• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You get no Sympathy in a "Fire Emblem Discussion"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I'm pretty skeptical that we are going to get Roy given that Awakening is guaranteed a rep and FE almost certainly will not get more than 3 reps (if that). As such, Roy would need to replace Ike, and I don't see that happening.

My money's on Marth and Chrom for sure (he just makes sense, as it'll be good cross-promotion and Chrom does have a good amount of fans) and potentially Ike or Lucina if FE gets a 3rd slot. Also possible for Lucina to replace Marth, though that would seem much less likely.
No way is anyone every going to replace Marth. Anyone who knows anything about FE will tell you that. If we were to only have ONE FE character in Smash 4, it would be Marth. He just had a new game released under three years ago.

As for FE, its possible for the series to get four playable characters. Especially considering that the effort to reach that amount would be lower than that of other series. I think Sakurai will try his best to get Ike and Roy in Smash 4, and I don't think Chrom is a guarantee like you believe him to be so.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Next game, I want them to have a male Archer Lord, and a female Mage Lord. Togheter with the Green and Red Armor Knights, as opposed to have Green and Red Cavaliers. I think that would be sexy.
Next game, I'd love to see the male Lord be a Mage/Healer (White Magician Guy? Nah, more similar to a Red Mage) or even a Pegasus Knight. :awesome: There's always something that intrigues me about a male taking up a mage and/or healer role. I think because I view them to be more on the passive and meek side. It would be nice to see gender-swapped roles as well. Like, I'd love to see a female Axe Lord. Like a Fighter or Berserker. And she shall have the girliest name ever, like Barbie. jk jk. But perhaps a similar body build to Titania or Echidna.

Idk guys. If we do get 3 reps, I see Chrom competing for the 3rd slot with Roy. Urg, it feels like everyday passing day I lose more confidence in Roy. Help?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It would be similar to the sage class if he used tomes/ staves

There's no need to try and figure out what it's closest to in FF when FE already has a class that uses those exact same things.

Also, FF and dragon quest use Sages that do the exact same thing as well

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Idk guys. If we do get 3 reps, I see Chrom competing for the 3rd slot with Roy. Urg, it feels like everyday passing day I lose more confidence in Roy. Help?
Don't lose faith. Things were much, much more daunting during pre-Brawl than they are now.

Besides there is a little something to smile about. The "Red vs. Blue" DLC arc (in which the armies of Elibe led by Roy are at war against the armies of Tellius led by Ike) got localized as "Smash Brethren" capitalizing on the popularity Roy and Ike have within Smash Bros.

Also, just two weeks earlier the head of localization at NOA said that in Champions of Yore 3 that you would face off against "legendary characters such as Marth, Roy, and Ike."

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Don't lose faith. Things were much, much more daunting during pre-Brawl than they are now.
May I ask how were things during pre-Brawl? In terms of the FE fanbases? Especially in Roy's case, since you said it was more daunting.

Heh, I laughed at the "Smash Brethren". I thought it was kinda cute, and yeah, glad to see that Roy is still acknowledged.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
No way is anyone every going to replace Marth. Anyone who knows anything about FE will tell you that. If we were to only have ONE FE character in Smash 4, it would be Marth. He just had a new game released under three years ago.

As for FE, its possible for the series to get four playable characters. Especially considering that the effort to reach that amount would be lower than that of other series. I think Sakurai will try his best to get Ike and Roy in Smash 4, and I don't think Chrom is a guarantee like you believe him to be so.
I can't see FE getting the same amount of representation as Mario or Zelda, or even just one character less. FE is certainly popular, but it's not a Nintendo mainstay franchise.

As far as the FE characters go, the precedent of two games now tells us that the most recent FE game gets a rep, and indeed this is very sensible from a business standpoint as well. Nintendo very well could deviate from that practice, but all preceding evidence points to Awakening getting a rep, whether it be Chrom, Lucina, Robin, or what have you, and until proven otherwise it is reasonable to assume that Nintendo will follow an established precedent. The massive popularity of Awakening only solidifies the evidence established by both Melee and Brawl; adding an Awakening character will be very good cross-promotion for Smash as well as selling copies of Fire Emblem, a goal behind both Roy's and Ike's inclusions.

If Nintendo does alt costumes, and I hope they do, then we might well get a Roy skin, but I don't see him getting in over an Awakening rep or Ike. Roy just can't compete with an Awakening character for a third slot due to the age of his game, his absence in Brawl, the prior tradition established by earlier games, and the popularity of Awakening. As for Ike, it would make little sense to cut Ike to add Roy given that Ike has a heck of a lot of fans as well who would be very displeased with his removal; if Ike's going to go, it's going to be for a newer FE character.

Believe me, I can sympathize with wanting cut characters back in, but I just don't think that Roy has decent chances for anything more than an alt costume.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I can't see FE getting the same amount of representation as Mario or Zelda, or even just one character less. FE is certainly popular, but it's not a Nintendo mainstay franchise.
Um..yes it is. It's not one of the "Big 3", but it's up there.

As far as the FE characters go, the precedent of two games now tells us that the most recent FE game gets a rep, and indeed this is very sensible from a business standpoint as well. Nintendo very well could deviate from that practice, but all preceding evidence points to Awakening getting a rep, whether it be Chrom, Lucina, Robin, or what have you, and until proven otherwise it is reasonable to assume that Nintendo will follow an established precedent. The massive popularity of Awakening only solidifies the evidence established by both Melee and Brawl.
OH BOY DON'T YOU JUST LOVE PATTERNISTS.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Um..yes it is. It's not one of the "Big 3", but it's up there.
That's exactly my point. Only the Big 3 get that much representation.

OH BOY DON'T YOU JUST LOVE PATTERNISTS.
Snark all you want, but it's sound reasoning. Even if we completely exclude any previous design choices, Awakening is by all accounts the best-selling entry in the series, was very well received by critics, and came out very recently. If Nintendo is looking to move copies of Smash and, by extension, WiiUs, as well as 3DS units, an Awakening character is a must-have.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero

Believe me, I can sympathize with wanting cut characters back in, but I just don't think that Roy has decent chances for anything more than an alt costume.
What makes you think Mario and Pokemon won't be receiving newcomers in Smash 4? Also, although Zelda is a very popular series, there are no more popular re-occurring characters left to add, and many Zelda fans are overall satisfied with the series. Besides, there are much other ways for a series to receive more content besides characters (stages, items, music, trophies, bosses, stickers, etc.).

From polls I did in the past, people are most receptive to the idea of Fire Emblem and DK getting four playable characters. Four slots is more than enough to keep all the characters we already had in Smash Bros, while adding a new one from FE13.

Also, I will humor you. Let's suppose there can only be three slots for Fire Emblem. Why does there have to be a newcomer for FE13? Black/White was also the most successful games in the series since Gold/Silver yet people now don't assume it HAS to have a playable character. There still does not exist much excitement over the prospect of getting Chrom (or any other FE13 character). Heck, from looking at the Western fans of FE13, Chrom seems to be the least popular of the main characters from that game (although he is the closest to being the main star). In both Japan and the West, Roy still has more demand than Chrom.

With Ike there was a strong demand for his inclusion, while with Chrom the reception has been more tepid. Why should a new character be placed in merely for the sake of having a new character? Could there be other ways to represent FE13 besides playable characters?

Lastly, you are assuming there is a pattern merely from two points.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
That's exactly my point. Only the Big 3 get that much representation.
What do you mean by 'that much'? Do you mean 4 characters? Are you one of those people who think that there's some sort of 4-per franchise limit?

Snark all you want, but it's sound reasoning. Even if we completely exclude any previous design choices, Awakening is by all accounts the best-selling entry in the series, was very well received by critics, and came out very recently. If Nintendo is looking to move copies of Smash and, by extension, WiiUs, as well as 3DS units, an Awakening character is a must-have.
Well, yeah, an Awakening character is likely, but I don't see why that has to come at the exclusion of other characters. Also, 2 games is hardly precedence. If 2 something happening for 2 games established precedence, Diddy Kong, Lucas, and ZSS wouldn't have been in Brawl.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
FE certainly deserves more characters than Star Fox. :p

Anyway at this point I'm seeing 4 characters more and more likely with the fair amount of nods Roy/Ike keep receiving as well as FE13's reception (and in part because Pokemon has recently become more flexible). Also I'm definitely in agreement with the idea for Chrom's FS being a Dual Attack with Lucina to whoever suggested it a couple posts back.

•Col•

Smash Champion
FE certainly deserves more characters than Star Fox. :p
^This.

Lol @ this guy saying FE doesn't deserve more than 2 characters in SSB4. The Star Fox series has 3 characters right now, and has only had 7 games ever made. 6 if you don't count Star Fox 2 since it was never actually released. 5 if you don't count the Starfox 64 remake for the 3DS. 4 if you don't count Adventures. And if you do count Adventures, even then Starfox only has had FIVE original games that have been released.

There's also the fact that Brawl was going to have 3 FE reps to begin with...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
In Roy's defence, Fire Emblem is one of the quickest growing series of Nintendo. If they continue on with the series like this, maybe the series will become about as big as Kirby and Metroid are right now. So I think 4 characters is a good idea, and Roy makes an easier addition than other FE characters, cause he was already in Melee, and planned for Brawl. Plus, he could easily be a Luigied Marth clone, thus again, easier to add.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
^This.

Lol @ this guy saying FE doesn't deserve more than 2 characters in SSB4.
Did you read my posts? I think FE is going to have 3 reps, and it certainly deserves three. I do not think that it will have four, though an argument certainly could be made that it deserves four; however, an argument could be made that many other franchises deserve four as well.

There's also the fact that Brawl was going to have 3 FE reps to begin with...
I'm aware, but what Brawl was going to have is rather irrelevant given that what Brawl did have was 2 FE reps. When push came to shove, they decided that Roy was not worthy of inclusion and dropped him.

What makes you think Mario and Pokemon won't be receiving newcomers in Smash 4? Also, although Zelda is a very popular series, there are no more popular re-occurring characters left to add, and many Zelda fans are overall satisfied with the series. Besides, there are much other ways for a series to receive more content besides characters (stages, items, music, trophies, bosses, stickers, etc.).
What makes you think that the total amount of Mario or Pokemon slots will be increasing? Pokemon has six characters already and Mario in Brawl did not receive any more slots than it had in Melee, plus Mario already has its bases well covered.

From polls I did in the past, people are most receptive to the idea of Fire Emblem and DK getting four playable characters. Four slots is more than enough to keep all the characters we already had in Smash Bros, while adding a new one from FE13.
I'm sure people would love for Fire Emblem to get four slots; hell, I would. Fan opinion, however, does not dictate what is likely to be done by the dev team.

Also, I will humor you. Let's suppose there can only be three slots for Fire Emblem. Why does there have to be a newcomer for FE13? Black/White was also the most successful games in the series since Gold/Silver yet people now don't assume it HAS to have a playable character. There still does not exist much excitement over the prospect of getting Chrom (or any other FE13 character). Heck, from looking at the Western fans of FE13, Chrom seems to be the least popular of the main characters from that game (although he is the closest to being the main star). In both Japan and the West, Roy still has more demand than Chrom.
Roy has more demand among avid Smash fans because he was in a previous Smash game and cut; it's only natural that he would have high demand for his return. Unfortunately, as noted, fan demand does not always dictate business practices. I doubt many fans were requesting that Roy be cut in order to include Ike.

As for excitement, this is a rather abstract measure, and I am rather skeptical that there would not be much excitement for Chrom or Lucina given Awakening's massive popularity.

With Ike there was a strong demand for his inclusion, while with Chrom the reception has been more tepid. Why should a new character be placed in merely for the sake of having a new character?
Game sales and profits.

Lastly, you are assuming there is a pattern merely from two points.
I don't deny that it's not the strongest evidence, which is why I stated that Nintendo could very well change things up. However, you would have to be willfully ignorant to deny that there certainly exists a trend of Nintendo inserting into Smash whoever the most recent FE lord is in order to drive sales. Roy was cut to make room for Ike for a reason.

Financially, it makes far more sense for Nintendo to prioritize a FE13 character over Roy, and so I'm doubtful that Roy will appear in lieu of an Awakening character or Ike. If we get four slots for FE, Roy will quite likely return, but I don't see that happening given that many other franchises could justify an increase to four slots as well and that Sakurai has stated a desire to shine the limelight on some lesser-known characters again.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Many people in fact suggested Ike to replace Roy pre-Brawl actually. Most people where actually expecting this when cuts where announched. Not many suggested Marth, Roy AND Ike in the game. Marth and Ike was what most people suggested, sometimes with Lyn in there as well.

And it's much more likely Ike will stay in Smash then Roy returning. Much due to FE relevance, and Ike being a character with an original moveset. Chrom will withput doubt be the 3rd character, OR he'd get in even over Ike if they have a minimal roster. Which I sould detest... But yeah, 3 is most likely. Yet 4 isn't really out of question, and I think it really depends on Sakurai wanting Roy in or not. Which I think he does.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
do not think that it will have four, though an argument certainly could be made that it deserves four; however, an argument could be made that many other franchises deserve four as well.
There are not "many" other series that deserve four playable character. The only other series you could make as strong a case for deserving four playable characters is DK. Kirby and Star Fox could technically have four playable characters as well, however, demand is rather weak for those series to have four playable characters.

I'm aware, but what Brawl was going to have is rather irrelevant given that what Brawl did have was 2 FE reps. When push came to shove, they decided that Roy was not worthy of inclusion and dropped him.
It was likely the inclusion of Sonic and time constraints that bumped Mewtwo and Roy out of Brawl. Almost making it for Brawl and popularly requested for Smash 4 means there is a lot more going for him than a lot of other characters.

What makes you think that the total amount of Mario or Pokemon slots will be increasing? Pokemon has six characters already and Mario in Brawl did not receive any more slots than it had in Melee, plus Mario already has its bases well covered.
Because Mewtwo is the most wanted character for Smash 4, and no one wants to see any of the playable Pokemon in Brawl cut, so at the very least Pokemon would have five slots in Smash 4.

As for Mario, while its possible it won't have a newcomer, there is demand for Toad, Bowser Jr., Paper Mario, and Waluigi. Those characters are all popular and recognizable which cannot be said for much of the other remaining potential newcomer pool.

However, even if Mario does not get a newcomer. It still could have more content in other ways (stages, items, music, Assist Trophies, bosses, stickers, etc.).

New Super Mario Bros. Wii was the second highest selling home console game of all tiem in Japan. If you are going to press on about how FE13's success means we are guaranteed a FE13 character, then I guess NSBWii's success guarantees us getting either Toad or Bowser Jr.

I'm sure people would love for Fire Emblem to get four slots; hell, I would. Fan opinion, however, does not dictate what is likely to be done by the dev team.
And what puts you in the positions about what is likely to be done by the development team? I already said that its pretty much FE and DK of which there exists the most support for them to be expanded to four playable characters, and if Marth, Roy, and Ike are all very popular characters, and if FE13 HAS to have a character, why not just put them all in and satisfy everyone (especially considering how feasible it would be).

Roy has more demand among avid Smash fans because he was in a previous Smash game and cut; it's only natural that he would have high demand for his return. Unfortunately, as noted, fan demand does not always dictate business practices. I doubt many fans were requesting that Roy be cut in order to include Ike.
And what's to say they could not make money off of Roy in the future? They are already using the popularity of Marth, Roy, and Ike for FE13's DLC (heck, there is a DLC arc in FE13 called "Smash Brethren" which pits the armies of Elibe led by Roy versus the armies of Tellius led by Ike).

Its possible they could make a FE6 remake in the future, especially considering one of the higher-ups at Intelligent Systems has expressed interest in doing it.

As for excitement, this is a rather abstract measure, and I am rather skeptical that there would not be much excitement for Chrom or Lucina given Awakening's massive popularity.
I see very little support for Lucina on this forum (she does not even have a support topic). Support for Chrom is not much as well. Just look at the Smash 4 character poll on this forum, even Lyn has more votes than Chrom.

Game sales and profits.
As I said before, what makes you think Roy (and Ike) would not have future sales utility, when they even have it in the present.

Also, FE13 will be nearly three years old by the time Smash 4 releases in Japan, and nearly two years old in the West. By then, most sales are already done for a game (especially for a RPG).

I don't deny that it's not the strongest evidence, which is why I stated that Nintendo could very well change things up. However, you would have to be willfully ignorant to deny that there certainly exists a trend of Nintendo inserting into Smash whoever the most recent FE lord is in order to drive sales. Roy was cut to make room for Ike for a reason.
Micaiah was the most recent lord at the time of Brawl though. Secondly, Roy was not cut to make room for Ike, Roy was a lower priority though (however, Sakurai still had the intention of bringing him back). The very late inclusion of Sonic (by far the most wanted newcomer for Brawl) and having to include Sonic and all the various Sonic related content was likely what made Mewtwo and Roy miss out on Brawl (since their resources had to likely be re-allocated to getting Sonic in the game).

Financially, it makes far more sense for Nintendo to prioritize a FE13 character over Roy, and so I'm doubtful that Roy will appear in lieu of an Awakening character or Ike. If we get four slots for FE, Roy will quite likely return, but I don't see that happening given that many other franchises could justify an increase to four slots as well and that Sakurai has stated a desire to shine the limelight on some lesser-known characters again.
Sakurai has never said anything like that. We usually only get two retro character per Smash Bros. game (one of them this time will likely be Takamaru, with the other probably being a more bizarre choice like Mr. Game & Watch and ROB).

As for "many" other franchises that deserve an increase to four slots, as I said before, its pretty much just FE and DK.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
The mentality of people pre-Brawl was to replace Ike with Roy.

Now is to have both Ike and Roy.

Whether or not you consider the unused files in Brawl, this is good news. The people's mentality has become better. It means humanity still has a chance.

Now where have I left my popcorn bowl? Oh, I left it in just another Melee vs. Brawl thread.

Things are sure heating up here. I like it.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Many people in fact suggested Ike to replace Roy pre-Brawl actually. Most people where actually expecting this when cuts where announched. Not many suggested Marth, Roy AND Ike in the game. Marth and Ike was what most people suggested, sometimes with Lyn in there as well
Croph asked me earlier about how things were during pre-Brawl in regards to Fire Emblem, and things were far more complicated than that. There were tons of factions and backstabbing and infighting all over the place. You even had people insisting that Marth be cut as well.

I will get into that whole drama another time. However, during the end of pre-Brawl you had people with either Roy or Micaiah as the third FE character on their roster (if they had a third FE character that is).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yeah, stupid people expected Marth to be cut. And there was a bit of rivality between Ike and Lyn fans. But nothing too major. Was actually an active Ike supporter back in the day, and was extremely happy he got in. During that time I also played FE6 for the first time, so at the same time I was kinda sad to see Roy gone...

D

Deleted member

"When push came to shove, they decided that Roy was not worthy of inclusion and dropped him."
Implying that's the reason he was cut and not because there was not enough time to include him, Mewtwo, and Dr. Mario. :rolleyes:.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Yeah, stupid people expected Marth to be cut. And there was a bit of rivality between Ike and Lyn fans. But nothing too major. Was actually an active Ike supporter back in the day, and was extremely happy he got in. During that time I also played FE6 for the first time, so at the same time I was kinda sad to see Roy gone...
There was a big rivalry between Ike and Lyn fans. Lyn fans said Ike did not deserve to be in because he was just another blue haired sword-user and that being female made her more worthy, while Ike fans said that Lyn did not deserve to be in because she was not even the most important lord in the only game she was in and Ike was the most current lord.

Those two fanbases tried to beat down other fanbases as well (Hector, Micaiah, Eirika, and Ephraim).

You also had the Sigurd faction running around (while smaller than the Ike and Lyn fanbases, still very aggressive) saying lies to boost support for him.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Pre-Brawl there where a lot more rivalies between character supporters perioid. And the 'female = more worthy' principle basically was established by Lyn, Micaiah and Krystal fans. In the end, Ike turned outto be completely different from Marth anyway, and onky Chrom might push how many blue haired swordsmen should benin Smadh. But c'mon, we have Mario, Luigi and Wario (before even Mario, Luigi and Dr.Mario) and we have 3 space animals. We might also get Dixie Kong, so we get triple Kongs as well. Don't think it's bad at all, as long as all characters are unique. And in these cases, they will be.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Pre-Brawl there where a lot more rivalies between character supporters perioid. And the 'female = more worthy' principle basically was established by Lyn, Micaiah and Krystal fans..
I would throw Midna in there too. Its funny though how the fans of Krystal, Lyn, and Midna said they would get in over Wolf, Ike, and Toon Link since they were female and more "unique". Well (with the exception of Ike not being a clone, and Wolf was nearly a completely unique character as well), they were only half-right. :troll:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Nah, the overall more important characters got in in the end. Think that counts most.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
The arguments made by both of those factions are just plain awful. Must have been fun when Ike was confirmed and the month there after when Lyn was confirmed for AT status (which as a side note is a good example of just how well Sakurai knows fanbases).

Off topic, but at the moment I wonder what are the most radical fanbases for this game are so far.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Off topic, but at the moment I wonder what are the most radical fanbases for this game are so far.
The only really big fanbases so far are mostly for characters that deserve to be in (Ridley, Mega Man, Mewtwo, K. Rool).

The closest example we have today compared to what we had during pre-Brawl would maybe be Waluigi. However, even the Waluigi fanbase is not as fanatical as the Geno fanbase was during pre-Brawl.

Ghirahim might be another example. Maybe though. I am surprised that his fanbase is big as it is.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
K.Rool and Ridley. Though most K.Rool fans also want Dixie and vise versa. And Ridley is unrivalled, and only Anthony could add as a second newcomer for Metroid. Dixie fans also don't use her gender as an argument either. Otherwise, Inthink Takamaru and Chrom are mostly universally agreed on. Same with Palutena and Little Mac. Remember that time we thought Medusa had a shot?

Forgot about Mewtwo and Megaman.

Also, can someone give me a free 3DS or something? Kinda want one now. Badly.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
The arguments made by both of those factions are just plain awful. Must have been fun when Ike was confirmed and the month there after when Lyn was confirmed for AT status (which as a side note is a good example of just how well Sakurai knows fanbases).
Yeah, people bash Sakurai for some of his Asssist Trophy choices, but in reality most of them were pretty good. Waluigi and Tingle, I don't think are playable character material, but both clearly deserve some distinction for their popularity/notoriety.

Sakurai at the time also thought many of those smaller series (Ray MKIII, Starfy, Isaac, Little Mac, Saki, Barbara) were not worthy of being playable (Sakurai mentioned how he thought there were no series created after Pikmin worthy of being promoted to playable status, though technically, Ray, Isaac, Saki, and Little Mac all existed before Pikmin's release).

It will be curious to see whether new installments for Punch-Out, Golden Sun, Sin & Punishment, and Band Bros. changed his mind about any of them.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Funny thing is, all of the Pokemon choices (bar Raichu) on the Melee poll made it into Melee in some form or another. Same thing happened to the Pre-Brawl Pokemon (Blaziken, Gardevoir, Darkrai,) too.

I really do believe that Sakurai knows a lot more about the fanbases than people give him credit for, it's one of the reasons I'm betting we won't get a character poll this time around (also given just how long the game will have been in development by the time of it's reveal). Maybe there's hope for Impa yet... :troll: (the face is there, you just gotta stare hard enough)

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Funny thing is, all of the Pokemon choices (bar Raichu) on the Melee poll made it into Melee in some form or another. Same thing happened to the Pre-Brawl Pokemon (Blaziken, Gardevoir, Darkrai,) too.

I really do believe that Sakurai knows a lot more about the fanbases than people give him credit for, it's one of the reasons I'm betting we won't get a character poll this time around (also given just how long the game will have been in development by the time of it's reveal). Maybe there's hope for Impa yet... :troll: (the face is there, you just gotta stare hard enough)
Yeah, I think Sakurai really knows the fanbases really well, and I would not be surprised if there is no poll this time (that game will be further along in development than when he held the poll for Melee and Brawl).

I am expecting a late 2014 release for Smash 4.

I am very anxious to see what are first few characters Sakurai picks as newcomers this time around. Well just another 3.5 months to go I guess.

D

Deleted member

Correction, Chrono:
- Pikmin and Animal Crossing are the only Nintendo series introduced since 2001 that Sakurai feels are worthy of being given playable characters.
This wasn't for series "after Pikmin", this was for series that debuted in-between 2001 and the cut off date for character inclusions. Which includes Golden Sun, as it debuted in Japan in August of 2001. So Isaac is affected. Though Ray, Mac, and Saki aren't, because their series came out prior to 2001.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Correction, Chrono:

This wasn't for series "after Pikmin", this was for series that debuted in-between 2001 and the cut off date for character inclusions. Which includes Golden Sun, as it debuted in Japan in August of 2001. So Isaac is affected. Though Ray, Mac, and Saki aren't, because their series came out prior to 2001.
Where is your source from Golden? If it's fan translated, then it'd be less official than the interview Sakurai gave with Nintendo Power in 2008, in which he states:

One thing that was kind of a challenge is that we haven't had a lot of new characters from Nintendo since Captain Olimar [that could work well in a fighting game]; a lot of games have been Mario titles or new iterations of existing series.
Even if your source is also an official translation, at best that would give us conflicting information, though it only really applies to Sakurai's pre-Dark Dawn Brawl-standards view of Golden Sun.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
What the hell does this has to do with Fire Emblem? Golden Sun should be repped. Isaac is easily the most popular Assist Throphy character, maybe only after Little Mac, but still. I think the series warrants a playable character at least.

Also, to keep it Fire Emblem related, I wouldn't even dislike remakes of excisting games in the long run. I hope one day they'll actually properly remake FE4, FE6, and I don't think it's out of the question Path of Radiance will ever get a remake either. Same with Radiant Dawn. Also, am eager what Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem will bring for the series. And hopefully they'll make a proper Fire Emblem Wii U after this as well.

Which raises another interessting point I've been thinking of, should the games get more sequels? Like, should FE14 be a sequel to Awakening perhaps? Or should they try to localise the older games first by remakes? The cast the Fire Emblem universe has is enourmous, and there are a lot of likeable characters. In that case, I wouldn't even mind remakes, as you get to play with these same characters again. I also hope after a while they do something like Awakening did as well with bringing old characters back. I think that had got me most hyped for Awakening.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Wow, interesting debates happened while I was gone.

Anyway, FE6 remake or sequel = awesomesauce.

About the SMT x FE, I've heard people talk about how there might not be a FE game for Wii U because of it. I don't think that's true (or at least hope not). FE is a strong and popular series, I'd love to see creative minds come together and pull off a game (or two) for the Wii U.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Zelda has two titles on Wii, and even the Wii U will have Wind Waker HD and Zelda Wii U. It's possible that in a couple of years they'll make a Fire Emblem Wii U. Series which do well tend to have spin offs. So, Fire Emblem has a spin off. And cause it does well, it'll likely have a game to.

D

Deleted member

Where is your source from Golden? If it's fan translated, then it'd be less official than the interview Sakurai gave with Nintendo Power in 2008, in which he states:

Even if your source is also an official translation, at best that would give us conflicting information, though it only really applies to Sakurai's pre-Dark Dawn Brawl-standards view of Golden Sun.
Funny you should ask. It comes from Chrono himself translating the 2008 Famitsu.
http://www.smashboards.com/threads/304894/page-2491#post-14363793

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
And suddenly, we all started to talk about Sigurd!

ChronoBound

Smash Hero

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704

Even if we got a poll, at this point I highly doubt it would change the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom