• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You get no Sympathy in a "Fire Emblem Discussion"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Who would canoncally be the strongest Lord character in the series you'd think? My vote goes for Ike. :ike:

D

Deleted member

That came from something I saw on NeoGAF. I need to look back and see who I got it from. If I ended up getting it from cedynm (the same guy who said those various things pertaining to the Melee roster), take it with a grain of salt.
I'm more willing to beleive him, since I actually recall in the past seeing something about how Falco was chosen over Wolf as the clone in Melee due to Falco being more popular at the time and standing out from Fox more in appearance. This was long before I even started out on any forum.
Honestly, he was banned unjustly as he wasn't proven to be wrong; just not proven to be true yet. As ViewtifulGene on Gamefaqs says, "The absense of proof is not the proof of absense."

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
That user was banned for that post due to lack of proof Chrono told me.

D

Deleted member

Yet he was not proven to be wrong. While he could not supply the proof himself (and even said as such), he mentioned a source that he said to check rather than stated the information with no mention of an outside source.
The only way a ban would be legitimately warranted, is if said source did not contain the information he gave. However, it was never proven either way.
So what does that mean? That if someone manages to find the old Famitsu he stated contained the information, and it actually contains it, he would have been banned for nothing.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Zelda has two titles on Wii, and even the Wii U will have Wind Waker HD and Zelda Wii U. It's possible that in a couple of years they'll make a Fire Emblem Wii U. Series which do well tend to have spin offs. So, Fire Emblem has a spin off. And cause it does well, it'll likely have a game to.
Yeah, even though FE hasn't performed as well on consoles as it has on portables since the SNES, I'd wager with FE's new surge of popularity it wouldn't be too unrealistic to expect it to eventually head to the Wii U as well (as FE14, not just SMTxFE).

Even if we got a poll, at this point I highly doubt it would change the roster.
I agree, the best time for a poll would've been almost a year ago, and even then I wouldn't be convinced Sakurai would actually use the results that thoroughly. At this point I suspect a poll would only impact who becomes an AT or for future Smash games. We're almost definitely not going to get a poll this time around, but seeing as Sakurai makes the majority of the roster decisions without a current one, I still have faith he'll make good choices, for the most part.

I'm more willing to beleive him, since I actually recall in the past seeing something about how Falco was chosen over Wolf as the clone in Melee due to Falco being more popular at the time and standing out from Fox more in appearance. This was long before I even started out on any forum.
Honestly, he was banned unjustly as he wasn't proven to be wrong; just not proven to be true yet. As ViewtifulGene on Gamefaqs says, "The absense of proof is not the proof of absense."
Still, one questionable source says one thing and another professional translator for an official publication says another. Overall, it really only effects Golden Sun, and it's definitely possible Sakurai's views have changed since that quote, so either way, it doesn't really matter too much at this point.

Plus, true until proven false isn't a great way to look at things in Smash speculation. :ohwell:

D

Deleted member

Never said "true until proven false". Stop putting words in my mouth.
There's more than "true" and "false". There's the inbetween; the "unproven". That's where the things cedynm said lie into, in the limbo of the purgatory that is unproven.

And while possible, I highly doubt they would have changed with the mediocracy that is Dark Dawn, but that's for the Golden Sun discussion, which reminds me, I still need to make my response there.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Believing things without proof isn't as prudent as not believing things until proof is given. I'm not saying he's wrong, I wasn't even trying to speak specifically, I'm just saying it's always better to air on the side of caution when something is unsubstantiated rather than treat it as the probable truth, even if not the definite truth. It's quite easy to provide something that sounds legitimate but can never (or is very unlikely to) be proven one way or another, so even if believable, it shouldn't really be given extra credence without proof.

Again, I'm not speaking about this situation specifically, although it does apply.

D

Deleted member

Which is horribly irrelevant to this discussion other than me mentioning that I am more inclined to believe it, given what he says sounded familiar in certain aspects. If I want to believe it, that's my business, and you have no place to tell me I shouldn't.

I'm also not saying it SHOULD be believed, so again, stop putting words in my mouth. I'm saying that the guy was unjustly banned from a forum because his statements were not proven true rather than being proven to be false information.

It's like sentencing someone to death because they couldn't relay proof of their claim of say, **** Cheney being an alien from Mars hellbent on taking over the world. They claimed the information comes from a hidden document that Cheney personally wrote, but rather than trying to find said document to prove him right or wrong, the accuser is killed. At that point, it doesn't matter if he was right or wrong, he's dead either way (and in this case, if he was right, then Martians will attack the Earth without anyone suspecting a thing at any time).
A bad example, but it's the only one I could think of that made sense.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Which is horribly irrelevant to this discussion other than me mentioning that I am more inclined to believe it, given what he says sounded familiar in certain aspects. If I want to believe it, that's my business, and you have no place to tell me I shouldn't.

I'm also not saying it SHOULD be believed, so again, stop putting words in my mouth. I'm saying that the guy was unjustly banned from a forum because his statements were not proven true rather than being proven to be false information.

It's like sentencing someone to death because they couldn't relay proof of their claim of say, **** Cheney being an alien from Mars hellbent on taking over the world. They claimed the information comes from a hidden document that Cheney personally wrote, but rather than trying to find said document to prove him right or wrong, the accuser is killed. At that point, it doesn't matter if he was right or wrong, he's dead either way (and in this case, if he was right, then Martians will attack the Earth without anyone suspecting a thing at any time).
A bad example, but it's the only one I could think of that made sense.
I said twice that I wasn't speaking specifically of that particular situation, so you assuming I've told you to believe one thing or the other is putting words in my mouth. ;)
All I said is taking someone at face value (without proof) isn't a prudent as if they have proof (which is true), and that even if something is believable, it shouldn't necessarily be believed, but nowhere did I say it couldn't be. Believe what you want.

I did forget to mention that I was speaking specifically to do with Smash speculation, because I agree that mentality isn't the best for every situation.

And at this point I also agree that this is no longer relevant, so I'll drop it.

D

Deleted member

Damn, I forgot that Smashboards censors the short name for Richard because of the slang it is used for...

Alright, I didn't realize that you weren't talking in regards to the guy that got banned. Sorry.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ok so now for some Fire Emblem related stuff, apperantly, Ike THROWS his sword now as a ranged attack for Ragnell in Awakening. :/

Okysho

Smash Ace
I'm sure we're all aware, Ragnell always had a ranged attack. The portable FE games aren't really known for their "beam/slashing beam" type of attacks (Shadow Dragon and New mystery being the exceptions) but Ike throwing Ragnell? Doesn't seem like his thing to me...
What happened to that big epic slash that sent a magic blade screeching through your enemies?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The Ragnell is kinda cracked, and all old in Awakening though, so it might've lost it's ability to shoot lasers. It also has about 25 uses now (lol). So that works against it as well. So I guess Ike just didn't feel like giving up on his ability to have a ranged sword attack? Also, he did throw his blade for a bit while doing Aether in PoR / RD so... Still, it looks weird as ****.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
The Ragnell is kinda cracked, and all old in Awakening though, so it might've lost it's ability to shoot lasers.
Yeah, somebody should see about getting that sh*t fixed. Kinda makes you wonder what's been going on in the FE world.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think a couple of hundreds of years can do that to any sword. Except Falchion of coarse. :rolleyes:

Okysho

Smash Ace
Falchion FTW My favourite Sword by far (not a real one, that prize goes to the Bas-tard sword).

I find it a little strange that Ragnell would get old and busted, seeing as how it's a blessed sword and doesn't lose durability when used...

but as long as Mr. Important (Falchion) keeps it's sheen and ass-kickery that's alright then.

That being said though, if the Ragnell can break down, what does that say about the other "Legendary" Fire Emblem swords? Vogue Katana, Sword of Seals, Murcirius sword, Iote's Shield?

Sorry, that's a bit off topic...

The rumor that the player roster for Smash Brothers will stay at about 35 according to Sakurai, this brings to light that Fire Emblem might still have only two representatives. Marth being the obvious first choice, if you guys had no other choice, which character do you think deserves to have that second slot the most?
Strangely enough, my vote still goes for Ike since he's had the most representation besides Marth within the series and his history as a heavy fighter still makes him more unique than "Clunky Clone Roy" (Not that I hate Roy, that was just my nickname for him cuz he was a heavier character). I personally would like to see Sheeda (Screw the North American butchered localization) but I know that probably won't happen. An Assist trophy would be nice though

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I find it a little strange that Ragnell would get old and busted, seeing as how it's a blessed sword and doesn't lose durability when used...

but as long as Mr. Important (Falchion) keeps it's sheen and ***-kickery that's alright then.
Yeah, kindof a double standard.

That being said though, if the Ragnell can break down, what does that say about the other "Legendary" Fire Emblem swords? Vogue Katana, Sword of Seals, Murcirius sword, Iote's Shield?
Like I said, it makes you wonder what's going on in the rest of the Awakening world.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I still don't get why it's called Falchion when it's clearly not a falchion

D

Deleted member

Guys, the Falchion is said to have had to been broken and reforged, which is why the damn thing looks different from when Marth used it.
Ragnell, while cracked, has yet to be broken to a point that it needs to be reforged.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Guys, the Falchion is said to have had to been broken and reforged, which is why the damn thing looks different from when Marth used it.
Ragnell, while cracked, has yet to be broken to a point that it needs to be reforged.

Okysho

Smash Ace
Nice one Swampasaur!

True, "The Falchion" isn't "A falchion" but it looks really awesome and has a sweet name. That's good enough for me in my own naive little fire emblem world.

Also Golden Yuiitusin, source? (I haven't played Fire Emblem Awakening, no 3DS)

D

Deleted member

What, I'm supposed to supply a source for what is said in the game?

It's in a support conversation between Lucina and Owain. Lucina mentions that the sword was broken and reforged at some point in history.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Maybe it's original form was a Falchion and it was just reforged and the person that reforged it didn't realize what the word meant

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Maybe it's original form was a Falchion and it was just reforged and the person that reforged it didn't realize what the word meant
"Hey dude, did you fix my sword?"
"Huh? Your what? Whatever, your axe looked really weird but don't worry I fixed it."

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
No, it was reforged from the version seen in the Akaneia games to what is seen in Awakening.

[collapse="Akaneia"]
[/collapse]

[collapse="Awakening"]
[/collapse]

Neither of those are Falchions.

Okysho

Smash Ace
Smith: "Hello! Welcome to Nintendo Armory, how can I help you today?"

Prince Marth: "Hello there, I've come to pick up my extremely important, legendary, magically enchanted dragon-slaying blade of awesomeness."

Smith: "Here you are my lord, that's 3000 gold pieces."

Prince Marth: "Um... are you sure this is the right sword?"

Miyamoto: "He's asking too many questions!! Silence him if he persists!!"

Prince Marth: ".... I'll just go..."

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Was it MADE in the Arkaneia games? It could have been reforge multiple times throughout history

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, yeah I guess the first time the Falchion was used for warfare was before the Arkaneia games, by Anri specifically. Later it was used by Marth, like a century or two later. And then, much later Chrom and Lucina used it.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
Aslong I'm the OP of the thread, I need to set some ground rules:

1. Topics that are non-Fire Emblem related are forbidden.
  2. You can talk about anything Fire Emblem related if it had to do with SSB4.
  3. No Flaming allowed (it's obvious)
  4. You are allowed to put Spoiler of every Fire Emblem game before Awakening.
  5. This is more of a notice, but if you are planning to play any Fire Emblem game before awakening don't read this thread.
  6. Fire Emblem: Awakening Spoilers need to be put in spoiler tags.

And Have fun! :)

BTW I want someone to repost this post, because maybe someone muted me or something...

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Aslong I'm the OP of the thread, I need to set some ground rules:

1. Topics that are non-Fire Emblem related are forbidden.
  2. You can talk about anything Fire Emblem related if it had to do with SSB4.
  3. No Flaming allowed (it's obvious)
  4. You are allowed to put Spoiler of every Fire Emblem game before Awakening.
  5. This is more of a notice, but if you are planning to play any Fire Emblem game before awakening don't read this thread.
  6. Fire Emblem: Awakening Spoilers need to be put in spoiler tags.
And Have fun! :)

BTW I want someone to repost this post, because maybe someone muted me or something...
Done and done.

Okysho

Smash Ace
Well, yeah I guess the first time the Falchion was used for warfare was before the Arkaneia games, by Anri specifically. Later it was used by Marth, like a century or two later. And then, much later Chrom and Lucina used it.
This much is true, BUT the screenshots for the Arkaneia games, specifically Shadow Dragon, show Anri using "The Falchion", the way it looks when obtained earlier in the game. As a result, I don't think it was reforged at all during the time it was in the care of the Altean royalty and when Marth took it up to defeat Medeus.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
While I'm 99% sure that if we get a rep for Awakening it will be Chrom or Masked Marth, but:
Do you think it's possible that Paris will appear in SSB4 in some way or another?

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I want seven clones of Marth, all with only slight tweeks in strength and speed. And one clone of Ike with all of Marth's moves.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Sorry if I'm missing something. I didn't want to go through all 20 pages of this thread.
Its been a while since I've been to this site and I wanted to see who people thought would be in the next smash bros. I'm actually surprised I haven't seen any mention of a certain FE character no matter how much I looked.
A lot of people claim that FE will be getting three characters into the next game and if i had to guess I'd put my money on these three right here.

Tactician, Chrom, "New Marth".
The devs want to be up to date. I think Chrom will be replacing Ike but keeping similar moves but with slightly adjusted animations and "New Marth" might be replacing Marth while retaining the same moveset. Keep in mind FE radiant dawn was released slightly before or after (depending on where you live) Brawl and FE shadow dragon was coming after that. Making Marth and Ike the current FE reps for brawl. Now the torch is passed to Awakening. Although, the thing I'm most uncertain about is "New Marth" because they may just keep Marth since hes the first FE protagonist.

But I feel certain the Tactician will make an appearance. Its a perfect excuse to put in a FE character that relies heavily on magic. He uses a sword and a tome (unless they want to ignore the sword like they did with ganondorf), which gives him a moveset with enough possibilities to make it in.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Would it make more sense for Chrom to replace Marth since they use the same sword?

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Would it make more sense for Chrom to replace Marth since they use the same sword?
The marth in awakening uses the falchion too. And Chroms built more like ike imo. Not really the type who dances around jabbing people with a rapier as much as the cleave people with a large sword type.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom