did they pick archer and cavalier as his other classes? It doesn't seem to fit him at all

I guess cavalier does, but archer is just random
Guess they wanted to give you the option of having a 'Archer Lord' which is something Fire Emblem never did yet.

Next game, I want them to have a male Archer Lord, and a female Mage Lord. Togheter with the Green and Red Armor Knights, as opposed to have Green and Red Cavaliers. I think that would be sexy.

OmegaRS

Smash Apprentice
Guess they wanted to give you the option of having a 'Archer Lord' which is something Fire Emblem never did yet.

Next game, I want them to have a male Archer Lord, and a female Mage Lord. Togheter with the Green and Red Armor Knights, as opposed to have Green and Red Cavaliers. I think that would be sexy.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Lyn was able to use Bows.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I'm pretty skeptical that we are going to get Roy given that Awakening is guaranteed a rep and FE almost certainly will not get more than 3 reps (if that). As such, Roy would need to replace Ike, and I don't see that happening.

My money's on Marth and Chrom for sure (he just makes sense, as it'll be good cross-promotion and Chrom does have a good amount of fans) and potentially Ike or Lucina if FE gets a 3rd slot. Also possible for Lucina to replace Marth, though that would seem much less likely.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'm pretty skeptical that we are going to get Roy given that Awakening is guaranteed a rep and FE almost certainly will not get more than 3 reps (if that). As such, Roy would need to replace Ike, and I don't see that happening.
We shouldn't talk in certainties until E3 comes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom