• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You get no Sympathy in a "Fire Emblem Discussion"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
If there is a third FE rep, I would wager on Chrom rather than Roy. Chrom could be a blend of Ike's and Marth's attacks which would be unique for a clone type character.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
The devs want to be up to date. I think Chrom will be replacing Ike but keeping similar moves but with slightly adjusted animations and "New Marth" might be replacing Marth while retaining the same moveset. Keep in mind FE radiant dawn was released slightly before or after (depending on where you live) Brawl and FE shadow dragon was coming after that. Making Marth and Ike the current FE reps for brawl. Now the torch is passed to Awakening. Although, the thing I'm most uncertain about is "New Marth" because they may just keep Marth since hes the first FE protagonist.
Masked Marth's not really Marth.

Replacing Marth is one of the dumbest ideas you could possibly have. Marth is the first FE Protagonist, and is the FE protagonist with the most appearances(which is no small feat).

I doubt Marth inclusion had anything to do with Shadow Dragon. Also, I doubt we'd get more that one character per FE game. Assuming we get 3 characters, I see it as Marth and some combination of Ike, Chrom, and Roy.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
I seriously doubt they'll take any FE character from a game over 10 years old without some sort of remake coming up. That includes both Roy and Lyn.
Masked Marth's not really Marth.

Replacing Marth is one of the dumbest ideas you could possibly have. Marth is the first FE Protagonist, and is the FE protagonist with the most appearances(which is no small feat).

I doubt Marth inclusion had anything to do with Shadow Dragon. Also, I doubt we'd get more that one character per FE game. Assuming we get 3 characters, I see it as Marth and some combination of Ike, Chrom, and Roy.
Marth is the first FE protagonist in Japan only. To be fair, for the rest of the world that title goes to Eliwood.
Plus Shadow dragon didn't do too hot in sales. Who knows what they'll read that as.
ALSO i said i wasn't certain about that. Don't bite my head off.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Popularity is a factor. that's why Marth, Roy and Lyn were among the first DLC's for Awakening.

•Col•

Smash Champion
If there is a third FE rep, I would wager on Chrom rather than Roy. Chrom could be a blend of Ike's and Marth's attacks which would be unique for a clone type character.
Roy could just as easily be a blend of Marth/Ike, it'd probably even work better than Chrom. Ike's eruption was most likely meant to be for Roy anyway...

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Roy could just as easily be a blend of Marth/Ike, it'd probably even work better than Chrom. Ike's eruption was most likely meant to be for Roy anyway...
Except that Roy is not relevant anymore. If both can be a blend of Marth and Ike, I bet Chrom gets in over Roy.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Except that Roy is not relevant anymore. If both can be a blend of Marth and Ike, I bet Chrom gets in over Roy.
Roy's just as relevant as Ike is nowadays...

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I think Ike is more relevant to Smash brothers than Roy. He made it over Roy in Brawl. He has a burte strength style as opposed to Marth's finesse style. Ike was already picked over Roy.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think Ike is more relevant to Smash brothers than Roy. He made it over Roy in Brawl. He has a burte strength style as opposed to Marth's finesse style. Ike was already picked over Roy.
But they were both intended to be in the game.

That's like saying Lucario is more relevant than Mewtwo because he made it into Brawl.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Lucario might have been more relevant because he made it into Brawl, if it weren't for outside factors like his appearance in the upcoming movie. Smash appearances aren't the only thing that determines relevance

Bowserlick

Smash Hero

That's like saying Lucario is more relevant than Mewtwo because he made it into Brawl.
Sakurai had limited time to work on characters. He could of picked Ike or Roy. He picked Ike. That happened. By this pattern, if there is an FE lord, I say chances are it is Chrom over Roy.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Pattern based analysis: Don't shoot me for it; Open to interpretation. ;)

Every lord who has appeared in Smash is present as a playable, an NPC or DLC in two or more games.

Marth - FE1, FE3, FE11, FE12, FE13
Ike - FE9, FE10, FE13
Roy - FE6, FE7, FE13
Lyn - FE7, FE13

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord

Roy's game was the newest FE game when melee came out that's why he was in it. 7 games have come out since then. Roy's chances are close to none.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I really don't think we need any more lords unless they bring something special, something unique to the table.

Allow new sword characters from other worlds to represent new swordplay such as Ghirhim, Shulk, ect.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Pattern based analysis: Don't shoot me for it; Open to interpretation. ;)

Every lord who has appeared in Smash is present as a playable, an NPC or DLC in two or more games.

Marth - FE1, FE3, FE11, FE12, FE13
Ike - FE9, FE10, FE13
Roy - FE6, FE7, FE13
Lyn - FE7, FE13
By that logic we could add
Elincia - FE9, FE10, FE13
Micaiah - FE10, FE13
Ephraim - FE8, FE13
Erika - FE8, FE13
Anna - Every FE

and if you add the free spotpass character you can basically list everyone down for FE13. :p

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Ugh. Just Ugh.

"Relevance," as you all are saying, isn't even a factor at all. Roy's popular, and was planned for Brawl. They wouldn't just go, "Lol nope. Hurr Durr he's old."

That and replacing Marth would be the most dumb and illogical thing ever. He's essentially the face of the series.

As for what I see for SSB4, I think Marth and Ike are pretty much guaranteed, with Roy being the third for popularity, and Chrom coming in if they want to add a fourth, seeing as he's over all less popular as a Smash contender than the former three.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
At this point, who gives a ****. Whatever happens happens, and we should just take whatever happens for granted. No amount of crying will solve everything.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Ugh. Just Ugh.

"Relevance," as you all are saying, isn't even a factor at all. Roy's popular, and was planned for Brawl. They wouldn't just go, "Lol nope. Hurr Durr he's old."

That and replacing Marth would be the most dumb and illogical thing ever. He's essentially the face of the series.

As for what I see for SSB4, I think Marth and Ike are pretty much guaranteed, with Roy being the third for popularity, and Chrom coming in if they want to add a fourth, seeing as he's over all less popular as a Smash contender than the former three.
No way. First off Roys only popularity is only from smash bros. Few can say they think Roy represents the series well because his game was never even released outside of japan. Chrom being a maybe is absurd. Awakening is THE fastest selling FE game of all time, if we're talking about popularity Chrom should be the first on the list.

And with the tellius series through and Chrom being similar to Ike, i don't think we can guarantee ike being in SSB4.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
No way. First off Roys only popularity is only from smash bros.
So what? It's still popularity. Who are you to decide what sort of popularity does and doesn't count?

Hey. Y'know who else is only popular because of Smash Bros? Captain Falcon. Also, Ness and Lucas to an extent. Does that mean that they shouldn't be in the next Smash either?

@Opossum: Relevance is a factor, but it's a small one. A character not being "relevant" might not help their chances, but it sure as hell doesn't mean that there's zero chance of them showing up.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
R-Roy's chances are slim? Huh...huh...*hyperventilates* I guess zero relevance means he won't get in. Yeah, he's not relevant. Not relevant, not relevant, not relevant... 6_9

Anyway, the Sword of Seals can deliver unique moves and perhaps change Roy's playstyle all together. If you ever played FE6, you'll know that the fire sword is capable of dealing much more than physical attacks. It can create fire projectiles and heal Roy, there, fire magic right there. Will Sakurai take it a step further with Roy? Dunno. But honesty, to me the Sword of Seals's fire properties intrigues me more than Marth's and Ike's sword.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
So what? It's still popularity. Who are you to decide what sort of popularity does and doesn't count?

Hey. Y'know who else is only popular because of Smash Bros? Captain Falcon. Also, Ness and Lucas to an extent. Does that mean that they shouldn't be in the next Smash either?
They're not competing with a dozen other contenders. Whoever they add in the next smashbros will be popular simply because they're in it. If they add somebody more popular disregarding fame from melee then they'll be more popular than Roy in the next smash bros.
R-Roy's chances are slim? Huh...huh...*hyperventilates* I guess zero relevance means he won't get in. Yeah, he's not relevant. Not relevant, not relevant, not relevant... 6_9

Anyway, the Sword of Seals can deliver unique moves and perhaps change Roy's playstyle all together. If you ever played FE6, you'll know that the fire sword is capable of dealing much more than physical attacks. It can create fire projectiles and heal Roy, there, fire magic right there. Will Sakurai take it a step further with Roy? Dunno. But honesty, to me the Sword of Seals's fire properties intrigues me more than Marth's and Ike's sword.
Variance is why I think they should add the tactician, who uses tomes.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
No way. First off Roys only popularity is only from smash bros. Few can say they think Roy represents the series well because his game was never even released outside of japan. Chrom being a maybe is absurd. Awakening is THE fastest selling FE game of all time, if we're talking about popularity Chrom should be the first on the list.

And with the tellius series through and Chrom being similar to Ike, i don't think we can guarantee ike being in SSB4.

If anything, Smash popularity matters MORE than the popularity of the origin series. Sakurai sees that Roy is wanted, he was almost added into Brawl but was left out for time, and he's an easy semi-clone (or fully unique if Sakurai wants to do so...). It's not absurd at all.

All in all, Smash Bros. isn't a Congress. Characters don't come to represent their series. They are just there for themselves.

@Shinpichu

I know, I was just saying that people act like it was a definitive thing. Like, the end-all factor.

Okysho

Smash Ace
I think if Masked Marth makes an appearance, it'll be as an alt costume. I know that the Marth in awakening isn't Prince Marth Lowell of Altea, but they look fairly similar, and it appears that they fight the same way.

I can't make any statements myself about Roy, Crom or Ike. The only thing I can really stand by is the fact that Marth is more than likely to remain in the roster due to his being the face of Fire Emblem and his inclusion of 2 of the 3 Smash Brothers games.

Also because I think he's awesome..

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
They're not competing with a dozen other contenders. Whoever they add in the next smashbros will be popular simply because they're in it.
A dozen? Please. Realistically Roy is only competing with 2 or 3 characters at best. Really, only Roy, Chrom, maybe Lyn, and MAYBE Masked Marth stand a chance of getting in.

If they add somebody more popular disregarding fame from melee then they'll be more popular than Roy in the next smash bros.
And yet, despite them having done exactly that in Brawl, Roy is still popular.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I think Marth and Ike should stay. I still don't get what Chrom can really bring to the table.
*But I think Ike should get a new B special. And maybe a tweak to make his counter a little different.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Anyway, going around suggesting Marth will be replaced is a fool who knows nothing about Fire Emblem.

Secondly, I am seeing people cite "sales" as a reason Chrom will definitely get in ignoring that Ike's games were among the poorest selling games in the series yet he still got in (showing sales don't really matter when it comes to FE), and the example of Black/White (which sold better than every generation of Pokemon since Gold/Silver) no longer being considered "necessary" for a playable character as a result of X/Y coming out soon and Mewtwo being in the latest movie.

Lastly, as was mentioned before, Roy is more wanted than Chrom in general.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Wasn't Roy more wanted than Ike for Brawl? Didn't help him there.
No. People thought Roy was going to be cut (in the West) due to lies spread by the fanbases of other FE characters (that he was forced in by IS, that he was not popular in Japan, that his game sold poorly in Japan, etc.).

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
A dozen? Please. Realistically Roy is only competing with 2 or 3 characters at best. Really, only Roy, Chrom, maybe Lyn, and MAYBE Masked Marth stand a chance of getting in.
Tactician doesn't stand a chance? The person you play as and doesn't hold a rapier for once.
Micaiah and Sothe are pretty popular to people who actually play the series. And there's not a chance they would be a clone like roy is. Ignoring melee, even they had better claims to getting into SSB4.
And yet, despite them having done exactly that in Brawl, Roy is still popular.
I never said adding another character would make roy unpopular. I said it makes the new character more popular.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Tactician doesn't stand a chance? The person you play as and doesn't hold a rapier for once.
Micaiah and Sothe are pretty popular to people who actually play the series. And there's not a chance they would be a clone like roy is. Ignoring melee, even they had better claims to getting into SSB4.

I never said adding another character would make roy unpopular. I said it makes the new character more popular.
Barely, anyone asks for Lucina or My Unit though. Even in Japan (where they have much less of a problem with clones, and even Pichu gets requests to come back), does not ask for Lucina. That should tell you something.

For My Unit, the character would not work because it does not have a defined appearance or name. Secondly, if we were to somehow get a customizable character it would probably be the far more iconic Mii (whose series sales eclipse any Nintendo series not named Mario or Pokemon).

As for Micaiah, she is barely requested anymore. Sothe never comes up anymore either.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
He stands a chance. Not a remotely significant one, but a chance nonetheless. Also, the Avatar wasn't the first FE character not to use a rapier: That honor goes to Alm. I believe Sigurd didn't, and I'm not sure about Celice, nor did Hector, Lyn, Ephraim, or Ike

Sothe? Really? Also, it's pretty well accepted that Michaiah's role in RD is completely overshadowed by Ike.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Barely, anyone asks for Lucina or My Unit though. Even in Japan (where they have much less of a problem with clones, and even Pichu gets requests to come back), does not ask for Lucina. That should tell you something.

For My Unit, the character would not work because it does not have a defined appearance or name. Secondly, if we were to somehow get a customizable character it would probably be the far more iconic Mii (whose series sales eclipse any Nintendo series not named Mario or Pokemon).

As for Micaiah, she is barely requested anymore. Sothe never comes up anymore either.
Tactician does have a defined appearance. Put his hood up like they do in cutscenes and you're good. Its sort of like "Pokemon trainer". He has no name but he represents what the series is, training pokemon.
Fans always want to make sure a series never changes while the devs always want to make sure it does. Its no wonder people vouch for past characters like roy.
I don't get me wrong, I like roy but not as much as who else could take his place.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
They could always just pick a "canon" appearance, just like Bioware does for Commander Shepard. Though I still agree that Robin isn't likely, since s/he is the secondary character in the game.

Okysho

Smash Ace
The problem with judging which Fire Emblem character gets the second slot is due to the fact that there are so many main Fire Emblem characters. It's really hard to speculate without any massive credentials (such as... oh, being in a smash brothers game) even in this case, we can see that being in a Smash brothers game doesn't mean you can't be cut. Roy, Mewtwo and Pichu are examples of this.

Let's talk about something more fluid and less "I WANT DIS GUY!"

Assist trophies. Fire Emblem only had one AT in the last Smash Brothers, and I can see that since there are a lot of games Nintendo makes that doesn't have combat worthy characters (like Tom nook etc). And even more games that they'd like to do shoutouts to. (like that drill master game, Starfy and sim city (oddly))

That being said, the scope can expand. What Fire Emblem characters would make good ATs?
My pick? Sheeda. A single swooping attack on her pegesus. Others?

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
The problem with judging which Fire Emblem character gets the second slot is due to the fact that there are so many main Fire Emblem characters. It's really hard to speculate without any massive credentials (such as... oh, being in a smash brothers game) even in this case, we can see that being in a Smash brothers game doesn't mean you can't be cut. Roy, Mewtwo and Pichu are examples of this.

Let's talk about something more fluid and less "I WANT DIS GUY!"

Assist trophies. Fire Emblem only had one AT in the last Smash Brothers, and I can see that since there are a lot of games Nintendo makes that doesn't have combat worthy characters (like Tom nook etc). And even more games that they'd like to do shoutouts to. (like that drill master game, Starfy and sim city (oddly))

That being said, the scope can expand. What Fire Emblem characters would make good ATs?
My pick? Sheeda. A single swooping attack on her pegesus. Others?
Somebody like Athos using Forblaze. or any manakete.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I still say Tiki/Chiki would be the best Assist Trophy choice considering how she was a playable character in every FE game released after Brawl, and due to the overall importance of the dragon tribe to most of the games in the Fire Emblem series.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
They could always just pick a "canon" appearance, just like Bioware does for Commander Shepard. Though I still agree that Robin isn't likely, since s/he is the secondary character in the game.
I wouldn't say a secondary character. If you play to the end you'll realize the story cannot work without him. Hes equally important as chrom and appears in just about every main story conversation.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Characters should get in on merit and importance to their series and not because they're the newest popular character. Ike has that over both Chrom and Roy due to him having more appearances. Now it comes down to those two. Chrom is popular among FE fans while Roy is popular among Smash fans and as far as series representation goes they're about equal. Although Roy has the advantage of already being a Smash vet and that alone should out prioritize Chrom.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I don't know where the "Roy is not popular among FE fans" comes from. At least in Japan, he got at the top of two official polls in regards to Fire Emblem characters (ranked as the most popular character from his own game for a poll dealing with FE6, and ranked as the most popular character for a poll regarding the entire GBA FE trilogy).

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I wouldn't say a secondary character. If you play to the end you'll realize the story cannot work without him. Hes equally important as chrom and appears in just about every main story conversation.
Perhaps "secondary hero" is a better choice of words. He's still #2 to Chrom, and there's no evidence to suggest that we'll get more than one character per FE game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom